Ships update?

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    TAureliusC wrote: »
    Let's just hope they get it right before releasing it

Bartender! I'll have what he's having! ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    TAureliusC wrote: »
    Let's just hope they get it right before releasing it

Agreed. I like it. But it has so much potential to be more. I can wait a little longer if it means more fun.
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Options
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    Fleet arena is a mess. Totally RNG dependent with unpredictable results from wildly mismatched teams. They need to activate the ship mod feature (astromech droids or whatever) that’s sitting there waiting to be switched on. It gets old when you repeatedly lose to a team with identical ships but much less power just because you can’t land target lock or dodge but they magically can.

There is no strategy to fleet arena, just coin flipping. That’s not fun. At all.

God no, last thing we need is another money sink on gear when t12 is still being done
  • Options
    what we really need is a ship equivalent of Zarriss
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    Why not just give her wings?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options

Rex's ARC is pretty close.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    "Lotros wrote: »
    Mace Windu's Capital ship? I personally think this could compete with chimaera but no one is going to gear up mace windu. Not unless you have a boatload of gear lying around to ignore every other aspect of the game.
    Let me disabuse you of this notion: Endurance is bad no matter how you gear Mace. I took him to g11 because it was surprisingly cheap to do it and he still regularly gets stomped by Thrawn and Tarkin. Worse yet, because he isn’t Thrawn or Tarkin he’s a great big glowing target that gets attacked dozens of times a day.
    Ships tied to non meta toons create an enormous lack of diversity, since ship power is immensely tied to that toons power.
    And to disabise this notion—I’ve been using non-meta ships and can confirm, yeah, they’re bad too. Gear the non-meta characters up, give them mods, get all the stars, explode in a fiery ball. Some have niche roles—Clone Trooper Sgt and Vader can take out a TIE Fighter through its dumb dodges; Sgt can be a tough tank if you can get Endurance’s taunt to last more than one action before Vader, Asohka, TIE Reaper, or 5s cleanse it or the bajillion AOEs make it trivial. Consular’s heal goes away with one hit and while his assist is super strong, his basic is completely irrelevant and the cooldown on his specials are just too long.

People use the meta ships because they’re good. It certain *does* help that their pilots are useful elsewhere—but a lot of the non-meta characters are just as useful elsewhere (HAAT, Rancor, etc) and their ships are just bad. Ungood At Any Speed.

EDIT: just to be clear, I agree with you that Fleet is a mess. I loved it early on when people were leveling and gearing and looking for new combinations. My disagreement is only with the optimism you show :) I hate cynicism in general, but ****, man... Fleet is just busted right now and needs a lot of work. I have faith they’ll do it! But, ****... It’s just so frustrating right now.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Some have niche roles—Clone Trooper Sgt and Vader can take out a TIE Fighter through its dumb dodges

Maybe just a misread on my part but this sounds like you're calling Vader's ship a "niche" ship rather than a meta ship.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    The two big thing we need in ships is:
    • Variety, by releasing a bunch of new, farmable ships that can shake up the meta. Say around 8 (also a nice round number to give 4 complete fleets in TW). Release them in relatively quick succession so that players need to pick between them. Some with new pilots, some with existing (Awing/Resistance, Red5/Farmboy Luke, for example)
    • Reworks of a few key non-meta ships that challenges the meta, such as a hard counter to Biggs, like a Fracture-like ability. Biggs has been meta since the beginning.
    Adding hardware capabilities or ship omegas will just feed the current meta.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    The problem is they will not just release a bunch of new ships and make it fun. They will release ships like characters a couple at a time and you'll need them for the next ship release 1 day after they go to a hard node farm. Everyone will farm the same ships because they have to and there will not be any variety
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Some have niche roles—Clone Trooper Sgt and Vader can take out a TIE Fighter through its dumb dodges

Maybe just a misread on my part but this sounds like you're calling Vader's ship a "niche" ship rather than a meta ship.

Eh, I might not have been clear enough either.

Vader's ship is definitely meta. Sgt is niche because his special needs Target Lock to be unavoidable. But if you have the two of them on the field (in space?) at once you can basically two-shot a TIE. And then you can throw taunt on Sgt and see it immediately get cleansed while he sits there for a million turns doing nothing because he's slow and outside of his special doesn't do much damage. Hooray......
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'd much rather bring Poe in off the bench to finish off TIE if needed. I have Clone Sgt worked up from the early days of beating the Ackbar challenges and...ugh.
  • Options
    Lotros wrote: »
    I don't believe RNG is the biggest problem. I believe it is the lack of diversity.
    The biggest problem stems from not only do you have to star and level up your ship. You have to level and gear up the associated toons.
    This often leads people to lean towards the exact same toons used in ships. The toons that can cross over to every other aspect of the game. TFP anyone?
    Command shuttle has been in how long? No one goes for it. 2 of the 3 toons were not really useful in arena or raids until recently. Arguably phasma still doesn't have a place.
    Mace Windu's Capital ship? I personally think this could compete with chimaera but no one is going to gear up mace windu. Not unless you have a boatload of gear lying around to ignore every other aspect of the game.
    How about the tie reaper. What a great ship. You don't see a lot. It takes a long time to grind to 7 stars. Then you have to gear up the deathtrooper and shoretrooper. While they had a small time in the sun it wasn't long enough to make it to the next meta. Now you are starting to see more of them because deathtrooper and shoretrooper are finding places in meta teams.

