I reached out to EA support, and they directed me to share with y'all

Prev1345
st3ck
1 posts Member
edited October 2019
Hello everyone. I'm st3ck and I am here to give you a big wall of text that may mimic some of y'alls situations. I'm not looking for any type of sympathy, because quite frankly, I'm mad, and your sympathy means nothing to me right now.

What I would like is if this is given enough attention that those with power and influence are able to notice that this Malak Resolution is just flat out not acceptable. If I was able to, I would have just copied the text from my conversation with deepak at EA customer service (shoutout, that agent was on point, wasn't able to resolve my frustrations, but was a general pleasure to talk with), but alas, I am left to my own devices in an attempt to convey my point of view and why I'm feel like I'm being taken advantage of for this Malak Resolution.

I, like many of you (or not many, I honestly don't know what the representation of the playerbase is like here on the forums), did not unlock Malak the first time. But I was able to unlock him the second time with much celebration. I mean, it's Darth Malak! A super monster extraordinaire embodiment of dark side power, heck yea! I've been using my guild event currency to unlock him and from the past TB, was at around 7k currency, and was 15/100 on Malak. Like everyone else here, we've never experienced an epic confrontation for the third time. So when I opened up the 'ol galaxy of heroes app to see what daily fortunes might bring, I went on over to the events tab to see if I could replay the Starforge event. Oh nice! It was there and it didn't have my star count from the last time, I wonder if it --- NICE! it says it gives malak shards!

Heck yea CG! This is an awesome surprise! Way to throw us a bone in the wake of another epic confrontation event character that competes for the same currency! Smart, first two events don't reward shards, third one does. So you can either have it 7* before the 3rd event, or you can get it second round, and 7* the 3rd event. Seemed like a really cool idea for a catchup mechanic to help all those struggling to keep rosters relevant.

Well, lets go ahead and do one of these events, grab the last 10 shards from the store, and get my Malak all geared up and ready for the new TW. (Random sidenote backstory, I'm a 30 year old student working 2 jobs for a pre mid life career change, also have grown up with star wars and been a massive fan, first star wars movie was return of the jedi at about 5 years old) I've got a few thousand crystals saved, and I have that big fat $200 gift card I've been sitting on waiting for some spicy "content". I fired a wad a bit early to stockpile some goodies that would be annoying to farm. And earlier today after getting 75 malak shards, went ahead and did some very impatient pro gaming plays in the following order: refresh shop off of the 5 shard malak to the 10 shard malak purchase. (shop refresh was in like an hour, I have low impulse control). 7 star that hot piece of sith! Wooooo! Shortly there-after, realize I don't have the missing few gear pieces. Well ok, I have some 3thousandish crystals and a big chunk of a giftcard, screw it, this is what it's for right? Well 8000 some crystals later and my giftcard mysteriously disappearing, my malak is g12, has a fancy g12 piece on him, and is just downright stunning if I do say so myself. (Your malak is also stunning).

Nice! well, now that my gear is gone, maybe I should go for the other 75 shards so I can replenish some blue currency. I didn't get it first try, or second, and then the client restarted. There was an announcement on login that the shards were a bug and that I should check the forums. Uhhh, ok? This isn't sounding good.

Well here I am. Your proposed fix is basically counterintuitive to the entire reason I spent any money on this game in the last 7 days. This is pretty frustrating that your fix is going to be to give me back my malak from the night before the event, but not give me back my money or crystals from the night before the event. If this is ultimately the route y'all (CG) wind up taking, I will be beyond disappointed, and unreasonably upset at what feels like a blatant disregard for your paying loyal fanbase.

Sometimes in business you make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are actually to the betterment of your community, their experience, and their business. I think this is one of those mistakes that may just be an ok one to embrace as a feature of epic confrontations. It saves y'all some face, it lets the players feel valued, it helps alleviate the progressively more and more strenuous gear mechanics by briefly freeing up guild event tokens for gear if you're patient enough to work with something not fully maxed, and ultimately it'll leave us, the players, with a good feeling.

And we could all use a little bit more good feelings.

If you managed to make it this far, thank you for reading this. I have done my best to keep this post free of rage and hatered, because I believe that CG will do what is right for me, and what is right for you, and NOT go through with this "resolution". I am indeed very angry, but I there is a saying about a stick and honey, or a carrot and a stick. I don't know how it goes, but we could all benefit from being a little nicer to each other.

TLDR; Got malak 7* from event, spent money and crystals, saw bug announcement, contacted EA support, am here sharing story, say NO to Malak Resolution 10/19

EDIT: Thank you everyone for the responses, it's good to see all the input and similar situations. Spread the word and keep visibility. Sorry for those that are laughing at others misfortunes, not a nice thing to do.
Post edited by st3ck on

Replies

• Options
    Dude, thank you. You are upset and should be, but you told your story with some nicely sprinkled humor.

