Tank2-D2 on a Rouge Hope Squad

Has anyone ever tried to mod R2 as a tank on a rebel squad?
I tend to think Potency and Speed sets (sometimes Tenacity) are the way to go with R2. But would full Health sets be at all useful under a zeta Jyn lead with Princess Leia? Like, can one get enough health to make the 40% health increase from Number Crunch worthwhile? Can that work in tandem with Jyn's zeta lead and Leia's buffs to result in a hearty R2 who's always gaining protection?
I'm thinking there's a few ways to go about it:
  • 2 Protection primaries, a Speed primary and a Tenacity primary
  • 1 Protection, Health, Speed, and Tenacity primary each
  • 2 Health primaries, one Speed primary and a Tenacity primary
Now I'm not talking about R2 as a backup tank, like alongside Baze. I'm wondering if R2 can use Smoke Screen as an effective taunt on a rebel team with the aid of Number Crunch and a zeta'd Jyn. If the answer is No, what about with a lesser tank like S.R. Pathfinder, K-2SO, Kanan, or even Chopper? If the answer is yes, do you need Chirrut; would R2 need two party members feeding buffs for this to work?
If anyone is able to test any of this out please share your findings.

TL;DR: Can R2-D2 tank on a Rebel squad with Health set mods?
314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease

Replies

• Options
    Still wondering about this.
    314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease
  • Options
    It's an interesting thought. I don't have R2 Zeta to try.
  • Options
    You're gonna face a Baze/B2/Deathtrooper and instantly regret not having an actual tank at some point
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Both Chopper and K2 can act as Primary tanks and R2 gets more sustainability from those droids with double tags.
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Both Chopper and K2 can act as Primary tanks and R2 gets more sustainability from those droids with double tags.

You may be onto something, hide raid han and DN behind that line up.
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    I have used R2 as a tank with Rebels - alongside three attackers and one additional support. He works rather well on offense that way when you can select him as the tank with his stealth, but you have a decent liability on defense when you can't be sure he'll be assigned as the tank.

I actually didn't even have to put three entire health sets on him. When I used him that way, I did one set each of health, potency, and crit chance so I could make maximum use of his zetas and the way he functions as mod sets for other characters. You can divide up the sets however you want, but I put these primaries on: offense square, speed arrow, defense diamond, crit chance triangle, protection circle, potency cross.

You can play around with different sets if you want to boost health and protection more, but maxing the zeta usage helps you stay around a little bit better on defense without creating much of a liability of defense.
  • Options

I run what I call Brogue Squadron--Wiggs and K-ssian plus SRP--so my K is pretty beefy. This is a newer account and very rebel focused so I don't have Solo, and Nihilus needs some work but I could probably run Jyn zErso, Cass, K, R2-z2, and Nihi by next week. I've been sitting on this account's first zeta for a few weeks now and don't know what to do. It's been so long I'm only a 2 mats away from my second. My Brogue Squadron is doing really well and I've considered just putting it on Cassian but that seems like a waste.

• Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options
    Push2Stops wrote: »

I run what I call Brogue Squadron--Wiggs and K-ssian plus SRP--so my K is pretty beefy. This is a newer account and very rebel focused so I don't have Solo, and Nihilus needs some work but I could probably run Jyn zErso, Cass, K, R2-z2, and Nihi by next week. I've been sitting on this account's first zeta for a few weeks now and don't know what to do. It's been so long I'm only a 2 mats away from my second. My Brogue Squadron is doing really well and I've considered just putting it on Cassian but that seems like a waste.

Cassian was my third zeta and I truly regret it. I ran him for a while in arena with Wiggs, K2, and R2. Decent squad at the time. Save the zeta for someone else though.
  • Napoli
    544 posts Member
    Options

Just beware that DN is almost a throwaway toon now when facing CLS leads. I used to have to worry about stunning him early, but now I leave him alone so he'll use his AoE. I take him out by his second one without having every actually hit him on offense.
  • Options
    doubt it would work.
    R2 may be a tanky support, but DO note his use is centered around his not dying and allowing his crit-cleanse and across-the-board buffs to stick. Hence most keep him behind a Baze/GK/DN protection.
  • Options
    You're gonna face a Baze/B2/Deathtrooper and instantly regret not having an actual tank at some point

I haven't seen B2 or DT since arena in forever. Baze more so often, but he is slowly diminishing
  • Options
    I haven't seen B2 in forever and only seen Deathtrooper once and that was yesterday. I'm top 30 on an April 16' shard.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options

I haven't seen B2 or DT since arena in forever. Baze more so often, but he is slowly diminishing

And he is very slow, so you can stun/fracture/AB him
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]