The state of the galaxy: a player’s perspective

Prev13
Globuhl
751 posts Member
edited October 2017
Just wanted to highlight one of McMole2’s latest video about the current state of the game. Hopefully CG will notice as it really captures the current mood aroubd the game. Very informative and well put out. Good job McMole2.

The different issues he addresses:
Zeta & gear crunch
Time commitment
The Communication around the game

https://youtu.be/OM71tUu-p8g

Replies

• Options
    CG needs to Rework Grevious .... and then the state of the galaxy can follow ;P
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    moved to better sub forum for better dev visibility.
  • Options
    The big things that I could say, others already said.

SoccorboyAP-

||||RAIDS||||
    - Auto register all guild members when raids are launched
    - Recalculate drop rates, Heroic HAAT should drop more gear boxes (3 at low rank, 5 at high rank) even at a lower rank

||||USER INTERFACE||||
    - Mod Manager/Mod Sets/Mod Costs
    - Balance energy generation/usage/refresh cost (stop making Cantina energy a gate)
    - Fix Buff/Debuff markers
    - Show Turn Meter on upper right hand corner enemy display (along with protection/health)
    - Show #'s on enemy prot/health/tm... a bar isn't sufficient to determine combat details
    - PLEASE shuffle the gear each month in the daily challenges... we have THOUSANDS of pieces of useless gear because it's underutilised.... but we keep getting more daily from challenges.

||||CHARACTERS||||
    - No New Characters... take a hiatus (6 months minimum.... after TLJ), we are tired of chase grinding
    - Don't add more gear levels, change the structure of how all gear is used
    - Stop adding more levels to grind out 5 tiers of mods to create one high level gear piece, make a gear piece
    associated only to its own level.
    - No more OP characters... Thrawn, Palpatine, R2, CLS have all thrown a major rift in the game and drastically shift the balance of power in the game. Also, making these short notice events leaves many people waiting until the next legendary event leaving those players WAY behind the power curve.. CLS is needed for TB but those who missed him are now far less useful in TB.
    - Record player combat actions from Arena top matches and use that player generated data to make a smarter AI. The AI for AUTO is very dumb.... both in characters and ships.

||||GUILD||||
    - Give guild leaders/officers more tools to manage/track their guilds
    - Guild vault, allow guilds to help their members more than just one gear request every 24hrs. Also allow more than just gear to be exchanged; mods, gear, money, shards, store currencies, ability mats, etc

||||GALACTIC WAR|||||
    - Adjust the power levels per node, when a player who has NO G12 characters has a node 12 with all G12 characters (plus Zeta's)... this makes GW for the regular player, impossible. Or we are using (taking a lot of time) to run 3, 4, 5 G11/G10 teams to beat Node 12.

Along with The Zebestain-

1. Yes, there's too many Zeta abilities upgrades for not enough Zeta materials available.

2. The gear pieces there are currently used in the game are unbalanced. Too many of one kind, not enough of the other one. Also, there are many holding stages for leveling a character's gear up (too many salvage pieces from level 9 to 10, many more from 10 to 11 and so on) and with each new gear tier, this is going to be increasingly harder. So why not ease the previous gear crunch after the launch of a new gear tier?

3. The Raid rewards are unbalanced. Let's say that 21 people solo the Rancor, they will all have the same amount of damage inflicted (or pretty close) and then two of them get very different rewards because by randomness one is ranked at 1 and the other at 21. Why don't give rewards based on the damage done?

4. The rewards given for a prize box are mostly undesired for many people. And I'm not talking about the possible ones, it's about the one you actually get when you open the box. There should be a smarter prize system where it identifies a disered gear piece based on your favourite list (or something like that)

5. Many people have different commitments and can't login every other hour. But the game has too many cooldowns in various areas or some features need at lot of time to complete (hello territory battle) and this is becoming less player friendly. The Flash Events weren't player friendly either, exactly because if you wanted to do it every time it came around, you'd need to login every now and then.

6. About mods: moving them around should be easier and there should be a separate energy for them, because players who just are relatively new to the game have this huge dilemma "Do I spend Cantina Energy to farm all the characters I need in the the many different areas of the game or do I farm mods to improve this or that character?"