You are a perfect example why people who already had a 7 star malak should have received 57000 GET. All players who were able to 7 star him should also be compensated for the shards they purchased with GET.

Gear grind alleviated and most of us would have 7 star malak so our focus could turn to hoarding for GAS.

Final note, I am one of the ones who already had 7 star Malak.
  • Options
    miketo wrote: »
    Dude, thank you. You are upset and should be, but you told your story with some nicely sprinkled humor.

You are a perfect example why people who already had a 7 star malak should have received 57000 GET. All players who were able to 7 star him should also be compensated for the shards they purchased with GET.

Gear grind alleviated and most of us would have 7 star malak so our focus could turn to hoarding for GAS.

Final note, I am one of the ones who already had 7 star Malak.

I agree with this 💯. I am in an identical boat to the OP. Spent roughly ~$150 after waking up at 7AM for work and playing the Malak event again (I got him the 2nd go round). I was 0/100. I replayed and won shards. Was
    Super excited and appreciative because I though CG awarded shards to elevate the crazy GET1 crunch. I agree that people with 7* Malak should get their GET1 tokens back. They do. But rolling back is just not right, and you all know it.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that your spent money for crystal and gear, but it said on the event that Malak shards are only rewarded for the first time you complete the event. I knew there was something wrong with it when it didn't show my star count from the previous times playing the event and you and the rest of the people that didn't yet have a 7* Malak should have realized that as well.

There was no way in hell that CG would just give away 57k GET worth of shards to all the people who picked up Malak last time as that's a huge slap in the face to all those who saved months worth of GET to take ours from 5* to 7*.

You were impatient and tried to take advantage of an obvious bug to give you some leg-up in GAC/TW/Arena and now are offended that they wouldn't let you do that. Cry me a river and take some responsibility for your own actions. You could have easily waited to make sure that this "awesome surprise" was really what CG had intended before you used your gift cards and crystals.
  • Options
    Another problem I have is that they are screwing over people that didn't happen to have the 7* malak by denying them the 2,250 shard shop currency. I have a 7* malak, and got the shard shop currency. I'm happy for myself. My friend was 30 shards short of 7* and will lose out on the 2,250 shard shop currency. That's kind of a **** move for him, because his only crime was not hoarding the GET like I did. I feel that everyone should get the 2,250 shard shop currency if you had malak unlocked prior to this event.

CG, please just give people their malak shards and everyone will be happy.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Another problem I have is that they are screwing over people that didn't happen to have the 7* malak by denying them the 2,250 shard shop currency. I have a 7* malak, and got the shard shop currency. I'm happy for myself. My friend was 30 shards short of 7* and will lose out on the 2,250 shard shop currency. That's kind of a **** move for him, because his only crime was not hoarding the GET like I did. I feel that everyone should get the 2,250 shard shop currency if you had malak unlocked prior to this event.

CG, please just give people their malak shards and everyone will be happy.

Not everyone will happy if they let the malak shards stay... anyone who got him the hard way will be PIST and should be.

As far as the shard currency goes, it's really so minuscule, it's not game changing for anyone.
  • Options
    @evoluza
    Ooooh. You what free stuff others grinded and payed for. Absolutely reasonable for you to assume cg should screw all the first event finishers and spread free shards later. That's also in line with any progression system in every grindy mobilegame.
    I don't know what rided cg there for that REALLY Bad change.
    Not focused players should be able to get stuff way cheaper then focused players.

This is what ALWAYS happens in SWGOH. Most of the time I'm a bit behind the meta, but not much (I'm a long-time player, FtP for the past 3 years, but spent a bit at the beginning) because I've devoted a long time to playing this game and building my inventory.

One of the characters I spent (crystals, not cash) for was Nest. I 7*d that bad woman almost immediately. Then 3 months later she got a fleet node, and without spending any crystals at all, people could use their free fleet energy to bring her up to 7* in just 5-6 more months.

Imagine! I spent money and got Nest almost immediately and then the less-focussed players got Nest for free! It's an outrage!

...or that's just exactly how this and every other grindy game works. They know you're not going to pay $500 to get the meta toon from 2 years ago who's just average now. It's actually in their interest to let you catch up a bit so that you're close enough to spend a couple hundred bucks to get the latest meta toon. If you're only that far behind, it might seem reasonable to spend $200 or for some people even $500. But if it's going to be $10k because you're that far behind the meta and can't catch up, then you're going to spend nothing at all.

They WANT you to feel like you're just behind the meta, that you're ]this[ close. That if you just spend a little bit, you'd really start crushing it. That's the temptation that earns them the most money.

