After completing my 100th GW, I feel well-positioned to assess why it garners so many complaints.

Replies

• Options
    It was a little more fun when it was more difficult, but there were so many people saying it was unfair that I can understand why they made it easier. As it is now I just set my own goals like "beat it with an AoE team, or 3 tanks 2 heals etc.." Since I have been doing this it's become pretty fun again.
  • Options
    The old system felt far less tiresome i bedause the player could swap a healer in after the dangerous enemy characters were defeated.
  • Options
    I still like it. I do it, when I have time, i don't when I am out of time. Feel free to spend one hour for GW or just ignore it 1 or 2 times a week. What's the problem?
    If you slice through 12 nodes in auto-battle mode, where is the "play" part? EA could just throw the rewards to the players and job's done.

It is work, and I am fine with my decision to take the time or not to finish GW. However, I managed to finish GW now 50 times in a row.
    I enjoy changing my squad to beat that beast team with a 7* aayla with minimal damage taken.

But I also agree, that the RNG sucks sometimes (his Sid dodges, my Sid eats his Lumi special attack).

I appreciate a closer look at GW from the devs. Probably fight more themed Squads (Jedi, sith, clones, FO,...)
    I don't agree with guys, who comlalin about the time GW consumes (~2hrs).
    I am just tired of farming gear, or the looooong time it needs to 7* any new character...
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    ETA: If you respond with "oh it's easy, I clear it every day without losing a character", this just means you are getting easy matches. Period.

I do clear it everyday and don't get matched with those nigtmare teams. Mostly i start with lvl 62ish and it slowly gets a bit harder. There must be something different with my roster, arena position or something. I'm happy though B)

• Options
    its more fun when its hard cause you get to use all your characters
  • Options
    This idea of needing a deep bench for GW is overrated. You don't. maybe 7-8 max characters. With a couple healers you can get through it. But it's the same freaking teams over and over. And it's just retreating and repetitive.

I suppose you could self impose rules for yourself (I will only retreat twice the entire GW or I won't use the same group of toon's consecutively). But the problem for me is, GW is the only place I can really get my daily credits. I'm completing it for the reward only. And it makes me sad and angry that it's become my motivation. Because I want to love this game.

GW is symbolic of the bigger issue with this game. It has razor thin content. It's very stale in terms of anything else to do. This game would benefit from a Training Ground or sandbox. No energy involved, just experiment with toons. Set an opposing lineup and have fun. And it would benefit EA too. You learn about some opposing characters and it would make them more desirable. Seriously, in GW I can use the same 7-8 toon's because that's the variety I see in opposition and I know how to beat the same 7-8 toon's with my eyes closed at this point
  • Options
    I haven't finished GW handful of times...yeah 7* light up the nodes...if I ain't feeling it, I put it down walk away. Ain't that serious imo.
  • Options
    Fantazy wrote: »
    ChazSunray wrote: »
    I always look forward to my daily GW, as it is the only part of this game that you have to analyze your opponents' teams, [...] In arena, you pretty much face the same teams every day, so it is not as strategic to me.

BUT it's arena teams you see in GW........ So no strategies to develop, there's absolutely no analysis to be performed, you WILL face Phasma/Sid/Dooku half the nodes in GW. Usually more.

I had a feeling someone would comment on this part of my post...I do see your angle, and I probably should have elaborated further that I find it rewarding to finish the war everyday, using only 5 toons and retaining them from the beginning to the end of each war. That is the strategy I was eluding to. Thank-you, @Fantazy , for helping me to clarify.

• Nerfherder17
    2094 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I could beat it every day. the last few days I just don't even feel like grinding through 9-12. I'm sitting on 30,000 war tokens, and I'm really scratching my head as to what the point is. I have mentioned before how having a slow team is detrimental to finishing GW quickly. If qgj Sidious Rey and GS all get to go first in every round you have a lot of backtracking to do in order to keep slow heroes alive through that first barrage. It's just not fun to retreat on every node past the 3rd where you face maxed speed/dps squads.
  • Options
    The worst part to me is its the same team give or take a character or two for all 12 matches, making it even more boring. Ohhh yaayyy, another Phasma, Dooku, Sidious, Kylo, Luminara team? Yippee! Whoever thought that kind of "matchmaking"'was a good idea obviously never play tested it. Drop the player teams and just have it be completely random
  • Options
    Cut it down to 9 nodes! Easy, medium, hard. Then we will have more time to do other things in our hectic lives.

This is definitely a valid point. Also, speaking of hectic lives, why is arena payout at 6 p.m., and not 7 or 8 p.m.? I think most average people out there are trying to eat, commute home from work/school, or both at around 6 p.m. Talk about added stress...Dueling and Driving anyone?
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    Options
    Cut it down to 9 nodes! Easy, medium, hard. Then we will have more time to do other things in our hectic lives.