7. The game updates kinda weird as of now. For example, in one forum post, it was hinted that Thrawn would come back along with a Phoenix improvement, but in October's monthly schedule post, there was no mention about this event and then, out of nowhere, Thrawn event was announced return.

8. Recently, there are too many legendary events. Aren't these supposed to be a rare occasion?

9. Character cadence is really lackluster as of now.

10. Some commented that all solutions that were said on this video don't give money to the developers directly, but I disagree. Because this is kinda scaring people away. I started playing the game with about 5 other friends. Now, we are 2. And those who left, said basically that they weren't happy with the game anymore
  • Rogee
    178 posts Member
    Options
    MOD sets won't happen. Everyone just needs farm more mods. MOD sets would be similar to moving character shards between characters...

It would be like being able to move gear between characters, basically everyone would only need one set of gear or MOD Set to just move between whichever 5 characters they are using for a raid, arena, TB, or challenge etc.

Keep farming until every character has their own MOD set. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Very nice video.
    Rogee wrote: »
    MOD sets won't happen. Everyone just needs farm more mods. MOD sets would be similar to moving character shards between characters...

It would be like being able to move gear between characters, basically everyone would only need one set of gear or MOD Set to just move between whichever 5 characters they are using for a raid, arena, TB, or challenge etc.

It wouldn't be like moving gear. Gear is permanent. Mods can be moved. It's just a giant time draining pain in the kitten to move mods around. Saving sets that can be removed with a click, and moved to another toon would be a nice time saver. Any reason why you like arbitrarily forcing people to waste time?
  • Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Very nice video.
    Rogee wrote: »

It wouldn't be like moving gear. Gear is permanent. Mods can be moved. It's just a giant time draining pain in the kitten to move mods around. Saving sets that can be removed with a click, and moved to another toon would be a nice time saver. Any reason why you like arbitrarily forcing people to waste time?

Don't forget wasting credits as well, since it costs credits to move each mod. Be nice if there was a bit of an easier time earning credits, instead of relying on a possible credit heist every other week, that may or may not pay anything good.
  • Options
    I kinda agree with many suggestions in that vid.
  • Options
    Ditto. He explained a great way to solve many of the issues without sacrificing profits.
    Kes Damer0n#9450 - Officer of the Republic Jedha - Join Us Here
  • Options
    Some alternatives/different ideas.

Challenges: Change this to the more away team style of SW:tor, Where you can assign characters to it and they collect gear/credits/mats/etc over time. Though this is a much bigger change than mcmole's suggestion, it would allow people to inattentively direct grind.

Mods: instead of dropping useless mods that we then need to sell, have a setting that would allow a minimum accepted mod, ex. 5pip purple, if that doestn't come up in the rng reward just give extra credits/cantina credits/mats.

Zetas: I actually don't mind the zeta crunch, I think these "Ultimate Abilities" should be few and far between. I would like to see more purple drops though, as I am running out of these all the time trying to power up for TB.

Gear: As McMole said, there is no point to having thousands of one piece of purple gear and next to none of another. I suggest a way to sell/trade gear in for desired gear. Maybe, a gear store similar to the shard shop, where you can sell gear for credits for the store.

Stores: Speaking of stores, is there really a need for nine stores? How bout one store for each thing, Gear Store, Character Shard Store, Ship Shard Store, Mod Store, Mat Store?(Do we really need a training droid store?)

Organization: This is huge, TB was released to be an inclusive guild participation event that required a lot of guild coordination and communication. Absolutely no tools were given to this end. In game chat is garbage, character roster information non-existant, etc. CG is relying on the good people at swgoh.gg to hack their game to give anyone any information at all instead of providing it to the community in an accessible manner. I wrote scripts to help with platoon assignments, let alone the 20 minutes of data entry to type the 270 characters for each day, so my guild doesn't waste characters on platoons that won't get filled because they require 7* lobots and Paywoks. Now they are talking about guild v guild and DS TB when we don't have good tools to accomplish the original release. I like TB, I like that it could make guilds coordinate better. But, please make it a bit easier for the open source community to organize around the game. Even a paid "guild account" to give access to an api, would be acceptable so I can pull platoons down instead of typing them out, or write image recognition software to parse 18 screenshots...