Because let us all be honest. You can't put in the tie reaper without having the DT/ST leveled/geared up. Otherwise it gets one shot and seems like an enormous pile, which it is not.

Sorry for wall.
    TL:DR
    Ships tied to non meta toons create an enormous lack of diversity, since ship power is immensely tied to that toons power.

"Tie reaper... you don't see alot" You must be new to fleet.... even my dec'17 alt has a reaper with reapers in the shard.

Mace was my main capital ship before thrawn and i can tell you he is pretty much ill-equipped to take down thrawn. Tarkin is still the best response to thrawn, and mace is the best response to tarkin. Ackbar should be able to burst down any of them early on offense and then pray for decent rng.
  • Options
    "Lotros wrote: »
    Let me disabuse you of this notion: Endurance is bad no matter how you gear Mace. I took him to g11 because it was surprisingly cheap to do it and he still regularly gets stomped by Thrawn and Tarkin. Worse yet, because he isn’t Thrawn or Tarkin he’s a great big glowing target that gets attacked dozens of times a day.
    And to disabise this notion—I’ve been using non-meta ships and can confirm, yeah, they’re bad too. Gear the non-meta characters up, give them mods, get all the stars, explode in a fiery ball. Some have niche roles—Clone Trooper Sgt and Vader can take out a TIE Fighter through its dumb dodges; Sgt can be a tough tank if you can get Endurance’s taunt to last more than one action before Vader, Asohka, TIE Reaper, or 5s cleanse it or the bajillion AOEs make it trivial. Consular’s heal goes away with one hit and while his assist is super strong, his basic is completely irrelevant and the cooldown on his specials are just too long.

People use the meta ships because they’re good. It certain *does* help that their pilots are useful elsewhere—but a lot of the non-meta characters are just as useful elsewhere (HAAT, Rancor, etc) and their ships are just bad. Ungood At Any Speed.

EDIT: just to be clear, I agree with you that Fleet is a mess. I loved it early on when people were leveling and gearing and looking for new combinations. My disagreement is only with the optimism you show :) I hate cynicism in general, but ****, man... Fleet is just busted right now and needs a lot of work. I have faith they’ll do it! But, ****... It’s just so frustrating right now.

The fact that he says reapers are uncommon and mace is the best against thrawn already makes me doubt his experience in fleet.

But whatever, imo if you're maxed out and at the top it doesnt really matter. Easy 300-400 crystals a day is a good thing. Last thing we need is another crystal sink for 2 new toons just to unlock another OP legendary ship where krakens will splurge and block out the top 10
  • Options

Vader's ship is definitely meta. Sgt is niche because his special needs Target Lock to be unavoidable. But if you have the two of them on the field (in space?) at once you can basically two-shot a TIE. And then you can throw taunt on Sgt and see it immediately get cleansed while he sits there for a million turns doing nothing because he's slow and outside of his special doesn't do much damage. Hooray......

Why not just use poe and vader.... poe has the fastest base speed and anything below a g11 tfp dies instantly to his special
  • Options
    I didn't ask for ships/never liked ships and worst than all..ship arena is too RNG dependent like others have said. I do maybe a battle or 2 a day and that's it. As a matter of fact..I auto battle that part of the game. If ship arena winning and losing was more about the ship used/abilities used/opponent targeted/ I would probably enjoy it more. But since it is more of a coin toss..it's just a turn off for me. For ships I do just enough to get 1200 ship tokens a day.

I started playing this game 2 years ago because I like the Star Wars franchise and the characters in the movies ever since I was a kid. The ships or ship battles in the movies just didn't do it for me. If you ask me..ships were added for 1 thing and 1 thing only...for the game to make even more money. And because of this ship feature now added...it makes the game more tedious/more things to have to farm/more resources having to be spent that I would much rather spend elsewhere. But it is what it is. I do just enough to get what I need to get done then I move on to something else I'd rather do.

I know other people like ships and that's cool that's their opinion...and being that the devs do listen to feedback "or at least they say they do"...then what I wrote is my own personal experience and how I feel about the whole "ship" part of this game. If ships were never added I wouldn't care less.

The game is what it is and I just have to accept it..which I have done. Reduce the RNG factor some and I'm sure my opinion would change.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    He wasn't saying you should use Clone Sgt, he was just pointing out there is one very limited place it can be used.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'd much rather bring Poe in off the bench to finish off TIE if needed. I have Clone Sgt worked up from the early days of beating the Ackbar challenges and...ugh.
    I worked on the character to put together a Clone team for the HAAT and I'm extremely pleased with him in general. Sure, I won't run Clones in Arena, but they're still good for Territory Battles and every War I look at my Clone team and see 3-4 defensive wins, so I don't regret that.

The ship is 7* because it's a Galactic War purchase so why not? :P But, yeah, it's just not good.

Why not just use poe and vader.... poe has the fastest base speed and anything below a g11 tfp dies instantly to his special
    Yes. Which is why I'm saying "Sgt isn't very good because there's literally only one niche thing he can do if set up with another ship."
  • Options
    Just remove this content, has a bad gameplay, the devs dont bother to update it and takes too much time for 0 fun
  • Options
    I feel like one of the biggest reasons for it being stale is the target lock mechanic and how it synergizes with biggs and other meta ships.

IMO they need to rework ships so that there are a variety of tank options that have good taunts not reliant on target lock and rework ships that apply target lock with a special to be both unavoidable and much more powerful. There is no use for the resistance xwing in the current meta for example with an unreliable mechanism to apply target lock and a lackluster kit outside of that special.

I think they had a good idea with phoenix but it fell short since it doesn't work exactly like Chaze making it too easy to avoid the taunt. Likewise there are probably some good utility ships out there but lacking synergy with target lock means they stay in the hanger. Being tied to crew that isn't worth taking past g8 also doesn't help diversity.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I feel like one of the biggest reasons for it being stale is the target lock mechanic and how it synergizes with biggs and other meta ships.

IMO they need to rework ships so that there are a variety of tank options that have good taunts not reliant on target lock and rework ships that apply target lock with a special to be both unavoidable and much more powerful. There is no use for the resistance xwing in the current meta for example with an unreliable mechanism to apply target lock and a lackluster kit outside of that special.

I think they had a good idea with phoenix but it fell short since it doesn't work exactly like Chaze making it too easy to avoid the taunt. Likewise there are probably some good utility ships out there but lacking synergy with target lock means they stay in the hanger. Being tied to crew that isn't worth taking past g8 also doesn't help diversity.
    Target lock is fine.

The heart of the problem is that there are only four leaders. Like, in Arena you tend to see a lot of repeat leaders, but there are still dozens of them that are Arena-viable. In Fleet you only have four, period, and really only two of them are Arena-viable.

To make matters worse, those leaders aren't really team-stamped. Sure, Home One gives bonus protection to Rebel ships, but it still gives protection to any ship that attacks out of turn. Any ship that comes in under Tarkin will counterattack. Similarly, even the ships themselves are barely team-stamped. Scimitar gives everyone stealth, First Order Tie Fighter doesn't care if it's First Order or Resistance that attacks the Target Locked enemy. Very few ships actually care at all who is with them.

Add more capital ships and you'll see some increase in variety--but add more faction-based effects and boni and you'll see much more.
  • Patrixon
    40 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • JJay
    368 posts Member
    Options

No we don’t, want we need is for them to leave ships totally alone, as I’m happy with taking my 400 crystals each day, what they have just done is ruined a team I’ve spent a year building, at the moment I feel like punching someone’s face in at Capital Games, I’m not going to lie.
  • Options
    Patrixon wrote: »

i can´t stand the videos from all that youtubers all around the world. after 5minutes i am asleep or i am forced to close the videos before i get angry and throw my laptop away...
    can anybody tell me if there is a release date for the upcoming shipnerf or not?
  • Options
    I am one who will probably be hurt by this personally as i constantly top my shard at payout time but i think this will be good for the game as a whole. Have to look at it from a 'big picture' point of view
  • jedilord
    338 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I am one who will probably be hurt by this personally as i constantly top my shard at payout time but i think this will be good for the game as a whole. Have to look at it from a 'big picture' point of view

haha... what have they announced in that video? are they taking htat terrible RNG completely out of the game? i can´t think anything else is good for the game as a whole^^
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because Ahnald is good at hyping stuff up, but the ship update sounds great. Or maybe it is because the bar is set so low with the current state...
    Anyway, what they didn't mention is that the reduction of base fleet from 5 to 3 enables more fleets for TW and TB, which is great. So far, it is for me two decent fleets + one scraps for TW and in TB it is basically down to a single fleet, which sucks when there is both combat and special mission in DS.
  • Options
    Gotta say, this looks to be a solid update. I'm excited to see what this brings! Looks to be better all around!
  • Options
    But ahnald says it brought his battles down to 1-2.5min. That's kinda untrue - my shard (Dec15 shard) is already rotating with ~1min battles for everyone.
  • Options
    I worked on the character to put together a Clone team for the HAAT and I'm extremely pleased with him in general. Sure, I won't run Clones in Arena, but they're still good for Territory Battles and every War I look at my Clone team and see 3-4 defensive wins, so I don't regret that.

The ship is 7* because it's a Galactic War purchase so why not? :P But, yeah, it's just not good.

Yes. Which is why I'm saying "Sgt isn't very good because there's literally only one niche thing he can do if set up with another ship."

I find sgt pretty decent though. Synergizes well with the clones and plo koon. Before thrawn was out, a clones + plo koon fleet under mace lead easily sweeps tarkin away. Now i use them for taking out tarkins in TW.