Ships 2.0 5/22/18 [Mega]

Replies

• Options
    @Muaddib I was trying to guess the GP of @capsular .
    Mine is well over 2x that. I'm on the side of the majority here.
  • Options
    VIR2L_One wrote: »
    I'm not saying that Ships 2.0 is the best update CG has ever come up with but after putting some thoughts in my attack strategy, fleet fights have become much faster and less RNG dependent for me. I do win >90% of my fleet arena fights including those against whales with twice my GP and nearly all ships and pilots maxed (including Geonosians). Prior to ships 2.0 I had to use all 5 attempts and sometimes buy a refresh to finish top 5. Now I'm #1 on payout consistently without having to buy a refresh. Yes, my shard may be younger but most of the relevant ships and pilots are 7* G11-12 within top 20.

3 vs 3 is of course far more RND dependent than 5 vs 5 if you rely on TL like everyone used to before the update. I can only repeat what Pseudot said, stop relying on TL mechanics if you don't like that sort of lottery. If I do lose a battle it usually was very bad luck with critical hits and not related to TL. I'm not eager to explain my whole strategy here but I'm using Executrix and do not use Boba as first reinforcement.

As I said to the other Ships 2.0 lovers who say it's so easy, prove it. Show us proof, guy with 1 post on these forums.....
  • Options
    Has anyone brought up why would they release 2.0 at all if the pve tables and everything else that is supposed to make this update "great" is not even ready or available?
    Because right now we see two things.
    1. 95% of the comments are people who do not like the update, especially those on older established shards.
    2. The ones who support and enjoy 2.0 are on younger shards and admittedly didnt play much with ships in 1.0 but for some reason can now beat everyone.

So........why?
  • Options
    It dawned on me today where there 10 seconds faster garbage comes from:
    Forfeiting out of frustration
    OR
    Getting chain critted so bad that I I get one on TFP & Vader (Biggs is already dead) before everything else dies and My Thrawn sits there with his hands crossed behind his back standing there ineptly with his constipation face.
    So yes the battles are faster, have a cookie.
    (And by cookie I mean the presents my neighbor’s dog leaves in my lawn.)
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
  • Whatelse73
    2182 posts Member
    Options
    capsular wrote: »
    Ships: 1,000,688.
    Characters: 1,240,472
    Muaddib wrote: »
    RNG plays such a ridiculous role in the outcome at this level with only the 3 starting ships. Honestly happy for you that it's not such a factor where you're at, but in my shard against all the other 385-415K ship squads it's huge and incredibly annoying. I just did two battles against the same guy... first one I crushed him, next one he crushed me. I never mind a tough battle, but when the fight is basically decided in the first 5 moves... that's frustrating and not fun win or lose.

How is this any different than arena? If you mess up in the first five moves against a Palpatine team, you're going to get turn-metered to death. Hell, if you mess up in the first 1-2 moves you're toast

I'll give you an example of the superbly fantastic RNG.

Today I tried to go up against someone that had equivalently leveled/geared pilots to mine. Even both of us had G12 Vaders. I got creamed by his team. When I looked at his mods, I saw multiple pilots with 4-dot mods, a couple even had 2-3 dot mods. His Biggs? Had a 4-dot AND a level 1 5-dot mod. That Biggs crit one of my ships better than one of my ATTACKER ships crit. (no he didn't have offense up, crit up, etc.) That's not me screwing up in the first, fifth, tenth move. That's the AI giving itself better odds, better crits, better debuff, better everything. The same AI that will skip cooldowns, reapply Biggs' taunt if you strip it with Tie Advanced's ability (yet mine never gets his back, how interesting), allows Slave I to basic attack other ships around a taunt, etc.

It isn't about strategy to find the right ships. I'm **** off because I see the AI doing whatever it wants and I have no recourse to that. I can't "magically" limit the AI's crit attacks to 3-4 in a match (like happens to my ships a lot). I can't make my Biggs (a tank) attack more powerful than the AI's attacker ships (that are hitting for 60-90K while mine are hitting for 30-maybe).

