Negativity towards Jedi Luke reveal

Prev13
Ok, I get it. There are ongoing issues with this game, such as cheating and how the community is treated, but let’s take a step back and look at this all for a moment.

We wanted puzzles and interactions from the devs, and crumb gave us a whopper. It was exciting to see the community all interacting and engaging again and give us something to look forward to. On top of that, the man was active in the discussion during the solving on discord, and seriously - what a reveal! This is something that a lot of people have been waiting years for. Heck, it’s the reason I got this game all those years ago.

With all that being said, I don’t understand why people turned sour upon finding out that we are getting (in my opinion) the best version of Luke. As I said, everyone was excited with the puzzle, but as soon as it was all over, the negativity resumed and the (again, in my opinion) awesome video got downvoted beyond belief.

I understand that people may be frustrated as there is a lot up in the air right now, but it looks like this is going to be an enjoyable event. The wording in the video leads me to believe this will be a heroes journey, playing through the events of Empire, rather than a GL; CG have also said that GLs would be released in pairs.

Can we all just take a step back, breath, and appreciate that while things aren’t perfect at the minute, we’re getting Jedi freaking Luke!

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Had this come before the RA got delayed, or had they commented on the whole mess around Ahnald, or had they teased some new playable content as well as a character with (probably) insane requirements, I think the reaction would be quite different.
    Another thing is the "Jedi Luke = end of the game" thing, which I don't think has actual basis in any official statement but is pretty widespread anyway.
  • Options
    Going by the constructions delay post, they intended to reveal a huge character. This was communicated to us and posted before things got out of hand.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/229551/road-ahead-construction-delays#latest

Remember as well, there is also new content planned and lots of behind the scenes fixes ongoing, so I don’t believe this is the end of the game, but the start of a new chapter (hopefully a positive one).

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Had this come before the RA got delayed, or had they commented on the whole mess around Ahnald, or had they teased some new playable content as well as a character with (probably) insane requirements, I think the reaction would be quite different.
    Another thing is the "Jedi Luke = end of the game" thing, which I don't think has actual basis in any official statement but is pretty widespread anyway.

The RA was supposed to be released at the same time, but it didnt get cleared in time (they were both supposed to go out on Friday)
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

The RA was supposed to be released at the same time, but it didnt get cleared in time (they were both supposed to go out on Friday)

In my opinion, the main thing now is that it is coming (hopefully tomorrow) and we had something AWESOME in the meantime, as well as interaction from the devs.

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

I see. Too bad it didn't pan out, at least some of the negativity could have been avoided.
  • VaderB1
    146 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Ok, I get it. There are ongoing issues with this game, such as cheating and how the community is treated, but let’s take a step back and look at this all for a moment.

We wanted puzzles and interactions from the devs, and crumb gave us a whopper. It was exciting to see the community all interacting and engaging again and give us something to look forward to. On top of that, the man was active in the discussion during the solving on discord, and seriously - what a reveal! This is something that a lot of people have been waiting years for. Heck, it’s the reason I got this game all those years ago.

With all that being said, I don’t understand why people turned sour upon finding out that we are getting (in my opinion) the best version of Luke. As I said, everyone was excited with the puzzle, but as soon as it was all over, the negativity resumed and the (again, in my opinion) awesome video got downvoted beyond belief.

I understand that people may be frustrated as there is a lot up in the air right now, but it looks like this is going to be an enjoyable event. The wording in the video leads me to believe this will be a heroes journey, playing through the events of Empire, rather than a GL; CG have also said that GLs would be released in pairs.

Can we all just take a step back, breath, and appreciate that while things aren’t perfect at the minute, we’re getting Jedi freaking Luke!

Why things turned sour?

People want to be able to play this game, but we are still playing the same tired old game modes we have for years.

TW is still the exact same mode it was the day they rolled it out, GAC is essentially the same only in an extended format.

The TBs are the TBs, same combat battles, same special missions, the enemies have changed slightly and the LS Geo TB is a cancer, still as difficult as the day it rolled out.

The arenas have never changed, the meta changed, because all they have cared about since the Sith raid dropped has been character development.

Galactic War is simmed, omega battles simmed, assault battles are a chore to many until you get to the challenge tiers, and only challenge tier 2 is especially difficult.

I whaled on Greef and Mando, an outside of TW and GAC and one assault battle I have no where to use them.

