[Mega] An Ancient Journey of Redemption

Replies

• ColonelTravis
    365 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Warp3dM1nd wrote: »
    [

Your right tho. SuperCell and Clash one of the highest grossing games stated in a report that the largest part of their income comes from millions making a $20 purchase here and there. The whales and krakens only made up about 5% of their gross game income.

It is the same with this game and every other game. The whales are allowed to think they are what keeps the lights on and the game running which couldn't be further from the truth. This is across the whole freemium game community. SC wasnt the only one to release reports about the biggest majority's of their income is from the 99% and not the 1%. The only reason the myth is allowed to continue is so whales and krakens can feel superior in some way.

Huh? Where are you getting this?

Regarding mobile games in general, I've seen a study that says 48% of all revenues come from a mere 0.19% of all players. Another that says the top 10 percent of an app’s spenders being responsible for 70 percent of its revenue from in-app purchases, and 59 percent of its total revenue.
  • Warp3dM1nd wrote: »
    [

Your right tho. SuperCell and Clash one of the highest grossing games stated in a report that the largest part of their income comes from millions making a $20 purchase here and there. The whales and krakens only made up about 5% of their gross game income.

It is the same with this game and every other game. The whales are allowed to think they are what keeps the lights on and the game running which couldn't be further from the truth. This is across the whole freemium game community. SC wasnt the only one to release reports about the biggest majority's of their income is from the 99% and not the 1%. The only reason the myth is allowed to continue is so whales and krakens can feel superior in some way.

Huh? Where are you getting this?

Regarding mobile games in general, I've seen a study that says 48% of all revenues come from a mere 0.19% of all players. Another that says the top 10 percent of an app’s spenders being responsible for 70 percent of its revenue from in-app purchases, and 59 percent of its total revenue.

From SuperCell who has one of the top grossing games of all times over the lifetime of their game not one since month that the report you pointed for reference. Maybe the little games have the biggest part of their income from whales but the top grossing games that is far from the case.

You cant very well use a report that a does a one month analysis and call false when im talking about over the life time of a game. It says that in that month only 1.9% of gamers actually spend money which would mean that 49% of which is only 1.9% of the gamers would have to be spending billions on the game in SuperCells case. Here it would have to be 6 million plus out of just 1.9% percent of the gamers according to what that article alleges.

Im sorry but the math seems to be off not to mention they don't list the games the data is pulled from. Im sure some of smaller freemium games derive a solid bit of income from whales when they have a player base of 200k. There is no sources listed to show where they got the info from like a true paper would have to have. This I know for a fact because my teaches business and English at the university level. So that really doesn't refute what I'm saying. Sure whales spend alot of money but once they have all they want the don't spend regularly anymore except for here and there. The minnows, guppies, occasionally twice or three times a month buyers plus others are a steady source of income.

Maybe that was why the **** release of Chewie and Revan to get the whales to hopefully panic farm just a theory. Im basing my knowledge off a billion dollar company who was at the top for years who stated what they stated. Companies like SC doesn't need some analysis company to help them because they did just fine as one of the revenue generators of all time so ill tend to rake their word of somebody else.

• Boov
    604 posts Member
    Do you have a link or something to that statement made by SC @Warp3dM1nd ?
    As for the math, why does it seem off to you? Or better yet, what math?
    supercell had a revenue of roughly 2B in 2016 and 2017 (quick google search) across 4 games with a playerbase of rougly 100mil players. https://www.reuters.com/article/supercell-results/update-1-gaming-firm-supercell-2017-profit-drops-as-clash-of-clans-sales-cool-idUSL8N1Q43HO
    from the article @ColonelTravis posted:
    Apparently things have got a little ‘better’. Sure, a full 48% of revenue still
    derives from the top 10% of payers, but that’s a little down on previous trends.
    To add context to that number, if we express that group as a % of total players,
    they still represent a mere 0.19% of that group. In other words, over 48% of all
    revenues come from a mere 0.19% of all players!
    So that's ~1B generated by 0.19% of the total players. That's rougly $5250 on average per player by 190.000 players (0.19%). This seems plausible to me.
    I do believe the numbers are a bit skewed and they said so themselves in the article:
    The report is restricted to a single month of data (February 2016), providing a snapshot of how mobile gamers monetize. It is not intended to show lifetime values.
    If 0.19% of all players account for 10% of all payers, it implies that only 1.9% of all players are payers, but the numbers only consider players who've made a purchase that specific month a payer. So in reality there are more paying players than just 1.9% of all players and that 0.19% of all players is only responsible for 48% of all revenue for that specific month. So yea, can't really base any conclusions on that article as far as what procentage of players/payers is responsible for what percentage of the total yearly revenue. It does however give an indication..
    Anyway, curious to see your sources. I'm not going to take the word of a random internet stranger claiming that the bulk of the revenue in freemium games is generated by the casual spender, or atleast in a highly successfull freemium game like clash of clans, and not by whales as is commonly believed.
  • Carth Onasi and Juhani incoming!!
  • Carth Onasi and Juhani incoming!!

Nice necro of a thread that went dead for 3 weeks