Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler thread

Replies

• Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    SPOILER ALERT

There were at least 4 scenes that gave me goose bumps, one of which almost made me cry: the one that almost made me cry was Luke staring at the two suns like on Tatooine. Man, nice scene, very good. The others were Yoda's force ghost appearing to give Luke his last training bit. Other very nice scene. Another quite good scene was Rey and Chewie's arrival on the Falcon: Falcon's arrivals are always quite epic and I think we could have got another tip about Rey being Skywalker-related somehow. The last was Rey's and Kylo's battle against FORGs. Quite epic. Those toons are cool af though, we absolutely want them as First Order's version of the good ol' RG.
  • I haven't watched the movie, but I make a decision that will not watch it. I read many spoilers and review and I think that I don't want to see these Luke and Lea (a.k.a. Mary Poppins). The only "good" thing about this movie is that make my intention to stop playing this game much easier - I just don't want any toons from this movie - Flying Lea, Luke Assassin or Mighty Nobody Snoke.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    pargame wrote: »
    I haven't watched the movie, but I make a decision that will not watch it. I read many spoilers and review and I think that I don't want to see these Luke and Lea (a.k.a. Mary Poppins). The only "good" thing about this movie is that make my intention to stop playing this game much easier - I just don't want any toons from this movie - Flying Lea, Luke Assassin or Mighty Nobody Snoke.

Much to learn, you still have. A art, trolling is.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    I thought Luke’s death was perfect. It mirrored Obi-Wan’s sacrifice without being a ripoff, it demonstrated his power without undermining his character (unlike yoda in the prequels), it expands our understanding of the force, and it was a huge surprise that nobody could have seen coming. It was tasteful, emotional, bittersweet, and epic. Best part of the movie (following rey’s temptation by kylo which was shockingly convincing)

Except it wasn't Obi-Wan's OR Yoda's death, but caught in some kind of...dare I say lukewarm? middleground. Obi-Wan's death was a direct sacrifice. Luke didn't sacrifice anything. Yoda died because he was 900-something and it was his time, plus it added significance to the fact that when Luke went to fight Vader he was going to be the LAST Jedi. Luke's death just kind of...happens. No real set up, and nothing accomplished. Sure it was surprising, but not in a good way. My response went kind of like this:
    "Wait, Luke just died? Okaaay...but why tho?"
    Good find. I think TLJ did a much better job with Omage than TFA did, especially since despite the heavy allusions to ESB, the plot wasn't identical as with TFA and ANH.

It took me a second to figure out you meant homage. Okay yeah about that, I think this is a debate that will be argued over and over again.
    TLJ borrowed plot points from ESB and RotJ. TFA was practically a beat-for-beat remake of ANH, but TLJ blended episodes 5 and 6 and undercut expectations, especially with the reveal of Rey's parents as supposedly "nobodies." The debate is whether TLJ did this well or just recycled old ideas. That's up to the individual to decide.

The most important takeaway is that now that episodes 4, 5, and 6 have been covered, we are in new territory (come on jj old buddy dont fail me now)

Agreed! I think he can pull it off. It's a monster of a job though. He has to wrap everything up in a satisfying way while appealing to mass audiences AND keeping the fans happy. I do not envy him.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
    What did y’all think of the yoda scene? I was initially a little put off because of his appearance, but I loved the dialogue and scene itself. It reminded me of my favorite scenes from empire while expanding on them and distinguishing itself. People often forget how funny and seemingly contradictory he was in Empire, and TLJ perfectly captured his character the way I remember him.

His appearance looked like the lovechild abomination of CGI and puppetry after both of them drank way too much blue milk.

His dialogue mostly lacked the Yoda speech patterns we all know...for no apparent reason. Got grammar, Yoda did.