People are fed up with PVE content, and to add insult to injury, the integrity of pvp has been severly damaged with the evidence of EA negotiating with cheaters.

That hurts our crystal income and without crystal income the only option is to try and pay.

After the last q&a they let us know that none of what we wanted was coming, and made a vague reference to some new character and something that the entire playerbase will be able to interact with, only to turn around and delay the road ahead that was supposed to come out in May.

The road ahead talks about whats coming, if they aren't even in a position to TELL US whats coming, then whats coming is still months away.

An after the issues with Ahnold and cheating, they bring us Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, who probably won't even have the Jedi tag, because as they said in the Q&A about Rey, they can't give out that tag, because Jedi Knight Revans Jedi leadership is OP broken.

An now instead of getting any new PLAYABLE content, we get to pay for JKL.

I sincerely hope the Road Ahead drops tomorrow and its something special, because I can't see myself deploying my 6 million GP roster through that TB again.
  • VaderB1
    146 posts Member
    Options

The Road Ahead was supposed to drop 2 days ago?
  • Options
    VaderB1 wrote: »

Why things turned sour?

People want to be able to play this game, but we are still playing the same tired old game modes we have for years.

TW is still the exact same mode it was the day they rolled it out, GAC is essentially the same only in an extended format.

The TBs are the TBs, same combat battles, same special missions, the enemies have changed slightly and the LS Geo TB is a cancer, still as difficult as the day it rolled out.

The arenas have never changed, the meta changed, because all they have cared about since the Sith raid dropped has been character development.

Galactic War is simmed, omega battles simmed, assault battles are a chore to many until you get to the challenge tiers, and only challenge tier 2 is especially difficult.

I whaled on Greef and Mando, an outside of TW and GAC and one assault battle I have no where to use them.

People are fed up with PVE content, and to add insult to injury, the integrity of pvp has been severly damaged with the evidence of EA negotiating with cheaters.

That hurts our crystal income and without crystal income the only option is to try and pay.

After the last q&a they let us know that none of what we wanted was coming, and made a vague reference to some new character and something that the entire playerbase will be able to interact with, only to turn around and delay the road ahead that was supposed to come out in May.

The road ahead talks about whats coming, if they aren't even in a position to TELL US whats coming, then whats coming is still months away.

An after the issues with Ahnold and cheating, they bring us Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, who probably won't even have the Jedi tag, because as they said in the Q&A about Rey, they can't give out that tag, because Jedi Knight Revans Jedi leadership is OP broken.

I sincerely hope the Road Ahead drops tomorrow and its something special, because I can't see myself deploying my 6 million GP roster through that TB again.

You’ve made some good points here, but there are a couple of things that I’m struggling to get on board with.

The game is what it is right now, and you’ve criticised all of the game modes; if you don’t enjoy any of them, then why bother? I love the content we currently have, as it entertains me daily, but of course I think there are improvements to be made. Going back to my original post though, should that effect anyone’s excitement for one of the most iconic characters joining the holotables?

Also, a lot of the points you’ve made about Luke are pure speculation. Rey doesn’t have the Jedi tag, but she is a GL. Maybe Luke won’t be a GL, but could be a viable counter if he has the Jedi tag. I really don’t think that he’s going to be this huge paywall that’s everyone is expecting. Even back when CLS was released, his requirements were nothing compared to other paywalled characters.

The point that I’m trying to make here, is regardless of when, how and why - surely people are excited to finally get this character?
  • Dethjin
    75 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I just cannot understand these events where everyone cannot participate. It was during nighttime for EU, and it was over before morning. No notice or anything upfront AGAIN...
  • Options
    the reason i am negative towards the release is because I want some actual content not just another meta character cashgrab. the game needs some quality of life updates before they start cashgrabbing imo. give people the sandbox test mode and a couple other features and then theres no real problem with releasing jedi luke. but in the current state of the game its shame on ea/cg imo
  • Options

Why things turned sour?

You’ve made some good points here, but there are a couple of things that I’m struggling to get on board with.

The game is what it is right now, and you’ve criticised all of the game modes; if you don’t enjoy any of them, then why bother? I love the content we currently have, as it entertains me daily, but of course I think there are improvements to be made. Going back to my original post though, should that effect anyone’s excitement for one of the most iconic characters joining the holotables?

