Squad Help (now SLKR prog)

Crayons
50 posts Member
edited February 26
I get destroyed in GA. I know why and think I have a way to help myself, but don’t want to waste currency and it not help. You guys will know if it’s a good idea

I have 2.55m GP. I played from launch a couple years, went away, came back 6 months ago. I have 94, 7 star, level 85 characters. However only 15 are g12 or above. I have about 20 g11, 20 g9, and the rest all between g6-8. Pretty much in GAC I have 15 useable characters.

I come up against people with like 40 characters in total, but 35 of them are g12 or above. I get hammered every single round with ease. I can’t bring a single team down, and I get cleared out entirely.

About 80 of these useless characters have mods on, as I built up so many I just levelled the mods and chucked them on anyone. I think I should remove the mods from all but 20 toons, but it’s gonna cost millions and I’m not sure even 80 characters mods will shove 100k off my GP to get me to drop a GAC tier.

Anyone out there got any idea what impact removing mods has on your GP?

This is my rota
https://swgoh.gg/p/639793429/

Update 25FEB21

After getting good advice to stick with my SLKR farm that I had given up on, this is how it’s going.

5k20lp3g9dex.png
ioxunh5s5s4p.png

Post edited by Crayons on

Replies

  • Are you div 5 or div 4?
  • crzydroid
    5296 posts Moderator
    GAC matchups are based on the power of your top toons; the exact number varies by division. So the best way to balance your roster is to make sure your top characters are good ones. Sometimes you can have a character like Piett or Wat who can function well at low stars and that is worth resource investment before you have max shards.

    You also want to make sure the mods on your characters are good ones. If you have good enough mods, lower gear characters can beat higher gear ones-- it's also worth knowing which team synergies work well as counters to squads at higher gear.
  • Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

  • crzydroid wrote: »
    GAC matchups are based on the power of your top toons; the exact number varies by division. So the best way to balance your roster is to make sure your top characters are good ones. Sometimes you can have a character like Piett or Wat who can function well at low stars and that is worth resource investment before you have max shards.

    You also want to make sure the mods on your characters are good ones. If you have good enough mods, lower gear characters can beat higher gear ones-- it's also worth knowing which team synergies work well as counters to squads at higher gear.

    What’s the best way to even understand mods? When I came back they were there, and I had a ton of currency and just bought stuff. But as sad as it is, I currently just automod them as I don’t know much better.
  • You seem to be gearing up for Kylo; You will have a difficult time in GA until you unlock him, because you're gearing characters in the process that are not great characters, while your opponents may have geared great characters. Once you'll get Kylo, you may put it on D and hope for the best, but it's not ideal neither. You'll round up your roster later on, but that's a problem for futur you ;)

    You can mitigate this by NOT relicing needed characters until you have the gear to relic them all at once. You can gear them up to G13, for instance. The GP difference between a G13 and a Relic'd is huge.
  • Crayons
    50 posts Member
    edited February 19
    If I could get rid of 100k GP I’d drop a division.

    But with 76 characters fully modded, and me needing to keep 20, I’m not sure how much power is in 56 characters worth of green and blue mods. I know it costs a bit to remove but I’d take the hit if I could shave the GP off and drop to div 5. I ain’t good with mods.
  • RTS
    240 posts Member
    Crayons wrote: »
    If I could get rid of 100k GP I’d drop a division.

    But with 76 characters fully modded, and me needing to keep 20, I’m not sure how much power is in 56 characters worth of green and blue mods. I know it costs a bit to remove but I’d take the hit if I could shave the GP off and drop to div 5. I ain’t good with mods.

    Search YouTube for “The Playbook” he has a fantastic series about learning mods, and his discord has a lot of helpful people as well.
  • Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    Any change you make now will not change your division for the duration of this current season (4 weeks of GAC). I don’t think removing these mods would benefit you much right now. I would take the time and learn more about mods (the playbook suggestion is a great place to start). Grasping mods is the biggest key to success I have found for myself. The sooner you jump on overcoming this mod “weakness” the sooner it becomes your strength.

    Before next week’s join period, if you remove some mods from your top 60 GP characters that have little use you will give yourself some slightly easier matchups, but in all likelihood you will be behind for a bit yet. I would consider making no upgrades (no leveling, gearing, relics etc) until after the next season starts (over 3 weeks away). Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.
  • I would relic your Vader super fast. That's an easy solo against Geos or other decent teams.
    Other than that, I would keep pushing towards SLKR. You'll have a tough time until you get him, but imo it'll be worth it.
  • Waqui
    8063 posts Member
    You have characters like Traya, CLS, Han solo, Thrawn and JTR at low gear level and with no zetas. They are all quite good on offense in GAC if you gear them up and put some zetas on them.
    If GAC is your main focus don't gear up any characters beyond the point where they do their job. F.ex. most of your Reliced FO characters would do the job just fine at g13. You don't gain much by building their relic but it adds to you matchmaking GP giving you stronger opponents.