I suppose other than that he was fine...except I don't ever remember force ghosts being able to physically interact with the world. I wish this new trilogy wouldn't break so many of the established rules and standards the previous movies set up.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I thought Luke’s death was perfect. It mirrored Obi-Wan’s sacrifice without being a ripoff, it demonstrated his power without undermining his character (unlike yoda in the prequels), it expands our understanding of the force, and it was a huge surprise that nobody could have seen coming. It was tasteful, emotional, bittersweet, and epic. Best part of the movie (following rey’s temptation by kylo which was shockingly convincing)

Except it wasn't Obi-Wan's OR Yoda's death, but caught in some kind of...dare I say lukewarm? middleground. Obi-Wan's death was a direct sacrifice. Luke didn't sacrifice anything. Yoda died because he was 900-something and it was his time, plus it added significance to the fact that when Luke went to fight Vader he was going to be the LAST Jedi. Luke's death just kind of...happens. No real set up, and nothing accomplished. Sure it was surprising, but not in a good way. My response went kind of like this:

Well, he reached the end of his story. His faith was restored and he helped the Resistance big time. He finally reached peace with himself and the Force. What else would you have him do? Anything beyond that would imo be overstaying.
  • Good find. I think TLJ did a much better job with Omage than TFA did, especially since despite the heavy allusions to ESB, the plot wasn't identical as with TFA and ANH.

It took me a second to figure out you meant homage. Okay yeah about that, I think this is a debate that will be argued over and over again.
    TLJ borrowed plot points from ESB and RotJ. TFA was practically a beat-for-beat remake of ANH, but TLJ blended episodes 5 and 6 and undercut expectations, especially with the reveal of Rey's parents as supposedly "nobodies." The debate is whether TLJ did this well or just recycled old ideas. That's up to the individual to decide.

Oops, yes.
  • SPOILER ALERT. Don't read the spoiler without watching TLJ.
    Well, Rey ain't a Skywalker. She is literally only powerful because the Force needed her to be equal to Kylo. And just so you know, acquiring abilities to solve problems as the plot requires fits the definition of a Mary Sue all day. TLJ handled her better but because she was setup so poorly, it's hard to be invested in her character now.
  • Actually in 1st 2 episodes of 3rd triology they call them selves resistance.
    Finn in episode VII refers to Rey he is with resistance, also in EP VIII several times FInn and new actress on mission of getting hacker quote they are with resistance to slave kids. So i assume they are resistance not rebels. Altho going to the end of ep VIII Leja says we are the spark that will lite rebelion so atm they are not rebels yet. And game wise would be lame to have another op rebel, this franchise is about Jedi and sith and i think those factions should be dominant in game not rebels like chirut,baze,wedge,bigs and a lot more rebels out here. Give some love to Sith and Jedi pretty please.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    SPOILER ALERT. Don't read the spoiler without watching TLJ.
    Well, Rey ain't a Skywalker. She is literally only powerful because the Force needed her to be equal to Kylo. And just so you know, acquiring abilities to solve problems as the plot requires fits the definition of a Mary Sue all day. TLJ handled her better but because she was setup so poorly, it's hard to be invested in her character now.

I wouldn't be so sure about her not being a Skywalker, we have just one source for this and I don't think honesty was his top priority at the time. Or perhaps he didn't even know it for sure himself.
  • With The Last Jedi on the horizon, I am starting to see that ridiculous claim pop up often again, especially on YouTube. Well, here is how you can show people how silly they are being... Feel free to link my post and it should shut them up pretty fast. :wink:

First of all, I am 100% positive Rey comes from the Skywalker family and her character is essentially the same as the protagonists (Luke and Anakin) in the previous two trilogies. All three characters had pretty much the same background, story development, and skill sets.

Lets examine the characters and see just how similar they are.....

20hrotg.jpg
    Luke Skywalker - Luke was a great pilot, skilled mechanic and extremely powerful Force-user. He grew up on a desolate planet (Tatooine) and dreamed of becoming a pilot. He began using Force abilities with no training, as we saw in the trench run on the Death Star and during his lightsaber practice with the seeker droid. He picked up his mechanical skills while working with droids on the farm. He learned to fly in a T16 and once he joined the Rebellion, he quickly became one of the best pilots. Luke suddenly found himself thrown into the conflict, was trained by one of the greatest Jedi (Obi-Wan), experienced an important death (Obi-Wan) that changed his character in either a good or bad way, and eventually his story culminated in a battle with a family member (Vader).