Pricing: As someone who has spent some money on the game, your pricing is ridiculous. I have spent far more money on Mechwarrior online, because their pricing models are sane. I do not mind spending money on a game to support developers. But, I really don't want to support games that obviously phish for people to spend money ignorantly. MWO and LoL have superior business models and neither use gachapon style reward systems, neither have any RNG for that matter.

I do realize that some of my ideas are not easy changes, from a coding perspective, but I love Star Wars and I love the idea of this game. I want you to make it better. Let players invest their "grind" into assured rewards and not E. Skinner style suspicions off of rng. I know it takes effort to make a good game, but I hope you put forth that effort. Listen to some game designers when they talk about input/output randomness, what grinding is good for, information horizons, gachapon reward structures. My two biggest issues with the game are the randomized rewards(gachapon) and lack of organizational tools. I do hope you listen to your player base on this.

Thanks,
    Damanar
  • Options
    Some alternatives/different ideas.

Challenges: Change this to the more away team style of SW:tor, Where you can assign characters to it and they collect gear/credits/mats/etc over time. Though this is a much bigger change than mcmole's suggestion, it would allow people to inattentively direct grind.

Mods: instead of dropping useless mods that we then need to sell, have a setting that would allow a minimum accepted mod, ex. 5pip purple, if that doestn't come up in the rng reward just give extra credits/cantina credits/mats.

Zetas: I actually don't mind the zeta crunch, I think these "Ultimate Abilities" should be few and far between. I would like to see more purple drops though, as I am running out of these all the time trying to power up for TB.

Gear: As McMole said, there is no point to having thousands of one piece of purple gear and next to none of another. I suggest a way to sell/trade gear in for desired gear. Maybe, a gear store similar to the shard shop, where you can sell gear for credits for the store.

Stores: Speaking of stores, is there really a need for nine stores? How bout one store for each thing, Gear Store, Character Shard Store, Ship Shard Store, Mod Store, Mat Store?(Do we really need a training droid store?)

Organization: This is huge, TB was released to be an inclusive guild participation event that required a lot of guild coordination and communication. Absolutely no tools were given to this end. In game chat is garbage, character roster information non-existant, etc. CG is relying on the good people at swgoh.gg to hack their game to give anyone any information at all instead of providing it to the community in an accessible manner. I wrote scripts to help with platoon assignments, let alone the 20 minutes of data entry to type the 270 characters for each day, so my guild doesn't waste characters on platoons that won't get filled because they require 7* lobots and Paywoks. Now they are talking about guild v guild and DS TB when we don't have good tools to accomplish the original release. I like TB, I like that it could make guilds coordinate better. But, please make it a bit easier for the open source community to organize around the game. Even a paid "guild account" to give access to an api, would be acceptable so I can pull platoons down instead of typing them out, or write image recognition software to parse 18 screenshots...

Pricing: As someone who has spent some money on the game, your pricing is ridiculous. I have spent far more money on Mechwarrior online, because their pricing models are sane. I do not mind spending money on a game to support developers. But, I really don't want to support games that obviously phish for people to spend money ignorantly. MWO and LoL have superior business models and neither use gachapon style reward systems, neither have any RNG for that matter.

I do realize that some of my ideas are not easy changes, from a coding perspective, but I love Star Wars and I love the idea of this game. I want you to make it better. Let players invest their "grind" into assured rewards and not E. Skinner style suspicions off of rng. I know it takes effort to make a good game, but I hope you put forth that effort. Listen to some game designers when they talk about input/output randomness, what grinding is good for, information horizons, gachapon reward structures. My two biggest issues with the game are the randomized rewards(gachapon) and lack of organizational tools. I do hope you listen to your player base on this.

