Why Light Side is the perfect decision for TB.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Mzee wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Mzee wrote: »
    It was poor timing. Dark side already are getting stomped on, and this makes it worse. Dark Side are inferior in every aspect of the game already, and dark side users in my guild (including me) are understandably very upset.

And, for everyone saying DS will get their event in the future, it seems likely, but there is no guarantee, and when will it come out? 6 months, a year? Unless there was an announcement this argument just isn't one right now.

Exactly. Saying “well you’ll get one in the future” isn’t a valid response because 1) you don’t know that 2) am I supposed to be not disappointed because MAYBE in another year I can finally use the best characters on my roster?

The fact that dark side characters are not up to par competitively with light side is already frustrating enough, but they seem intent on not just maintaining that gap, but making the it bigger.

Well, if you think dark side is that much worse than light side already, wouldn't that also mean that it's very fortunate that TB is light side?
    I'm one of the people who believes there's bound to be a DS TB, so making the first 1 LS makes perfect sence to me. More LS characters ingame, large rebel faction so that alot of players meet the restrictions for specific battles rather easily (obviously not the cpt han, HRsoldier ones ofcourse). Pretty much just easier across the board for your average player than a DS TB map.
    I can only guess why they didn't just make it DS and LS, wich is kinda lame that they didn't, but maybe they thought having to have DS teams aswell would make it too difficult to get a team together for DS restrictions aswell. I don't know. One thing is for sure though, DS is gonna suck for a whole lot more people than LS.

Amplify an existing imbalance issue between the 2 sides sounds like a good decision... This is the way I see it. I'd rather they work on lessening the issue instead.

That's another way of looking at it.
    To me that sounds like hypothetically wanting to use bounty hunters / resistance (6 man faction) instead of empire / jedi (15/18 man faction) to unlock R2D2 / yoda because of the imballance between the two factions.
    I'm not really into that whole DS vs LS stuff though, so for me it doesn't matter whether a toon is LS or DS. Having lots of toons to choose from in events/game modes that have character restrictions is favourable imo, especially in game modes.
    The credit heist for example requires scoundrels instead of just bounty hunters and 3 out of 5 legendary events are restricted to the larger factions ingame. I'm pretty sure that is to make those events more accessible for the players, not (just) because there's a "LS/rebel bias".
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The problem is that any imbalance is only in your mind. For almost all content you can use mixed squads.

It sucks you can't use dark side characters in this particular Territory Battle, but eventually there will be one that uses dark side characters.

Liking the evil characters is all well and good and go ahead and farm them, but if you're ignoring over half the characters in the game because all you want are the evil ones, then that's on you.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Light is popular. Like, way more popular. Way, way, way more popular. Star Wars is the story of the Light Side beating up the Dark Side and taking its lunch money. Sure, Dark Side is cool and edgey in a "Zach Snyder makes the best movies so dark and grin" kind of way. But it's the losing side and it's the evil side. Why wouldn't the first Battle be Light-oriented?

I don't think that the light side is "way, way, way more popular." That just doesn't line up with my opinions or the opinions of anyone I've ever talked to, which doesn't mean it's not true, but it makes me question the statement. Here's the reasoning: I've met lots of people who absolutely love the dark side but never have I seen a rabid light side fan. The only light side faction that has a large fanbase are the Jedi, and most people like them not because they are good guys, but because they use lightsabers and the force. I can't imagine that the rebel faction has much of a fan base except for 12 year olds who love the show.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Light is popular. Like, way more popular. Way, way, way more popular. Star Wars is the story of the Light Side beating up the Dark Side and taking its lunch money. Sure, Dark Side is cool and edgey in a "Zach Snyder makes the best movies so dark and grin" kind of way. But it's the losing side and it's the evil side. Why wouldn't the first Battle be Light-oriented?

I don't think that the light side is "way, way, way more popular." That just doesn't line up with my opinions or the opinions of anyone I've ever talked to, which doesn't mean it's not true, but it makes me question the statement. Here's the reasoning: I've met lots of people who absolutely love the dark side but never have I seen a rabid light side fan. The only light side faction that has a large fanbase are the Jedi, and most people like them not because they are good guys, but because they use lightsabers and the force. I can't imagine that the rebel faction has much of a fan base except for 12 year olds who love the show.

this is an odd statement by a guy who choose "bistan_lover" as username, lol.
  • Options

this is an odd statement by a guy who choose "bistan_lover" as username, lol.
    My attraction to Bistan is purely physical

• Options
    Rogee wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Did you know that 83% of people have on at least one occasion made up completely fake stats out of thin air to prove a point?

But I have a pie chart to give validity to my bogus claims.

piechart-copy.jpg

I raise you...