8ys6x0.jpg
    Anakin Skywalker - Anakin was a great pilot, skilled mechanic and extremely powerful Force-user. He grew up on a desolate planet (Tatooine) and dreamed of becoming a pilot. He began using Force abilities with no training, as we witnessed in the Boonta Eve Classic podrace. Qui-Gon Jinn even mentions it to his mother in one scene. He picked up his mechanical skills while working on droids and podracers. He didn't have any previous experience as a pilot until his first space battle but the podracing helped and he quickly became one the best pilots. Anakin suddenly found himself thrown into the conflict, was trained by one of the greatest Jedi (Obi-Wan), experienced an important death (his mother) that changed his character in either a good or bad way, and eventually his story culminated in a battle with a family member. Obi-Wan was essentially his brother as he said himself. Then later he fought his son.

1z2j2fs.jpg
    Rey Skywalker - Rey was a great pilot, skilled mechanic and will be an extremely powerful Force-user. She grew up on a desolate planet (Jakku) and dreamed of becoming a pilot. She began using Force abilities with no training, as we witnessed in the interrogation scene and when she fought Kylo. She picked up her mechanical skills while scavenging ships for a living. And as we read in the book, she learned to pilot ships after finding an old flight simulator computer in one of the scavenged ships. Rey suddenly found herself thrown into the conflict, will be trained by one of the greatest Jedi (Luke), experienced an important death (Han Solo) that changed her character in either a good or bad way, and eventually her story in the first film culminated in a battle with a family member (Kylo Ren), whom she will most likely battle again later in the series.

As you can see, the three characters are nearly identical in terms of story and skills. This is why I am 100% sure that Luke will be Rey's father. They are obviously doing a continuation of the Skywalker story. They are also elements from the Jacen and Jaina Solo story in the Expanded Universe books. Both of whom had the same skills as Luke and Anakin as well, btw. If they hate Rey, they would really lose their minds if the freaking Sword of the Jedi, Jaina Solo, was in the movie instead. lol I can already imagine the outrage. :D

OTHER COMMON ARGUMENTS:

But how could she possibly win a lightsaber duel with a Sith without any training, while Luke got his hand cut off in his first battle with Vader? Well, the first problem is that Kylo is just an apprentice and Vader was a Sith Lord. In fact, he was THE Dark Lord of the Sith. Snoke also mentions that Kylo needed to complete his training so he clearly is not a Sith Lord. The second problem with this argument is that Kylo was seriously injured by Chewie's bowcaster from a previous scene. This is why someone (Finn) who wasn't even Force-user was able to survive as long as he did against him. Finally, lightsaber dueling is more about the Force than actual training and skill with the weapon. If people had read the books they would have a better understanding of it. Particularly the New Jedi Order series. The Jedi had to fight an enemy (the Yuuzhan Vong) that they couldn't sense with the Force so they were unable to use it to anticipate their actions during battles. They had to rely on their lightsaber skill alone and this didn't always turn out well for some of them. Oh and Rey was also clearly skilled at fighting with her staff.

But how was Rey able to fly the Falcon better than Han Solo? When exactly was it established that she was better at flying the Falcon than Han? I think people mean to say she was better at fixing the Falcon, which makes sense considering that she salvaged ships for a living. Also, she may very well be better at piloting the Falcon than Han, considering her natural Force ability and the fact that she spent so much time on the flight simulator. And don't forget that Skywalker bloodline. Also, remember that Han is not a Force-user.

