Leave GA alone

Prev13
First off let me go ahead and say people are going to hate this post, i write it with that understanding. Grand Arena is a place for people to test themselves vs people that have the same GP. GP is your overall power in the game. This can be misleading because if your one of these people that play this game as if pvp doesnt exist, and you just want alot of people people at 7 stars. If that's your plan, don't plan on pvp being your area of fun in the game. Grand Arena is the PINNACLE of pvp. You vs someone of almost the exact GP you have. What a wonderful thiing for someone like myself that strives to test myself vs my peers. In todays society, everyone wants to feel like a winner....This can NEVER be the case. Some people must lose and some must win. In a sport if you want to become top of your peers, you practice. You study your game, find out what makes the best, the best. And if you do, and apply yourself to that goal, you will become good. Maybe not a pro, but you will be good at your chose craft. This can be applied to SWGOH. If you chase the meta, you will stay competitive, if you decide to work on old teams that have fallen behind, expect the same rsults, you will fall behind. Reworks help catch up players like this but in swgoh there is another perspective, gear level. If you fail to go to g12 with your characters, your runnign into battle with half a sword and and a broken shield. Why would you do this? It does not make sense...Then people complain how they arent competitive? "I cant win a match because im 4m GP and only have 7 g12 characters......WHAT A JOKE. Bottom Line-Stop complaining and do your research. Get your teams to max level and work on sith raid teams to get to the best rewards. A NOTE for @CG_Carrie Please dont let this new GA rework hurt those of us who have put money into this game to get to a competitive spot above our GP. I win most of my GA bouts because i have spent more $(which keeps your running) and done more research, video watching, and preperation than most of those at my gp, i still have competitive matches but i dont want to be forced to fight people higher than me just because i focus my roster, speed mods make all the difference, the higher gp you have, the most times you have been able to get lucky with a good speed mod. GP is an investement of time and money, keeping GA based on that is the best way to keep it even. You cant make everyone happy, so leave it alone, dont keep changing it,

Replies

  • Being punished for activating the Emperor's shuttle or leveling CUP because I have plenty of mats is not a test of pvp. Despite what your daily affirmations tell you, HOARDING IS NOT PVP!
  • TVF
    15875 posts Member
    edited May 22
    Why would you level CUP just because you have mats? That's not PvP either.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kokie
    1169 posts Member
    I agree with the OP 100% on this one
  • Voltarc
    96 posts Member
    Sorry Grand Arena is a knife in the back of every serious player. I am so angry about players defending grand arena based on GP. The character from 2 years ago are counted as the same GP and guess what!!! You really were suppose to collect many of these now less useful characters to get one rare character. Of coarse you can short cut that all and just buy the legendary characters... but that cost thousands of dollars to and it was not reasonable to expect any one to do that. Maybe you spend a little to get ready for a particular event. But if you couldn’t that was ok because you could still play the game and be competitive. What a joke that now some deluded players who spent insane money on a mobile game can sit there and say we did something wrong and the GP penalty is ok. You did not put any time into it and we did. But that does not get money for today... I am shocked at the greed of the developers...should not be surprised the bottom line is going down...the cost to play is getting to high. Maybe I’ll keep playing if we get the diversity we were promised...but so far I’m not seeing that. Seems like we are all being funneled into buying a few critical characters. Instead of pinnacle it seems more like a hole and your throwing your money into it!
  • Waqui
    5818 posts Member
    Being punished for activating the Emperor's shuttle or leveling CUP because I have plenty of mats is not a test of pvp. Despite what your daily affirmations tell you, HOARDING IS NOT PVP!

    You're not 'punished' for having levelled ip CUP. You're 'punished' for having less strong teams, a worse strategy or a worse execution of your strategy than your opponent.
  • Liath
    4545 posts Member
    Voltarc wrote: »
    You really were suppose to collect many of these now less useful characters to get one rare character. Of coarse you can short cut that all and just buy the legendary characters... but that cost thousands of dollars to and it was not reasonable to expect any one to do that.

    You.... you realize that you actually *can’t* do that right? You can’t get Thrawn without collecting the shards for Phoenix and leveling and promoting those required characters. There is no option to just buy Thrawn to keep your GP low instead.
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    Being punished for activating the Emperor's shuttle or leveling CUP because I have plenty of mats is not a test of pvp. Despite what your daily affirmations tell you, HOARDING IS NOT PVP!

    Hoarding is not PVP? Let me guess, eating is not water either?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.
  • AntiHeld
    108 posts Member
    Grand Arena is the PINNACLE of pvp. You vs someone of almost the exact GP you have. What a wonderful thiing for someone like myself that strives to test myself vs my peers.