In arena, we came up with new strategies for the new METAs and were able to figure out how to beat new characters, new team builds, etc. Pretty much every team in my fleet shard's top 50 is the same front three, Biggs, Tie Adv, and Tie Fighter or FOTF. Occasionally there are others like Phantom and Ghost with Biggs, Tie Slicer, etc. (I mentioned somewhere, Phantom's AoE hit all 5 of my ships for 30K+ with its AoE attack. No, the crew weren't G12.) There are some Thrawns, but they are disappearing and more and more it is becoming Tarkin. So, where's the rock/paper/scissors they were talking about?

Maybe if they hadn't put the cart before the horse (Ships PVE Table) and waited until AFTER the ships table was released, things might've been different. Give us a couple weeks to play on the new table with the new 3 ship front and learn to work with it.

Even with youtubers you don't see much traffic about ships 2.0. There is some, but when Nest dropped we got like 20 videos in a day about them (even many from non-game changers) about Nest, how to use her, what teams to put her in, etc. Are there even 20 videos about ships 2.0 that talk about what to use? Especially videos that don't cover the Geonosians that are apparently the new power META? (I looked and no one in my top 50 is using the Geo team in their front 3 that I could find.)

Bottom line is, there is something wrong with ships 2.0. It seems to work fantastically for a select few. But there are those of us who are getting slaughtered by the AI one day, then the next winning 1-2, then getting slaughtered, then maybe winning 1, etc. I only have three ships, it ain't like I'm changing my tactics all that much.

• Jayne
    12 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do not enjoy ships 2.0 and all the complaints within this thread are valid and deserve to be taken seriously.

I have been a top 5 for about 8 months. Finish first about 90% of the time. Been facing the same top 20 opponents for most of that time.

Something I can add to the thread:
    Since 2.0 released, there are 2 opponents in my shard top 20 that I always, ALWAYS lose against them. All ships and stats are identical so of course it’s all about RNG. But the Battles are an amazing spectacle to experience just how much of a slaughter my ships take. I almost don’t get a turn. I can try 5 times in a row and it’s the same outcome.
    If I choose a different opponent that is identical in every way, I can beat them no problem most of the time.

So I Battle around those 2 opponents now since I have wasted so much time hoping RNG will favor me for once. I wish I would have counted how many times this has happened but an honest guess would be ~40 times.

@CG Something went very wrong with 2.0 please tell us you are at least taking our complaints seriously and maybe make an effort to experience it for yourself instead of looking at a data analysis.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    jjkriv wrote: »
    Ships 2.0 didnt refresh anything unless your on a new shard,try a different ship on my shard and your guaranteed to drop 30-40 spots because you instantly become a target Good luck climbing back up the ladder because the Target lock RNG is total garbage,i might win 1 match out of 5.CG is sucking the fun out of the game for day 1 players,I guess more money to make on noobs but day 1 players would chase the new shiny thing and spend money,not this guy anymore....

Read this people and reflect on how you look when you WHINE on the internet.
    Pseudot wrote: »
    jjkriv wrote: »
    Target lock RNG is total garbage,i might win 1 match out of 5..

Stop relying on the target lock mechanic. There are other ways to play now that work much better

Pseudot, I’m just gonna say this once: If you don’t tell me what other ways there are, how can I believe you? Also, if no one else knows your strategy then it’s probably not very effective.

And capsular, here’s the thing:
    There are definitely whiners here, but simply stating that there is less RNG, and target lock isn’t good anymore doesn’t make it a fact. I believe that the majority of the committed player base has agreed that RNG is much worse, and battle times are running longer. There are a few people such as NicWester who have given clear strategies that work for them, and that’s great. But in reality, people like you are in a lower shard (not to be condescending), and at rank 100, you can still run just about any team. The real complaints here are from experienced, #1-10 players in arena, with top of the line ships.
  • MD_Geist
    298 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    As I said to the other Ships 2.0 lovers who say it's so easy, prove it. Show us proof, guy with 1 post on these forums.....

Example Video Tutorial:
    Full Imperial Fleet crush the Meta

You can also watch other stuff with Ackbar + Geos, or Tarkin with Biggs, Sun Fac, TIE etc. online.
    2. The ones who support and enjoy 2.0 are on younger shards and admittedly didnt play much with ships in 1.0 but for some reason can now beat everyone.
    So........why?

Has nothing to do with younger shards...yes shards are different but overall if you look over the edge (and also try different stuff or brainstorm with other players from other shards about the about in something like "fleet discord" for theory) it will help you to understand how you get rid of Thrawn-Biggs-TL-RNG Meta or at least how you can beat it easily on top level.

Most players simply aren't inventors, the look at their shard and see "oh everyone still runs thrawn, biggs and TIEs" and copy it. That are also the ships that most players have ready (read geared crew) and stuff like biggs ship is still strong, even stronger since 3vs3 means less attackers and all attackers need a bunch of omegas to get back all the strong upgrades like 15+30% so it will take a while and currently tanks are better. It will be better once CG give us more omega and reinforcement ressources and players think outside of the box and try different lineups too.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote:

I don't consider myself as a Ships 2.0 lover even though it has saved me some time and increased my average daily crystal income by ~100. There are a lot of things that have gotten worse like ship battles in late LSTB phases or ship challenges for players with younger accounts that haven't beaten all the last tiers nor 6 or 7*ed all capitol ships.

I'm not a game changer who earns money with posting strategies, why should I put my current advantage at risk? And it seems that there are several viable strategies. NicWester wrote that he benched Tie Pilot whereas my strategy relies on him (but not because of his chance to inflict TL). My strategy works best with Tarkin whereas others are using AA, etc.

And for the record, TL is not garbage. There are enough ways to inflict TL with no RNG involved.
  • jedilord
    338 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    MD_Geist wrote: »
    Example Video Tutorial:

wow, thanks for the video... looks cool... but what opponents do you have? swgoh.gg says:
    Gauntlet: Speed 154(54)
    Imperial Tie Fighter: Speed 194(61)

Why is your Gauntlet the first one? and isn´t your tactic not also RNG depended? if the debuff doesn´t stick on biggs it will be hard to win, isn´t it? and if everyone runs that fleet the one who doesn´t get the debuff on biggs will loose, or if both get it on biggs, the one who is first (RNG) wins -> coinflip
  • MD_Geist
    298 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jedilord wrote: »
    MD_Geist wrote: »
    Example Video Tutorial:

wow, thanks for the video... looks cool... but what opponents do you have? swgoh.gg says:
    Gauntlet: Speed 154(54)
    Imperial Tie Fighter: Speed 194(61)

Why is your Gauntlet the first one? and isn´t your tactic not also RNG depended? if the debuff doesn´t stick on biggs it will be hard to win, isn´t it? and if everyone runs that fleet the one who doesn´t get the debuff on biggs will loose, or if both get it on biggs, the one who is first (RNG) wins -> coinflip

My Gauntlet has that omega speed bonus which means +50 (+20 and +30 for 2 empire ships), mine has 152 base speed which leads to 202 which is easily the fastest ship around (maxed Poe get 196). On attack (as i wrote i now can auto it) if you play it by yourself you start with Buff Immunity on biggs (nearly "always") and its over. AI will not do it on defense but AI for all ships/fleets is weird on defense so you cant count on it. As shown in the video beating every current meta fleet lineup in 60-90sec without too worry about rng (it will also work in rare cases if BI dont land on biggs) is worth it for me.

• Options
    CG could have fixed most of these coin-flip issues by either allowing you to mod ships themselves or by letting the added speed via mods on the pilots to carry over. There would be much less RNG.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    CG could have fixed most of these coin-flip issues by either allowing you to mod ships themselves or by letting the added speed via mods on the pilots to carry over. There would be much less RNG.

Make speed mods even more necessary than they already are? Sounds like a great solution.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • EyeG_80ate
    104 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

That's the AI giving itself better odds, better crits, better debuff, better everything. The same AI that will skip cooldowns, reapply Biggs' taunt if you strip it with Tie Advanced's ability (yet mine never gets his back, how interesting), allows Slave I to basic attack other ships around a taunt, etc.