4/5 dentists recommend AGAINST pie charts, and pie
  • Options
    Riffinator wrote: »
    Riffinator wrote: »
    ZephimyrAC wrote: »
    it could be argued that all the rebel love we have seen thus far has been geared toward these territory battles..

That wouldn't be a good argument

It wouldn't be a good argument because it's a fact.

Says who? For the longest time we had been told we could use our ENTIRE rosters, not just rebels

Less than Half of our ENTIRE roster is near to useless/not nearly as viable as all of the LS toons this game has been getting lately. Count the LS and DS toons. Which side has more? What LS faction is weak or useless? None other than Lobot really. You look at the DS and BH, NS, Tuskens, Droids and Separatists are all very weak factions still. It's a shame they didn't give Empire a buff in this TB. It would be cool to fight the opposite way against the Rebels with DS bonuses.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    Jinks wrote: »
    It's true. It is a game. Games are meant to be played. I went out and got some fancy new kit for my matches but was told by the refs at the last minute that my brand is not allowed on the pitch. This is contrary to their misleading guidance in the run up to the matches. Clearly some favoritism here.

99% of Americans have no idea what the heck you just said here...
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    Options
    Possibly. I'm American and understand it and the discussion here is probably wasted on your typical patriotic light side boot licker ;). However in the spirit of fairness I will provide translation:

It's like I went out and got me a friggin semi-automatic assault rifle to legally hunt rabbits and stuff and then those dang good fer nuthin liberal wussies tried to ban me from usin' it.
  • Options
    Rogee wrote: »
    I don't know about everyone else... /sarcasm/
    but my first free and unlocked characters were Light Side... the Dark Side characters came a little later.

No need to fret, they will release a Dark Side TB in the future. And for the (I'm guessing/speculating this figure) 25% of the player base that focused on Dark Side, are the ones upset that first TB is LS.

IF YOU were the developer, you would target the largest audience for success initially, i.e. the other 75% of the playerbase that has strong LS roster. Hence it's less impactful to upset 25% instead of the 75%.

Once both LS and DS TB are in full effect this will be a non-issue. And the same for new players who won't have a bias that they expect the game to conform to their imposed character focus. Also, imagine the uproar from the 75% about how the required DS take much longer to farm than most of the LS. Everyone would suffer the less rewards and much longer ramp up time to be prepared for a DS TB.

What fantasy of yours did you pull that % from?
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    Options
    All unsubstantiated percentiles are generated on the planet Uranus.
  • Options
    If the majority of the player base has focused on light side, to the detriment of dark side toons, it would make more sense from a profiteering POV to make TB require dark side toons.
    So that people would then have to spend money buying packs /crystal refreshes for farming what they didn't have.

And to those saying a ds battle map is coming -- are you sure? When? Next August??
    Prove it, or keep it to yourself.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    slugbahr wrote: »
    If the majority of the player base has focused on light side, to the detriment of dark side toons, it would make more sense from a profiteering POV to make TB require dark side toons.
    So that people would then have to spend money buying packs /crystal refreshes for farming what they didn't have.

And to those saying a ds battle map is coming -- are you sure? When? Next August??

Why don't you start doing that yourself? I for one like to see you try to prove that LS focused players would need to spend money if TB was DS.
  • slugbahr
    365 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why don't you start doing that yourself? I for one like to see you try to prove that LS focused players would need to spend money if TB was DS.

My first paragraph is an opinion. Do you have a problem with that? It's kind of hard to prove a hypothetical opinion of the future.

My second paragraph is directed at people saying with a false sense of certainty that a particular future will happen. I for one would like to see them try to prove that is the case.
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    Options
    The one thing you can count on is the desire to make as much money with as little effort as possible. Human nature. The mechanics for a DS TB now exist. Even have a map if they just flip it. They have a couple new Empire toons that look underwhelming and therefore prime to be required for the DS version. Lord only knows when the accountants will release the DS TB but it will come. Hopefully not after the DS guys are wretchedly behind in Arena.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

My first paragraph is an opinion. Do you have a problem with that? It's kind of hard to prove a hypothetical opinion of the future.

My second paragraph is directed at people saying with a false sense of certainty that a particular future will happen. I for one would like to see them try to prove that is the case.