    Actually that is where you are wrong. You, as a sprinter, are matched against a marathon runner in a 100m contest. Both good ways to do sports, but not really fair in direct contest. If you could place a infinite number of teams in GA, you would not like a direct GP matchup so much (being the marathon variant). So If you want to "strive to test yourself", you would want to battle teams of adequate power. Not butcher cattle.

    That being said: Yes there is a flaw in this method of matchups. But I think its not really possible to make it completely fair, so I am more of less happy with how it is. There are many ideas to improve it, like just compairing the Strength of top teams that might be used (number of Spaces x2 or so), but since pairing fair matchups doesn't work too well in TW already, we might as well just keep it simple here :)
  • Voltarc
    96 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Voltarc wrote: »
    You really were suppose to collect many of these now less useful characters to get one rare character. Of coarse you can short cut that all and just buy the legendary characters... but that cost thousands of dollars to and it was not reasonable to expect any one to do that.

    You.... you realize that you actually *can’t* do that right? You can’t get Thrawn without collecting the shards for Phoenix and leveling and promoting those required characters. There is no option to just buy Thrawn to keep your GP low instead.

    Duh...you BUY the phonix crew to get early access to Thrawn...which if you want to get all technical is WORSE and cost more than just directly buying one character. And that was not that big a deal....so you had to wait a cycle to to get Thrawn. At that time you were STILL encouraged to promote anything you had extra shards/gear for because it helped in territory wars and other random missions and events. I made PVP my top priority and always gave my arena team the best. No GP penalty in regular arena...you fight your way to the top. Grand Arena is not PVP....it is a weird resource game where your bracket is based directly on GP...a game that anyone was serious about this game and tried to get every advantage possible is now penalized for. To give grand arena credit....I love the clean bracket system that matches you up with people who have lost or won the same number of times. Your bracket should be based on how much you won or lost not on GP...maybe with some sort of seasonal restart....literally the way most games work. Nobody says: Oh you bought some useless stuff but you have to fight the guy who bought the same number of top tier items...what? Why permanently burn every body that actually played the game and tried different stuff. Makes no sense.
  • Liath
    4545 posts Member
    Voltarc wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Voltarc wrote: »
    You really were suppose to collect many of these now less useful characters to get one rare character. Of coarse you can short cut that all and just buy the legendary characters... but that cost thousands of dollars to and it was not reasonable to expect any one to do that.

    You.... you realize that you actually *can’t* do that right? You can’t get Thrawn without collecting the shards for Phoenix and leveling and promoting those required characters. There is no option to just buy Thrawn to keep your GP low instead.

    Duh...you BUY the phonix crew to get early access to Thrawn...which if you want to get all technical is WORSE and cost more than just directly buying one character.

    Do you honestly not see how buying Phoenix to get Thrawn has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are talking about here? This thread,
    including your comment which I responded to, is about GP being inflated by useless characters that you had to farm for some reason. Whether you got Phoenix by farming them slowly or buying them quickly has literally no bearing on your fluff GP. No matter how you got them, they have to be 7* and at the minimum level/gear required to complete the event. You cannot buy your way out of the fluff GP.
  • leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.

    NBA? white guys? rich kids? ivy league? bribed schools? What does any of that have to do with this post?
    Are you trying to hide that you are in fact losing? I don't care about that, i merely tried to point out that playing the biased card works both ways, you don't get to say you're objective eventhough you're losing but everyone with a different opinion than yours isn't objective because they're winning.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.

    NBA? white guys? rich kids? ivy league? bribed schools? What does any of that have to do with this post?
    Are you trying to hide that you are in fact losing? I don't care about that, i merely tried to point out that playing the biased card works both ways, you don't get to say you're objective eventhough you're losing but everyone with a different opinion than yours isn't objective because they're winning.

    To satisfy your curious mind, I have 2 accounts. 1 with fluff, 1 with no fluff. 1 wins every match, 1 does not. Clearly, the explanation is that I'm just a better pvp player on 1 account.
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.

    NBA? white guys? rich kids? ivy league? bribed schools? What does any of that have to do with this post?
    Are you trying to hide that you are in fact losing? I don't care about that, i merely tried to point out that playing the biased card works both ways, you don't get to say you're objective eventhough you're losing but everyone with a different opinion than yours isn't objective because they're winning.

    To satisfy your curious mind, I have 2 accounts. 1 with fluff, 1 with no fluff. 1 wins every match, 1 does not. Clearly, the explanation is that I'm just a better pvp player on 1 account.

    The point was that saying everyone who disagrees is biased isn't a strong argument, or an argument at all really.
    Regardless, I highly doubt that the amount of fluff is the only difference between the two accounts. If you truly want to satisfy my curiousity i'd love to see both swgoh.gg profiles.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dar_Penthar
    398 posts Member
    edited May 24
    When you have been playing long enough to have a full 7* level 85 Jawa crew (because you wanted CD mods or any of the other crews we were forced to farm and gear to G8 just to simply access the mods), not to mention the TB inflation (to help the guild) fiasco then let those of us who want this changed to be something more than just GP matching know....
  • Liath
    4545 posts Member
    When you have been playing long enough to have a full 7* level 85 Jawa crew (because you wanted CD mods or any of the other crews we were forced to farm and gear to G8 just to simply access the mods), not to mention the TB inflation (to help the guild) fiasco then let those of us who want this changed to be something more than just GP matching know....

    So if I ever used Jawas to farm CD mods does that make me qualified to have an opinion? (You know they weren’t required to be 7* or level 85 to do that right?)
  • leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.

    NBA? white guys? rich kids? ivy league? bribed schools? What does any of that have to do with this post?
    Are you trying to hide that you are in fact losing? I don't care about that, i merely tried to point out that playing the biased card works both ways, you don't get to say you're objective eventhough you're losing but everyone with a different opinion than yours isn't objective because they're winning.

    To satisfy your curious mind, I have 2 accounts. 1 with fluff, 1 with no fluff. 1 wins every match, 1 does not. Clearly, the explanation is that I'm just a better pvp player on 1 account.

    The point was that saying everyone who disagrees is biased isn't a strong argument, or an argument at all really.
    Regardless, I highly doubt that the amount of fluff is the only difference between the two accounts. If you truly want to satisfy my curiousity i'd love to see both swgoh.gg profiles.

    https://swgoh.gg/p/894657845/
    This is the account that loses. I never made a profile for the other.
  • Dar_Penthar
    398 posts Member
    edited May 24
    Liath wrote: »
    So if I ever used Jawas to farm CD mods does that make me qualified to have an opinion? (You know they weren’t required to be 7* or level 85 to do that right?)

    Not all of us had the foresight to farm them to the bare minimum required. Some of us thought "well what the H*ll does it hurt to try and use these guys for HAAT" or "hey I have these crap toons sitting around that I was forced to farm so why not throw this extra useless gear on them". Fast forward 2 years and Hey what do you know that was mistake...

    Not to mention how asinine it is to force people to collect items in a collection based game.... and then punish them for it.
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    My guess is that the players defending GA are winning. Human nature.

    My guess is that the players whining about GA are losing. Human nature.

    No, I'm not in NBA but I've never claimed that the rules are unfair to uncoordinated white guys. I complain about GA for objective reason. Not to mention the conveniently forgotten fact that CG specifically stated that players should not benefit from un(der) geared toons. I'm sure this crowd will jump over some mental hurdles to rationalize their position. Like all the rich kids who think they earned their Ivy league admission after their parents bribed the schools.

    NBA? white guys? rich kids? ivy league? bribed schools? What does any of that have to do with this post?
    Are you trying to hide that you are in fact losing? I don't care about that, i merely tried to point out that playing the biased card works both ways, you don't get to say you're objective eventhough you're losing but everyone with a different opinion than yours isn't objective because they're winning.

    To satisfy your curious mind, I have 2 accounts. 1 with fluff, 1 with no fluff. 1 wins every match, 1 does not. Clearly, the explanation is that I'm just a better pvp player on 1 account.

    The point was that saying everyone who disagrees is biased isn't a strong argument, or an argument at all really.
    Regardless, I highly doubt that the amount of fluff is the only difference between the two accounts. If you truly want to satisfy my curiousity i'd love to see both swgoh.gg profiles.

    https://swgoh.gg/p/894657845/
    This is the account that loses. I never made a profile for the other.

    allycode is also fine, i can just check ingame.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • YaeVizsla
    3015 posts Member
    Line

    break
    Still not a he.
  • Liath
    4545 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    So if I ever used Jawas to farm CD mods does that make me qualified to have an opinion? (You know they weren’t required to be 7* or level 85 to do that right?)

    Not all of us had the foresight to farm them to the bare minimum required. Some of us thought "well what the H*ll does it hurt to try and use these guys for HAAT" or "hey I have these crap toons sitting around that I was forced to farm so why not throw this extra useless gear on them". Fast forward 2 years and Hey what do you know that was mistake...

    Not to mention how asinine it is to force people to to collect items in a collection based game.... and then punish them for it.

    That’s not what I asked. Your position seems to be that people who are fine with GA aren’t entitled to express their opinions because they must not have been playing long enough to have fluff from things like needing Jawas to farm CD mods, which is utter nonsense.
  • Liath wrote: »

    That’s not what I asked. Your position seems to be that people who are fine with GA aren’t entitled to express their opinions because they must not have been playing long enough to have fluff from things like needing Jawas to farm CD mods, which is utter nonsense.

