Nikoms565 wrote: »
    dimi4a wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure it's much easier to get to the top in ships versus fleet in most shards.

It's only easier if you have farmed/geared the ships that CG has manipulated into the meta....this month. Whatevs. They'll "force-change" (i.e. directly manipulate) the meta again in the future. It's what they do. Why build balance and reward loyalty when you can simply change the rules of the game whenever you need money?

THAT is why I no longer refresh fleet arena.

Same thing they do in squad. Yet no one is making posts about why they don't refresh squad.

There are 3 reasons it's different in fleet:

1) Farming and leveling ships is a bigger drain on resources because you not only have to farm/level the ship, you also have to farm/level/gear the pilot(s) as well.

2) Ships are really only their own "thing" - most players/guilds can do fine in TB/TW with the ships they already have leveled because they only have to really be able to field 1 fleet for offense and 1 for defense. Characters, by contrast are used in a myriad of events, raids and game modes - and often in different ways (faction-specific, LS/DS, specific groups, etc.). Ships (thankfully, now) are just a tiny part of the overall game.

3) CG didn't just release new ships in 2.0 to manipulate the meta. They completely changed the entire way the game mode works and completely changed the functionality and abilities of ALL of the ships.

Honestly, with the way they've ruined ships, I hope they ignore it....the way they didfor the first 18 months after they released it in the first place.

Well i cannot fathom them putting in the time money manhours in totally redesigning everything about ships just to let it sit and fester with occasional marquee...

Would be like hiring a crew of men and a bulldozer to knock down a tree you could cut down with a 50 dollar chainsaw

Basitla, etc.

Sorry, ships is a failed add on, imho. 2.0 only made it worse - and more obviously so.

The ONLY thing I guess i'm not liking about 2.0 is boba fetts doom bomb special...I would love to see the data about how many times it's been used since 2.0 in Arena..I know some people will post I USE IT everytime !!!! but honestly that skill is deeeeaaadd.

Only time I think it's used is in smugglers run.. maybe on the ship table battles..

It used to be so fun clicking that button heh even more fun under ackbar... I guess it's prob still a viable strategy on new shards as long as boba is not a reinforcement

I think I'm just dreaming back to the glory days of ships...try to keep him alive for 3 minutes then bam...double doom bomb yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Walter Sobchak....livin' in the past

I don't get to it often but probably because i have boba in reinforcements and rarely call him. And I win or lose by that point. I do call fives in a lot. Spread tl with vader and tf while ht tanks. Then call in fives for massive aoe. Basically same effect as boba but less cd.

I also occasionally get to tarkin's ultimate before te battle ends. That can still save you if you get bad rng and get behind. If you can hang on that long that is.

Recovering from bad RNG with 5 vs 5 was one thing, recovering from bad RNG with 3 vs 3 is something else!

It can be difficult but I usually can recover about half the time when it starts out bad.

But that's the point - a coin flip? Based on RNG or a "2% dodge"? Yeah, no thanks. At least in 5 v 5 it was closer to 80% or so to overcome a bad RNG at the beginning. Now, not even close.

I'm just curious - at what point in the development meeting did someone say "How about MORE randomness in fleet battles?? The players will REALLY love that!". It's like they don't care about the players' experience....oh...wait.

I think you miss my point. I can recover half the time when rng sucks and I lose a ship early. I don't lose a ship early that often because I use ships to prevent that from happening. But depends on the team you face. But it's not just rng. If you have good ships you'll be able to win most of the time. Unless you opponent has better ships.
  • Options
    I like when people are mad because they're losing.

Meanwhile I just kept working on my ships, including ones that I never would have touched in 1.0 or didn't exist in 1.0, and ones that don't rely on RNG.

But keep complaining about RNG and Ships 2.0, whatever works best for you I guess.

Except I'm not losing. I can still easily finish at the top of squad arena if I want and when I did bother refreshing ships, could make top 10, no problem. It's just not fun anymore - especially when CG will just manipulate the ship meta again when they need more money.

And I'm not mad - just disappointed, as the game is, at it's core, a very good game. Until August of 2017, it was outstanding. Then CG made some changes in personnel...and here we are. Ships 2.0, TW a joke (thanks to matchups and crazy buffs), arena timeout teams back, and HSith Raid rewards that frustrate 80% of the guild. If you think those are "improvements" then, whatever works best for you I guess.