Also, a lot of the points you’ve made about Luke are pure speculation. Rey doesn’t have the Jedi tag, but she is a GL. Maybe Luke won’t be a GL, but could be a viable counter if he has the Jedi tag. I really don’t think that he’s going to be this huge paywall that’s everyone is expecting. Even back when CLS was released, his requirements were nothing compared to other paywalled characters.

The point that I’m trying to make here, is regardless of when, how and why - surely people are excited to finally get this character?

I think everyone wants to see Jedi Luke in the game in the abstract (He's certainly been my white whale). How people will feel about the timing of the release, requirements, kit, and Luke's place in the game will depend on the details, which none of us have.

There's a bit of a catch 22 here. Is Luke coming with relatively manageable requirements compared to GL? If so, what will his power level be? If more powerful than GL with manageable requirements, then you'll probably see some unhappy GL owners. If more powerful than GL with as steep or steeper requirements, people may be miffed with the timing of release depends on how long we have till the event. If less powerful than GL, there are plenty of Luke fans who will not be happy with that particular balancing decision.

There have been plenty of speculated methods that gets around some or all of those issues. But we just don't know as of now.

So I don't think people are unhappy with Luke coming or manner of his release yet. The frustration lies with (at least for me) that they have yet to address some of the valid concerns and criticisms raised by some players.

As for why do we bother? I would imagine, most, if not all, players who criticize love the game. That's the point. If we didn't care, we would stop playing. But as with all things in life, the game and the community management are not perfect. There are parts that are downright frustrating and maddening. So some of players want those things changed or improved. Does it justify some of the terrible behavior I've seen from (a very minority) of frustrated players? Of course not. But being vocal about parts of the game/community experience that we want changed or improved is done precisely because we love the game and we feel it can be even better.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    lol people are weird(er) on the interwebs
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Zvezda
    66 posts Member
    Options
    Negativity is mainly because of the state of feeling the comunity is in. And that feeling is: Ignored !!!
    On top of that i think ppl do not trust that CG will deliver what they promised, anx that is enjoyable contet.
    There is a history of betrayl that is repetead from TB to 5* unlock legends ( some usless @5*) and lately the GL mess: both in terms of event quality and requierments.

So ... yeah ... ppl are kinda sick of paywalls and paywalls ans poor content and delayed promises and not delivering.
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options

Why things turned sour?

If JKL isn't a legend, what's the point? He's literally legendary. The character revered since the OT and literally a legend in TFA.
  • Options

Exactly. As of right now the only new content we see coming in is likely just another paywall and gear grind. Nothing about this playable content we keep hearing is coming. New characters arent content. Give us something to do regularly and daily other than simming for shards and gear. This game used to take up hours of my day. Now it takes about 10 minutes
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options

I see. Too bad it didn't pan out, at least some of the negativity could have been avoided.

That's cute.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Hey OP, I think it is more simple than all of this. When you buy a game for $40, you play it and move on. When devs promise to "upgrade" the game often and you regularly pump $20 into it here, $40 there, and maybe $100 from time to time, you have much higher expectations for returns on your money. I love the game, really do. I also spent about $300 earlier this year based on promises of new content that has now been officially cancelled. That really upsets me a lot! It's bait and switch, which is illegal in many other circumstances.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    joelgs23 wrote: »
    based on promises of new content that has now been officially cancelled.

Please provide a link for your claim.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Really??? Are you new here? Raid cancelled? There have been many statements of "we're working on X", then later "we not doing that anymore."
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options

Really??? Are you new here? Raid cancelled? There have been many statements of "we're working on X", then later "we not doing that anymore."

They said they paused the raid for a new game mode that will be accessible to all players not just endgame. They didn't say they aren't doing a new Raid anymore. They never said they were working on a sandbox mode, just that its not feasible
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

Again, provide a link. No raid was promised, and there was no statement made that a raid has been cancelled.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Options

Again, provide a link. No raid was promised, and there was no statement made that a raid has been cancelled.

There's clearly no link , cause he's a liar but what's more interesting is what did this guy spend money on for a raid that's not even announced? How could he possibly have made a good decision ? Who would've known getting good clones was going to prove to be one of the best sith raid teams.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »

It’s been paused. Only 2 options after that point.....

Yep and one completely invalidates your claim.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »

It’s been paused. Only 2 options after that point.....

Yep and one completely invalidates your claim.

Don't both? The options would be release a raid now, or release a raid later.