The Speed Meta

Replies

• TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Only way to truly negate the speed meta is buffing other stats. The DR teams right now just land everything if they go first. Everyone gets feared no matter how much tenacity you have if you are running without a pretaunt. Making the abilities much more resistable and damage mitigated more is the solution to straight out speed

Or just run JKR?

The JKR is kind of a gimmick team and your gmy has to be faster than DR really

JKR gives the whole team tenacity up for a turn, so.....
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options
    Only way to truly negate the speed meta is buffing other stats. The DR teams right now just land everything if they go first. Everyone gets feared no matter how much tenacity you have if you are running without a pretaunt. Making the abilities much more resistable and damage mitigated more is the solution to straight out speed

Or just run JKR?

I understand the mechanic of JKR, but without yoda's foresight, dr will strip it and apply buff immunity on him and then bastilla will apply fear on him. A little bit of bad rng later, you will lose
  • Options
    TVF got burned 😂
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    hotdeaths wrote: »
    this would break PVE, especially raids. Imagine having RT in P1 doing even more damage, or having a team that can constantly debuff nihlus.

Imagine having a gaming team that nerfs your theory crafted team/s because they beat the raid or destroy the meta.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Or just run JKR?

That's a misconception. You can win with a slow GMY.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options

Or just run JKR?

I understand the mechanic of JKR, but without yoda's foresight, dr will strip it and apply buff immunity on him and then bastilla will apply fear on him. A little bit of bad rng later, you will lose

We have a couple of JKR that still can take first, so maybe your strat needs work.
  • thedrjojo
    954 posts Member
    Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

But I don't necessarily need anyone to have defense and crit damage up, so should I have not bought this mod today?
  • Options
    this would break PVE, especially raids. Imagine having RT in P1 doing even more damage, or having a team that can constantly debuff nihlus.

Imagine having a gaming team that nerfs your theory crafted team/s because they beat the raid or destroy the meta.

This would never happen because people would quit.
  • Options

This would never happen because people would quit.

lol this happens all the time
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

But I don't necessarily need anyone to have defense and crit damage up, so should I have not bought this mod today?

What?

It has +19 speed.
  • Options
    Grudgeling wrote: »
    I'm sure by now everyone is well aware of the fact that speed is king when it comes to modding. The Darth Revan/Malak meta really shows this more than anything, it's become an endless struggle to get 1 more speed than the enemy teams Bastila Shan Fallen or make your BSF 1 speed faster than a GMY so you can get CBM on the enemy before the tenacity up.

I think most agree that speed is by far a stronger stat than the others. The issue I see that doesn't get much talk is the actual mod sets. I've noticed a consistent trend in my shard and GA of opponents that are ignoring the mod set bonuses in favor of 4 speed set plus any 2 random max secondary speed mods.

Could we not possibly have some penalty for not matching the sets? Perhaps a 25-50% stat decrease on the mods that aren't matched if the set bonus is not activated. Meaning a 24 speed mod becomes a 12 speed mod if it's set requirement is not met.

This doesn't make speed any less powerful, it just prevents people getting one mod and using it everywhere no matter the character. It just prevents the race for 1 more speed no matter the cost. The current loss of the set bonuses just doesn't off set the gain of 1 speed.

Perhaps we can gather some ideas for the devs here.

The problem is not in speed, the problem is in meta teams that are oriented to one simple rule: the faster your characters are, the stronger they are.
    Because the mechanics of their skills are designed for this ( marks , fracture etc).
  • Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

What?

It has +19 speed.

If I'm not going to join it with another defense set, the op is saying I shouldn't use it.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

What?

It has +19 speed.

If I'm not going to join it with another defense set, the op is saying I shouldn't use it.

Ah ok just wanted to be sure we're on the same page lol.
  • Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

What?

It has +19 speed.

+19 speed wouldn't make it to any of my fastest sets... Everyone is at different levels
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

What?

It has +19 speed.

+19 speed wouldn't make it to any of my fastest sets... Everyone is at different levels

Yay for humble brags!
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Still valuable for GA/TW.
    Still not a he.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options

Or just run JKR?

Tenacity up only stops BSF and her CBMeditation. The fear that DR applies to your whole team cannot be resisted. So DR applies fear, then you resist BSF first turn but your faster characters have already lost a turn, then HK does his AOE and applies tenacity down on all. Revan can cleanse and GMY spread buffs but it's an uphill climb because of speed.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    Pretaunt is a thing though.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been pointed out, so I apologize in advance for repeating things, but speed has always been king. Even all the way back in the Poe + 3 Droids + GS (since GS was the only one capable if g9 at the time) days. There weren't mods then, so it was a coin flip.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

What?

It has +19 speed.

a +20 speed crit damage triangle is freaking awesome, no matter at what level you are. No need to start flexing.
    I'm curious about your swgoh.gg profile though, if a +20 triangle doesn't make it to any of your fastest sets. i do allright in the mod department, but i've only got 1 triangle with more than 20 speed.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Daishi wrote: »

Or just run JKR?

Tenacity up only stops BSF and her CBMeditation. The fear that DR applies to your whole team cannot be resisted. So DR applies fear, then you resist BSF first turn but your faster characters have already lost a turn, then HK does his AOE and applies tenacity down on all. Revan can cleanse and GMY spread buffs but it's an uphill climb because of speed.

So Mark Darth Revan to increase his cooldowns then fracture him. Voila - no fear.

The current mirror matches are very heavily dominated by speed mods - that's true and it sucks. But Just like previously there are counters out there... it means you might have to do 1 extra battle each day to switch your defense team in but that's always been the case when you have to beat someone in the payout before yours using a counter squad.

Personally the 15% base chance for BSF to resist your corrupted battle meditation is a much bigger annoyance for me in this meta.
  • Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

@thedrjojo don't get me wrong I'd break a set in a heartbeat to use the CD+speed secondary on that mod. But if you do want to use it to make a defense set stick it on Kylo Ren. He works great with a defense set because of his stacking defense between turns when damaged and also needs to be fast and gains bonus damage from CD even if his AOE can't critically hit.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
  • thedrjojo
    954 posts Member
    Options
    mdp14wa69go4.jpg

@thedrjojo don't get me wrong I'd break a set in a heartbeat to use the CD+speed secondary on that mod. But if you do want to use it to make a defense set stick it on Kylo Ren. He works great with a defense set because of his stacking defense between turns when damaged and also needs to be fast and gains bonus damage from CD even if his AOE can't critically hit.

I was being partially facetious, I can probably find someone to put that on in a defense set (my bossk is already 241 speed with a +18 speed defense primary triangle, but he was my first instinct). my first order isn't that great (my kylo Ren is gear 9). I do already have a crit damage triangle on him though (+10 speed though)
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Speed is king, but hopefully we see more Droideka and Grevious types that hit hard based off other contingencies. Not fully nullifying speed, but making a character less dependent upon it.
    (Making high speed characters pay for their modifications.)
  • Whatelse73
    2182 posts Member
    Options
    The other part of the problem with speed is that getting speed on mods is wayyyyyy too RNG based. Some people are lucky and get dozens of secondary speeds that roll to +20. I have 6 mods with 20+ secondary speed after two years of playing this game. I've been farming mods pretty much 4 days a week for about a year now. I still get crap rolls on speed mods. I have more speed primary skill arrows than I can put on characters, but secondary speed eludes me.

I know I'm not the only one, but yay for those lucky enough to have 20-25 mods with 20+ secondary speed on them for their arena team, or more.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    The other part of the problem with speed is that getting speed on mods is wayyyyyy too RNG based. Some people are lucky and get dozens of secondary speeds that roll to +20. I have 6 mods with 20+ secondary speed after two years of playing this game. I've been farming mods pretty much 4 days a week for about a year now.

A week is 7 days long though.
  • Whatelse73
    2182 posts Member
    Options
    The other part of the problem with speed is that getting speed on mods is wayyyyyy too RNG based. Some people are lucky and get dozens of secondary speeds that roll to +20. I have 6 mods with 20+ secondary speed after two years of playing this game. I've been farming mods pretty much 4 days a week for about a year now.

No kidding? Wowwwwww. No wonder I've not gotten enough.

I've also been farming slicing mats to slice up my mods too. So, yeah, that's part of the mod building stuff.
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options

I've also been farming slicing mats to slice up my mods too. So, yeah, that's part of the mod building stuff.

I've played the same time as you. I have 20 mods at 20+. Some of that is surely luck, but some of it is probably not.
  • Whatelse73
    2182 posts Member
    Options

I've played the same time as you. I have 20 mods at 20+. Some of that is surely luck, but some of it is probably not.

If everyone else playing the same amount of time as us had as many as you, then perhaps. But I see plenty of rosters similar to mine for the same amount of time that have crap luck just like me.

But thanks for your input, as always CG_TVF. :wink: