How strict is your 0 damage rule? Looking for guidance.

jejuzang
710 posts Member
Our guild has a 0 damage rule for 24hrs like most guilds do for the raids. My question is, at what point do you kick someone for violating the 0 damage rule? I have only kicked people who have went over 1 million damage before the 24 hours have passed. We have the zero damage rule placed on both the guild description and archived at the top of the Guild chat. The excuse of not knowing the rule is getting very annoying and I feel as though people are purposely breaking the rule. Please share any advice you have 4 making it easier to manage this as well as ensure that people follow the rules more. Thanks.

Replies

• catharsis478
    676 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We give our under 85's FFA; any damage by an 85 is grounds for a talking-to (and forgiven as soon as they apologize or given reason for an honest mistake); but we'll usually boot after repeated warnings in guild chat and multiple offenses without acknowledgement, our guild likes a three-strike rule in general for that sort of thing. If they had done a significant amount of damage that might change.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    3 strikes.
    1- warning - no more damage, 0 damage next time a (possible addition, all raids)
    2- punishment - no more damage, no damage next raid (possible addition, all raids)
    3 - boot.

giving chances is always a good idea, sometime it takes time for people to get used to a system. but yes it also gives them chances to disappoint you. the best thing you can do is establish rules and have everyone follow them no exceptions.
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    Options
    Once everyone buys in its not too much of a problem. We have the occasional person who does it accidentally and they pretty much immediately post in chat what happened, I've done it myself with a fat finger press lol.

With new people we chase them down in chat and if they don't reply before the 24 hours 0 damage is over they are gone, but I'm also crazy and watching the latest activity screen like a hawk and posting in chat while watching them play so I know either they can't see the chat or they don't care and we don't want them
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    For us it 99% comes down to communication. We will call out the person in guild chat. If they own up, then no worries. If we don't hear anything (and they've never made a post) I will kick them the second time, assuming they don't have chat, don't understand english, or don't care. In any case they are not a good fit.

We've had even veterans make the occasional mistake, and they are easily overlooked. Never seen the use for the "punishment". Honestly the wrath of the guild is probably the best punishment.

Another helpful thing I do is in our guild description I included "please say hi, and ask for rules when joining." when I see someone join and they don't say hello, it's a good indicator of their ability to follow simple direction - which gives me an idea of how they will follow rules, TW/TB advice etc...
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member
    Options
    Are there any better ways to advertise the rule? All good advice everyone thanks!
  • Options
    0 dmg is 0. Not 1 and not 1mil. ;-)
    50 times 200k and the raid is done.
    Force the rule for 2 weeks, no exeptions what reasons ever.
    After that 2 weeks there will be no more 0dmg mistakes for ever.
    We did this step last year August, lost 2-3 members, but since then never had to talk about this anymore.
    Have a Raid-offi doing this for you and focus on important things ;-)
  • Options
    Errors happen. A long time ago, I got a new low level 7* character. Thought I would use him as my zero in Rancor. Found out after about 6 Pits that there is some slight chance of additional damage to all on the basic, something I didn't know about the character. I don't even know how he got a turn, no mods, real low abilities 2 or 3. I posted less than 1,000 damage. I apologized within a minute and never did it again.

If you have rules, stick to them. Guild chat improvements coming may help with people that need to be contacted.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    FolsomTony wrote: »
    Guild chat improvements coming may help with people that need to be contacted.

As you no doubt have guessed, I am very excited for this part. ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • The_boss_350
    152 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For us it is a zero damage rule but it’s is different, for people that cannot hit whatsoever so 2, we leave them to hit at the start(not even sure why they hit lol) but for other people it is a 0 24 hours rule exept, if you hit a 1000 or more by accident, no one is going to boot you, it is dumb to be that strict for a 1000. Our guild has a 3 strike policy. Our guild also has people in Europe(like me) so we are allowed to hit a few hours before, otherwise the 24 hours end at about midnight, and not everyone is awake at midnight…we are not very strict.
  • Options
    Very strict rule, hard and fast. Bad habits quickly devolve into chaos for the whole guild. 1M damage in the 24hr 0 period is not an accident, such members would not last long in our guild. But accidents can happen. One of our officers solo'd the Pit last week with only 3 members registering ... we did not boot him.

Most people will stick to the rules. If they don't, they have to go for the health of the guild.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Very strict rule, hard and fast. Bad habits quickly devolve into chaos for the whole guild. 1M damage in the 24hr 0 period is not an accident, such members would not last long in our guild. But accidents can happen. One of our officers solo'd the Pit last week with only 3 members registering ... we did not boot him.

Most people will stick to the rules. If they don't, they have to go for the health of the guild.

