So what am I paying for again?

Replies

• Options
    There are 5k blue whales and 2k orcas and 1k manatees and 0.5k dolphins and then there's salmons at 0.2k and tuna at 0.1k and then octopus for $50 and krill for <$20.

The Chrome cards save a month and are used to speed up the game initially and be #1 in that server until hit cap. That's thebuse if Chromium. It's not the gring of QGJ cantina F2P vs "a whale w/ instant QGJ 7*.

For anyine BUT a blue what, a non farmable char may end up at 4* or 5* or sometimes 6* at 1k. What good is that char when the enemy Will Have a dull 7* team in a month?

The Chrome is to take a kead early on and never let it go. Until cap hits everything is a race, and a 1 mile advantage is huge. But essentially unless you are a blue whale tou want to be able to reach 7* for every chrome char that disn't fet to 7*.

It may take more than 3 mo to 7* a QGJ for a FTP player. If no Chrome is every slow farmable (think two nodes or Cantina Shipments, two slow modes) then you better spend 2k to 4k or nothing.

Summary: unless 2k to 4k into Chromium it may be best for anyone else to be able to slow farm ronreach 7*, and also Chromium is an instand headstart to dominate Arena esrly on for about 2 monif you just started.
  • Options
    QGJM wrote: »
    I don't quit, I just don't buy premium content anymore. So they turned me from whale to light spender. From cash cow to nearly F2P. And I am not alone. That should actually worry you.

Simulateously, they make it much easier for the majority of people to get up to speed with "whales" via regular farming - and, in turn, this incentivizes some people to do some "light spending", aka buying subscription plans etc. for energy refreshes. In case there would be no chance for the majority to compete with "whales", there would be no incentive to invest a penny, but at this point in time, everyone can compete (it just takes time and some crystals to farm for characters, but it is possible). Hence, what you pay for is "early advantage", and you rightfully get this early advantage.
    114 posts Member
    Options
    I'm f2p but fighting the urge to spend, the only thing stopping me is the random shards and characters I could end up with, if I could buy the shards/characters I want I don't think I could resist anymore :smiley:

Great Game loving it.
  • fasterthanyous
    246 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They certainly need to keep the whales and the f2p mixed in the servers.
    The class system is the motivation to spend more.

Can you imagine if the f2p competed against the f2p and p2w competed against the p2w?
    After 2 months, they shuffled the servers to align people with the amount of money spent?
    That would be terrible for business.

The people who pay must be allowed to dominate the people who don't.
    Its the natural order.
    The desire to be better than others and win is the motivation to spend more.

Let them eat cake!

Character Name: Nofaultius
  • Options
    Welcome to the Disney/Lucas machine! Lmfao FREE THE MOUSE!

P.S
    JOIN MOUSE LIBERATION FRONT you miggt learn some thing
  • Ivan_Drago
    639 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The people who pay must be allowed to dominate the people who don't.
    Its the natural order.

They are allowed to dominate, but it is not for granted. Without skill (at least decent) and strategy, simply paying will not help you all that much. Those who pay and are at the same time incredibly good in terms of strategy, are nearly unbeatable. Those who pay but are not very good players, are competitive but not more than this. It's fine.

Actually, in many cases p2p pay for the priviledge of being able to compete with f2p (i.e., in cases where the player in not at all good in terms of skills and strategy, but can afford premium characters and fast levelling to make up for it). This is also fine
  • Options
    First of all, QGJ is an exception. All speed leader at 82.
    Second, the name of the game is: how much of real money will you spend to gain "$100 real money worth of play money" every month.
    You spend more, you shouldn't have had. Maybe you should have F2P for 4 years getting first place every day and save up for Chromiums.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    medetec wrote: »
    I think it's healthy that all characters eventually enter the general population if they want to keep the F2P model viable. For absolute exclusives they could follow the MOBA model and sell cosmetic items you can't farm or acquire any other way. Alternate costumes, account portraits, extra attack animations etc.

For example Jedi Padawan Asajj and Ahsoka, Spidertank Maul, Saber Rey, special portraits for arena, alternate attack or idle animations.

That's how every game I've ever played does it. There are two basic models. Most freemium games that offer items or content that give a competitive advantage are rotated to being available to the f2p crowd after a certain period of time (typically once sales drop due to everyone who was going to buy it having done so). The ones that do not sell items that provide competitive advantages offer exclusive content/items of a cosmetic or vanity variety only. The industry has repeatedly shown that people will shell out incredible amounts of money just to show off a status symbol.

