Here's a tip: Focus on GW, NOT arena

2Next

Replies

• Options
    with GW back to back teams 10 levels up ends my day. But outside of that GW is very manageable.

I think your advice might be better changed to if you aren't finishing top 100 in arena and aren't finishing Galaxy wars focus on getting what you need to finish Galaxy wars because you are too far behind to catch up in arena without gemming.
  • Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    I agree. Both would be optimal. But your server is still young. In a mature sever, your squad is not viable for top 20 with the current meta....not enough dps. So enjoy your ranking while it lasts. But that is a great GW team.

but what your missing is that from the beginning you focus on an Arena line up that keeps you top 50. This keeps you ahead of the curve of the FTP and small gemmers. As you get replacements for your 5th and Sid that fills out the GW bench.

I would say don't waste resources on building anyone who is just good for GW until your arena team is solid. Barriss for example is a waste of resources until you have a 7 star arena team.

So are we talking Top 50 or Top 20? in the OP I said a strong GW is good enough to get you into the Top 100 on most servers. On a mature server you need all 7* max geared toons that match the speed/damage meta if you want top 20....even then it's kind of a crap shoot with RNG. If you have more than 1 healer (most top squads have zero) you won't win.

I hear you with making the jump early and milking the high rank before everyone else catches up or a server merge happens. I also agree that it's best to level toons that are viable for both modes.

Perhaps the moral of the story is you MUST have good healers to complete GW and if you're F2P you want your arena team to feature a healer;)

• Options
    I clear it often with:

7* Sid
    7* Lumi
    7* HK
    7* JC
    7* Kylo

occasionally have QGJ 5* in there to burn down a dooku

I have a decent B team that can take out a toon or two.

I'm constantly in the top 100, around the 50-80 range, which is fine by me

Aren't you the same guy last month that kept posting how you could never clear GW? What changed? Did you just need better healers or more toons?
  • Options
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    with GW back to back teams 10 levels up ends my day. But outside of that GW is very manageable.

I think your advice might be better changed to if you aren't finishing top 100 in arena and aren't finishing Galaxy wars focus on getting what you need to finish Galaxy wars because you are too far behind to catch up in arena without gemming.

Good food for thought. Although to be fair, the vast majority of ppl who play apply to the "aren't finishing in top 100 arena" category.
  • Options
    Chef5 wrote: »
    GW isn't very fun when a GW team wipes out your team, in two AOE's the first two turns...

That's why you have to have depth on your bench. When you face a Sid, Lumi team you have to send in 5 18 - 40 lvl toons to take the first AoE attacks and then die. Then your A team comes in and faces them. They have already burnt their specials so they open with basic attacks giving you the advantage.

I would say focus your energy on Arena, and GW will come as you build depth on your team. Your A team is Arena, but you need a good B team to beat GW.

Character Name: Nofaultius
  • Options
    started playing mid Dec, 100% FTP.
    Always top 20 in arena, and complete GW daily since I learned the old retreat function.

• Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Options
    Wish I could have read about this ages ago. I finish rank 2 usually at prize giving time and my GW is impossible lately. Wish I could undo the changes and revert to my old easy GW. Haven't completed GW in a long time, and after using 3 suicide squads I can sometimes finish node 6. Unable to complete later nodes of GW means much less credits earnt. With fewer credits I'm unable to advance my roster and make more suicide teams. It's a vicious circle.
  • Options
    The focus on GW, regardless of future tweaks to difficulty is more rewarding overall. This is unless you are consistently top 5 on your shard. For those on younger shards I would live it up in the arena if you can and then once the whales take over, shift to a GW focus. To hold top 5 against the whales will mean that you're spending the crystals back you gain in arena refreshes. Your better off just turning your focus to GW. This will get you more ability mats, more credits, and more hero shards, which could then mean working towards grievous or whomever the new hero is.

You will reach a point with a good GW team, heals, a bench and retreats that even the toughest GW battles are winnable. You won't reach the same luxury holding rank on defense in arena.