A visualization of the Gear Crunch

Prev1345
476m8lo7et64.png

Source from reddit and much thanks too.

This is what we mean devs. This is a gear crunch and we need more F2P ways to get this gear.

This doesn’t even include the gold gear, G12 gear, G12+ or finishers either. But you know what? The G12 and above gear...thats fine. That’s an acceptable choke point in the game given the level of progression we are at. We don’t need that stuff to get to G12. G12 should not be a chore to get to anymore. Now that you have moved the goalposts permanently requiring relic toons for unlocks and new premium characters, G12 should be made much easier to achieve. How do you do that? Make all the gear in this picture much more accessible via updates to daily challenges, events, gear heist events, raid reward distribution, GC rewards, etc.

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Is there a similar plot for income? Not that I would expect it to balance out, but it would be nice to see the mostly flat line side by side with this.
  • dgree
    521 posts Member
    Options
    This is for the toons? Or the requirements?

Anyway, here's another visualization, thanks to https://gear.swgohevents.com/: F2P with the sort of gear hoard needed to get and gear a GL, assuming modest g12 gearing of only a few of the requirements. This is why people expect new GLs to do well. It's a huge investment, F2P or not.

qxr0149rzctj.png
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Is there a similar plot for income? Not that I would expect it to balance out, but it would be nice to see the mostly flat line side by side with this.

This. The gear income has increased as well as the gear requirements. The question is whether the balance/proportions between income and requirements has changed.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

This. The gear income has increased as well as the gear requirements. The question is whether the balance/proportions between income and requirements has changed.

IIRC, the last significant increase in income was Geo TB and kyros in the daily reward, but I'm too lazy to look up when that happened, not to mention putting some actual numbers on it.
  • Options

IIRC, the last significant increase in income was Geo TB and kyros in the daily reward, but I'm too lazy to look up when that happened, not to mention putting some actual numbers on it.

A worthy contribution to the forums.

Kyros are part of TW rewards now too, and the Assault Battles extra tiers have also contributed to the increase.
  • Options
    Tough to figure out. Assault Battles and some other events used to be two days, right?
  • Options
    Assault battle tiers are insane and require too much gear to beat all of them without disregarding the GL farm... My only guess is you either P2W or just simply not enjoy this game
  • Options
    The difficulty of NS and BH should be decreased I think since unless they are going to give us a legendary NS or BH it's probably impossible to beat tier 3
  • Options
    Changing the requirements on existing characters will never happen but I can’t understand why more useful gear isn’t made readily available.

-Guarantee a higher drop on daily challenges
    -Add a few gear pieces instead of training droids to galactic war
    -update tank rewards
    -add some pieces of gear to cantina or fleet currency stores

None of this needs to be in huge amounts but all the little differences will add up and at least make players feel like they’re being heard
  • Options

I would be interested to see that as well, though my personal feelings are that as someone who started just a couple weeks after launch, I should have accumulated enough gear to g12 every character in the game by now. This is not the case.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Are the years just when the characters were released? I didn't think there was kyrotech in 2018. So what those have should just be the finishers.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Are the years just when the characters were released? I didn't think there was kyrotech in 2018. So what those have should just be the finishers.

Yeah, if you look at Bossk you can see he only needs 100. Darth Revan was the first character to require kyro.
  • Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think they should’ve included gold balls as part of the gear crunch visualization too imo
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Anarkid wrote: »
    The difficulty of NS and BH should be decreased I think since unless they are going to give us a legendary NS or BH it's probably impossible to beat tier 3

NS/Phoenix I agree. Even maxed out teams can’t beat last tier unless fantastic RNG.
    But disagree with BH. That one can be crushed with troopers. Unfortunately for most it involves Piett. But with him tier 3 is achievable unlike NS event.
  • Options

They look like years released, but with the G13 requirements added.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options

They look like years released, but with the G13 requirements added.

