Darth maul is fine as it is.

Replies

• Options
    So... If maul gets an assist against a Jedi he doesn't need a buff? If any DPS got that assist the toon would be dead. Maul is not-competitive and needs a toon up.
  • Options
    Everybody who are whining about maul... stop being so greedy. He is powerful enough as he is. WHy don't you ask buff for sid while your at it
  • Options
    Everybody who are whining about maul... stop being so greedy. He is powerful enough as he is. WHy don't you ask buff for sid while your at it

Sid is top tier and I use him constantly. No need to buff Sid. Maul could disappear from my roster and I might not realize it for a month. Comparing those two is very questionable.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    For maul to gain any meaningful speed or health he'd have to sacrifice damage potential. Most people don't have an issue with reasonable requests for balance. However, most requests I've seen are to dramatically increase survivability and speed while maintaining existing damage potential or even increasing it. This would be totally game breaking. @JohnnySteelAlpha has really been the only one that supports a maul buff and been reasonable enough to state the same.
  • Options
    No way he's fine.. He is not horny enough, he needs a lot more horns to be like the DM in the movie.
  • Options
    yes
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    No way he's fine.. He is not horny enough, he needs a lot more horns to be like the DM in the movie.

ISeeWhatYouDidThere4.jpeg
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    For maul to gain any meaningful speed or health he'd have to sacrifice damage potential. Most people don't have an issue with reasonable requests for balance. However, most requests I've seen are to dramatically increase survivability and speed while maintaining existing damage potential or even increasing it. This would be totally game breaking. @JohnnySteelAlpha has really been the only one that supports a maul buff and been reasonable enough to state the same.

Yeah buff is probably wrong word - I think he'd need a complete re-work. I think they made him such an imbalanced character that just buffing his health / speed a material amount would be risky because they put such a high end ability on his offensive kit. The meter gain / offense up / heal is great when it's rolling. For that reason, I think he's probably stuck as is for good with this imbalanced skill set. He's really great late in the match as a finisher when deaths start accumulating and damage his been dealt, but with such low health he's at very high risk of not actually making it to the finishing phase of the matchup to execute his skills.

I wish he wasn't so reliant on a taunt as well - he's a top tier character, he shouldn't NEED a caddy. I tried him multiple times across multiple GWs vs. Jedi in an all Sith team - no RG for example, and he just got the snot beat out of him by a Jinn led Jedi squad - Jinn, Yoda, Eeth, Lumi, Old Ben, JKA, Aayla, Kit, etc. Ran Maul leader - 7* maxed, Dooku 7* maxed, Sid 7* maxed - Vader 5* maxed otherwise -and stuck in a maxed 7* GS since he's so good. Was just no contest vs. top end Jedi teams.

I know people here often say Jedi are underpowered, but if you took the Sith in this game and matched them vs. the top Jedi, the Jedi steamroll the Sith. Jedi just too diverse in skills. Lack of healing hurts Sith and now that Yoda can go tenacity up all the Dooku / Sid / Vader negative effects are out the window. That just makes it about damage and those 3 don't do high damage - Maul does, but the Jedi kill him really fast.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »

Yeah buff is probably wrong word - I think he'd need a complete re-work. I think they made him such an imbalanced character that just buffing his health / speed a material amount would be risky because they put such a high end ability on his offensive kit. The meter gain / offense up / heal is great when it's rolling. For that reason, I think he's probably stuck as is for good with this imbalanced skill set. He's really great late in the match as a finisher when deaths start accumulating and damage his been dealt, but with such low health he's at very high risk of not actually making it to the finishing phase of the matchup to execute his skills.

I wish he wasn't so reliant on a taunt as well - he's a top tier character, he shouldn't NEED a caddy. I tried him multiple times across multiple GWs vs. Jedi in an all Sith team - no RG for example, and he just got the snot beat out of him by a Jinn led Jedi squad - Jinn, Yoda, Eeth, Lumi, Old Ben, JKA, Aayla, Kit, etc. Ran Maul leader - 7* maxed, Dooku 7* maxed, Sid 7* maxed - Vader 5* maxed otherwise -and stuck in a maxed 7* GS since he's so good. Was just no contest vs. top end Jedi teams.