    As already mentioned mods are essential now. You may see an instant improvement simply by moving the mods you already have around.
  • Waqui
    8063 posts Member
    Konju wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    [...] Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.

    You can't drop divisions. Once in Div. 4 there's no way back to div. 5. Your division is based on your all-time highest GP. You can decrease your matchmaking GP slightly by dropping mods, though. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

  • Brilliant info guys. A lot to think about. I’ll deffo zeta Vadar now as I have a few spare, he actually only needs one piece of gear to be g12 as well.

    Gonna have a look at this playbook 👍
  • I was looking to get SLKR, but that kinda stopped once I realised I can’t actually get the ship you need for it. I haven’t spent time in ships and now I really have to.
  • I switched tactics to get more Republic characters, and then hopefully unlock padme and maybe go for GAS too.
  • Crayons wrote: »
    I get destroyed in GA. I know why and think I have a way to help myself, but don’t want to waste currency and it not help.

    .................

    This is my rota
    https://swgoh.gg/p/639793429/

    You can't do anything in the near future except rearranging mods, your roster just too disbalanced for GAC. In the long run, your have two choices in my opinion:

    1. Push for GL Kylo. This way, at least, you'll make relics on your FO team useful. You still will have disbalanced roster even after you'll unlock him, but you'll get top arena squad, HSTR solo squad and the fleet which could perform on Fleet arena much better than current.
    2. Drop FO development, start to level up other top squads and toons. Waqui gave your some ideas above. Also after several GAC rounds look at roster of people who are near the top of your division, it should give you general idea what are good in the GAC.

    Both paths will take a long time. Personally I'd go for SLKR, maybe putting some resources in other key toons (zeta for Palp lead, at least G13 on Vader, 7* Thrawn..., etc).
  • UdalCuain
    3974 posts Member
    edited February 19
    Waqui wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    [...] Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.

    You can't drop divisions. Once in Div. 4 there's no way back to div. 5. Your division is based on your all-time highest GP. You can decrease your matchmaking GP slightly by dropping mods, though. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

    It's not based on your highest ever GP. It's based on current GP at the time a GAC launches, and divisions are set the first time a player logs in after that launch.

    For example, if your GP puts you in division four, you can lower your GP (by removing mods etc) to below the division five threshold and fight in that division instead, providing you do it before the GAC begins (not to be confused with "before you hit join").
  • Waqui
    8063 posts Member
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    [...] Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.

    You can't drop divisions. Once in Div. 4 there's no way back to div. 5. Your division is based on your all-time highest GP. You can decrease your matchmaking GP slightly by dropping mods, though. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

    It's not based on your highest ever GP. It's based on current GP at the time a GAC launches, and divisions are set the first time a player logs in after that launch.

    For example, if your GP puts you in division four, you can lower your GP (by removing mods etc) to below the division five threshold and fight in that division instead, providing you do it before the GAC begins (not to be confused with "before you hit join").

    Really? Do you know when it was changed?
  • Waqui
    8063 posts Member
    Crayons wrote: »
    I switched tactics to get more Republic characters, and then hopefully unlock padme and maybe go for GAS too.

    You should be able to unlock Padmé at 7* with your current separatists. Try with Nute lead and your best mods
  • Waqui wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    [...] Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.

    You can't drop divisions. Once in Div. 4 there's no way back to div. 5. Your division is based on your all-time highest GP. You can decrease your matchmaking GP slightly by dropping mods, though. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

    It's not based on your highest ever GP. It's based on current GP at the time a GAC launches, and divisions are set the first time a player logs in after that launch.

    For example, if your GP puts you in division four, you can lower your GP (by removing mods etc) to below the division five threshold and fight in that division instead, providing you do it before the GAC begins (not to be confused with "before you hit join").

    Really? Do you know when it was changed?

    It's been that way since at least August 2019.
    r04vadm7kwwp.png
  • Waqui
    8063 posts Member
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    Konju wrote: »
    Are you div 5 or div 4?

    Div 4. 2.5m to 3m GP

    [...] Then you can drop just enough mods off characters to put you back in div 5 before the lock in. I’m in div 5 with my alt account and your roster is a bit more competitive there. Once you’ve locked in for the 1st week you will be div 5 for the entire season.

