Ga-matchmaking. Yet another thread

Prev134
Sigge
5 posts Member
So some complaining
In my shard i meet only players with 500k more in gp. Needless to say i get totally wiped Every match. Of Course i did read EAs new rules of matchmaking, but this difference is just stupid.

How am i to compete with players with so much more depth and strength? It takes away all the supposed fun of the new arena, which is supposed to be the new main thing in the game.

Replies

• Options
    I agree. I am running into the same problem. I think I may have won a GA match once when the other player didn't bother to play, and that's it. It has made GA far and away the most frustrating and pointless part of the game
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Your shard?
  • Options
    I got creamed by a guy with 800k more GP. I get that it only pulls the top 60 or 80 for the match. But what that fails to consider is the far deeper roster the high GP player has over the low GP player to make any and all counters necessary, thereby providing far more flexibility in offensive attacking. Not to mention how much longer my opponent has been playing. There’s advantage in that as well when it comes to collecting mods over time.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Options
    Nothing has changed ..I know the Pain. All too well... matching for me has and still is very 1 sided. I have less Zetas, g12's, g13's. But I have more GP! GA and GAC has been a very sour experience. I'm more upset at the tons of cash I have spent trying to fix this. And even more spent prior to the game mode. So am going to shift to FTP..and spend my cash on a different game. This one has ruined the experience I was seeking. You win CG..I can't beat your beat your cash grab and it has been costly to keep up.
  • Options
    Same Boat. GA is no longer fun for me. I used to love strategizing against others. Now I can't even strategize as I'm forced to place two - three junk squads against others with insane depth. CG, your match making skills are awful. Until you create something that works for all I will not spends another penny. Hope you realize servicing all your 3 year old F2P players by taking away GP matching making is going to lose you players that help pay for new development.
  • Options
    Exactly. It's totally imbalanced.

I am facing a 'perfect' player: all most important characters GL12, all others, like 50 characters 7* level 1 with no investment. Perfect strategy to win Grand Arena: this is no doubt a second, new account that has very well calculated a winning strategy.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Kameleonic wrote: »

I am facing a 'perfect' player: all most important characters GL12, all others, like 50 characters 7* level 1 with no investment. Perfect strategy to win Grand Arena: this is no doubt a second, new account that has very well calculated a winning strategy.

“Oh no, my opponent planned well, this is unfair because I for some reason didn’t plan well!”
  • Options
    Interesting.

As I read this I'm seeing 2 different complaints.

Both screaming its unbalanced.

Does this mean its actually balanced?

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

This was the old complaint. Then they changed matchmaking to help the wider rosters. If you're still complaining you're probably just not very good.
  • Kilker
    31 posts Member
    Options
    The old matchmaking was too broad, taking too much into account. New matchmaking is too narrow, only looking at the assumed minimum characters needed. Maybe the next iteration will be something in between.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Final lesson: be careful what you wish for, CG might listen. We complained about marquee fatigue, so they bombarded us with legendaries instead. We complained about unfair matchmaking, so they made it even worse. Be very careful with any complaints you voice.
  • Options
    Kilker wrote: »
    The old matchmaking was too broad, taking too much into account. New matchmaking is too narrow, only looking at the assumed minimum characters needed. Maybe the next iteration will be something in between.

This.

It would definitely narrow possibilities of getting an opponent with e.g 20 G12 vs 50 G12 characters. Right now it happens too often and it's just impossible to win if you're matched like that. Had such situation in exhibition round and stand no chance of winning even though I had mods advantage but no matter how I would play I wouldn't win.

• DadKev
    314 posts Member
    Options
    Several people have destroyed teams with higher gp. Just work on your rosters and things will be fine.
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    But doesn't it stand to reason that your top 80 are your best? If you have every common ga team and counter, and they're in your top 80, you'll likely win on first attempt every battle. I know I do. The rest is irrelevant unless you fail.
    There aren't many other teams beyond that that can counter the standard ga teams, so what exactly do they have, beyond 80, that's bothering you?
  • Options
    DadKev wrote: »
    Several people have destroyed teams with higher gp. Just work on your rosters and things will be fine.

Funny. I won, all 4 out of 5 matches so far in GAC including current one. With all higher GP then mine, aprox 300-800k more then me each time, but being paired once with someone with 20 more G12 toons and malak along with them didn't give me even a tiny chances for a win. So stop talking such a crap.

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options

Funny. I won, all 4 out of 5 matches so far in GAC including current one. With all higher GP then mine, aprox 300-800k more then me each time, but being paired once with someone with 20 more G12 toons and malak along with them didn't give me even a tiny chances for a win. So stop talking such a crap.

Wut

Did you just try and say that you won with a lower GP and then also it was bad
  • Options
    Nihion wrote: »

Wut

Did you just try and say that you won with a lower GP and then also it was bad

What's your problem?

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Sigge wrote: »
    So some complaining
    In my shard i meet only players with 500k more in gp. Needless to say i get totally wiped Every match. Of Course i did read EAs new rules of matchmaking, but this difference is just stupid.