So you're wrong. The folks behind the curve will always get things cheaper, just like other players got Nest much more cheaply than I did. It is the way of the game. It's built into the game. It's how the game has operated for years.

• Options
    I'm in the same boat too minus the money spent. I'm ftp and have kids that need diapers so no money for the game. However, that doesn't make their fox right.

The only acceptable answer is to let those that got malak this way keep him. Anything else is bait and switch.

They can refund get to those that spent it on malak. I spent enough to get 30 of 100 so I'd take the 43k in get if they gave it. But I don't feel entitled to that. Making a character eventually easier to get after newer meta toons were released is nothing new and I understand that others that don't have him because they started later, need to catch up.

But posting a reward in an event and then taking it away and then offering an insult of 250 crystals is unacceptable.
  • Options
    @evoluza

You're the one who expressed surprise that people who lag in the game get something more cheaply than people who got it immediately.

I don't know why you're surprised. That's the way it always is.
  • Options
    evoluza wrote: »
    Ooooh. You what free stuff others grinded and payed for. Absolutely reasonable for you to assume cg should screw all the first event finishers and spread free shards later. That's also in line with any progression system in every grindy mobilegame.
    Not focused players should be able to get stuff way cheaper then focused players.

Early marquee owners pay hundreds of dollars for a new character, a second group do triple refreshes to rush an event, a third group just farms for free.

Should the first and second groups get compensation always? No, you want early access you pay extra for it. That’s how it always is, that’s what you pay for, early access, not the character itself.
  • Options
    Geshtianna wrote: »

Early marquee owners pay hundreds of dollars for a new character, a second group do triple refreshes to rush an event, a third group just farms for free.

Should the first and second groups get compensation always? No, you want early access you pay extra for it. That’s how it always is, that’s what you pay for, early access, not the character itself.

Exactly that's why they should just let this ride.
  • Options
    @evoluza
    It's not the way these events take after the 3 time. Ride the context boi

1st, I'm not a "boi" or a "boy" or a "man". This is just you not understanding the difference between what you know and what you assume.

2nd, there has never been one of "these events" to get a third appearance until today, so your context is ... some fantasy in your brain? How do you know what these events are "supposed" to be like if they haven't happened before?

Oh yeah, that's right. You don't understand the difference between what you know and what you assume. Forgot that bit for a moment.

3rd, even if you want to compare it to other events, those other event toons always eventually gave you enough shards to get the toon to 7*. Always.

So if you want to go on the evidence of how Epic Confrontations work, you have no evidence. If you want to magically appeal to the "context" of other events, the evidence exists ... but is actually against you.

This thing where you try to argue your point? I'm not sure if you are very skilled at it. Perhaps you should take a break from doing it in public where you might embarrass yourself, at least until you get a bit better?
  • Options
    @evoluza
    It's not the way these events take after the 3 time. Ride the context boi

1st, I'm not a "boi" or a "boy" or a "man". This is just you not understanding the difference between what you know and what you assume.

2nd, there has never been one of "these events" to get a third appearance until today, so your context is ... some fantasy in your brain? How do you know what these events are "supposed" to be like if they haven't happened before?

Oh yeah, that's right. You don't understand the difference between what you know and what you assume. Forgot that bit for a moment.

3rd, even if you want to compare it to other events, those other event toons always eventually gave you enough shards to get the toon to 7*. Always.

So if you want to go on the evidence of how Epic Confrontations work, you have no evidence. If you want to magically appeal to the "context" of other events, the evidence exists ... but is actually against you.

This thing where you try to argue your point? I'm not sure if you are very skilled at it. Perhaps you should take a break from doing it in public where you might embarrass yourself, at least until you get a bit better?

Nice. Well said
  • Machinist
    192 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Geshtianna wrote: »

Hundreds?? Dude... thousands. Trust me.
  • Options
    Why are people mad that CG removed their "free shards"? It was a bug and you didn't deserve them. Farm him like everyone else who did it legitimately. If you already spent gear on him, you'll get all that gear back so you don't lose anything. If you spent money on him already, that's unfortunate, but you can just go to Google or Apple and make them refund all the money you spent. You have all rights to claim this refund and they WILL give you back your money. They always do. I've played a ton of other games and in those games similar situations happened, but Apple and Google always ended up refunding if you explained the situation.
  • Skiddlydiddly
    129 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It's CG's mistake. The least they should do is to return accounts back to where they were and reimburse crystal purchases ie give the money back.
    If they don't do that, then leave the accounts as they are and give everyone who got malak the regular way their GET currency back.

In regular business, companies have to suck it up sometimes.
  • Options
    I didnt get in on the exploit before they patched it.... :(

Can I also get a free 7 star malak upgrade.