So for the last time, no, Rey is not a Mary Sue. If she is, then so are Anakin and Luke. Anakin was the freaking Chosen One. lol

If anyone has any other questions they would like me to address, feel free to let me know.

jfcmmq.png

Boy were you wrong.
  • MARAJADESKYWALKEREH
    12 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Force Projected Jedi Master Luke Skywalker... it's a sure win!
    Post edited by Kozispoon on
  • Any Hutt character
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Blue_10 wrote: »
    I like the fact that Luke kept his promise of going to the island to die while still haveing such a big influence.

I liked Yoda. Everyone does and the fact we got to see him again was brilliant.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the visuals. I think Yoda in ESB is creepy looking.

Johnson used his character well. By burning the books Yoda is still teaching Luke that he needs to look forward and that being a Jedi was about doing what's right not getting distracted by rules or teachings.

Except he didn't burn the books. Remember Yoda saying that there's nothing in the books Rey doesn't already possess? That's because she possesses the actual books. It was shown in an easy-to-miss scene at the end, they were in a drawer on the Falcon. And it makes Yoda possibly the best troll ever.

Fair point.

However I would have liked the books to actually burn. It would have made being a Jedi less about a religion and more about a force for good. Hence Luke's desire to burn the books.
  • Drazhar wrote: »
    The last was Rey's and Kylo's battle against FORGs. Quite epic. Those toons are cool af though, we absolutely want them as First Order's version of the good ol' RG.

Called Praetorian Guards

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    A spoiler warning would be nice here. And this thread is getting moved/deleted soon anyway as the mods try to keep the spoilers confined in one megathread.

As for character suggestions, give us the Ahch-to whale-cow!
  • LordDirt
    4916 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    After watching TLJ it still shows how much more of a Mary Sue she is. The whole movie took place in less than a day and yet she can still hang with Kylo Ren and his powers while he is at 100%.

Snoke even said the light rises to meet the darkness. He thought it would be Luke but it was Rey. So he is even saying Rey is more powerful than Luke and for no reason.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • I prefer Peter Panning Leia Organa.

~D
  • Fürkész
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I suppose other than that he was fine...except I don't ever remember force ghosts being able to physically interact with the world. I wish this new trilogy wouldn't break so many of the established rules and standards the previous movies set up.

Kenobi force ghost just simply sat down on a fallen tree. I think it is a physical interaction.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Obi Wan sacrificed himself to buy Luke and Co time to escape while also confronting an old friend who had fallen to the dark side. Although he “dies”, he does so in a way that demontrates his awesome power and connection to the force and shows that the light side will always reach a deeper strength than the dark.

Luke sacrificed himself to buy the Resistance time to escape while also confronting an old friend who had fallen to the dark side. Although he “dies”, he does so in a way that demontrates his awesome power and connection to the force and shows that the light side will always reach a deeper strength than the dark.

Unlike TFA, this “quoting” of classic scenes feels like homage rather than a lazy rip off. Theres a clear passion for the OT material, but it tells its own story
    What did y’all think of the yoda scene? I was initially a little put off because of his appearance, but I loved the dialogue and scene itself. It reminded me of my favorite scenes from empire while expanding on them and distinguishing itself. People often forget how funny and seemingly contradictory he was in Empire, and TLJ perfectly captured his character the way I remember him.

His appearance looked like the lovechild abomination of CGI and puppetry after both of them drank way too much blue milk.

His dialogue mostly lacked the Yoda speech patterns we all know...for no apparent reason. Got grammar, Yoda did.

There are no established rules when it comes to what’s possible with the Force. The whole point of the Force in the OT is that its a mystical, abstract concept whose potential is only limited by a character’s belief in them-self and their imagination. I absolutely love that the new films are expanding this potential. It means we aren’t going to see the same stuff in every movie.

Finally we’ve gotten a star wars movie that truly innovates, takes risks, and feels new and people are criticizing it for not being what they expected. Smh
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Fürkész wrote: »

Kenobi force ghost just simply sat down on a fallen tree. I think it is a physical interaction.