I did this last week. Our guild has a rule where you get kicked and invited back if it's a mistake. So, I booted myself and came back as per the rules. Lost out on TW and all 3 Raid rewards.
    Did I do it on purpose? Of course not. Should we have made an exception because it was an accident and there was so much going on? Absolutely not. The rules are only worth anything if they're followed to the letter by 100% of the guild. Otherwise things devolve into anarchy fairly quickly. Logging a 0 isn't hard. If you're not doing it, it's because you're either trying to get ahead of the rest of the guild, or you don't care enough about the guild to bother following rules. Either way, good-bye.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    Options

I did this last week. Our guild has a rule where you get kicked and invited back if it's a mistake. So, I booted myself and came back as per the rules. Lost out on TW and all 3 Raid rewards.
    Did I do it on purpose? Of course not. Should we have made an exception because it was an accident and there was so much going on? Absolutely not. The rules are only worth anything if they're followed to the letter by 100% of the guild. Otherwise things devolve into anarchy fairly quickly. Logging a 0 isn't hard. If you're not doing it, it's because you're either trying to get ahead of the rest of the guild, or you don't care enough about the guild to bother following rules. Either way, good-bye.

That might be a little too harsh IMO, although it depends on several factors not the least of which is the size of the transgression. I could see that for doing a solo or like a full phase but for an accidental button press that leads to less than 1k damage that's just too much for an established guild member with no history of infractions.

However to each his own every guild eventually finds their ideal balance. You may need to be super strict early to get everyone on board and eliminate the people that refuse to buy in to the system.
  • Options
    Our rules are if you hit early, you have to sit out the next raid, can't even post a 0. If you hit early 3 times in one month, you're booted. If you do enough damage to ruin the raid for everyone else, you sit out raids for two weeks but must stay active and do TW and TB. We put that last rule in place because someone was practicing a solo thinking he was in airplane mode but wasn't. Since we implemented that rule over a month ago, we've had no early hits at all. People pay more attention to what they're doing before they do it instead of messing up and begging for forgiveness.
  • darthjeary
    170 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I didnt read all the posts, but if someone hasnt mentioned yet, this problem will be gone with this weeks update. Officers now set a time to start the raid and everyone joins before that time goes off TW style.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    Our 0 damage isn't a strict 0, but that's we'd prefer honestly. However, nobody gets kicked for damage that can amount for a hit or 2 because we're an open guild and not everybody has 7* characters that aren't geared up and modded so something up to like 20k damage is overlooked. But any more than that represents an actual attempt instead of potentially unavoidable damage. If the person doesn't communicate with the guild about why they broke registration they will be booted.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    In one of my guilds our rules are:

Mistakes happen. If you by mistake do a bit of dmg instead of 0 in the pit, you sit the rest of the raid out. If you do a 'real' battle f.ex. soloing the whole thing before FFA begins, you are only allowed those zero dmg the next 5 pit raids.

In tank raids and sith raids we are more relaxed about it since ties rarely happen.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    You have to join raids now, just like TW, and when you do it posts a zero for you.

• Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »

That might be a little too harsh IMO, although it depends on several factors not the least of which is the size of the transgression. I could see that for doing a solo or like a full phase but for an accidental button press that leads to less than 1k damage that's just too much for an established guild member with no history of infractions.

However to each his own every guild eventually finds their ideal balance. You may need to be super strict early to get everyone on board and eliminate the people that refuse to buy in to the system.

Time zone differences and sudden **** syndrome caused me to solo it an hour early. It wasn't exactly an "Oops, I forgot Dooku counters, my bad!" (Which is, frankly, **** 9 times out of 10 anyway imho) so...
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    We had a newish member leave in a huff earlier in the week because we didn't boot someone who did ~3k damage in heroic Rancor an hour early.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    You have to join raids now, just like TW, and when you do it posts a zero for you.

Well, that solves the problem, then :—)

• YodaHeIs
    64 posts Member
    Options
    0 dmg is 0. Not 1 and not 1mil. ;-)

While i agree in principle, please be aware that 1 damage should be considered 0 damage. There is a glitch in the game (i experienced it myself) where, after the gamorean guard killed my lvl 1 Bohdi Rook as first action in the fight, the scoring screen reported 1 damage instead of 0.

So probably ask before booting a 1 damage poster.

• Options
    My guild any early hits (above 0 during the 0 hit phase) incure a 3 raid penalty of 0 posts only. So no more damage to the raid you hit early and then the next three raids of the same type as you hit early on you must post 0 or then it’s a talking to and or kick if those rules are not followed.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    We had a newish member leave in a huff earlier in the week because we didn't boot someone who did ~3k damage in heroic Rancor an hour early.

We had someone who hit the raids early multiple times. We booted and reinvited, which is what we do for multiple offenses when sitting out one raid is either not working or not being adhered too. They rejoined just long enough to complain, then left the guild.

It's easy to tell when someone isn't going to work out.
  • Options
    Darthpedro wrote: »

Time zone differences and sudden **** syndrome caused me to solo it an hour early. It wasn't exactly an "Oops, I forgot Dooku counters, my bad!" (Which is, frankly, **** 9 times out of 10 anyway imho) so...

On a side note. Because I didn't get any rewards from that TB, I got no rewards for the "skipped" one either.
    Ugh.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Options
    NOt that it matters anymore with the update but
    1- warning
    2- final warning
    3- boot