SLKR/JML owner thoughts on his Ultimate

Prev13
Just throwing this out there- I don’t think JML ultimate was very well thought out. Under JML lead you get a new ability (much like thrawn/jkl) to build JML ultimate (which can’t be activated until you hit 100%- unlike Slkr which can be used at three intervals) you must use the leader special to spread Jedi lessons and built ultimate charge. However in doing so- you can’t use Gas/JKL/JKR abilities. If you choose to use their specials - you don’t gain Jedi lessons and don’t gain ultimate charge. If you DONT use their abilities it’s a loss. You simply cannot ignore the function of their kits to build the ultimate. It’s a very poor design. The leadership ability calls an assist and grants Jedi lesson (+mastery). But that isn’t enough to outweigh using their abilities. So it’s nigh useless to even go for his ultimate (and lose) rather just ignore the ultimate and use their specials (JKL having a phenomenal kit) and win. It really is a very poor design- and the cost involved is extremely steep to warrant benching the JML lead and ultimate- and running him under a better JKL lead. Just a bizarre release of a GL.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The ability has a cooldown, so you will have opportunities to use their skills.

Rey also has a 100% charge on ultimate, I'm not sure why the comparison to SLKR is needed.

The special also has a significant damage that a player can mod to really maximize the damage on.

Not saying there is no room for it to be better, but these points dont really seem like the key issue.

Yes you are ignoring those abilities to some extent, but they will also be much nicer when they get Legacy and have 100% more mastery.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Rey also has a 100% charge on ultimate, I'm not sure why the comparison to SLKR is needed.

The special also has a significant damage that a player can mod to really maximize the damage on.

Not saying there is no room for it to be better, but these points dont really seem like the key issue.

Yes you are ignoring those abilities to some extent, but they will also be much nicer when they get Legacy and have 100% more mastery.

Just my own arena testing and trying to get to his ultimate as fast as possible- you have to use the leader special. But that means you skip - JKL stun, jkr mark, gas daze/armor shred. It’s the beginning of a battle I don’t know if you’ve used it or not- but I’ve tried. If you focus just on getting his ultimate - you can’t get it before Rey, see, or Slkr get theirs . It’s not possible even with speed mods .

• Options
    I had to swap to jkr or jkl lead and completely ignore his ultimate to even beat SEE and REY
  • Options
    It does have a cooldown- but every character can use on opener- (and they have too if you even want a chance at the ultimate)
  • Options
    Reys ultimate charges 5 times as fast as JML spamming his lead special to even try and get it.
  • Options
    The dmg from using his lead special is insignificant when you factor in skipping their specials- which you HAVE to use to try and win. You cannot skip Mark, mass stun, or aoe daze and expect to win. Trust me I’ve tried :)
  • Options
    I’ve tried to answer your arguments as you stated them. I don’t know if you haven’t used them? Or fought them? But your arguments are not true. Even getting to 3 stacks is 60% mastery (20% per stack) not 100%. But that doesn’t matter as it’s useless. It’s the slowest ultimate. And to build it fastest- you have to skip your best toons abilities. It’s amazing for LSTB- but it’s absolutely awful in TW/GAC/ARENA
  • Ultra
    11505 posts Moderator
    Options
    I’ve tried to answer your arguments as you stated them. I don’t know if you haven’t used them? Or fought them? But your arguments are not true. Even getting to 3 stacks is 60% mastery (20% per stack) not 100%. But that doesn’t matter as it’s useless. It’s the slowest ultimate. And to build it fastest- you have to skip your best toons abilities. It’s amazing for LSTB- but it’s absolutely awful in TW/GAC/ARENA
    Slowest ultimate and the lowest mastery gain of the four
  • Options
    The primary issue is that the first 2 GLs had their ultimates charge passively - so their teams can perform normally. It was a poor design choice to switch and require "active" ultimate charging that in effect, neuterrs the rest of your teams' kits.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I’m taking the view that both of the new gls want to instruct/coerce you into doing what they want you to do/seem best/teach you/gives them power and so there ultimates are structured the way they are as a result of that. Almost like a nod to the characters in the films..

Just my thoughts.
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    Options

Pretty dismissive post. I have SLKR and I get the comparison he is trying to draw. He’s showing the general speed the two ultimates can be charged at. Which is SLKR >> JML. Then highlighting that with JML slower charger you also lose a great deal of utility of your team in the charging process. There is also the argument that once the ultimate is charged it isn’t as game changing as SLKR. So the overall utility of the ultimate seems under par.

It seems you’d want training to be a mass assist ability. Even with a damage reduction. That way you get some utility from your teams primary's, a decent amount of damage, and then charging the ultimate...

At the moment it’s just not apparently worth using GML lead. This coming from one who just needs JKL to return to start his grind and who faces GML in arena shard. To note, out of the 5 that have him with ultimate, only one runs him in the leader position for my arena shard.
  • Options
    Borat wrote: »
    Rey can easily take SLK on full auto, can beat See if modded right and your careful how to time your ultimate,

I think you need some editing there

• Options
    while I do agree that his ultimate takes a while to charge and you do pass up your teams specials in doing so, however, I absolutely crush SLK and Rey in arena and get his ultimate off. SLK and Rey cannot do enough damage quick enough to kill anyone off and with JKR, even if they manage to get one to 1 HP, savior kicks in. Once JML has his ultimate it usually ends with him one shot whoever is left on their side. I sometimes lose HY or JKR but it makes no difference in the outcome other than it not being a clean win. My arena is a week 1 arena so it isn't the competition as the SLKs and Reys i am going against have green, purple and gold 6* mods on them.

I currently have JML built like the tank he is with speed. + 135 speed and 140K health, 120K protection. I think He does need a minor fix to his ultimate charge but he doesn't need anything drastic. IMO.