Helpful links:
    input/output randomness
    gachapon

Thanks,
    Damanar
  • Options
    Pretty sure I posted this video in the main section and now I am being redirected to this section (which I never knew existed). I hope people come here an blow it because McMole2 made some very good point and offered good answers.
  • Options
    Combining all of the feedback that's been given over the past year or so, into 17 minutes. Not bad.
  • Options
    The video is very negative, and I don't think that accurately reflects the overall mood of the community. This is still a great game that we all love to play. I wish McMole2 would have added more positivity about that to the state of swgoh.

That said, everything he mentions in the video is valid. This game takes a massive amount of time every day, and we love the game, so we keep putting in that time, but it IS burning people out. The zeta/gear issue is something we all feel daily, and yeah, a bit of warning so we can prepare for events would be nice, but I do understand wanting to make it so people can't prepare - it rewards those who pay, and rightfully so. My only issue is it also rewards those who "get lucky" and happen to have the right toons, and feeling "unlucky" enough to miss out on a big event sucks.
  • Options
    Sheytan wrote: »
    The video is very negative, and I don't think that accurately reflects the overall mood of the community. This is still a great game that we all love to play. I wish McMole2 would have added more positivity about that to the state of swgoh.

That said, everything he mentions in the video is valid. This game takes a massive amount of time every day, and we love the game, so we keep putting in that time, but it IS burning people out. The zeta/gear issue is something we all feel daily, and yeah, a bit of warning so we can prepare for events would be nice, but I do understand wanting to make it so people can't prepare - it rewards those who pay, and rightfully so. My only issue is it also rewards those who "get lucky" and happen to have the right toons, and feeling "unlucky" enough to miss out on a big event sucks.

I think it reflects the mood of the community pretty well. Mass burnouts are a tangible expression of that mood.
  • Options
    This video is very accurate of how many of my guild members feel. It is hard to get them excited to do anything any more. Hopefully this video is seen by the RIGHT people. Since it has already been seen by the WRONG ones.
  • Options

Not sure what communities you are in, but just about every message board that is not this one feels exactly the same way.... frustrated, angry, and burnt out. The overall sentiment for those that have played for an extended period is that it is no longer fun for them, to much content that you have to buy and not enough new engagements.
  • Options

Not sure what communities you are in, but just about every message board that is not this one feels exactly the same way.... frustrated, angry, and burnt out. The overall sentiment for those that have played for an extended period is that it is no longer fun for them, to much content that you have to buy and not enough new engagements.

+1

RWTD_Burn - Bears with Sabers
    https://swgoh.gg/u/rwtdBurn/
  • Options
    RWTD_Burn wrote: »

+1

+10
  • killerbs007
    328 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Sheytan I'm really disagree with you. i lost maybe 5 people in my guild because it's too much for them, thanks to the TB.

McMole2 make a very great video, this was very well said. This is just some suggestions, I do not understand that we no longer accept criticism. Without this we no longer advance in life. A constructive critic is what all Devs dreams, but that EA refuses.

Andrew Wilson said. "And my objective number one was to really re-instill a player-first mentality; a player-first culture inside the organization."

i really see that....

Wilson said EA can become a more "player-first" company in a number of ways, one of which is showing games earlier...

Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
    Join The Republic, and find a amazing guild and community https://discord.gg/neFzuVB
  • MasterOneHit
    170 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fantastic video Mcmole2. You are 100% spot on in everything you said. You were definitely wronged! Maybe someday people will actually listen to customer feedback and make a change to better the game.
  • Options
    Great vid. I truely hope someone listens and implements some changes.
  • Options
    2 words
    Power creep.
  • Orfy
    34 posts Member
    Options
    Nailed all the rough points we all feel
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm an absolute n00b. How do I post just an image in a reply?
  • Options
    gufu21 wrote: »
    I'm an absolute n00b. How do I post just an image in a reply?

upload the img to imgur.com, copy and post the bbcode for the image
  • Options
    [ i mg ] link [/i mg ]
  • Options
    [ i mg ] link [/i mg ]

Lol. That's not how you do it. ;)
  • Options
    snowhut wrote: »
    [ i mg ] link [/i mg ]

Without the spaces
  • Options
    snowhut wrote: »
    [ i mg ] link [/i mg ]

Without the spaces

I know. When I first read the comment, I thought it was Gufu trying to post his image.