Commander Luke Skywalker: Chewy says Hi?

Replies

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    For startees, the Chewy we have now is terrible. He should b a beast. He'll rip your arms off if u beat him at holo-table. He shouldn't hit like a girl w/ the flu and the sun in her eyes.

I look forward to a future update where we get an attack-oriented Chewy that has OG Han synergy and they get the Falcon.

Who cares if Chewy looks the same.
  • Options
    2 Hans
    2 Asokas
    2 Keobis

There will be a lot more duplicates with The last Jedi comes out i bet...
    I 'd love to be a Jedi... But I sure as hell would use the dark side too...
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    ViperPete wrote: »
    2 Hans
    2 Asokas
    2 Keobis

There will be a lot more duplicates with The last Jedi comes out i bet...

2 reys
    2 Finns
    2 Poes
    2 Kylos
    2 Kylo ship's (The new one will be farmable, but the one we already have stills unfarmable)
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    The clone wars chewie tag needs to drop. He's the same character throughout all he movies, just like R2, so they need to go ahead and give him rebel and resistance tags too

That's like saying that you're the same Tuftedpuff you were when you were 5 years old.
  • Options
    Ravib wrote: »
    Rather than require 9 five-star characters, they should've had Chewie or Wedge rather than R2-D2.

I mean Luke is going to be one of, if not the best, characters in the game... I don't know if he should totally be accessible to everyone right off the bat and should be one of the toughest farms in the game (still easier than GK)
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    Options
    9aS5QV3h.jpg
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    9aS5QV3h.jpg

2 sad 4 me :'(
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    9aS5QV3h.jpg

Where is this from?? All of them are getting reworks? Sweet mother of (insert word here)!
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Ender22 wrote: »
    9aS5QV3h.jpg

Where is this from?? All of them are getting reworks? Sweet mother of (insert word here)!

That's an in-game message
  • Options
    aperingo wrote: »
    The Chewie in the game is from clone wars, we don't have the one from the original trilogy,
    Yet...

To play devil's advocate, if we're going down the snapshot in time argument, I'm pretty sure Old Ben was gone before Luke became Commander Skywalker.

That said, I think it's a good lineup of heroes related to Luke, would have been cool if Chewy or Raid Han could have been used as alternates, i.e. pick 5 of 7 but either way I won't get him this time.

I hope it comes back again at some time and gives me something to aim for (though Old Ben will take me some time).
  • LRMoser
    139 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When I watch The Clone Wars on Netflix I believe Clone War Chewie is CGI and Original Trilogy Chewie is a Costume so there is one physical difference. But that is just a bad joke.

The argument that because they look the same they must be the same does not take in account the life experience Chewie gained since the Clone Wars. He went from the Wookie Military leader to a smuggler. Just as much time passed from General Kenobie to Old Ben for him to learn some new tricks and due to age have lost some tricks.

I agree with the OP that Chewie is just as much apart of Luke's Journey as the other characters. What I would prefer is that they change the Clone War Chewie and Create a new Chewie. Clone War Chewie would have Galactic Republic, Jedi, and Clone Synergies and regular Chewie would have Scoundrel, and Rebel synergies.

To me unfortunate that is not the direction the game went in but I think it would be nice and maybe in a future update.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    Mattikin wrote: »
    The Chewie in the game is from clone wars, we don't have the one from the original trilogy,
    Yet...

To play devil's advocate, if we're going down the snapshot in time argument, I'm pretty sure Old Ben was gone before Luke became Commander Skywalker.

That said, I think it's a good lineup of heroes related to Luke, would have been cool if Chewy or Raid Han could have been used as alternates, i.e. pick 5 of 7 but either way I won't get him this time.

I hope it comes back again at some time and gives me something to aim for (though Old Ben will take me some time).

Haha, I knew that this argument could easily be made to counter the time argument. Alas, this is what we have. Perhaps, since he was there in spirit the whole time... :)
  • JD010
    16 posts Member
    Options
    Personally, I find Yoda's omission more puzzling.

Adding Yoda to the list and taking out Luke(himself) would make this event even more exclusive from the eyes of EA, and, well, who trained Luke?
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    Options
    JD010 wrote: »

Adding Yoda to the list and taking out Luke(himself) would make this event even more exclusive from the eyes of EA, and, well, who trained Luke?

Yoda will likely be needed in the next part
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Yoda trained him to be a Jedi, that's the final step. That'll be when we see Jedi Luke, this is commander Luke
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Ravib wrote: »
    Rather than require 9 five-star characters, they should've had Chewie or Wedge rather than R2-D2.

But R2, other than Ben, is the main toon to put Luke on his journey.