The current model of this game occurs for two reasons:

1) It keeps f2p playing, knowing at some point they'll be able to access to cool toons with powerful abilities. With no plankton to feed on the whales move on. The Devs recognize the f2p population is as important as the dolphins and whales to the overall health of this game.
    2) It allows them to rotate new content in that requires whales to continue throwing bags of money at the game.

I can't help but lol at these people who feel personally insulted or as if they were lied to by EA/CG. At no point was anyone promised these toons would remain chromium only. The TOS allows them to change whatever/whenever. The part that makes me lol the most though, is the level of naïveté combined with hysterical indignation.

As you have said, you have played lots of games. Most of these people who spend most, have not had experience with such games. I predict
    Most of people who ever paid for any of such game remain mostly unsatisfied: think of it, get some offline version and exploit, click click click, you're maxed. next
  • Options
    Chromium packs are not P2W only. You buy them with crystals which you can earn in game. It's just the drop rate is so low, you usually need to buy crystals to star up a Chromium exclusive toon. While I can't see why anyone would do it, it was possible, before the update, to star up QGJ without spending a dime. They have simply made them more available by putting them in Cantina shipments, which is no different than adding a Hard Node or Cantina node to farm shards, like for Barriss and Dooku, in the last update.

I get it, you got your shiny that no one else had, and you want to keep it rare, in game. But, every game needs to eventually release all content to everyone if they want to maintain a full playerbase. Otherwise, the F2P's and partial spenders get bored and quit. Without others to beat up on, the whales eventually stop spending, and the game folds. Circle of life, my friend.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ivan_Drago wrote: »
    I don't quit, I just don't buy premium content anymore. So they turned me from whale to light spender. From cash cow to nearly F2P. And I am not alone. That should actually worry you.

Simulateously, they make it much easier for the majority of people to get up to speed with "whales" via regular farming - and, in turn, this incentivizes some people to do some "light spending", aka buying subscription plans etc. for energy refreshes. In case there would be no chance for the majority to compete with "whales", there would be no incentive to invest a penny, but at this point in time, everyone can compete (it just takes time and some crystals to farm for characters, but it is possible). Hence, what you pay for is "early advantage", and you rightfully get this early advantage.

I don't care about early advantage and won't spend money for that.

Let me summarize my statements into 2 points:

Is it worth to spend a lot of money for something exclusive? - YES.

Is it worth to spend a lot of money for something temporarily exclusive? - NO.
    Post edited by QGJM on
  • Ivan_Drago
    639 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't care about early advantage and won't spend money for that.

Let me summarize my statements into 2 points:

Is it worth to spend a lot of money for something exclusive? - YES.

Is it worth to spend a lot of money for something temporarily exclusive? - NO.

So, what you say is that you want to pay only for definitive and permanent advantage. I.e., you are ready to pay for "guaranteed wins", but not ready to pay, if payment do not guarantee wins. If so, perhaps the design of this game does not satisfy your criteria. Currently, only Leia and Obi Wan provide definitive advantage, but even those do not guarantee anything as there are possibilities to build very strong arena teams without Leia

P.S. Still it should not discourage your spending: if you play well, of course having Leia and Obi Wan at maximum stars will make it much easier for you to win
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, not really.

I wanted Lando so I payed a lot to get him. But I never use him in arena. Would I be upset if he would be free tomorrow? Absolutely. He is worth thousands.

I have Leia at 7* but don't use her either. GS is much better in arena.

I love Ben and use him sometimes in the right team.

But the main goal was to get those char. They are super but if it gets down to arena I choose the best combo not the most exclusive ones.

So maybe I have a kind of advantage but that's not the reason I spend that much money. Also there is not really a need for that since F2P teams are completely competitive in arena. They fight me and I fight them daily. And both win.

So there is no definitive and permanent advantage. AT ALL.

And spending a lot money on something temporarily "exclusive" is something I just won't do again...
  • Options

And spending a lot money on something temporarily "exclusive" is something I just won't do again...

I think the real thing is nobody cares what you will or won't do.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options

I totally disagree. Usually companys care about their paying customers. Since u are not the company i dont care about your statement
  • Options

I totally disagree. Usually companys care about their paying customers. Since u are not the company i dont care about your statement

This company does not care, that is just a sad fact.
  • Options
    Qgjm, what you say sounds like a very elitist approach. It's quite arrogant - I.e. Showing off with exclusive characters and considering restricted access as a point of value. In general, it's not the best thing to strive to demonstrate your advantage over others. It's like with money: great if you have a lot, but it's better not to show off with it
  • Options
    Well, perhaps we can agree that EA has probably done market studies and is doing what will make money. Seems pretty easy to believe.