One has to wonder, though, why do the Jedi bother with physical bodies at all when being a ghost seems to have only benefits...
  • Nauros wrote: »

One has to wonder, though, why do the Jedi bother with physical bodies at all when being a ghost seems to have only benefits...

uhhh... sex?!?
  • I liked the movie except the Leia scene and Phasma's death.
    Snoke was just a stepping stone. The king is dead, long live the king. I'm fine with that.
    I felt like they could have turned Phasma's revenge on Finn into a compelling story arc, but... missed opportunity
    I loved the Kylo/Rey relationship and her parents are exactly who I thought they were.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Poe's arc and Finn and Roses story was required to make it work. I know everyone else thought that part was boring. I liked it.
    Yoda was perfect!
    Luke was exactly what everyone expected.
    Hux was marginalized and turned into a joke. I hope he gets a revenge arc where he tries to stab Kylo in the back and lead the FO himself. Otherwise, waste of a character.
    I'm not sure how I felt about the death of Luke. Was he supposed to be Snoke's opposite and died because Snoke did? If so, where does that leave Rey and Kylo? Did he die because he used too much power? IDK, it was just weird or I just didn't understand it.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    pargame wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

uhhh... sex?!?

Not a problem when they can physically interact with their surroundings. I mean, when ghost Yoda can whack Luke with his walking stick, he can whack someone else with his other stick too.
    984908c4d655b9326573bcf5fd2548d5.jpg
  • pargame wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

uhhh... sex?!?

This had to be explained?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited December 2017

Obi Wan buys time for Luke and Co to escape by confronting a former pupil who fell to the dark side. Although he "dies", its in a way that still bests his opponent because it demonstrates his awesome power and connection to the Force. It shows that pursuing the dark side might bring you immediate strength, but the light side taps into a much deeper, more organic strength.

Luke buys time for the Resistance to escape by confronting a former pupil who fell to the dark side. Although he "dies", its in a way that still bests his opponent because it demonstrates his awesome power and connection to the Force. It shows that pursuing the dark side might bring you immediate strength, but the light side taps into a much deeper, more organic strength.

TLJ often "quotes" the OT, but unlike TFA, its executed in a way that contributes to its own unique story and isnt just a lazy ripoff.

The whole point of the Force (as established in Empire and ruined in the prequels) is that it's non-tangible, mystical, and abstract. It's potential is only limited by a Force-users conviction in themselves and their imagination, not their "power level". It's a reflection of a character, their conflicts (with themselves and their opponents), and their growth. At no point in Empire does Yoda say, "here are all of the abilities a force-wielder has access to: telekinesis, mind tricks, lightning, etc." Unlike the prequels, each of the films in the OT expanded the audience's conception of the force, and what it was capable of.

People's biggest complaint with TFA is that it was too familiar and didn't take any risks. Finally, we're getting movies that continue that expansion and keep the Force and the universe fresh and awe-inspiring but people are criticizing it for not being familiar and not conforming to their expectations.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    My biggest problem with rey’s character in TFA wasn’t that she was “too good” at the force, but that she didn’t have any character flaws that could be exploited to make a convincing allure to the dark side.
    So boy was I surprised when TLJ made me believe in the possibility that she could join Kylo. I loved how learning her parentage made her question her loyalty to the resistance and got rid of any moral obligations. She is her own person and isn’t living in the shadow of someone’s legacy. Kylo exploited this aspect of her character and made the draw to the dark side much stronger.

TLJ even turned her strength into a great plot and character element so that Luke feared her power and saw the potential for darkness in her.

I loved everything having to do with kylo and rey so much more than I was expecting. Here’s to hoping abrams doesn’t screw it up in episode 9.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Now that Luke’s lightsaber has been destroyed, do y’all think Rey is going to use the books to make her own, new lightsaber?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Now that Luke’s lightsaber has been destroyed, do y’all think Rey is going to use the books to make her own, new lightsaber?

Well, she can't hope to beat Kylo with her old staff. But she could (and imo should) use it as a starting point when making a new lightsaber and come up with something less traditional. It would make sense to just modify a familiar weapon, although she learns how to fight with anything impossibly fast...
This discussion has been closed.