    Of course you can have an opinion, it will just be wrong =P
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    At what point in time has it been long enough to undo the damage done before TW/GA were introduced? I get the whole fluff thing being bad and all that, but at some point enough time has passed for that no longer being the reason you're outmatched. (unless ofcourse you kept building up fluff)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    At what point in time has it been long enough to undo the damage done before TW/GA were introduced? I get the whole fluff thing being bad and all that, but at some point enough time has passed for that no longer being the reason you're outmatched. (unless ofcourse you kept building up fluff)

    The effect of the Fluff does dwindle over time but it is never gone. Once you have fluff you will forever be at a disadvantage to those who do not have fluff based on the current GA match Making algorithm
  • leef
    12780 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    At what point in time has it been long enough to undo the damage done before TW/GA were introduced? I get the whole fluff thing being bad and all that, but at some point enough time has passed for that no longer being the reason you're outmatched. (unless ofcourse you kept building up fluff)

    The effect of the Fluff does dwindle over time but it is never gone. Once you have fluff you will forever be at a disadvantage to those who do not have fluff based on the current GA match Making algorithm

    At some point you don't notice fluff anymore. I've got fluff, while not alot, it certainly didn't hurt me, not even when fighting players with more g11/12's (which i assume means they had less fluff than me).
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • YaeVizsla
    3015 posts Member
    The effect of the Fluff does dwindle over time but it is never gone. Once you have fluff you will forever be at a disadvantage to those who do not have fluff based on the current GA match Making algorithm
    1) They're rebalancing the matchmaking algorithm.

    2) That forever disadvantage is dramatically overstated, and you can just as easily say you're forever advantaged in territory battle and can bump your guild up the brackets in Territory War. The disadvantage itself is almost trivial.
    Still not a he.
  • Liath
    4545 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

    That’s not what I asked. Your position seems to be that people who are fine with GA aren’t entitled to express their opinions because they must not have been playing long enough to have fluff from things like needing Jawas to farm CD mods, which is utter nonsense.

    Of course you can have an opinion, it will just be wrong =P

    I still want an answer to my question. How long does a person have to have been playing before his opinion is not dismissed on the grounds that he hasn’t been playing long enough? Give me an actual start date or length of time.
  • First off let me go ahead and say people are going to hate this post, i write it with that understanding. Grand Arena is a place for people to test themselves vs people that have the same GP. GP is your overall power in the game. This can be misleading because if your one of these people that play this game as if pvp doesnt exist, and you just want alot of people people at 7 stars. If that's your plan, don't plan on pvp being your area of fun in the game. Grand Arena is the PINNACLE of pvp. You vs someone of almost the exact GP you have. What a wonderful thiing for someone like myself that strives to test myself vs my peers. In todays society, everyone wants to feel like a winner....This can NEVER be the case. Some people must lose and some must win. In a sport if you want to become top of your peers, you practice. You study your game, find out what makes the best, the best. And if you do, and apply yourself to that goal, you will become good. Maybe not a pro, but you will be good at your chose craft. This can be applied to SWGOH. If you chase the meta, you will stay competitive, if you decide to work on old teams that have fallen behind, expect the same rsults, you will fall behind. Reworks help catch up players like this but in swgoh there is another perspective, gear level. If you fail to go to g12 with your characters, your runnign into battle with half a sword and and a broken shield. Why would you do this? It does not make sense...Then people complain how they arent competitive? "I cant win a match because im 4m GP and only have 7 g12 characters......WHAT A JOKE. Bottom Line-Stop complaining and do your research. Get your teams to max level and work on sith raid teams to get to the best rewards. A NOTE for @CG_Carrie Please dont let this new GA rework hurt those of us who have put money into this game to get to a competitive spot above our GP. I win most of my GA bouts because i have spent more $(which keeps your running) and done more research, video watching, and preperation than most of those at my gp, i still have competitive matches but i dont want to be forced to fight people higher than me just because i focus my roster, speed mods make all the difference, the higher gp you have, the most times you have been able to get lucky with a good speed mod. GP is an investement of time and money, keeping GA based on that is the best way to keep it even. You cant make everyone happy, so leave it alone, dont keep changing it,

    I completely agree. Hopefully the changes will be minor. Like not counting characters beliw 10k or so. Not drastic like making sure you face an almost identical roster. That would remove the whole incentive to build good characters.

    Or maybe different leagues based on win/loss records. Those that win more are in the upper league with better rrwards and those that lose more are in the lower one where they can face weaker opponents.
Sign In or Register to comment.