Yeah, little did we know that before they randomly decided to create kyro pieces, the finishers were going to need 100 guns or 100 cuffs. So they weren't actually lying when they said kyro would ease the gun/cuff crunch, we just didn't know how bad it *could* have been.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    I mean do you really need a dev to come on here and say WAI to believe that they want a crunch?
    Crunch cause frustration/panic
    Frustration/panic in a micro transaction game causes spending
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    I mean do you really need a dev to come on here and say WAI to believe that they want a crunch?
    Crunch cause frustration/panic
    Frustration/panic in a micro transaction game causes spending

Similar to:
    1- @scuba
    2- answers
    3- ????
    4- profit
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    dgree wrote: »
    Tough to figure out. Assault Battles and some other events used to be two days, right?

They did, but that was before they added kyro and finishers. I don't miss two days of 4 dot mods and Teebo shards.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Anarkid wrote: »
    Assault battle tiers are insane and require too much gear to beat all of them without disregarding the GL farm... My only guess is you either P2W or just simply not enjoy this game

CT1 which rewards kyro and finishers are rather easy.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

They did, but that was before they added kyro and finishers. I don't miss two days of 4 dot mods and Teebo shards.

13 Teebo shards get you one batch of 6 stun gun salvage from shard store, though. The reduction is not insignificant, especially considering that most AB early tiers award quite a lot of extra shards.
    Edit: Did some checking to provide some numbers, and 13 shards is incidentally what you roughly get from an "average" AB tier. So we basically lost 18 pieces of stun gun salvage per AB. If we consider stun guns and kyros as roughly equal, we are still better off, though not by that much. Plus, of course, the later tiers, but those are significantly harder to complete.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

13 Teebo shards get you one batch of 6 stun gun salvage from shard store, though. The reduction is not insignificant, especially considering that most AB early tiers award quite a lot of extra shards.

I've been buying stun guns with GET 1 and shard shop currency forever and I have enough to gear up everything for two GLs of my choice and still have more leftover. Meanwhile I am hundreds short on kyro and a little short on finishers.

I'll trade those 13 teebo shards for more kyro and finishers any day of the week (which are all Tuesdays still for anyone wondering).
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    By the way, I'm doing the same on my 2m alt where I have 800 stun guns built up.
  • Options
    I would think they are acutely aware of the gear requirements and velocity they give them out for free. So I am not exactly sure what the point of this post is.

It's been pretty clear for 5 years of this games existence that the only way they make money is by scaling the requirements of gear/content to force you to either be patient or spend.
  • Options
    I’m not sure what players expect? Of course they want a gear crunch. This game stopped being about fun 3-4 years ago. It’s all about hooking players and satisfying us just enough to keep leveling up toons and spending $$$
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I would think they are acutely aware of the gear requirements and velocity they give them out for free. So I am not exactly sure what the point of this post is.

It's been pretty clear for 5 years of this games existence that the only way they make money is by scaling the requirements of gear/content to force you to either be patient or spend.
    I’m not sure what players expect? Of course they want a gear crunch. This game stopped being about fun 3-4 years ago. It’s all about hooking players and satisfying us just enough to keep leveling up toons and spending $$$

No one said there shouldn't be a gear crunch. But it's silly that you need characters at g13 to be useful anywhere and it's still so hard to get to g12 for the vast majority of characters. The bottleneck should always be at the high end, which starts at g12.4.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

Correct kyro dropped with darth revan.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Correct kyro dropped with darth revan.

Yeah that was mostly a one time thing because that is also when Kyrotech was introduced IIRC.
    Don't expect something like that unitl the next new "bottleneck" gear is introduced (if we get one)
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    LukeDukem8 wrote: »

No one said there shouldn't be a gear crunch. But it's silly that you need characters at g13 to be useful anywhere and it's still so hard to get to g12 for the vast majority of characters. The bottleneck should always be at the high end, which starts at g12.4.

Sort of agree.... i think gear 12 regular though.... but there are pretty good ways to get those so far.

My issue is stun guns, stun cuffs and golden eye balls. Those are not evenly distributed in game and are needed at gear 9 - 11.

I dont ever use on relics currently because i dont have enough for non relic characters.

That should be an option for me to consider but i simply never have them so i dont hit that choice