How does one get crazy secondary speed mods

Replies

• Options
    The solution is time and luck... My Thrawn has, with my best set of mods 318 speed, which is an addition of 156 to his base.
  • Options
    Cassius97 wrote: »
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    You get good mods, speed or otherwise, by paying for them.

Either with time, or with money.

However; you could buy a nearly $4 million gold Mod from the store that shows +3 speed at LVL 1 and yet it stays at +3 all the way to LVL 15. It's a total crepe-shoot.

Pure luck on how high it will go.

I've bought so many mods with speed secondaries from the mod store that only rolled speed once that I'm beginning to become one of those crazy conspiracy theorists. Mods are the most frustrating part of this game, IMO.

but yes, farm often, buy from mod store, and hope you get super lucky.

Well one speed bump is the most probably outcome so its not surprising you see it the most.

The chances of hitting 20+ is maybe 5% so if you upgraded 30 gold speed mods and didn't hit a single 20 it wouldn't be exceptionally unlucky.

I was surprised to validate your 5% estimate and that makes me feel really unlucky having played for 1.5 yrs with no mods 20+ speed secondaries. I did get a 19 speed one today though which felt good.

Back of the envelope math: The odds of rolling speed a minimum of 3 times = .25^3*.75*4 + .25^4 ~ 5.08%. The possibilities of 3 and 4 speed increases make the odds lower than 5% for getting a 20+ speed mod though. Just hope you're not like the one guy in the other post who started with 5 speed and then rolled 4 times for +3 speed each.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly, the answer is farm, upgrade and slice....continuously. 99.99999% of the time your reaction will be:

nph-dissapoint.gif

Then a couple of times in several years...

giphy.gif
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    enlguy wrote: »
    tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point

No.
    Rock doesn't beat sciccors no matter how much speed your rock has.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Focus on mod farming. It just takes time.

Roll the dice many times, eventually you will get yahtzee.

LOL Yahtzees are way easier to come.by.
  • Options
    Cassius97 wrote: »
    jjkriv wrote: »
    I faced someone in arena that had 2,TWO!! ..24 speed secondaries off speed primary,thats just crazy!

Farm them non stop.

Anyone with two 24 speed mods also had some major luck. Most Krakens don't have two mods with secondary speed that high.

I’ve got 9

• Options
    Take your blue mods and level them to 6. Take green mods and level them to 9, purples to level 3, golds at level 1.
    Take the ones with +5 speed to level 12. You're looking for additional speed procs. Blues have a chance of 2 additional speed modifiers (total of 3), purples have 3 additional, and golds have 4. (blues max at 15 speed, purples 20, golds 25. If they have slightly less, it just means you got a +3 or +4 instead of +5)
    If it rolled all speed in the leveling procs, slice the mod up to gold value.
    So a perfect mod that gained maximum additional speed is something like +30 speed secondary at T6. At least that is my understanding.
    That's the process. Its down to luck, which means for most people its down to how many times you've tried.
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    You have to send in a jedi sacrifice to the rancor immediately before leveling your mod.
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »
    tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point

No.

I'm pretty sure rock beats scissors, regardless of scissors speed, unless your scissors are cutco scissors and able to cut rocks in half. (And that is not strictly true with all comps of rock vs scissors - a scissor with double the speed of a rock can beat that rock for many of the "rock" teams in the game, but probably not revan or traya if that is the rock team).

• Options
    Fanatic wrote: »

No.

I'm pretty sure rock beats scissors, regardless of scissors speed, unless your scissors are cutco scissors and able to cut rocks in half. (And that is not strictly true with all comps of rock vs scissors - a scissor with double the speed of a rock can beat that rock for many of the "rock" teams in the game, but probably not revan or traya if that is the rock team).

But does rock beat sciccors though? You havent addressed that point.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

No.

If engines like Poe or FOO or Boba or Zam or Vader or Sith Assasin or Nest get to go first, a far lesser team can easily beat a far greater gear team. In the case of Poe or Vader you may never get to move at all. Speed is not the only important stat, but at least right now it is the most important stat.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »

No.

If engines like Poe or FOO or Boba or Zam or Vader or Sith Assasin or Nest get to go first, a far lesser team can easily beat a far greater gear team. In the case of Poe or Vader you may never get to move at all. Speed is not the only important stat, but at least right now it is the most important stat.

That last sentence has applied to every aspect of this game for the past 3+ years.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Luck.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Luck.

It’s not luck. I spent hundreds of millions of credits and ship currency on mods that didn’t level speed and got a couple dozen gems in the group.

You have to throw resources at it until the percentages work out in your favor.
  • Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Luck.

It’s not luck. I spent hundreds of millions of credits and ship currency on mods that didn’t level speed and got a couple dozen gems in the group.

Which is what luck is.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    until the percentages work out in your favor.

This is also known as "luck."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

Luck is getting a 25 speed secondary on your 1st, 5th or 10th mod. Not on your 500th purchase of a 3.91m credit mod from the store.

I’m saying the answer to the original question is to invest tons of resources into mod farming.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

Luck is getting a 25 speed secondary on your 1st, 5th or 10th mod. Not on your 500th purchase of a 3.91m credit mod from the store.

I’m saying the answer to the original question is to invest tons of resources into mod farming.

I mean you're not wrong, I was just saying luck is the ultimate deciding factor. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, of course, but even if you buy a million tickets you can still lose.

Case in point, I've been pretty steadily farming and slicing mods for 6 months and I still have yet to acquire a single mod with over 20 speed. I think my highest is an 18.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

That’s the answer. I got to 57 20+ by sheer volume of purchases and the percentages working out over time. Luck would be someone hitting a substantially higher percent than the actual numbers are.

• BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

I mean you're not wrong, I was just saying luck is the ultimate deciding factor. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, of course, but even if you buy a million tickets you can still lose.

Case in point, I've been pretty steadily farming and slicing mods for 6 months and I still have yet to acquire a single mod with over 20 speed. I think my highest is an 18.

Just to relay my case in point - I spent almost every single credit and ship currency I earned for probably 18 months on mods with speed secondaries from the mod store. I have somewhere around 125 mods at > 15 and probably 15 at > 20.
  • Options

Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me. People will catch a hot streak and attribute luck when it’s really the probabilities playing out over time with the proper number of exposures.

• Options
    mlb1399 wrote: »
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me. People will catch a hot streak and attribute luck when it’s really the probabilities playing out over time with the proper number of exposures.

No matter how you put it, it's luck. I have since mods came out focused on them. I have not been lucky enough to get any over 22. You have not had many people spend more time on mods than I do. It's luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

No matter what you think your math doesn't jold up if it dores show me the math.
  • Options
    No matter how many times you write, "It's Luck.", it's still statistics and probability.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me.

Dude, I've seen you reply to a bunch of threads now and it seems like your main reason for posting is to flex. Yeah, we all get it, you have a nice roster. Well done.

Once again, I'm not saying that buying and slicing more mods doesn't improve your chances of getting better ones; obviously that is true. All I'm saying is that ultimately it comes down to luck, or probability, or whatever you want to call it, because no matter how many you buy or slice, there's always a chance that you won't roll speed.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    jjkriv wrote: »
    I faced someone in arena that had 2,TWO!! ..24 speed secondaries off speed primary,thats just crazy!

Farm farm farm and hope for good luck.

uaskr821gg2n.jpeg

• Options
    Sorry for the necro, but I feel this is an appropriate thread to raise the discussion, and is the most recent thread that holds perfect relevance.
    Doesn't that mean the top 200 or so in Arena got there based purely on luck? I can't say I appreciate that so much is luck-based. I mean, I guess there is always the RNJesus to play you on defense, but ... as I look through top ranks in my shard, they are effectively teams I am very close to forming (add one gear level, or even just a couple pieces), but the speed mods on them are crazy. So to win at arena, you do all I've done, then just pray for mod luck and nothing more to climb to the higher ranks, nothing to do with strategy or character building anymore? Seems kind of ****. Granted I have a little more gearing to do, but I am about stalled out at 500 in my arena shard, I figure once I G12 everyone, I can near the 200 mark, but from there, it's PURE LUCK on mods. Even now, I count my own luck as I take on teams that are all G12 zetas, where I'm a little short of that, but I have some really decent speed on my Thrawn, TFP, and Vader, and tend to be able to fracture and ability block, then comes EP with the stun, before they can do too much. ONLY time I lose if I'm outspeeded or get horrible RNGon those near mirror matches. I can wipe out most nightsister teams without bad RNG. Bastila with a G12 crew is about where I slow down. And this is at 500! If there is a better place for this, or it's worth starting a new thread on this, feel free to kindly suggest it, but as this thread discussed all the luck involved with speed, and speed wins matches so much of the time, I thought it fit here well enough.

Maybe I'm just having a mid-game crisis, but about six months ago I started focusing more on Arena, and moved from around 1800 to 500. I haven't gotten the sub-500 rewards yet, I tend to fall to around 600 on defense, but I'm getting close enough to taste that next tier, and am trying to determine at what point Arena rankings are just more end game, and what is luck, and does strategy and character building really just go out the window at a certain point? Thoughts?

tl;dr: Are Arena rankings, based so much on speed, really just luck at a certain point, and what level ranking do you think that begins at?

The problem is not your mods. Your problem is you’re stuck in a rut. No reason you can’t get to 100 except you choosing to not do it.
    By that I mean: save up a lot of crystals, and pay for Arena refreshes for 3 days in a row. 20 battles per day. You should be able to get to 100.

But the other problem is probably your team. You mention Vader, TFP and Thrawn. Who’s the rest of your team? If you’re using Vader or Thrawn as lead: that’s your other problem. I would attack a Vader lead 6 ways to Sunday. Mods on that team would not matter to me. Even outmoded and outgeared most people can destroy that team.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

No matter how you put it, it's luck. I have since mods came out focused on them. I have not been lucky enough to get any over 22. You have not had many people spend more time on mods than I do. It's luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

It's Luck.

No matter what you think your math doesn't jold up if it dores show me the math.

Each 20+ mod takes about $400-$600. How much have you spent on them? Base farming didnt work well prior to slicing.
  • Options
    Luck.

Which is what luck is.

It sthe law of large numbers. While you’ve spent some resources on mods maybe not to the extent of the ohher poster and definitely me.

Dude, I've seen you reply to a bunch of threads now and it seems like your main reason for posting is to flex. Yeah, we all get it, you have a nice roster. Well done.

Once again, I'm not saying that buying and slicing more mods doesn't improve your chances of getting better ones; obviously that is true. All I'm saying is that ultimately it comes down to luck, or probability, or whatever you want to call it, because no matter how many you buy or slice, there's always a chance that you won't roll speed.

My point wasn’t to flex. It’s that probabilities are probabilities. In order for those numbers to play out, you have to use the law of large numbers. My point is that I literally had to spend my way there. People always think I’m lucky with mods but they dont see the credit card bill.
  • Options
    And I can’t believe I’m reading an argument over percentages and luck.
    You play the percentages, and are lucky when you roll speed.
    When you play the percentages and don’t roll speed, it’s unlucky.
    They are not opposites, nor mutually exclusive.

But back on topic...
    I don’t even buy mods from the store anymore. Farm, farm, farm, farm, farm. Sell 99% of them. Repeat.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.