So what am I paying for again?

Prev1345678
Vavasour
102 posts Member
edited February 2016
Hey guys first time posting, and this is meant to be a legitimate question.

I spend a bunch on money on a game here and there when I find something I like. I have the expendable income, and it brings me joy in the way that some people like gambling, alcohol, etc. Usually, when I buy exclusive characters in games, they stay exclusive.

Am I right in understanding that the money I've spent to unlock Chromium Exclusive Chararters has been wasted in the sense that they will eventually be mass released and farmable?

If so, what are we (whales, I guess) actually paying for, early access? If so, I'm done spending money on (EDIT) Chromium Packs.
Post edited by Vavasour on

Replies

• Options
    Thanks in advance for any explanations, hopefully I have it wrong. Just the QGJ thing, people spent a lot of money to 7* him, and now he can be farmed by anyone. Doesn't seem fair to call something exclusive, and then after collecting tons of money, giving it to everyone.
  • Options
    Early access and convenience. And it's not unusual at all for games like this to have stuff pass down the food chain over time, in my experience.
  • Options
    Vavasour wrote: »
    Thanks in advance for any explanations, hopefully I have it wrong. Just the QGJ thing, people spent a lot of money to 7* him, and now he can be farmed by anyone. Doesn't seem fair to call something exclusive, and then after collecting tons of money, giving it to everyone.

I feel you, I am not done spending but I'll no longer spends much, going from whale to little fish
  • Options
    You answered it. Early access. We don't know that every single exclusive will become farmable or that they won't add some characters that will only be chromium forever though. As of now it is early access and whatever rewards you get because of that advantage.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options

+1. they did it once with QGJ. Now whales think twice before buying Chromiums. Very Bad Business decision to destroy the percieved value of your Premium product.
  • Options
    Early (sometimes very early) access, and also "farmable" doesn't mean easily. For F2P farming a cantina character like QGJ will take about 130 days to 7*.

The chromiums are for big spenders but they also want to reel in small to medium spenders (hello me) who are willing to make a smaller investment in games they enjoy. Releasing a chrome only character in say cantina gives a boost so small time spending as people want to energy refresh to speed up the acquisition process.
  • Options
    the thing is this: EA is trying to get as much money out of you as possible. EA will never "look after you" when it comes to drops. they want you to spend more money to get what you want.
  • Options
    Like I've said before, they need to find the balance in releasing exclusive toons to f2p. Too short and the whales stop spending, too long and f2p get left behind. QGJ being released, I'm all good with. Now touch my leia that I just got to 7* and that's another story!! j/k lol
  • Options

I can understand your frustration. At least you got him first! And out of all places, they put him in Cantina Shipments, which take forever to farm for F2Pers.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Forever? 30-60 days for a 7* QGJ is a short forever....
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Options
    They said it, mainly its for early access and faster advantage BUT bear in mind that this is also a VERY new game and its hrd to say what the chromium model will look like in the future.

Like you, i enjoy investing in the games i like. Star wars especially as im a huge fan. I do it to have what i want when i want but NEVER to gain advantage thus im never disappointed because i use/build the toons i enjoy using/building. They may be good like sid/lumi, they may be crud like ****/mace but they are the ones i enjoy reguardless.

My very best advice is decide early what your budget is for the game and what your play style is. Given my style, i NEVER pull chromium, i buy crystals etc to farm what i want. Again, i get my purchase and do as i please with it so no possibility for disappointment. Chromium is a gamble so spend wisely. If thats your thing, do it fir the fun NOT the toons because u may not get what u want and then set yourself up for disappointment.

Hope that helps pal
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. You want them to add more exclussive characters to the chromes, right? I am assuming that, by this time, everyone who is gonna spend tons of money on chromes has done so and they probably have all the characters with extra shards to spare. Then they added a single new character, Rex. To get that one new character, people are going to have to buy even more packs and mostly get shards of characters they already have.

Now, imagine if they had added 10 new characters while transitioning 10 existing characters out of the chromes and into other shipments. You will get far more of what you want and less of what you don't.

Yeah...I get it. It means what we are really buying is a few months of early access instead of exclussive characters. You want something few people have. But this way, you don't have to spend nearly as much money to get new stuff.

But I'm more interested in collecting than exclussive toons. I do not care who has them as long as I do. So maybe I'm just not like everyone else and don't get it.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just Be prepared that "exclusive" isnt quite that exclusive that u are expecting.

IMO they should have done different versions of characters to keep the percieved value of their Premium Content. Like QGJ - The Jedi (farmable) vs QGJ the Master (exclusive) for instance. Or a IG-88 in Gold (exclusive) vs. IG-88 black (farmable)...there Are hundred better ways to keep whales and F2P happy.
    Post edited by QGJM on
  • Options
    Whales are so silly. Your cash buys you advanced stuff that's it. We poor people can buy chromiums too so you don't get any exclusive rights to those characters. Most games I've played rotate the older content out for newer. Whales get the new stuff and to enjoy faster levels etc. You've gotten what you paid for already.

No offense to you OP but I'm confused why you guys think dropping money on games gives you some sort of privilege. Poor people like Jedi and yoda and stuff too. You get it months early, it allows you to be dominate all over the game and that still doesn't please you. In many ways the whale is just as bad as the f2p.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. What a nice forum, I thought for sure I was gonna get ripped to shreds.