This is how they do things. I played their UFC game. The best description is a fish (or whale lol) with a serrated blade ripping them open. The amount of F's EA doesn't give about any of these complaints is astronomical. They put out good games that hook you. They know they have good games and can expect a certain revenue. That's it lol. They don't care about the rest. Now some dev's care of course and they do try. Jesse and them try to communicate at least. This has been my experience. Business as usual and bidness is a'boomin cousin

Exactly, EA makes some great quality games. It's just a money grubbing company that's destroying the video game world in a way.
  • VaderJK12
    192 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Only 1 character came to us FTP players from the Chromium packs and its not like it was Old Ben or Leia. Plus you just got Rex and will also have a Shard Shop character coming.

The whales pay to play to get early access to characters, bottom line. I still find it crazy people spend hundreds, if not thousands, on a mobile game that gives no benefits to all the money that they dump into it...besides a few exclusive characters to use in the game.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Qgjm, what you say sounds like a very elitist approach. It's quite arrogant - I.e. Showing off with exclusive characters and considering restricted access as a point of value. In general, it's not the best thing to strive to demonstrate your advantage over others. It's like with money: great if you have a lot, but it's better not to show off with it

Get over it. I buy stuff that i like for fun. Even if its expensive. If i d care about status objects than i would buy a rolex or an Omega. But i like Starwars and this Game. So what? I am not arrogant at all.

And i dont care what u think of me at all.

• Options
    you are forgetting something you thing P2W players are the ones that supports the game but thats not true , games need f2p players and a loot of them, not all the people want to invest money on an andoid game , but the variety of players and the huge populations is what makes the game competitive, F2P players will stop playing if there isnt a chance to actually beat a P2W player, the only diference is that in onrder to be a competitive F2P player u will need to plan a good strategy , plan your resources very well and other stuff that a P2W players does not care at all, i have seen a lot of amazing games that have fallen because the lack of popularity, belive me when i tell you that you need to keep the F2P players interested in the game, yoou dont want a game that becoume pay to play , because it will be empy and non competitive.
    i know my english sucks.. :)
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Get over it. I buy stuff that i like for fun. Even if its expensive. If i d care about status objects than i would buy a rolex or an Omega. But i like Starwars and this Game. So what? I am not arrogant at all.

And i dont care what u think of me at all.

So the toons are less fun because they are or may become available to the general player base? You don't care about status objects but need them to remain a status object in order to continue buying?
    there is no definitive and permanent advantage. AT ALL.

So you don't care about status objects and, in your very wrong opinion, they don't offer competitive advantages. Why do you buy them? For the fun? Please see above.

Also, please name another toons that is capable of doing what Old Ben does. Please tell Team Instinct that Kit Fisto does not provide a definitive advantage in the Yoda challenge.
  • Mezmo
    117 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The part that makes me lol the most though, is the level of naïveté combined with hysterical indignation.

This. This entire topic of "conversation" will never need nor deserve any other response.

Yet in an effort to be vaguely more solicitous, this is how these games work. Always have, and as long as the business model remains viable, always will.

Maybe think of this as a FAQ about freemium games. First, a couple fundamental features.

(1) You have no legal or other interest in anything. No matter what, if anything, you paid. None.

(2) The developers (and/or the licencor, here Disney) can change anything they want, at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. Again, any property, expectation or other rights you think you may be entitled to: Do Not Exist. (Disney, FYI, is fairly hands on with game developers, so don't waste your energy on "if they only knew" fantasies. They know.)

(3) All that you are paying for is an entertainment experience. You are free to pay anything you want for this experience, including nothing at all.

(4) The entire engine driving such a restricted-resource model is the unholy mixture of frustration and entitlement. Folks become frustrated by arbitrary limitations, feel entitled to more, and spend money to get it faster. Everything about the game is designed to fuel this engine. Everything.

(5) Math is math. Probabilities do no lie, or conspire, or play favorites. Drop rates didn't change just because you had a "bad" day. Or week. "They" aren't out to get you.

If anyone doesn't know these things, playing this or similar games can be hazardous to your health and financial well being.

A couple more to round out the FAQ.

- Hasn't there been reams of commentary arguing that "freemium" games are nothing but a scourge on the market designed to prey upon the uninformed? Yes.

- Isn't the entire point of marrying a fremium model with a popular franchise to exploit as many uninformed new folks, who are unfamiliar with this model, as possible? Yes.

- Are there very sophisticated psychological models at work beneath the hood in order to get me to spend more? Yes.

- If aware of these facts, and resigned to spend no more than each individual feels appropriate for the entertainment experience being offered, can't these games still be a lot of fun? Yes.