Thanks CG.
  • Options
    It's CG's mistake. The least they should do is to return accounts back to where they were and reimburse crystal purchases ie give the money back.
    If they don't do that, then leave the accounts as they are and give everyone who got malak the regular way their GET currency back.

In regular business, companies have to suck it up sometimes.

This is the best route in my opinion. Either full revert so no one is out of pocket (bar time) or refund GET to those who did it the regular way.
  • Options
    I took advantage of the bug, I asked about a week ago (when the event popped up in the in game tab) why is it listing shards as a reward and why is it even popping up? I unlocked him second time around, so wasn’t sure if it was meant to or not. Kudos to cg for quality control again!
    Anyone who used the ‘bug’ is going to lose the 7* malak, fair enough, no one is actually further behind than they were, so no harm no foul there..

my issue is what else are they going to break when they do the roll back? How many posts are there going to be where ea support tell you to post in the forum as they ‘can’t’ help... funny how cg break something and can roll back when they want to do it, but if something else goes wrong they can’t do anything..
  • Options
    Yeah it's incredible how fast they can fix things when it'll cost them money. On a Friday too.
  • Mol9961
    71 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    All I will say is if I were in charge at cg I would operate much differently. There has been nothing but bad news coming out for about 6 months now. I hope that they can take this as a wake up call and realize they have become a little too greedy. We all make mistakes, but hopefully this is the mistake to open their eyes
  • Options
    Mol9961 wrote: »
    All I will say is if I were in charge at cg I would operate much differently. There has been nothing but bad news coming out for about 6 months now. I hope that they can take this as a wake up call and realize they have become a little too greedy. We all make mistakes, but hopefully this is the mistake to open their eyes

They will open their eyes when many f2p player leave game and so whales don't have to buy like a whales because they will be alone in game and have no concurrency.
  • Options
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I took advantage of the bug, I asked about a week ago (when the event popped up in the in game tab) why is it listing shards as a reward and why is it even popping up? I unlocked him second time around, so wasn’t sure if it was meant to or not. Kudos to cg for quality control again!
    Anyone who used the ‘bug’ is going to lose the 7* malak, fair enough, no one is actually further behind than they were, so no harm no foul there..

my issue is what else are they going to break when they do the roll back? How many posts are there going to be where ea support tell you to post in the forum as they ‘can’t’ help... funny how cg break something and can roll back when they want to do it, but if something else goes wrong they can’t do anything..

Other than people using their valuable time to do it. There is no way I do the event again without the shard shop reward being there, period. Maybe everyone should invoice their time to CG because I can tell you that my time is worth a lot more than 250 crystals and it's time that they wasted with their mistake by pulling an illegal bait and switch. You advertise one thing, for a week no less, and then when people actually get that thing you've advertised you go, oh wait no, that's not what we meant, here's some peanuts instead...

Dog act.
  • Options
    When is this rollback happening? Seems like it’ll be more difficult and damaging to the player base with every passing second.

I unlocked Malak yesterday for the first time. Got the normal amount of shards for 5* unlock. Spent gear, zetas, etc on him and then read about this “mistake” from CG. So they’re taking my Malak and giving me back 250 crystals of the 2000 or so I spent on gear? Meanwhile it’s the weekend and more folks are gearing and enhancing their Malaks and may not have noticed the pop up (I typically close them without reading) or visited the forums.

Gonna be a sad Monday for many SWGOH players. And possibly their last Monday being SWGOH players.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    wogitalia wrote: »
    Damodamo wrote: »

Other than people using their valuable time to do it. There is no way I do the event again without the shard shop reward being there, period. Maybe everyone should invoice their time to CG because I can tell you that my time is worth a lot more than 250 crystals and it's time that they wasted with their mistake by pulling an illegal bait and switch. You advertise one thing, for a week no less, and then when people actually get that thing you've advertised you go, oh wait no, that's not what we meant, here's some peanuts instead...

Dog act.

Can you please explain the bait and switch?

Are you referring to the rewards that stated "first time rewards" as they were advertised??
  • Options
    You were impatient and tried to take advantage of an obvious bug to give you some leg-up in GAC/TW/Arena and now are offended that they wouldn't let you do that. Cry me a river and take some responsibility for your own actions. You could have easily waited to make sure that this "awesome surprise" was really what CG had intended before you used your gift cards and crystals.

.....ya because as a player of this game I’m now also responsible for quality control. Maybe they could put me on the payroll since that’s now a player requirement lol. The dudes post was pretty genuine and non combative, regardless of whether you agree, you didn’t have to pull the “cry me a river” ****. Not everyone assumes worst intent, the developers fu*ked up so maybe you could direct the “responsibility of your actions” advice to the ones truly at fault and the root of this whole conundrum...CG. They made bank of this, and many lose their rewards and they lose nothing.