I keep seeing this assertion from you (and maybe others, I don't remember). Biggs gets taunt back whenever Vader applies Target Lock, which happens anytime a TL expires. You may not have noticed it happening for you before, but it almost certainly has. Alternatively, you kill off the TL ships quickly enough that it doesn't get reapplied. If you strip TM from Biggs to remove taunt, you are cycling through your Vader's turns quickly (normally gets 100 TM from that ability or close to it). Odds are high that he is going to be TL in the opening barrage (I know mine often is).

I haven't experienced any of these other phenomena that you mention (or at least haven't noticed them), so I do not have an explanation for them, but, in my experience, most things are pretty explainable if you look through ship skills. (You may have forgotten something/stuff may have changed with 2.0 that you aren't accounting for).
  • Options
    EyeG_80ate wrote: »

That's the AI giving itself better odds, better crits, better debuff, better everything. The same AI that will skip cooldowns, reapply Biggs' taunt if you strip it with Tie Advanced's ability (yet mine never gets his back, how interesting), allows Slave I to basic attack other ships around a taunt, etc.

I keep seeing this assertion from you (and maybe others, I don't remember). Biggs gets taunt back whenever Vader applies Target Lock, which happens anytime a TL expires. You may not have noticed it happening for you before, but it almost certainly has. Alternatively, you kill off the TL ships quickly enough that it doesn't get reapplied. If you strip TM from Biggs to remove taunt, you are cycling through your Vader's turns quickly (normally gets 100 TM from that ability or close to it). Odds are high that he is going to be TL in the opening barrage (I know mine often is).

I haven't experienced any of these other phenomena that you mention (or at least haven't noticed them), so I do not have an explanation for them, but, in my experience, most things are pretty explainable if you look through ship skills. (You may have forgotten something/stuff may have changed with 2.0 that you aren't accounting for).

As much as I dislike Ships 2.0 - this ^
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Make speed mods even more necessary than they already are? Sounds like a great solution.

Most people prefer strategy to RNG, Nic. As it is, if you have a 6* Thrawn and go vs. a 7* Thrawn, you are ALWAYS slower and will almost always lose.

Maybe you prefer it that way, but most don't.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    And capsular, here’s the thing: There are definitely whiners here, but simply stating that there is less RNG, and target lock isn’t good anymore doesn’t make it a fact.

I did not state that target lock isn't good anymore and of course there is RNG, but there is LESS RNG because there are LESS ships to contribute to RNG generation.
    I believe that the majority of the committed player base has agreed that RNG is much worse, and battle times are running longer.

I disagree with this. If you know the mechanics of the ships, these battles last anywhere from thirty seconds to one minute.
    There are a few people such as NicWester who have given clear strategies that work for them, and that’s great. But in reality, people like you are in a lower shard (not to be condescending), and at rank 100, you can still run just about any team.

Where are you imagining these things from? Rank 100? I place in the top 10 every single day. I go up against 7* capital ships featuring fully geared and modded characters with their zetas. I 100% can NOT run just about any team and if I make any wrong moves, I get wiped out from the enemy team.
    The real complaints here are from experienced, #1-10 players in arena, with top of the line ships.

That's incorrect because I am one of those players and I am not complaining--I spent my time figuring out the battle system and putting what I learned to use.

Wow wow wow, you’re first post boasted NO RNG. It’s too late to change that now.

You said yourself that you’re in a younger shard, and when you played for your brother who’s experienced, you placed him rank 100. (Your own words) This certainly does not make you a committed and experienced player. (Again, really trying not to be condescending here, don’t hate me)

And although battles may be faster for you, the MAJORITY of the player base, (represented by these 50 some pages), agrees that arena battles are running longer.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Every day that goes bye is making me like 2.0 less and less... I was originally a fan be it the freshness or shiny new stuff but yeah....that's worn off

Maybe when the table drops it will be different but it's starting to stink

• Dark_Light
    499 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I believe that the majority of the committed player base has agreed that RNG is much worse, and battle times are running longer.
    I disagree with this. If you know the mechanics of the ships, these battles last anywhere from thirty seconds to one minute.