I do not have a problem with opinions, i just find it weird that you're debating possible scenario's with outcomes based on assumptions, but tell others they need to keep their assumptions to themselves or support their assumptions with proof.
    Asking people to prove the unprovable to make a point is just lame. Especially because you included the "keep it to yourself" part. I believe there's a DS TB map comming in the future, but because i can't prove it i can't share my prediction?
    Obviously i'm not 100% sure, anyone who believes (s)he's 100% sure is fooling him/herself. Same goes for anyone who puts their faith in someone who claims to be 100% sure. However, i find it very likely that a DS map is comming in the future so i'm preparing for that to happen. Yes, preparing without being 100% sure. I did the same thing with farmboy luke.
  • Options

I do not have a problem with opinions, i just find it weird that you're debating possible scenario's with outcomes based on assumptions, but tell others they need to keep their assumptions to themselves or support their assumptions with proof.
    Asking people to prove the unprovable to make a point is just lame. Especially because you included the "keep it to yourself" part. I believe there's a DS TB map comming in the future, but because i can't prove it i can't share my prediction?
    Obviously i'm not 100% sure, anyone who believes (s)he's 100% sure is fooling him/herself. Same goes for anyone who puts their faith in someone who claims to be 100% sure. However, i find it very likely that a DS map is comming in the future so i'm preparing for that to happen. Yes, preparing without being 100% sure. I did the same thing with farmboy luke.

My 'issue' with people bringing up a ds map in the future is that they are making that 'prediction' in response to people's understandable complaints about the lack of one right now. Telling them is all going to be ok because one is coming. Do they know this? Really?
  • Options

i did the same w old ben. i agree 100% w this comment
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

My 'issue' with people bringing up a ds map in the future is that they are making that 'prediction' in response to people's understandable complaints about the lack of one right now. Telling them is all going to be ok because one is coming. Do they know this? Really?

well, the way i see it there are 3 options. 1) TB will remain LS only. 2) There will be a DS TB map in the future. 3) There will be a mixed DS/LS map in the future (they're gonna say it's due to the backlash from LS only if this happens. Not that i will believe them,but it will be funny to tell DS players they caused it themselves by complaining that much about LS only).
    I think we can all agree that option 1 seems highly unlikely. That leaves 2 options, both in wich DS toons can be used. If i was a DS player i would take solice in knowing that somewhere in the future my DS will most likely be usable in TB. I see no harm in sharing that prediction to give DS minded players something to look forward to instead of just being bummed out about the current situation. Imo it's certainly better than fueling the whole LS bias discussion and just keep repeating how bad the game is and how DS players are always getting shafted. I wouldn't enjoy the game if that was the way i felt about it, heck, i would quit.
    Anyway, the only reason i responded was that i find it lame to ask someone to prove the unprovable. What makes it worse is that i'm guessing even you think that at some point DS will be included in TB. I don't know what your motives are, i can only guess that you've been burned by following wrong predictions made on the forum and want to protect other forum readers from making the same mistake. Or you just want to be angry and stay angry because ea/cg sucks for always favouring LS! i don't now.
  • Options

well, the way i see it there are 3 options. 1) TB will remain LS only. 2) There will be a DS TB map in the future. 3) There will be a mixed DS/LS map in the future (they're gonna say it's due to the backlash from LS only if this happens. Not that i will believe them,but it will be funny to tell DS players they caused it themselves by complaining that much about LS only).
    I think we can all agree that option 1 seems highly unlikely. That leaves 2 options, both in wich DS toons can be used. If i was a DS player i would take solice in knowing that somewhere in the future my DS will most likely be usable in TB. I see no harm in sharing that prediction to give DS minded players something to look forward to instead of just being bummed out about the current situation. Imo it's certainly better than fueling the whole LS bias discussion and just keep repeating how bad the game is and how DS players are always getting shafted. I wouldn't enjoy the game if that was the way i felt about it, heck, i would quit.
    Anyway, the only reason i responded was that i find it lame to ask someone to prove the unprovable. What makes it worse is that i'm guessing even you think that at some point DS will be included in TB. I don't know what your motives are, i can only guess that you've been burned by following wrong predictions made on the forum and want to protect other forum readers from making the same mistake. Or you just want to be angry and stay angry because ea/cg sucks for always favouring LS! i don't now.

I can appreciate your reasoning for 'sharing', but the general call from people to just ignore the situation is something that bugs me. If the devs want feedback, they can get the negative along with the positive. If people are dissuaded from airing their unhappiness with a particular direction, then the assumption would be that the direction is fine.
    I can play the game while feeling less than happy about some aspects of it.
    I 'asked' for proof because there is none. To shut down people's grievances with such statements is lame, imo. I can see that it's possible to include ds in the future, but going from what they've done in the past with raids and ships, I feel it's just as likely that they'll move on to something else instead.
    Your guess is off target. I'm not trying to protect others from whatever, I'm trying to protect people's ability to provide negative feedback, make reasonable complaints, and have fair discussion concerning aspects of the game, whether people have differing opinions or not.

They don't favour LS enough - Star Wars is about space wizards with laser swords, not rebels ;);)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    To clarify, i don't enjoy every aspect of the game, but if i felt like i was constandly getting shafted i would quit.
    I haven't really noticed people being shut down for not liking the fact that TB only requires LS toons only, as opposed to you trying to shut down people who try to say something positive about TB like TB most likely going to include DS in the future.
    Bringing up that TB will most likely include DS characters in the future is a valid argument in a fair discussion imo.
  • Options
    To clarify, i don't enjoy every aspect of the game, but if i felt like i was constandly getting shafted i would quit.
    I haven't really noticed people being shut down for not liking the fact that TB only requires LS toons only, as opposed to you trying to shut down people who try to say something positive about TB like TB most likely going to include DS in the future.
    Bringing up that TB will most likely include DS characters in the future is a valid argument in a fair discussion imo.

I've seen way too many posts along the lines of DS is in the future. Relax. Stop worrying. Stop whining. I'm not going to go looking for them now - especially out the way posts get moved around our deleted these days. Saying DS might be included in the future isn't saying something positive about TB as it currently is. That's just speculation.
    Speculation of the future has nothing to do with the pros and cons of the current state of things.
    Imo.
    ;)
  • Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Since developers took the time to explain their thinking on the 12h window, I would love to hear the justification for excluding DS completely.

+1

While I love your statement, I'm sure for us dark side players the developers reasoning would be lacking.
  • Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Devs never said specifically who could or could not be used.

They said that the terrain would actually matter instead of just being pretty scenery which would be a new facet of the game.

Many people guessed (myself included) that Snowtrooper and Veers would get some sort of bonus based on this reasoning that the terrain matters and that they were on Hoth.

I was dead wrong.

All the "leaks" seemed to point only to lightside toons.

Fortunately, I have Hoth Scout at 7* and will soon have Hoth Soldier at 6*.
    In general though, my lightside is very undergeared.

One of the things that WAS specifically said is that we wouldn't need to panic farm and gear toons for this TB and it seems for those with mostly DS developed toons, it seems that is untrue .

I have Phoenix at 7*, many Rebels at 7* and most of Rogue One (aside from Baze) 7* but almost none of them are past gear 8 which stinks pretty darn bad.

It's just not fun because I play the game against the meta most of the time and Rebels have largely been meta.

I don't hate LS, I just hate playing the same thing as everyone else. Now I feel like I am being punished for it.

Whining or not that's where I am.
  • Jinks
    50 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    4htums.png

It's just not fun because I play the game against the meta most of the time and Rebels have largely been meta.

I don't hate LS, I just hate playing the same thing as everyone else. Now I feel like I am being punished for it.

+1 Pecisely my situation. If everyone runs the Meta then an Arena shard is just a bunch of people with the same piles of crap and it no longer is a test of strategy. It's a measure of your mods. Which happens to be what most Arena shards look like. Again, I live with that, but up until now I didn't have any penalty in other aspects of the game for choosing to go against the grain. That is the major foul. The repeated LS boot licking sucks but at least I can choke them, shock them, annhilate them etc. to give myself some guilty pleasure at punishing the copycats. My personal choice on how to approach the Arena meta has now hurt my ability to assist my guild in the new game mode. Not cool.
  • Options
    That trailer pic tells it all.
    It should say ... 'collection of light side toons'.
  • Options
    Next tb should be invasion of the Jedi temple and you get all the points for using jka to kill younglings
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I would've preferred if they were going to do an LS focused TB if wouldn't be Hoth.

Pretty much the only on screen battle in history where the DS won, they could've waited and done Hoth second and made it DS focused.

What TB are we going to have in the future that is DS focused when the best option is already taken.

As mention above not sure why it isn't mixed (though I guess it could be and we just haven't seen the one or two parts of the TB that need them.

In my opinion, Hoth should've either been mixed - some LS battles that need HRS's and such, but also battles that need GV, DV, Snowtrooper, etc. or been strictly DS.

Maybe they can re-launch Hoth as a different version for DS - it is possible.

They obviously put a lot of time and effort into Hoth TB - so why not create LS and DS versions?
  • Options
    Pretty much the only on screen battle in history where the DS won, they could've waited and done Hoth second and made it DS focused.
    Guys, read the scenario prompt and the territory information--the Empire still wins on Hoth.

This Territory Battle represents the Rebel evacuation from Hoth. You "win" by escaping with your lives.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Jinks wrote: »
    4htums.png

+1 Pecisely my situation. If everyone runs the Meta then an Arena shard is just a bunch of people with the same piles of **** and it no longer is a test of strategy. It's a measure of your mods. Which happens to be what most Arena shards look like. Again, I live with that, but up until now I didn't have any penalty in other aspects of the game for choosing to go against the grain. That is the major foul. The repeated LS boot licking sucks but at least I can choke them, shock them, annhilate them etc. to give myself some guilty pleasure at punishing the copycats. My personal choice on how to approach the Arena meta has now hurt my ability to assist my guild in the new game mode. Not cool.

Same here