After completing my 100th GW, I feel well-positioned to assess why it garners so many complaints.

Prev1345
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited March 2016
It's not fun.
It's just as simple as that. Whether you complete it or not (and I always do) it is just tedious and aggravating. You go in for a fight and the AI gets its usual RNG luck and you have to retreat. Swap a character, oh this time Sid didn't AoE but put a heal block on a key character, retreat. Over and over and over.
Some rounds take over half an hour. And then you open a chest and face another set of 5 level 70 7* characters, often with no healers, just pure damage, and get to do it over again.
Is there strategy? Sure. But it's IRRITATING strategy. Before they ruined GW, you could actually plan out how you used your characters, and manage their cooldowns. Now it's just banging your head against a wall 10,000 times until the wall falls down. And then doing it again and again.
Back when they changed this, the guy who runs this horror show urged me and others to "give it a chance". Well, I now have, something like 50 times.
IT SUCKS.
And not just if you don't have a deep bench or can't complete it. Even when you can.
ETA: If you respond with "oh it's easy, I clear it every day without losing a character", this just means you are getting easy matches. Period.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    Very accurate analysis! I often make it to the last 2 battles and lose. I don't have the time to retreat enough to properly manipulate all the matches in my favor.

+1 for not fun lol
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    Options
    Nice write up as always.
  • Options
    I agree even on the days when I get easy matchups it seems more like a chore than a game.
  • Plague_Inc
    451 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're right of course. Some of the matchups still suck (I don't want to fight a 7* level 70 gear level 10 Greedo), and overall it's not fun, especially since you can't comb through all of your characters to find to perfect match for the next battle since it will be almost the exact same team (or at least the exact same type team). It's not fun doing 5 arena battles a day, and then doing 12 more in Galatic War. That's not the point of GW. They just need to scrap it and rebuild it from the ground up since a fix to make it fun is obviously too hard to implement.
    Post edited by Plague_Inc on
  • Options
    Agreed and nice write up.
  • Sblakers
    32 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I totally agree. I can rarely finish it ever. I just don't have the time to spend 3 hours retreating. It's rediculous when the second node you face is doku sidious lumi Kylo ren and phasma lead. All 7 star all purple all 70. No matter how you slice it you are not coming out of that fight without being banged up. Unless you retreat 100 times for the perfect rng. with computer rnjesus they are going to get 100 attacks in one round consistantly
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It is not like that in my GW, but I know it is in many many many players (GW variance is very high, some players get it harder and others get it easier for unknown reasons).

I like GW, but I wouldnt if I had to spend 30min in a node. Maybe it is because of GW variance, but I dont retire just because Sid healblocked someone, unless the RNG seed makes him die after that. I often wait until healblock is removed to heal back, or just heal early in next battle. And even then, only QGJ is not replaceable, I'd often keep pushing if JC or Lumi die. I just put Barris or Daka there. If 86 or Geo die I'd use 88 or anakin or Fives. Rewards are the same if you finish with some toons dead.
  • Ouchie
    1233 posts Member
    Options
    I finish it every day, but excellently written post! GW is kinda dull, but I like the payouts.

And all the strategy you need to work on can be as simple as just swapping out a character or changing who you fight first. Not really strategizing there, just shaking things up and guessing. Like what I did the other day...
    https://youtu.be/MUimy93OJNE
  • Options
    I agree. I beat it every day but it feels like a chore. And usually wastes about an hour of my day.
  • Mc1
    306 posts Member
    Options
    I agree op. Nice.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    I like Galaxy Wars. I don't mind the retreating. The bench is developed enough that using a top 4 and a taunt to die allows me to get through hard battles without feeling like I'm trying to game RNG to win.

I never played the old system so can't compare if it were better.

I think the complaints stem from people wanting to collect rather than grind characters. If you have lots of 4/5 star characters they aren't going to last against the 7 star armies. The advice here is always develop your bench. That's terrible advice, it should be develop 7 guys. People don't understand how to win at it and it takes months to fix your roster. Those things lead to frustration as you don't see any progress day to day.

Fixes would be
    - if you fail it gets easier win it gets . Assuming the matchmaking is highest arena power just subtract 500 from that after every loss and add 500 after every win

Then people could play how they wanted and make their own challenge. Want to never retreat eventually difficulty would equalize at your ability and provide a challenge. You could tier it a bit so more wins in a row got you marginally more credits or mats.

The key though to eliminate GW is most people don't want something difficult. They want easy autosim to get there next pull of the slot machine and a hit of that delicious dopamine the instant the prize is revealed.
  • Options
    100%.

It's not fun anymore, at all. We'll see how much longer I last.
  • PEZ
    64 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with this. I have finished GW 91 times and haven't lost once in my last 91 attempts. BUT, it is a daily chore and I don't find it fun. Even with a deep bench, it still takes quite a long time to complete when facing 7 or 8 fully maxed teams in the last 7 or 8 battles.

Doesn't this raise another issue altogether? If many of us don't find GW fun and the Arena is a joke with the ranking system (where the last 15 minutes before reset are all that matters), what is there left to do in the game? It appears the answer is to come onto the forums and complain about nothing to do!

• Options
    It is boring and predictable and you have to resort to creating cookie cutter boring teams to beat it.

I fight against the same basic team with a couple of swaps.... 12 times....

Oh you beat 7*70 Phasma, Daka, Dooku,Sid, Lumi? Congrats! Now fight Phasma, Daka, Dooku, Sid, Kylo. Good job! Now fight Phasma, Sid....12.....times.

You know what would be a better GW? How about we, the players, only get to use each of our characters twice for the whole event. We build a team and you generate a team for us to play if equal power level. At least then we get to do something more interactive.

I don't know. Just please do something. GW feels like a half-hearted attempt at a game mode.
  • Options
    I am all for difficult. What I can't deal with is mind numbinlgly difficult at such an early stage. The combination of team composition(all 70's all 7* all purple all meta toon) and rnjesus for computer (and this is all on mode two or 3) makes the task **** near unbearable. I just don't have the patience or time for such things.
  • Options
    I always look forward to my daily GW, as it is the only part of this game that you have to analyze your opponents' teams, manage your cool downs, reconfigure your toons' position in your squad, memorizing previous actions used in case of retreating, etc. In arena, you pretty much face the same teams every day, so it is not as strategic to me. Just like some people do crosswords every day to exercise their brain, I like to do this.

I know that GW isn't exactly "rocket-science", but it still provides me a little puzzle solving, winding-down time in the evening.
  • Options
    Nope it isn't fun at all. I've only beaten 20 of them. Those that say it's easy is because they got a large selection of characters and easy or easier opponents that day. No other game aggravates me like GWs. It's only gonna get worse because as more people play and level up characters we will see less and less lower stared teams, before long every single node will consist of 7* teams from the start to the end. Add the God Mode AI to that equation and before long no one with a roster of 2 or less 7* squads will even be able to complete GWs on a daily basis anymore. The way it is now you have to have multiple characters to complete it day after day and that is fine but this God Mode AI needs to be tuned down a bit.

I'm not saying it should be auto~pilot easy but it should be a little bit easier than the way it is now. More than anything I think it's the AI that's the real problem. What's gonna happen 6 or more months from now when more people have more squads leveled up? I'll tell you, every single node will be 7* and if you don't have a ton of characters leveled and geared then GWs will always remain the most aggravating part of this game.
  • Fantazy
    553 posts Member
    Options
    ChazSunray wrote: »
    I always look forward to my daily GW, as it is the only part of this game that you have to analyze your opponents' teams, [...] In arena, you pretty much face the same teams every day, so it is not as strategic to me.

BUT it's arena teams you see in GW........ So no strategies to develop, there's absolutely no analysis to be performed, you WILL face Phasma/Sid/Dooku half the nodes in GW. Usually more.