But I do agree - its sad they did not release a new chewie before this event - where's the love?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Lots of people are giving @SWGAMER6 a hard time since he believes chewy is more or less the same character throughout the saga. Well i agree with him. Im not going to whine and moan that the luke event is unfair (i definitely dont have all of the required toons), but since the release of R2, there is absolutely precedent for a toon whose tags span multiple eras. I dont see why chewy couldnt drop the "clone wars" part of his name then have resistance and rebel tags. Also, they have changed the names of toons so there is also precedent for dropping "clone wars".

Im not angry that clone wars chewy doesnt have rebel/resistance tags, im just stating that there is absolutely precedent for this kind of a change.

I've said it before @DatBoi I 100% agree with you on this issue.

Maybe we will get an alternate version of chewie in the Territory Battles? or perhaps we will get the official Chewie with all necessary tags upon the release of the Han Solo movie next year - but that's a long wait for a toon that is needed for luke's continued journey.

It would be much easier to just rework the old Wook and give him what he needs, in regard to tags, but also pep him up a bit and make him as viable as R2 at least.

I am also with @SWGAMER6 - the reason R2's various tags work is because R2's appearance never changes (3P0's does - no coverings, metallic, gold with metal leg, then a red arm, but R2's appearance never changes).

Like R2, Chewie's appearance never changes - he may hold a different looking bowcaster in ROTS but he doesn't really look any different.

I think he deserves a simple re-work and re-tagging.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    SWGAMER6 wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder ColonelTravass.

You can't be serious. Chewbacca is the same whether clone wars or ROTS or TFA. He doesn't change. His look doesn't change. His weapon doesn't change. So what the heck would you do with different iterations of the same character when the only thing different about them is there tag? How does that mesh with your logic colonel?

Hey that's funny what you did to my name. Really. Great job. Now let's get back to your mistakes.

1.) What you think Chewbacca should be doesn't matter. What matters is what the game thinks.

2.) Not only did the game long ago set a precedent different versions of characters, Clone Wars Chewbacca is the very first character you get in the game - not plain ol' Chewbacca. You get Clone Wars Chewbacca. That should have fired some neurons in your brain that said - hmmm, I see they've designated him this way, which probably means something.

3.) A character labeled as coming from the Clone Wars, no matter what you think, is not a character that interacted with Luke in his journey from Tatooine to blowing up the Death Star.

I have a feeling you will be bothered by this as you make your way through junior high school or wherever you'll be for the next 3-4 years.

lol. So enjoyable to discuss this with you ColonelTravass. Let's see if you can understand this...don't worry I'll go slow for you and I'll try not to distract you with complaining.

If we were to get a new hope Chewbacca what do you think would differentiate him from the clone wars Chewbacca besides the label? Can you think of a different outstanding ability new hope Chewbacca should have that clone wars Chewbacca doesn't have? Would you give him a different weapon? What besides the tag would be different?

I don't think anything would be different between the two characters because they are basically the same character with the same look. What I think will eventually happen is that the clone wars Chewbacca is going to get an update and the clone wars tag is going to be changed to rebel and resistance. Would you not agree that his clone wars tag has always been and continues to be both useless and confusing?

So what I'm saying is that for Chewbacca, regardless of how you may feel about game vs movie, because he is based on the movie character, will always be the same character with the same look and the same weapon. His tag is just useless -- it means nothing. If you disagree then tell me what purpose his clone wars tag has.

This is saddening. chewie is a deep character with rich history and multifaceted character development. This is hurtful and chewie would be insulted.

Also His weapon later in life is a modified storm trooper blaster.
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    Yet...

That's ****. Chewie is the same character in all the movies for crying out loud.

So is Luke. And we're getting a 2nd one.
    Not sure if you've noticed but this game ain't the movies. It's the game.

What are you talking about? Lukes character progresses. Chewie doesn't change. The game is mostly based on the movies. Not sure if you've noticed this. Duh

Actually he does, or at least his crossbow does, Clone Wars Chewbacca uses a different one
    https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/05/Chewbacca_Bowcaster_TFA.png/revision/latest?cb=20151120013713
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Ender22 wrote: »
    Yet...

Haha, I knew that this argument could easily be made to counter the time argument. Alas, this is what we have. Perhaps, since he was there in spirit the whole time... :)

What argument - the argument is flawed.

We do not have CLS yet.

We still play as FBLuke, with Ben, R2, STHan and Leia escaping the death star - after the escape and Ben's death, Luke then blows up the Death Star and is promoted to Commander.

So the toon requirements and timeline in that regard are correct.

Once we unlock CLS, we can turn our attention to possible toon requirements in TESB.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Jamesm wrote: »

Yoda will likely be needed in the next part

A data mine that I posted ages ago, included toons such as R2, Wicket, Paploo, Logray all long before they came out.