I know people here often say Jedi are underpowered, but if you took the Sith in this game and matched them vs. the top Jedi, the Jedi steamroll the Sith. Jedi just too diverse in skills. Lack of healing hurts Sith and now that Yoda can go tenacity up all the Dooku / Sid / Vader negative effects are out the window. That just makes it about damage and those 3 don't do high damage - Maul does, but the Jedi kill him really fast.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the Devs did a serious disservice to themselves simply because they've effectively backed themselves into a corner with Maul in his current design. Without being reworked virtually from the ground up he'll either remain largely irrelevant, in the current meta, or with any increase to speed and hp seriously overpowered.
  • Skitha81
    85 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well I've been using maul from day one mine is maxed out right now, but he is both reason I win and lose in arena. I set my team To protect him, I must say he is my top 3 fav character for sure after Sid n Darka
  • Options
    @nonemo
    May I ask what team u r using? Would like to know what other toons is viable in current meta :)
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    @nonemo
    May I ask what team u r using? Would like to know what other toons is viable in current meta :)

I experiment a lot. Had a good run with Phasma, Kylo, Old Ben, Fives and Dooku. Then I changed it up to Barriss, RG, QGJ, Dooku and old Ben. But old Ben really didn't work in that team so I replaced him with Fisto. Then I started experimenting with Fisto's tenacity up skill. It's nice. But I'll probably try it with Yoda instead once he's 7* after next event hopefully.

My next project is to finish a Clone team with 6* Rex as leader. I've had some amazing results there already.
  • Options
    No character that hits as hard as maul does with the ability to get 100% turn meter on a finishing blow needs to get buffed. If your complaint is that he's too slow or not enough health then you clearly don't know how to use him right and that's your problem, not the developers.
  • Options
    No character that hits as hard as maul does with the ability to get 100% turn meter on a finishing blow needs to get buffed. If your complaint is that he's too slow or not enough health then you clearly don't know how to use him right and that's your problem, not the developers.

I totally agree with you man. Maul is strong character as he is. You just dont know how to use him.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    xJazzx wrote: »

Also, I'll vehemently refute that Maul would in a typical scenario get one shotted by the team I battle in the clip. Using RG is a very good way to keep your team alive.

Maul can be one-shot/assisted killed by 3 maxed fast folks such as QGJ GS or Rey.

However he also has a small of going right after the fastest QGJ with his assist. That chance is very small though.

RG won't be able to protect him unless Maul dodges one part of the assist.

Yup, true. This goes for about half the toons in the game btw... So I don't see the point.

Well, not really. A lot of chars have more health than Maul (nearly all of them...), some csn survive an attack+assist from QGJ, and some are fast enough that only QGJ can kill them before they act, so adding Dooku to stun enemy QGJ allow them to act.

Maul is so slow that he would die to IG86 too. Or Rey, or FOTP, or Resistsnce Pilot, or just a pile on from Lumi, Sid, JC and Poggle. Or s bunch of ewok scouts.

He can go on a killing rsmoage if called early by QGJ or GS, and that's it. Beyond that, he is difficult to use because he is both one of the slower and one of the squisiers chars in the game
  • Options
    I have him level 65, gear 9. I love his hp, but he is the games #1 glass cannon. I'm not saying jack his health, but a small amount would make him arena worthy.
  • Options
    I don't think he needs a buff but it would be nice if he was farmable, even on hard nodes. Mine's staying at 4* unless that changes.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    If he got more hp....then everyone would have him lol
  • Options
    He doesn't need any HP. And his leader abilities are good with an all Sith team. His jaw is fragile. If I put him in arena, he usually doesn't get off a shot.
  • Options
    What about just giving him the Sid treatment and give him 35% dodge against Jedi? Now there is a good chance he survives QGJ +1 and at the least gives Jedi teams something to think about instead of guaranteed one-shotting. He's still anti-Jedi niche, but actually scary if you whiff.
  • Calus_78
    504 posts Member
    Options
    I think if he was able to gain his perk of a 100% turn meter after kill on a assist call from who ever would put him back in play
  • Options
    His unique ability should proc no matter who kills the enemy (this is how it's described, but it doesn't appear to ever proc unless Maul gets the kill), and he should get a small bump in speed and a moderate bump in hp or some base evade.

Oh, and I assume his leader skill is as nonfunctional as Old Ben's, so fix that too.

