Eliminate preview phase for grand arena

Prev13
Gannon
1630 posts Member
I understand that the preview phase for TW is useful to three matchmaking system, so there is a full 24 hour defense phase to match opponents in the background, but it seems unnecessary for grand arena.
Can't you eliminate the preview phase in grand arena and go straight into defense placement instead?
Staring at an empty empty board for an extra 24 hours seems pointless for grand arena.
Is there some reason it's there?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They need to have everyone signed up before they can match you. Part of the matching is to set the number of squads placed, which I believe they said is based on the lower number of the match.

So yes there is a reason.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could sit out, guess I joined while looking at it and assumed it threw everyone in.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    On that note, why does it allow ppl to sit out of stuff like that and TW, but not TB?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not totally sure but TW is more active at different times of day and really relying on people to be "on call", so the ability for a busy guild mate to sit out and not hurt the guild is a good thing.

TB can be done at any time.

GA is new and they actively want you to get your rewards. A more casual player may not want to.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Oh ok thanks, seemed strange to me that it wasn't mandatory like TB, cuz some guys in my guild faced opponents who placed no defenses, and they instantly won when GA started.
    In reality, if it were mandatory entry like that, you could just not give rewards to non participants like in TB and prevent empty boards like that. Then they really could drop preview phases prolly lol
  • Options
    Gannon wrote: »
    I didn't know you could sit out, guess I joined while looking at it and assumed it threw everyone in.

I'm pretty sure the first exhibition was mandatory to join because you get taken through the tutorial steps with no option to decline but after that, you can decide not to join the next ones.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    They need to have everyone signed up before they can match you. Part of the matching is to set the number of squads placed, which I believe they said is based on the lower number of the match.

Well it also gives everyone 24 hours to sign up, which is perfectly reasonable.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Is what it is.

But seems a bit long-winded. Just my opinion.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Oh, if the grand arena event isn't all-in, why is there no way to leave, like in TW?
  • Options
    Oh, if the grand arena event isn't all-in, why is there no way to leave, like in TW?
    These season 0, exhibition matches are not able to leave, and l there was a major glitch with the first attempt, This second attempt is to see if it’s all good.

Once the proper matches are running, it will be optional then.

Also, the complaint regarding 24 hours, fairest way to play it. Remember the “flash”events that happened at several various times during a day, and only lasted for a few hours, People lost their minds because it wasn’t long enough and not fair that they missed one cuz it wasn’t for the whole day, So really,. . It’s perfectly fine as is.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Ok I get that, I hated the flash events also, although I managed to catch most of them.
    My point was that if there is one all-in event (territory battles), why not make the other events (territory war and now grand arena) all-in also, and eliminate the need for an extra day off staring at an empty board..
    Especially if the initial runs are indeed all-in.

Just doesn't make any sense to me, as a guild leader, to allow ppl to opt out of some events but be expected to be fully active in others. Everyone in my guild is expected to be fully active and participate in everything, or they can go find a casual guilds that doesn't care. Most guilds function that way. Why confuse things by adding all-in for some and opt-in for others?
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    I mean, even if it was all in like tb, there would still be that 24 hour window to get on and place defenses anyway. It's not really like a one hour flash event to have one 24 hour defense period rather than 48 hour join/defense stage. Just seems unnecessary
  • Options
    The join is prior to matching, Once matched, you set def , Can’t set def until you’re matched.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Yes I'm aware, I'm saying automatically enter every player, like tb does. Then there's no need for that waste of 24 hours.

If they did that with territory war, it would solve all of their matchmaking and sandbaggin issues.. But hey, common sense isn't common I guess.
  • Options
    Can’t auto enter every player, That presumes everyone wants to play arena version 2.0 and 3.0. Lol, got to look at what’s allowing the fairest player option, If you wish to play, you can, if you do not wish to, you don’t have to. Making it forced sign up, means that you are removing a players choice from what they want to do. Not everyone desires to play TW or a mini TW , can’t dictate that they do and expect that to be a good thing.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    They aren't going to run more events just because they remove 24 hours from the schedule anyway. This is what I never understood about people complaining that TB phases weren't 12 hours. If they were, you'd finish in three days instead of six, and then people would complain about the three days with nothing to do. You aren't getting more rewards just because they accelerate the schedule.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Yet that's how TB works. Anyone who doesn't participate is a liability in most guilds. Same for war, same for tickets.

What's preventing ppl from joining and setting no defenses, giving a free win to three opponents now? If you don't want to play, don't set defenses. Seems simple enough to me. I've seen plenty of ppl say their opponent left the board empty already.
    And tfv, I'm not talking on terms of accelerating the schedule at all, just discussing the extra phase for ppl to "join" the event.
  • Options
    Seems players tend to like Tb , and dislike TW , .. as such, making TW and now mini TW , I mean ga , optional, is the best option.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    See, im the other way around. I hate tb cuz it takes a week of minimal activity. TW is more fun to me cuz it's one day to set defenses and one day to wipe the board.
    I think matchmaking based on whole guilds would be the easiest good for sandbaggin problem tho, and promote activity. Ppl who don't want to play on offense can easily just set defense or not do anything (and they won't get the rewards).
    And I'm not saying that I like grand arena, haven't seen the full thing yet, but it seems like a lame hybrid of arena and TW. But I do think entering everyone would work just as well, and those who don't participate after that will just be easy opponents to those that do.
    But the best example I can think of is arena. I have an ally account I rarely use, rank 2000 something in arena. I don't play it, but the game counts me as a player anyway. Same concept should apply.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    And tfv, I'm not talking on terms of accelerating the schedule at all, just discussing the extra phase for ppl to "join" the event.

If they autojoined everyone I could be matched up against someone who hasn't played for over a year.

Also it's TVF not tfv, thanks.

• Options
    I don’t understand preview phase for either just set defense lock in 24 hours stop wasting days lol.
  • Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Yea, typo. TVF
    And yea, essentially, but how many ppl with your gp wouldn't participate, you think?
    And if it eliminates repeat matchups, those who don't participate would drop down to the bottom and all not participate together in the end anyway. Lol
    I dunno, I just don't like extended events that could potentially be compressed some
  • Options
    2smooth wrote: »
    I don’t understand preview phase for either just set defense lock in 24 hours stop wasting days lol.

But... no days are being harmed or wasted. GA isn't going to run more often just because there isn't a 24 join period. It will still be X times per month. Whether there is an extra day of waiting tacked onto the front is irrelevant for that purpose.
  • Options
    zZzZzZz.... Thats my feeling about it.

• TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    deleted
  • Options
    Already suggested this in the megathread... Ya know, where stuff related to GA is supposed to be discussed.
  • Options
    So you go to holidays for a Week
    You want to be a liability for your guild by Making tw Harder because you autojoin while you cant participate?

Nothing would be better without the 24h join period
    Don't Watch the table if you cant look at Empty Things
    You have a Timer at the mainscreen

• Gannon
    1630 posts Member
    Options
    Like it wouldn't be just as detrimental to tickets and tb if you completely don't play for a week? Lol
    But I dunno, no-one in my guild does that, including those deployed. Not many people can go a week without their phone these days, so even on vacation ppl still get on if they're active players.
  • Obi1_son
    656 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

This explanation makes sense for tw but zero sense for ga. They are matching players based on a players gp and deciding how many defenses to set based on that same gp. Are you saying that someone could manipulate their go by a mil or so, enough to to change the defensive teams. After you defended their use of gp for matchmaking, you say this??? Please think before you type.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    With or without preview phase it still starts on the same day. Removing the preview wont change anything. The complaint that an event gives a one day warning isn’t necessary.