In that same data mine video, there is a new version of Yoda - Hermit Yoda, who will likely be released at some point in the near future and will be required to continue Luke's journey.

The Yoda currently in-game is Grand Master Yoda and a member of the Republic - who also weilds a lightsaber. Hermit Yoda is quite different, and will likely not use a lightsaber - similar to EP
  • Pyrefly
    1254 posts Member
    Options

But Old Ben isn't teaming up with Commander Skywalker, is he? He's teaming up with Farmboy Luke on Luke's journey to later become Commander Skywalker.
    swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »

But Old Ben isn't teaming up with Commander Skywalker, is he? He's teaming up with Farmboy Luke on Luke's journey to later become Commander Skywalker.

Ohhhhhhhh, nice.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be funny if they surprise dropped Chewbacca on us and we're like "You get this toon as your ally"
  • Lumpawarump
    111 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Go re-play Dark Side normal node 6-H. Chwebacca, *not* "Clone Wars" Chewbacca, is a NPC.
  • Options
    I assume it's because 6 is the total we can use and for the event well be using the new Luke with
  • Options
    Pyrefly wrote: »

Okay i never thought of that as Luke doesn't become Commander Skywalker until Empire Strikes Back, which is a fair bit after Ben's death.

If it's the escape they're playing out, it might have been a nice idea to have the escape from the death star as one battle, with a 2nd stage being a ship battle where you have Luke's X-Wing, the Millennium Falcon, Wedge, Biggs and Ackbar try to destroy the Death Star to gain Commander Luke.

• Options
    Yet...

That's kitten. Chewie is the same character in all the movies for crying out loud.

Yet we get an R2-D2 with all those tags and he counts for all eras. Why not same for Chewie
  • ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    PR01Zeus wrote: »
    Yet...

That's kitten. Chewie is the same character in all the movies for crying out loud.

Yet we get an R2-D2 with all those tags and he counts for all eras. Why not same for Chewie

1.) We're using game rules, as well as movie rules. The game says that the only Chewbacca available for we the players right now is the Clone Wars version. It doesn't make that distinction with R2. Luke wasn't with Clone Wars Chewbacca, therefore you can 't use him. Case closed.

2.) It's not just a tag issue. Again, let's examine the movies for this part of the journey: Chewbacca didn't have the relationship with Luke that Leia did, that Han did, that R2 did, that Old Ben did. Yeah he was in the same movies but that in and of itself isn't enough. How often were Chewie and Luke even together with no one else around them? What is so special about the Luke and Chewie relationship? Maybe the next part of the journey the game will allow a new Chewbacca in there. Maybe not. If someone can make an argument that Chewbacca's relationship with Luke supersedes that of Han, Old Ben, Leia or R2, then make it. I'm not seeing anyone do that. I'm seeing people who are most likely mad because they have Chewbacca at 7* or can get him there, and would rather substitute him for a character they can't get to 7*.
  • Options
    PR01Zeus wrote: »
    Yet...

1.) We're using game rules, as well as movie rules. The game says that the only Chewbacca available for we the players right now is the Clone Wars version. It doesn't make that distinction with R2. Luke wasn't with Clone Wars Chewbacca, therefore you can 't use him. Case closed.

2.) It's not just a tag issue. Again, let's examine the movies for this part of the journey: Chewbacca didn't have the relationship with Luke that Leia did, that Han did, that R2 did, that Old Ben did. Yeah he was in the same movies but that in and of itself isn't enough. How often were Chewie and Luke even together with no one else around them? What is so special about the Luke and Chewie relationship? Maybe the next part of the journey the game will allow a new Chewbacca in there. Maybe not. If someone can make an argument that Chewbacca's relationship with Luke supersedes that of Han, Old Ben, Leia or R2, then make it. I'm not seeing anyone do that. I'm seeing people who are most likely mad because they have Chewbacca at 7* or can get him there, and would rather substitute him for a character they can't get to 7*.

I appreciate your point of view but I disagree. Chewy should be an option to use when collecting CLS.

The original point of this post was not to get bogged down in where the game is at in relation to the movies nor is it intended to prompt the Devs into defending their perspective of where chewy is at now or their future plans.

It is simply my personal opinion that as a core member of the team that escaped from the death star and propelled the farmboy into the rebellion then it would have been much closer to the narrative to allow Chewy to be an option for the CLS event.

There are 6 members of Phoenix and only 5 could be used to collect thrawn so a similar process could have been used notwithstanding Chewy's current game status.

So IMO it is a missed opportunity to have not updated / introduced a Chewy that could be a part of this squad that is a (and maybe even THE) defining moment of Episode IV.
    | ANZGC | Exile |