Then he would be fine. Anyone saying he is good "as-is" is either mistaken, or bitter that he is Chromium only. I doubt any good player (not just P2W Arena #1), who has a fully starred/leveled/geared Maul would say he is viable in Arena, which is the only challenging part of the game (everything else is easy once your roster is adequate).
  • Options
    Why in the world should Maul need to get buff if he gets killed by qgj and his assist? I can kill IG-88 , 86 Rey and 10 more tunes with that combo, and Maul has more power than they do. They all need buff as well? complete non sense.
  • Options
    Maul is terrible, he is to slow and is killed before ever being a threat, on top of that his damage is way less than FOTP, Rey, GS, even Qui beats him out.
    So slowest in the game, least health in the game, hits ok.
    Ya, he doesn't need a buff.
    You can all go to hell, me... I'll go to Texas
  • Options
    Videos that show heroes in optimal situations that don't present normal expected results are misleading. One would have a hard time cherry picking a more ideal situation to show Maul in. I've had 7* Maul a long time - let's show the many videos where the opposing QGJ goes first, assist on maul before he moves and he's gone in one shot. Maul's health is so low, he dies even if for example, Sid does AOE and then Lumi attacks him with her ability block. He makes Rey look like a tank.

You also have to consider that Jinn's assist means the character does +75% damage. This video way overstates his normal damage even vs. Jedi. So...proof that maul is good involves a video where he gets the following:

1. 100% bonus damage vs. Jedi
    2. 75% more damage from Jinn assist skill
    3. He crits - so 50% more damage after 1 & 2 above are applied
    4. He gets 100% meter on a killing blow enabling him to hit a second time early in the fight - key here because since he's so slow he's often dead before he moves - vs. comparable teams, I'd say close to 50% of the time he never moves.

Try running this setup and see how often this situation can be replicated where Maul is called to assist and gets a killing blow on the assist that results in him hitting twice very early in the fight.

Anyone that sees this video and builds Maul as a result of it is making a mistake. You'll be incredibly disappointed in Maul once he's built. These situations where Maul goes in superhero mode are maybe 1 in 20 or so. Everything has to line up right. Much more often your Maul will be dead before he even moves. Even if he does hit, his damage is only really strong vs. Jedi. Even then, it's nothing like what's in this video where he gets a crit + 75% more damage from Jinn's assist.

Im on the view that maul is fine as it stands. He needs no buff. People say he goes down in the first round but although he hits hard its usually preferential to take down other characters first. Way I see it is almost any character you focus on will go down in the first round.

I pulled him at 4* from a chromium. Unfortunately he's only level 1 and I won't be levelling him mainly as he's not farmable but I'll happily borrow him from an ally when he's available.
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Options
    Jedisplice wrote: »
    Maul is terrible, he is to slow and is killed before ever being a threat, on top of that his damage is way less than FOTP, Rey, GS, even Qui beats him out.

hits ok? you are out of your mind. His AOE hits like a truck and has chance to gain 100% turn meter.
    Ya, he doesn't need a buff. Fo Sho. Beat it
  • Alecation
    211 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

hits ok? you are out of your mind. His AOE hits like a truck and has chance to gain 100% turn meter.

100% turn meter with single target not aoe

and technically QGJ, GS, FOTP, Rey, and others all hit harder them him with their abilities
  • Alecation
    211 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    if he is so good why no one use him on PVP? lol get real people Maul sux for current meta

Ahsoka gets health with other jedi
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options

IG88 AOE hits generally harder. He gains TM with the single target only, and he does damage ves Jedi only. Rey would do as much damage vs a Jedi and double vs everybody else.

He has the chance to do a lot of fireworks if he chains s lot of attacks vs red health people, but like his brother's 99999 damage, it's firework is bigger than real effect
  • Options
    I'll just leave this video here. Just made it because of the discussions in the forums today. Seriously. Look at what can be done right from the initial turns in a battle with Maul as he is it's today.

https://youtu.be/DaCgYeyvQGY

Exactly

I just fought a 7* Darth Maul and decided to leave him up to see what his damage was. He wrecked ****

Considering the fact that a lot of people are running teams composed of 2-3 jedi right now, I would say he is pretty **** good.

I am now starting the nerf darth maul movement, though not really cause I am lazy.