Glad to see im not alone in my woes. Going forward, no more Chromium for me, I'll spend my shards on advancement, not "temporarily exclusive toons".
  • Options
    You don't want to spend for early access and a huge advantage? Fine with me. Grind with the rest of us.
  • Options
    QGJM wrote: »
    Just Be prepared that "exclusive" isnt Quite that exclusive that u Are expecting.

IMO they should have done different versions of characters to keep the percieved value of their Premium Content. Like QGJ - The Jedi (farmable) vs QGJ the Master (exclusive) for instance. Or a IG-88 in Gold (exclusive) vs. IG-88 black (farmable)...there Are hundred better ways to keep whales and F2P happy.

That is a great suggestion.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. What a nice forum, I thought for sure I was gonna get ripped to shreds.

Glad to see im not alone in my woes. Going forward, no more Chromium for me, I'll spend my shards on advancement, not "temporarily exclusive toons".

Good and wise decision and @Darth_Katsumoto if u Are F2P you should be happy to have whales who actually pay for your Game rather than insult them.
  • Options
    You don't want to spend for early access and a huge advantage? Fine with me. Grind with the rest of us.

The thing is, I'm grinding anyway because the game is so fun to play. I like paying for exclusive loot.
  • Darth_Katsumoto
    510 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    QGJM wrote: »

Good and wise decision and @Darth_Katsumoto if u Are F2P you should be happy to have whales who actually pay for your Game rather than insult them.

I insulted him? Impossible, I don't even know him. He is not the sole whale, so the only negative comment in my first sentence is not directed specifically at him. He asked and I tried to answer for him. I apologize if my post upset you or him . It was not the intent.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options

... I like paying for exclusive loot.

+1

• Azraelrulez
    1908 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

The thing is, I'm grinding anyway because the game is so fun to play. I like paying for exclusive loot.

The way this game works is, you get only limited advantage for limited spending. If you want to be top of it, you have to keep spending. The F2Ps will catch up otherwise. It's not like a PC game where you pay upfront, IAP games prosper on the bottom less pit design.

If the F2Ps don't have any chance of keeping up, who do you think will play the game? 10 whales against each other on every server? With the highest spender always at the top? You haven't actually given much thought to it. The Chromium only toons are game changers, not just another F2P toon with fancier clothes.
  • Options
    Whales are so silly. Your cash buys you advanced stuff that's it. We poor people can buy chromiums too so you don't get any exclusive rights to those characters. Most games I've played rotate the older content out for newer. Whales get the new stuff and to enjoy faster levels etc. You've gotten what you paid for already.

No offense to you OP but I'm confused why you guys think dropping money on games gives you some sort of privilege. Poor people like Jedi and yoda and stuff too. You get it months early, it allows you to be dominate all over the game and that still doesn't please you. In many ways the whale is just as bad as the f2p.

Any crowdfunding game fore example, lets big spenders get permanently exclusive content. I perhaps mistook this cash content under the same premise.
  • Options
    Also, not upset. Like you said, I don't know you. We have no gravitas with one another. It's all cool.
  • Options
    It's like a whole generation of adults never got taught to share with people.
  • Options
    Yeah man I'm not giving you the business here or anything. I should have worded my post better, but my answers were serious. It seems this forum (from what I can see) is bad about the whole whales vs f2p scene. I've never seen one of these where it's more about those two against each other than all players against the dev's lol.

• sid
    232 posts Member
    Options
    Whales are paying to play with these new characters first. Making a crude analogy, it's like buying cutting edge technology. such as a 4K TV. Eventually 4K technology needs to become even cheaper and trickle down to the masses, otherwise there won't be an ecosytem to sustain 4K content.

It looks like there are two whales on my server, a level 70 and 69. Everyone else is pretty much low 60s. Looks to be a good amount of people buying character bundles and crystals, too. If non-whales don't get tossed a former premium character or two once in a while, then they're going to lose interest in playing and abandon the game. Being on top of the leaderboard probably isn't too exciting, if there are only 25 people actively playing.

Sure the value depreciates, but so do many expensive things.
  • Options
    I think it's healthy that all characters eventually enter the general population if they want to keep the F2P model viable. For absolute exclusives they could follow the MOBA model and sell cosmetic items you can't farm or acquire any other way. Alternate costumes, account portraits, extra attack animations etc.

For example Jedi Padawan Asajj and Ahsoka, Spidertank Maul, Saber Rey, special portraits for arena, alternate attack or idle animations.

• Options
    medetec wrote: »
    I think it's healthy that all characters eventually enter the general population if they want to keep the F2P model viable. For absolute exclusives they could follow the MOBA model and sell cosmetic items you can't farm or acquire any other way. Alternate costumes, account portraits, extra attack animations etc.

For example Jedi Padawan Asajj and Ahsoka, Spidertank Maul, Saber Rey, special portraits for arena, alternate attack or idle animations.

Sounds good. I would never pay for anything like that myself but then I don't buy Chromiums too. I'm new to such IAP games but I remember BF3 had such items, custom camouflage guns and such. And from the forum, seems like many games have such schemes.

Yeah, I can see some people willing to buy visually distinctive toons.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    I dont think ist is very healthy for the Game if u Show whales it is not worth spending Money on Premium Content...