I look at it this way, JML can beat Rey, SLK and any non GL team easily if modded right,

SLK can beat SEE and Rey easily, most times mirror matches but RNG can say hello once in a while or a slip of your finger hitting the wrong attack can have things go south fast, and all non GL teams,

Rey can easily take SLK on full auto, can beat See if modded right and your careful how to time your ultimate, can beat JML but again, timing and mods right, and any non GL team

SEE destroys JML, non GL teams, Rey if modded right but struggles with SLK mightly.

That to me is pretty good balance in the force and put some fun back into arena.

***NOTE: This is all on offense against AI, defense is a whole different story as you have no control but I have held better with JML on D than i did with SLK or Rey. I went from dropping to the 20's over night to holding in the top 10 with JML. Might just be players going easier climbing routes though.

***NOTE 2: is Modded a word???? Moded? Moddddeeedd? Mod'ed?

What magic rey team do you use to beat slk? Am I missing something?
  • Options

Do you have JML out of curiosity? Cause I do, and I can say the opportunity cost of not using GAS/JKL/JKR specials in favor of Jedi Lessons is not worth it when battling another GL.

In my opinion, the main problem with JML is not his lead or his ultimate. Its the jank jedi lessons/inherited teachings in the kit. Not only does that mechanic call for you to gimp your team for 13 turns in order to use the ultimate, but it basically makes it so JML is the ONLY GL who would not be able to use his ultimate when he is not the lead.

Quite frankly the lessons mechanic needs to be adjusted significantly. Either they need to give like 13% charge a pop for or better yet scrap the inherited teachings skill entirely and have a jedi give lessons to a jedi anytime a jedi ally uses a special.

• Options
    while I do agree that his ultimate takes a while to charge and you do pass up your teams specials in doing so, however, I absolutely crush SLK and Rey in arena and get his ultimate off. SLK and Rey cannot do enough damage quick enough to kill anyone off and with JKR, even if they manage to get one to 1 HP, savior kicks in. Once JML has his ultimate it usually ends with him one shot whoever is left on their side. I sometimes lose HY or JKR but it makes no difference in the outcome other than it not being a clean win. My arena is a week 1 arena so it isn't the competition as the SLKs and Reys i am going against have green, purple and gold 6* mods on them.

I currently have JML built like the tank he is with speed. + 135 speed and 140K health, 120K protection. I think He does need a minor fix to his ultimate charge but he doesn't need anything drastic. IMO.

I look at it this way, JML can beat Rey, SLK and any non GL team easily if modded right,

SLK can beat SEE and Rey easily, most times mirror matches but RNG can say hello once in a while or a slip of your finger hitting the wrong attack can have things go south fast, and all non GL teams,

Rey can easily take SLK on full auto, can beat See if modded right and your careful how to time your ultimate, can beat JML but again, timing and mods right, and any non GL team

SEE destroys JML, non GL teams, Rey if modded right but struggles with SLK mightly.

That to me is pretty good balance in the force and put some fun back into arena.

***NOTE: This is all on offense against AI, defense is a whole different story as you have no control but I have held better with JML on D than i did with SLK or Rey. I went from dropping to the 20's over night to holding in the top 10 with JML. Might just be players going easier climbing routes though.

***NOTE 2: is Modded a word???? Moded? Moddddeeedd? Mod'ed?

What magic rey team do you use to beat slk? Am I missing something?

I'd imagine he's referring to GAS lead, 5s, rey, han, chewie, which if modded to give gas guard can indeed auto SLKR in under 45s. That said, its not a Rey "led" team.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    Rey can easily take SLK on full auto, can beat See if modded right and your careful how to time your ultimate,

Nope. Don't lose against SLK with Rey. I use only JML now but if I had to go back, Rey is far more consistent against SLK than mirror matches SLK v SLK.

What exactly are you autoing SLK with if you are using Rey lead? SLK is certainly beatable 99% of the time with Rey lead, (if you have jkl) but on auto it's more like 40% win rate for me....
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

Nope. Don't lose against SLK with Rey. I use only JML now but if I had to go back, Rey is far more consistent against SLK than mirror matches SLK v SLK.

I thought you meant auto against see and beat slk with careful ultimate timing, as i didn't see how you can auto a slk but agreed it's a 99% win rate on manual. I stand corrected (kinda, due to the 2 tanks situation) !
  • Options
    Rey, JKR, GK, HY and JKL or GAS. If 2 Tanks I use GAS. One Tank I use JKL. It is not hard but you need to have REY beefy. Mine has over 40K protection and 245K Health. I don't have any issues against SLK. Mirror matches with Rey are tough though. You need to mark Hux and kill SiT first. Whirlwind FOST if 2 tanks first if 1 Tank Whirlwind SiT. Check your Mods. Speed on Rey is a waste. Health Health Health, like GG. Make sure your GAS and JKL are over +130 Speed and have your JKR be over 350 speed and you won't have an issue.

If you have issue in mirror, try to sub your gk with gas/jkl. 2 hitters will give you the 'oompf' you need.
  • Options
    Basically, CG needs to do something about JML's Ult, because no one is going to bother placing it now that its a known quantity: That it's complete trash and not worth the energy.
  • Options
    Jtr and chewy now beat him with resistance trooper. Palp lead. Sith empire. Jkr. Rey. I mean I’m sure padme could. I’m all for counters but literally every team counters him right now. That just doesn’t feel right. He doesn’t ever get his ultimate. If by some miracle he does- he’ll still lose. It isn’t a game changing ultimate like SEE or SLKR. It’s definitely a concern. He shouldn’t be THAT poor on defense.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I’m all for counters but literally every team counters him right now.

press x to doubt
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH