Something has to be done about the Arena lockout (suggestions welcome)

Prev13
Pyramidshawn
871 posts Member
edited March 2016
As we all know, players like to lock down the top spots by remaining in combat perpetually until payout time. This is becoming more prevalent as the level of competition catches up and there are tens or people vying for those spots at the same time.

My idea is both
A- Reward the player for the highest rank they achieved throughout the day and
B- Drastically reduce the payout so it doesn't hurt EA/CG in the long run and people continue to purchase crystals etc.

Whether you agree with me or not, I think most people who are in this situation of spamming combat and timing refreshes would like a resolution to this problem.
Post edited by BentWookiee on

Replies

• Options
    I agree that it is frustrating and something must be done. I'm not sure that the highest rank per day is best, as it's pretty easy to win #1 at some point during off-hours, especially if no one is defending.

In the absence of some sort of MMR system, I'd suggest that everyone's Arena payout is set randomly between 15 minutes before and after the payout time (different for each person, and changes each day). There will still be people defending (and you may not be able to get your #1 spot each day because of it), but you won't have the problem with people basically locking up #1 from 10+ minutes prior to payout each day.
  • Options
    i'm ok with it

i'd love to know WHEN i'm getting attacked tho and the ones getting attacked (like a red dot or something)

or be able to see the live attack of who's attacking me
  • Options
    another whining little baby,

if you can't compete just delete the game.

If everyone wins whats the point of the game.

you must put some effort to win like me son.

wink wink
  • Pyramidshawn
    871 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    if you can't compete just delete the game.

Too bad I have been first every single day since I can remember. Unfortunately, I have been reduced to fighting fire with fire and I am better at it than my peers. That being said, I still don't enjoy sitting at my phone intently with my trigger finger ready.

The problem is that you can be sniped by the person in 5th, which would drop your crystal earnings from 500 to 300 for the day (40% decrease).

It is a flawed system.
  • Options
    This is how the system works. The game wants players to login in from 5-6pm every day and fight each other.
    If they reward players who got #1 anytime in a day that will be too easy.
    The player at #1 can secure the top spot till payout time, but you could do the same thing to him. It all depends on how fast you press that button down and how confident you are to beat the team with the shortest amount of time available.
  • Options
    Luke6108 wrote: »
    This is how the system works. The game wants players to login in from 5-6pm every day and fight each other.
    The player at #1 can secure the top spot till payout time, but you could do the same thing to him. It all depends on how fast you press that button down and how confident you are to beat the team with the shortest amount of time available.

No offence but you spend a lot of time to say absolutely nothing
  • Options
    It is kind of annoying to be locked out. When I go to play the game, I want to actually play. I don't want to wait while someone holds me in battle to save their spot or whatever. We only have so many battles, and we only have so much time. 'Oh that's just the way it is, compete... blah blah blah.' Yeah, I do. And it's annoying. Especially if you spend crystals to refresh but they didn't tell you your team was being fought or locked into battle. I've yet to spend crystals, but I have read that complaint often enough, and I agree.
  • Options
    I like the current system.
    Yes it is frustrating, but it is fair. You have to spend crystals most of the time to lock out others, so it is not free.
    There is probably only one imbalance.
    If you face 15 others for your 6pm, while others have their 6pm spot without challengers on the same server.
  • numore
    40 posts Member
    Options
    The current system is flawed. I think the ranking system should be different, like the more you win the more points you have on the ranking and so on. They can give you a some sort of price each day if you stay in top5-10-20-etc. and then at the end of the season, the one who got the more points gets awarded with some sort of price. And also you should be able to fight as many battles as you want and the battles should be against online players
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    The current system is fair. We don't even have to combat every single player on our server to be number 1. We just have to battle a select few.

If you can't be on at the prize time to win the rank, I am sorry. That is just how the system operates.

The only suggestion I would enjoy is a real pvp combat. Until then, I am okay with the current incarnation.
  • Simda
    151 posts Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no risk for number 1 to challenge number 3. This is a problem because there is no downside at 5:54pm.
  • Options
    They probs won't change it because payout time causes a massive crystal sink.
    Tekken 7
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    The current system is fair.

By the very definition, it is not fair.

You have people like Cosmicturtle setting his phone to new zealand time to eliminate having any competition at his payout time, while people in PST and EST are facing gangs of people trying to climb the ranks in their alloted window.

P.S. EA/CG knows this is a problem and why this post will most likely be erased
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options

You have people like Cosmicturtle setting his phone to new zealand time to eliminate having any competition at his payout time, while people in PST and EST are facing gangs of people trying to climb the ranks in their alloted window.

LOL
  • Options
    I usually rank 1 on my server and yet I agree something needs to be done to change how rewards are distributed, better yet how arena pvp works as a whole.

Perhaps players can choose daily from different tiers of rewards. 3rd tier would be the lowest reward, based on the highest ranking you were able to achieve for that day.
    2nd is how it is now, basically sniping against ai.
    1st and highest rewards are for true player vs player.
  • Options
    Top 10 on my shard rarely changes, can't remember the last time I had to use more than 3 battles to secure first. The time of day is annoying though as I have to sneak on at work hah.