It doesn’t matter if you disagree,the proof is in these 50 something pages, that’s like someone stating a fact and someone else just saying “well I disagree”.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Judging anything by internet response is hardly valid.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    Options
    Ships 2.0 is fine by itself. The fact that ships that were really hard to get and gave a massive advantage to those who got them got overhauled and ships no one really bothered with got buffed I think is what upset people. I decked out my FOTP and even threw a zeta on him just to make him as powerful as possible for ships, now I suddenly find myself not using him at all and that sucks. With that said a lot of ships now do extremely well just based on their abilities. Take the 2 rouge 1 ships for example. Even with semi geared pilots they are devestating. I think in the long run ships 2.0 will be better and will provide more options to players, I think the massive overhaul and what feels like a drop in power is what has players concerned as its a fairly hard pill to swallow that they will change a character completely a year after they put it into affect. Tie reaper was a must have in the old meta. Early into 2.0 Vader and Biggs both feel like must haves, but that could easily change with the upcoming releases. I for one have adjusted my line up several times and am now pleased with my easy wins and defensive wins in a day 1 shard, but i also had every ship but 3 maxed out (not including most pilots) so it didn't set me back as much as those who focused up 5 and left the rest by the wayside.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    anyone notice sunfac's taunt not triggering when boba fett comes in as a reinformcemtn... that's really really life tilting
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Very close to walking away from this game for poor redesign, terrible customer support and rapid decline in entertainment value. There is no rhyme or reason to the wild RNG and over Crit Chance and Dodge ability the AI is given. A Tarkin lead Vader on opening round used Vader’s special and then one shot my Phantom 2. Mind you this is Rank 20s and both fleets are well delveloped. Why does the AI always get to use Vader’s special and then immediately shoot where my Vader is turn based with nothing granting TM other than its a player controlling rather than a computer? No debuffs were applied to Phantom or any other ship.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Very close to walking away from this game for poor redesign, terrible customer support and rapid decline in entertainment value. There is no rhyme or reason to the wild RNG and over Crit Chance and Dodge ability the AI is given. A Tarkin lead Vader on opening round used Vader’s special and then one shot my Phantom 2. Mind you this is Rank 20s and both fleets are well delveloped. Why does the AI always get to use Vader’s special and then immediately shoot where my Vader is turn based with nothing granting TM other than its a player controlling rather than a computer? No debuffs were applied to Phantom or any other ship.

Well this is sudden
  • Options
    Has the developers commented on this? I've been playing this game for a year and a half. My shard is old and quite powerful. I had to invest early in ships and zetas for characters I would otherwise never have zeta'ed. I never enjoyed ships, but viewed it as a necessary evil to acquire crystals. I also spent a great deal of time farming Tie Reaper and finally got it to 7 stars just in time for CG to nerf it to death. You've made an aspect of the game that was already disliked hated by most of the whales which seems VERY dumb given your business model is predicated on getting whales to enjoy the game so much they feel compelled to spend the money that pays your salaries and allows all of the weaker players here the chance to play a good game for free.

This update makes no sense on a lot of levels. As many people have explained, ships are now far too RNG dependent. It used to be a bit of a pain, but now, you have guys with FAR less developed ships and pilots able to compete not through superior tactics, but because you've made the game more random. But people who play strategy games generally don't like randomness, so you've made the game more irksome for your biggest spenders. The sentiment in my fleet shard, in my arena shard and in my guild mirrors my own. For every 1 player who likes the update, 4-5 despise it among your most established players.

For this reason, this megathread is enormous with a lot of very seasoned players sharing their concerns. I've never posted before. I don't like everything you guys do, but I've never hated something you've done @CG_CMandellorian @CG_TopHat . I actually now dislike the fleet system so much that I'm losing interest in the rest of the game. If it isn't changed soon, I'm definitely quitting the game, and I know a lot of other top players who feel the same.