The ship meta changes slower than regular arena. Yes, they introduced new ships but other than adding ht as a tank, I did little to change my lineup from the same one I used in ships 1.0 and have maintained top 10 easily. I skipped geos because it wasn't worth the effort.
  • Options

The ship meta changes slower than regular arena. Yes, they introduced new ships but other than adding ht as a tank, I did little to change my lineup from the same one I used in ships 1.0 and have maintained top 10 easily. I skipped geos because it wasn't worth the effort.

It hasn't even really changed that drastically - a lot of the old guard ships are still used regularly - Vader, Biggs, Silencer, Boba. Some people are starting to switch to Houndstooth, but it's just another variation of Biggs. Not the unstoppable monster some portray it to be. I actually prefer it to Biggs, since it's easier to ignore.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    dimi4a wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure it's much easier to get to the top in ships versus fleet in most shards.

It's only easier if you have farmed/geared the ships that CG has manipulated into the meta....this month. Whatevs. They'll "force-change" (i.e. directly manipulate) the meta again in the future. It's what they do. Why build balance and reward loyalty when you can simply change the rules of the game whenever you need money?

THAT is why I no longer refresh fleet arena.

Same thing they do in squad. Yet no one is making posts about why they don't refresh squad.

There are 3 reasons it's different in fleet:

1) Farming and leveling ships is a bigger drain on resources because you not only have to farm/level the ship, you also have to farm/level/gear the pilot(s) as well.

2) Ships are really only their own "thing" - most players/guilds can do fine in TB/TW with the ships they already have leveled because they only have to really be able to field 1 fleet for offense and 1 for defense. Characters, by contrast are used in a myriad of events, raids and game modes - and often in different ways (faction-specific, LS/DS, specific groups, etc.). Ships (thankfully, now) are just a tiny part of the overall game.

3) CG didn't just release new ships in 2.0 to manipulate the meta. They completely changed the entire way the game mode works and completely changed the functionality and abilities of ALL of the ships.

Honestly, with the way they've ruined ships, I hope they ignore it....the way they didfor the first 18 months after they released it in the first place.

Well i cannot fathom them putting in the time money manhours in totally redesigning everything about ships just to let it sit and fester with occasional marquee...

Would be like hiring a crew of men and a bulldozer to knock down a tree you could cut down with a 50 dollar chainsaw

Basitla, etc.

Sorry, ships is a failed add on, imho. 2.0 only made it worse - and more obviously so.

The ONLY thing I guess i'm not liking about 2.0 is boba fetts doom bomb special...I would love to see the data about how many times it's been used since 2.0 in Arena..I know some people will post I USE IT everytime !!!! but honestly that skill is deeeeaaadd.

Only time I think it's used is in smugglers run.. maybe on the ship table battles..

It used to be so fun clicking that button heh even more fun under ackbar... I guess it's prob still a viable strategy on new shards as long as boba is not a reinforcement

I think I'm just dreaming back to the glory days of ships...try to keep him alive for 3 minutes then bam...double doom bomb yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Walter Sobchak....livin' in the past

I don't get to it often but probably because i have boba in reinforcements and rarely call him. And I win or lose by that point. I do call fives in a lot. Spread tl with vader and tf while ht tanks. Then call in fives for massive aoe. Basically same effect as boba but less cd.

I also occasionally get to tarkin's ultimate before te battle ends. That can still save you if you get bad rng and get behind. If you can hang on that long that is.

Recovering from bad RNG with 5 vs 5 was one thing, recovering from bad RNG with 3 vs 3 is something else!

It can be difficult but I usually can recover about half the time when it starts out bad.

But that's the point - a coin flip? Based on RNG or a "2% dodge"? Yeah, no thanks. At least in 5 v 5 it was closer to 80% or so to overcome a bad RNG at the beginning. Now, not even close.

I'm just curious - at what point in the development meeting did someone say "How about MORE randomness in fleet battles?? The players will REALLY love that!". It's like they don't care about the players' experience....oh...wait.

I think you miss my point. I can recover half the time when rng sucks and I lose a ship early..

Yes now because there is a HT...pre HT.. not so easy...

Also because of HT there is ONLY one commander that can allow you "catch up" and again...only if running that commander
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

It hasn't even really changed that drastically - a lot of the old guard ships are still used regularly - Vader, Biggs, Silencer, Boba. Some people are starting to switch to Houndstooth, but it's just another variation of Biggs. Not the unstoppable monster some portray it to be. I actually prefer it to Biggs, since it's easier to ignore.

Every fleet at the top of my shard is using HT now. Most are using both HT and Geos. Our shard looks nothing like it did in 1.0, which was 100% Thrawn ITF Vader FOTF Biggs Reaper at the top.

Yours may not have changed that much, but mine has a ton. And even from the early days of 2.0, when it was all ITF Vader Biggs.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Every fleet at the top of my shard is using HT now. Most are using both HT and Geos. Our shard looks nothing like it did in 1.0, which was 100% Thrawn ITF Vader FOTF Biggs Reaper at the top.

Yours may not have changed that much, but mine has a ton. And even from the early days of 2.0, when it was all ITF Vader Biggs.

I think we have 1 MAYBE 2 people in our top 20 running itf/vader/biggs and that's because they have nothing else.... agree it's dead...

• Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

Actually just drop biggs..... ITF and vader still in every squad..usually just sitting in their reinforcements lol but i know what you meant :)
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

Actually just drop biggs..... ITF and vader still in every squad..usually just sitting in their reinforcements lol but i know what you meant :)

I can't recall the last time I saw ITF, even in reserve, outside of a few fleets still running the old meta.
  • Options
    It’s funny how I see people complaining about a stale meta when they aren’t even running the newest meta. I see people complaining about RNG when they are mainly running mirror matches.

Right now is a pretty great time for ships. There are probably 25 ships that are viable. It’s basically a HT meta with so many good combinations to surround him. But the good thing is he is F2P now and he doesn’t have to be 7* (yes, it helps, but it’s not required). My fleet shard is pretty balanced between 3 of the 4 capital ships (poor Ackbar, although you can still win with him, I do in TW).

I absolutely hated ships 2.0 when they came out. But the problem wasn’t the design, it was that resources were so scarce that there was no variety. Now that I’ve had a chance to invest in a lot more ships and can change up my teams to match my opponents it has been awesome. The strategy in ships 2.0 is much greater than 1.0.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I can't recall the last time I saw ITF, even in reserve, outside of a few fleets still running the old meta.

Lot of our tarkins keep in em reserve so they don't get OHKO'd by poe (guys in our shard of course) I used to get OHKO'd all the time before HT by them coming out from reinforce.. kinda like the poor mans phantom...

The two big whales in our shard don't run it anymore then again....do they :) I don't think anyone has ever seen all their reinforcments before....so who knows....

my battles are over so fast anymore win/lose I'm not sure what anyone has on 3/4 these days

I prefer there to be NO ITF in any of the fleets in my shard...then no need for Poe anymore :)

in the future all those ships will be gone forever not just cause they will power creep out but because new players will have no reason to farm half of them....old players who have won't use...old players who don't have sure as heck won't farm to use....

hmmm A raid would solve all of that though
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I fighting more and more battles against two tanks (HT and Sun Fac) and I think I even saw one with a Biggs to make three. So my fights are definitely taking longer. I fought one a few days ago where we both got our ultimate off and all four reinforcements out. And I lost because they got to a second ultimate first lol. That's an outlier, but still battles are definitely taking longer in our shard now.
  • Options
    I fighting more and more battles against two tanks (HT and Sun Fac) and I think I even saw one with a Biggs to make three. So my fights are definitely taking longer. I fought one a few days ago where we both got our ultimate off and all four reinforcements out. And I lost because they got to a second ultimate first lol. That's an outlier, but still battles are definitely taking longer in our shard now.

I've seen 2, 3, 4 tanks. I've had battles last 2 Thrawn ultimates. Seems everyone wants to run biggs with HT reinfoce or HT with Biggs reinforce. Usually with Boba in there somewhere too. Occasionally a Sun Fac.

HT is pretty easy to just push aside, unlike Biggs or Sun Fac. Cleanse the breach, wipe taunt (or let it expire), get a few turns until his special is available again. Hit it with Thrawn when it's up.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    I don't count Boba as a tank since he can't ever regain taunt.
  • Options
    I don't count Boba as a tank since he can't ever regain taunt.

True - but he can be annoying under ackbar since he comes in with retribution and taunt, and each time you hit him, he hits back once (or twice) and gains back a bunch of protection.

He's less dangerous under Tarkin, since he gains no additional benefit, but it's still another taunt to deal with. Especially after you've already killed 2.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Ashoka's ship for life.