+1
    Couldn't put it any better myself. I usually get bored when playing gw but can't leave it because of those rewards. :(
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I could beat it every day. the last few days I just don't even feel like grinding through 9-12. I'm sitting on 30,000 war tokens, and I'm really scratching my head as to what the point is.

The fact that they refuse to put any new characters in Arena or GW shipments does make it seem all the more pointless, yes.
    I'm actually using my GW tokens now to get Vader shards when they appear in the shard shop. That pretty much says it all.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Anubis
    200 posts Member
    Options
    It's less fun that it used to be, but GW isn't the soul-crushing repetitive grind that you make it out to be. I retreat an average of two or so times on the back half and almost never for the first six. I send in suicide squads once or twice per day and finish GW before it's time to leave the house. Is it boring? Maybe a little. But it's actually the most interesting part of the game right now. And, before you tell me that I'm running into easy teams, I play on a very early December shard and place first in Arena more often than not.
  • Options
    I could beat it every day. the last few days I just don't even feel like grinding through 9-12. I'm sitting on 30,000 war tokens, and I'm really scratching my head as to what the point is.

The fact that they refuse to put any new characters in Arena or GW shipments does make it seem all the more pointless, yes.
    I'm actually using my GW tokens now to get Vader shards when they appear in the shard shop. That pretty much says it all.

This is my strategy, also. In addition, I pick up those PITA Rey shards when they come available.
  • PEZ
    64 posts Member
    Options

This is where a little communication from CG / EA would go a long long way. If they would simply indicate that a new, yet unseen, toon will be coming to the GW redemption screen, we would all be a lot more motivated and excited about the daily tedium of GW. Instead, we are totally left in the dark...
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    The worst part to me is its the same team give or take a character or two for all 12 matches, making it even more boring. Ohhh yaayyy, another Phasma, Dooku, Sidious, Kylo, Luminara team? Yippee! Whoever thought that kind of "matchmaking"'was a good idea obviously never play tested it. Drop the player teams and just have it be completely random

Those teams would be welcome in my GW, would be nice to have one of the old teams, now all I meet is QGJ, Yoda, GS, IG86/88, Poggle, FOTP, Dooku and the last couple of days RG has joined the party
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    ChazSunray wrote: »

This is my strategy, also. In addition, I pick up those PITA Rey shards when they come available.

That's all I'm using the shards for too. I've even resorted to buying shards for Daka or Fives from the shard shop because I have nothing else to do with my GW shards.
  • ReyOP
    85 posts Member
    Options
    Gotta disagree, I find it to be pretty fun. When I go in to do it but then realize I've already completed it i'm just like, darn.

Guess i'm in the minority tho
  • Options
    ReyOP wrote: »
    When I go in to do it but then realize I've already completed it i'm just like, darn.

I'm like that too...but because I need credits. :/
  • Options
    Everyone who is over it could, I dunno, stop playing it, fall behind and the rest of us will gladly take your spots.

I'm in!
  • Options
    I have fun playing GW. Get to use characters I wouldnt dare use in Arena because they arent ready. I think it is funny how people have no fun playing this game, yet play it anyways.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Everyone who is over it could, I dunno, stop playing it
    Everyone who has nothing meaningful to contribute to a thread could, I dunno, not read and respond to it.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • xJazzx
    808 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wish CG will employ @Qeltar in some way. He can really help this game become more enjoyable with some of his ideas.
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I complete it every day, but it's just a chore. Something to check off my list. If I could use SIM tickets, I would. I mean, I do like the stuff I get or I wouldn't do it. But...blah.

The only thing remotely fun about it is testing out new group combinations and then retreating before the battle is over to eventually do it right. And even then, there's no way to REALLY test the team because if you replay it, you're just going to get the same numbers as before which results in a replay of the battle (unless you change up targets or something that means you may not be doing things the way you should). But we should not have to use GW for that. We need some kind of training or testing mode. How many times have we asked for that?

Anyway, back to the point. GW is blah. Maybe when I have even a bigger bench to draw from and even more teams to try and throw away, it'll be fun again, but I don't know. And with the level and gear and money grinds...it's going to take months to build that kind of bench. But now they are talking about a level increase which will just make everything take that much more time...

Sorry. I am wondering again. But it is all interconnected. Maybe if there was more game overall, my feelings about GW would be different. But they are wasting development efforts on another level increase?

Bah...off track again. I'm gonna stop now.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Haven't completed it in weeks. I reached that point with it where it was no longer fun, and felt like work. "Oh yeah, I have to do GW today... ugh..."

Nah, I'd rather just not do it.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    It is frustrating but at least the rewards are nice. I wish all aspects of game were this rewarding
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Options
    100% Agree with Op's statements and analysis
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    xJazzx wrote: »
    I wish CG will employ @Qeltar in some way. He can really help this game become more enjoyable with some of his ideas.

#qeltarforpresident :)