How am i to compete with players with so much more depth and strength? It takes away all the supposed fun of the new arena, which is supposed to be the new main thing in the game.
    Looking at raw GP v raw GP is misleading. Do this exercise: Go to your roster, sort by power, find the first character you have that's g9 and then total up all the GP of all the characters listed after them. Now look at your total character GP (Don't look at combined fleet+character GP, if you EVER look at those when talking about matchmaking nowadays you lose all credibility). Subtract the g9 characters' GP from your total, that's basically your real GP. I'm 2.6m, subtract my g9s and I'm 1.5m.
    Justokay wrote: »
    I got creamed by a guy with 800k more GP. I get that it only pulls the top 60 or 80 for the match. But what that fails to consider is the far deeper roster the high GP player has over the low GP player to make any and all counters necessary, thereby providing far more flexibility in offensive attacking. Not to mention how much longer my opponent has been playing. There’s advantage in that as well when it comes to collecting mods over time.

Roster depth doesn't just mean having a bunch of characters. Look above, almost half my GP is on characters that could Voltron into one big character and would still get wiped by a standard G12 autodeploy team.

Sure, I have a great collection, but I don't think the 13kgp Eeth Koth I worked on so I could unlock Grandmaster Yoda three years ago is really going to turn the tables, nor the 13kgp Tusken Shaman that was key to Rancor teams when that raid first came out and was hard.

When you think about the "depth" most players have past character #80, you're imagining we can set 8 strong defense teams and 16 strong offense teams. Take a look at it yourself, if you have a broad roster that's just not possible. THe problem you're imagining just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

So... Is your point that the system is working? Because it sounds like the system is working. You have an 80% win rate against "superior" (in the view of the OP) rosters. And that's.... Bad?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Versatti
    241 posts Member
    Options
    If you want to win, then you have to pay. It’s the unspoken rule for their end game content and it’s becoming more and more prevalent as they try to squeeze more and more money out of the player base.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Versatti wrote: »
    If you want to win, then you have to pay. It’s the unspoken rule for their end game content and it’s becoming more and more prevalent as they try to squeeze more and more money out of the player base.

I wonder why all the payers doesn't get auto-win then.
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Paying doesn't always give much advantage. Tactics, both in who you choose to gear and how you fill/attack the boards are the most important to winning GA. Also, those who pay to skip the line usually have much less time into modding.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    So... Is your point that the system is working? Because it sounds like the system is working. You have an 80% win rate against "superior" (in the view of the OP) rosters. And that's.... Bad?

It's any close to be working right. Ok my friend, I put a little effort to explain what I'm speaking about. Top 60 characters. If you can elaborate how this can be called properly working matchmaking I'll be truly blessed.

kpevm94heqlj.jpg

• YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    Options
    Kilker wrote: »

This. 100% this. CG Come and look at this.

Matchmaking should take into account the Minimum + x%. Something like 130%-150% of minimums.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    The achiles heel of the current system besides all qualm expressed is G13, it makes almost no difference at top X. So the situation will only get worse in the next season. We'll see 20 to 1-3 G13 matches.
  • Options
    Nic - I don’t think we’ll agree on depth. First, you’re wrong about how many are set. You go by the lower GP player’s deploy rules. So that means Top 60 vs Top 60 for me. And that’s about as deep as I go but I’m up against players in one and 2 Divisions better. If you have a good Top 80 as you say, then you have 4 more teams to play counters with. Second, it’s not the GP that matters, it’s the ability to be flexible with counters. Using effective counters is what balances SWGOH.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Justokay wrote: »
    Nic - I don’t think we’ll agree on depth. First, you’re wrong about how many are set. You go by the lower GP player’s deploy rules. So that means Top 60 vs Top 60 for me. And that’s about as deep as I go but I’m up against players in one and 2 Divisions better. If you have a good Top 80 as you say, then you have 4 more teams to play counters with. Second, it’s not the GP that matters, it’s the ability to be flexible with counters. Using effective counters is what balances SWGOH.

Did you ever think this is a call to increase your depth? The GA algo made many competetive players start to sandbag (which is a thing CG wants to avoid) but that was the call of that algo if one was to benefit from it. This one calls for other tactics, how long can you deny that?
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options

It's any close to be working right. Ok my friend, I put a little effort to explain what I'm speaking about. Top 60 characters. If you can elaborate how this can be called properly working matchmaking I'll be truly blessed.

kpevm94heqlj.jpg

It looks about the same to me, if that's the actual top# that the gp matched. The issue is simple, you have a lot more g12 in your top, but Not all are natively high gp toons. G12 rt for example is like equivalent to a g9 cls. whereas your opponent was more selective and only g12 key toons like damage dealers and tanks plus an arena team. Due to that, he likely has more zetas in his top#, and toons with natively higher total gp and better mods.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

This was the old complaint. Then they changed matchmaking to help the wider rosters. If you're still complaining you're probably just not very good.

Facts. Nobody wants to hear facts though. They want to win first place without trying.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options

Post your ally code and your opponenet's ally code and I'll explain how
  • Options
    not sure what you mean. Obviously I do that. And obviously my teams are good if I’m matched against people that are all one or two divisions higher. No one else in my division is in my grand arena. We all have comparable top 60. But the daylight starts when we get to top 70 and really comes apart at top 80. So they have flexibility to play counters.