- Is it in the best interests of a developer to do what they can to keep customers happy? Yes.

- Will this desire to keep customers happy ever change the fundamental outlines of the business model? No.

- Are these developers more solicitous, responsive, engaged and forthcoming than developers of similar games? And is that a good thing? Yes and yes. Very. But the above limits still apply.

Just some points to remember. If you can make peace with these facts, you can hopefully enjoy this "entertainment experience" for whatever it's worth: you and only you get to decide what that is -- but you have to own that decision, whatever it is. If you can't make peace with these facts, you will find nothing but frustration. But the facts aint gonna change either way.

As always, just my two cents.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mezmo wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    The part that makes me lol the most though, is the level of naïveté combined with hysterical indignation.

This. This entire topic of "conversation" will never need nor deserve any other response.

Yet in an effort to be vaguely more solicitous, this is how these games work. Always have, and as long as the business model remains viable, always will.

Maybe think of this as a FAQ about freemium games. First, a couple fundamental features.

(1) You have no legal or other interest in anything. No matter what, if anything, you paid. None.

(2) The developers (and/or the licencor, here Disney) can change anything they want, at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. Again, any property, expectation or other rights you think you may be entitled to: Do Not Exist. (Disney, FYI, is fairly hands on with game developers, so don't waste your energy on "if they only knew" fantasies. They know.)

(3) All that you are paying for is an entertainment experience. You are free to pay anything you want for this experience, including nothing at all.

(4) The entire engine driving such a restricted-resource model is the unholy mixture of frustration and entitlement. Folks become frustrated by arbitrary limitations, feel entitled to more, and spend money to get it faster. Everything about the game is designed to fuel this engine. Everything.

(5) Math is math. Probabilities do no lie, or conspire, or play favorites. Drop rates didn't change just because you had a "bad" day. Or week. "They" aren't out to get you.

If anyone doesn't know these things, playing this or similar games can be hazardous to your health and financial well being.

- Hasn't there been reams of commentary arguing that "freemium" games are nothing but a scourge on the market designed to prey upon the uninformed? Yes.

- Isn't the entire point of marrying a fremium model with a popular franchise to exploit as many uninformed new folks, who are unfamiliar with this model, as possible? Yes.

- Are there very sophisticated psychological models at work beneath the hood in order to get me to spend more? Yes.

- If aware of these facts, and resigned to spend no more than each individual feels appropriate for the entertainment experience being offered, can't these games still be a lot of fun? Yes.

- Is it in the best interests of a developer to do what they can to keep customers happy? Yes.

- Will this desire to keep customers happy ever change the fundamental outlines of the business model? No.

- Are these developers more solicitous, responsive, engaged and forthcoming than developers of similar games? And is that a good thing? Yes and yes. Very. But the above limits still apply.

Just some points to remember. If you can make peace with these facts, you can hopefully enjoy this "entertainment experience" for whatever it's worth: you and only you get to decide what that is -- but you have to own that decision, whatever it is. If you can't make peace with these facts, you will find nothing but frustration. But the facts aint gonna change either way.

Well said.
    Post edited by Telaan on
  • Options
    Mezmo wrote: »

+1000000000000000

My name is Darth Katsumoto...and I endorse this message. This guy sees the bigger picture.
  • Options
    Vavasour wrote: »
    If so, what are we (whales, I guess) actually paying for, early access?
    Yes.
    I dont think ist is very healthy for the Game if u Show whales it is not worth spending Money on Premium Content...
    If you can call getting Old Ben, Aayla, Leia, etc potentially a year before everyone else (3 months so far and i doubt they will suddenly make them all F2P anytime soon) "not worth it", then yeah, better not spend.
    It's as worth it as spending money on refreshes. Those are nothing but a time save, yet I don't see anyone complaining they are worthless.
    Most of the stuff you pay for in a freemium game is a time save. Skipping cooldowns, getting resources faster, farming a character faster, etc. Everything in F2P games is about time. This is a non-issue
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    @Yarzahn
    Read the OP First then post your reply. Thanx
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    @Yarzahn
    Read the OP First then post your reply. Thanx

Why do you assume everyone that disagrees with your point of view has poor reading comprehension?
  • Options
    Suddenly very quiet, was enjoying this thread - LOL. He he he, that's right, feel your anger! Turn to the dark side............. and we will destroy them all!!
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    Speak a lot does right it make not...

• Options
    F2p players better get it straight: this game does not cater to them. And why should it? What do you do for the game except enjoy it. Whales FUND it! In a game where we compete against each other, sorry f2p players, you are the weakest link. Goodbye!