They should have a weekly rank, prizing the guys who have spent the most time at #1, this would encourage more out of hours battles and really shake up the top groups.
  • Options
    HUSKARL wrote: »
    They should have a weekly rank, prizing the guys who have spent the most time at #1, this would encourage more out of hours battles and really shake up the top groups.

That is an interesting idea. I like it, though it makes more business sense for them to keep it a daily thing.
  • Options

Huh. I guess they aren't real people down there. No one really exists/lives on the Australian CONTINENT or the surrounding islands/countries. Good one. Listen, if you're trying to make a point, try not being so ridiculous or extreme.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    M9silent wrote: »

Huh. I guess they aren't real people down there. No one really exists/lives on the Australian CONTINENT or the surrounding islands/countries. Good one. Listen, if you're trying to make a point, try not being so ridiculous or extreme.
    Cosmicturtle does not even go for rank 1 currently 172 . That's a lot of hassle for what 70 crystals lol
  • Pyramidshawn
    871 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I meant that single post will be deleted like the countless others concerning how to rig your phone during installation to get an optimal payout time.

() edit
    Post edited by FashionFett on
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Simply put the rank swap needs to go!!!

There needs to be a points system that determines rank, you gain and lose points based on your wins and losses...

The current system restricts when you can play the arena with the lockout caused by the rank swap! Which in my view is one of the most intellectually **** decisions made! You make a game for people to play, not a game for people to WAIT! who the heck came up with that idea?!?!
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • M9silent
    821 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Right. Im the one who looks dumb because I pointed out how RIDICULOUS you're being with some posts. Again, good one. Despite actually agreeing the system could use fixing.

PS: I know all about time zones. Thanks anyways. Currently moving from MST to EST, 2 hour difference. Add in daylight savings, and my arena is now paying out at 9 for me, though 6 (7w/ dlst) server.

Anyways, I'm done here. This argument isn't on topic, and not worth my time.
    Post edited by FashionFett on
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

I knew nobody actually lived in New Zealand!
  • Options

Harden up mate.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Luke6108 wrote: »

No offence but you spend a lot of time to say absolutely nothing

Well, then go ahead and delete your post. Nobody forces to play Arena. Stop being a whining boy and wasting you time here to say absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Seems that you took Offence
  • Options
    Defensive AI isn't smart enough to win battles. Most people are running fairly similar teams in the top pay out brackets. The fights are not coming down to who has the better battle strategy or team composition, instead it is coming down to manipulation of the timer near payout. Engaging someone in a battle at the six minute mark before payout, kill off 4 of their toons and leave the last one standing for 3 or 4 mins, then Kill the last one in the last few seconds of the battle. If it's timed right it prevents anyone from engaging you in battle and you secure your spot.
    This isn't the type of competitive battling that is indicative of the gamers actual strategy.
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/08/engagement-is-the-new-arpdau-and-dau/
    The comments on engagement are spot on. The people I have seen comment on arena issues tend not to be asking for free rewards, instead they are asking for a focus on gamer experience. Unfortunately gamer experience is often at ends with bottom lines.
    I would like to see something that turns away from the area timing schedule, something that maybe rewards people for holding a position, or for how many battles they won, how far they climbed up the ladder, etc.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    The fights are not coming down to who has the better battle strategy or team composition, instead it is coming down to manipulation of the timer near payout. Engaging someone in a battle at the six minute mark before payout, kill off 4 of their toons and leave the last one standing for 3 or 4 mins, then Kill the last one in the last few seconds of the battle. If it's timed right it prevents anyone from engaging you in battle and you secure your spot.

This isn't the type of competitive battling that is indicative of the gamers actual strategy.

All it is

I would prefer an arena where the fights are the challenge, not clock management.
  • Trevor
    102 posts Member
    Options
    I disagree

It is good as it is now dont reduce payout
    It would move payout battles to reset time at midnight so better would be only opportunity to defend your spot instead of al

But then playing time should be reduced to 2:40 for each player to make their moves
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Defensive AI isn't smart enough to win battles. Most people are running fairly similar teams in the top pay out brackets. The fights are not coming down to who has the better battle strategy or team composition, instead it is coming down to manipulation of the timer near payout. Engaging someone in a battle at the six minute mark before payout, kill off 4 of their toons and leave the last one standing for 3 or 4 mins, then Kill the last one in the last few seconds of the battle. If it's timed right it prevents anyone from engaging you in battle and you secure your spot.
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/08/engagement-is-the-new-arpdau-and-dau/
    The comments on engagement are spot on. The people I have seen comment on arena issues tend not to be asking for free rewards, instead they are asking for a focus on gamer experience. Unfortunately gamer experience is often at ends with bottom lines.
    I would like to see something that turns away from the area timing schedule, something that maybe rewards people for holding a position, or for how many battles they won, how far they climbed up the ladder, etc.

This is exactly right. For anyone competing in the top ten, it is not about game or battle strategy, but more about trying to guess when someone else is fighting. It is about time management and knowing when to refresh.
    Empire Relic