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ ︵ DOE
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Agree with @Qeltar totally, for me it usually is like this, node 1-6 a variation of teams lvl 68-70, 7-12 all maxed out speed teams, and the old retreat option, gave the possibility to switch a toon midtbattle, and that was more challenging, and found pride in not force closing the game to reset the battle, granted I lost more toons, but I found it way more fun
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    I beat it every day as well. I think the reason it's not fun is because it's the same toons over and over and over and over and over again. A simple fix might be to provide computer generated match-ups instead of fighting actual teams. I wouldn't mind playing GW for an hour each day if I got to fight against completely different characters each round. That would also show us how other characters do maxed out and would create interest in farming those other toons.
  • Lianara
    740 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Agreed. Before, the suicide squads, feints, and strategic retreats made it feel like a chess match (well not at same depth of course) and was my favorite part of this game. Now I loathe it, even when I can complete it, as much strategy is gone, it's the Edge of Tomorrow over and over ...
    P.s. I never FC'ed in the old mode, it felt like cheating. I am surprised that FC became default mode.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    Fantazy wrote: »
    I always look forward to my daily GW, as it is the only part of this game that you have to analyze your opponents' teams, [...] In arena, you pretty much face the same teams every day, so it is not as strategic to me.

BUT it's arena teams you see in GW........ So no strategies to develop, there's absolutely no analysis to be performed, you WILL face Phasma/Sid/Dooku half the nodes in GW. Usually more.

I think this is the biggest issue. There are essentially two strategies to GW. Speed DPS with two healers or counters and bonus attacks with two healers.

I would love some variety, I think GW was supposed to provide that but the algorithm and players response to the algorithm has narrowed and narrowed the teams used.

• NONcom
    11 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I say GW would get a new meaning if there would be a GW rank with a little extra payout as in Arena. Or if we would get something extra for a GW winning streak. The problem with GW is that in high levels it is not so rewarding as it is in the begining. It is just not worth the time. When you use 1 hour of your time there, you feel you wanted more of it. Anyway I'd say GW would be worth it if our consistent effort would bring additional value to the rewards.
    Also a GW rank could determine what players you get as enemies. The GW rank could also determine the value of payouts after each fight, as it would be some kind of multiplier.
  • Options
    I agree. I finish it daily, but only because I have the time to retreat so many times that I find the perfect RNG combination.
  • Options
    New to these forums, but this post sums up what I'm here for. Honestly what the hell has happened? I used to complete this every night, or at least come close before time ran out (I only get the last 30-45 min of the day to play).
    Since sometime last week I can't complete the first 3, and my team is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Today, I can't complete the very first one. This has taught me a lesson about spending money on the game. Don't bother, since they'll just ramp it up to make it **** near impossible again.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Fantazy wrote: »

No, you see GW teams.
  • Options
    To OP Qeltar, your analysis is 100% correct. It's a boring tedium. Once upon a time in Defember I actually enjoyed it, the old retreat style was fun. Now, it's a restart fest that is a chore and I dread "having" to do it or fall behind.
  • Chewy_Johnson68
    223 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Great post OP. I like GW myself. I am working on bench teams and try them out in GW. I usually end up using A team due to max teams on all nodes (which is boring). I can see potential though when I have 4 or 5 maxed teams with different synergies. Then it will be even more fun to play MY teams against whatever! I hope they keep it until I build all that.

I complete GW every time now that I have a "can't lose" team. I did struggle when leveling and building early on though! 58 wins don't recall loses
  • Options
    But isn't the whole game like this... The 5 vs 5 battles are all we have, it's the only gameplay. And GW is just 12 fights in a row. I like collecting the characters, but battles in general are becoming a bit boring. Not just gw
  • Options
    I failed it the first day I tried and then never again. I working on 97 in a row today and what used to be fun is now just a repetitive chore. You said it best, just an endless stream of trying to find the right RNG string.