    You can't drop divisions. Once in Div. 4 there's no way back to div. 5. Your division is based on your all-time highest GP. You can decrease your matchmaking GP slightly by dropping mods, though. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

    It's not based on your highest ever GP. It's based on current GP at the time a GAC launches, and divisions are set the first time a player logs in after that launch.

    For example, if your GP puts you in division four, you can lower your GP (by removing mods etc) to below the division five threshold and fight in that division instead, providing you do it before the GAC begins (not to be confused with "before you hit join").

    Really? Do you know when it was changed?

    It's been that way since at least August 2019.
    r04vadm7kwwp.png

    Thanx :-)
  • Starslayer
    578 posts Member
    edited February 19
    Crayons wrote: »
    I switched tactics to get more Republic characters, and then hopefully unlock padme and maybe go for GAS too.

    Changing your focus halfway is usually a bad idea. Piece of advice: try to evaluate how long it would take to get the ship you need. If it's about 6 motnhs, keep what you're doing and g13 those characters you need to unlock Kylo, then hoard on Relics components. Now that you Relic'd all those FO that are almost useless by themselves, you need to finish the job as soon as possible. You'll struggle a lot in GAC until then and you'll postpone the time where you'll be relevant in arena.

    You can even spend some crystals to acquire shards you need for your ship if you finish the rest of prerequisites early. It's an investment. Today, judging on your profile, you gain 60 crystals a day in Arena. With Kylo, you should reach top 50 (150 crystals a day), at the very least top 100 (100 crystals a day), which means an extra 2700 crystals a month (or 1200 a month if you only reach top 100). You'll get your crystals back in no time.
  • Great advice. Really appreciate the help
  • crzydroid
    5296 posts Moderator
    Crayons wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »
    GAC matchups are based on the power of your top toons; the exact number varies by division. So the best way to balance your roster is to make sure your top characters are good ones. Sometimes you can have a character like Piett or Wat who can function well at low stars and that is worth resource investment before you have max shards.

    You also want to make sure the mods on your characters are good ones. If you have good enough mods, lower gear characters can beat higher gear ones-- it's also worth knowing which team synergies work well as counters to squads at higher gear.

    What’s the best way to even understand mods? When I came back they were there, and I had a ton of currency and just bought stuff. But as sad as it is, I currently just automod them as I don’t know much better.

    Yeah, don't use the auto mod system. There are some great resources online to look up what to do. The best rule of thumb is to only level mods until they show all four stats, and if they don't have speed, sell them. There are exceptions sometimes, but until you start to learn what those are, high speed secondaries is still the best guideline.

    Crit damage is usually the best triangle primary for damage dealers. Some tanks might need protection or health. Some characters can't crit and would benefit from offense. But again, for the most part crit damage will see the most use.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    Crayons wrote: »
    I switched tactics to get more Republic characters, and then hopefully unlock padme and maybe go for GAS too.

    Changing your focus halfway is usually a bad idea. Piece of advice: try to evaluate how long it would take to get the ship you need. If it's about 6 motnhs, keep what you're doing and g13 those characters you need to unlock Kylo, then hoard on Relics components. Now that you Relic'd all those FO that are almost useless by themselves, you need to finish the job as soon as possible. You'll struggle a lot in GAC until then and you'll postpone the time where you'll be relevant in arena.

    You can even spend some crystals to acquire shards you need for your ship if you finish the rest of prerequisites early. It's an investment. Today, judging on your profile, you gain 60 crystals a day in Arena. With Kylo, you should reach top 50 (150 crystals a day), at the very least top 100 (100 crystals a day), which means an extra 2700 crystals a month (or 1200 a month if you only reach top 100). You'll get your crystals back in no time.

    This ^^
    I wouldn't change your focus, since you're so close to Kylo. Focus on getting those ships up so you can get the Finalizer, and work on finishing the SLKR grind.
    Crayons wrote: »
    I switched tactics to get more Republic characters, and then hopefully unlock padme and maybe go for GAS too.

    That might take you longer than SLKR will. To get GAS, you need at least a few relics, plus all the relics for his 501st team. Add on the time to unlock Padme, and get her team up and running, and you're better off getting GL Kylo.

    That's what I'd do, at least
  • Yeah. I could totally see that. I’ve switched back. Luckily I only spent a few weeks away from it. But I’ve fav’d all the characters and ships I need and refocused. Gonna ignore gearing anything and just farm it all while I farm the last few toons to 7*

    Save my crystals and currencies for shards. I’ll be back in a few months to let you know how I did 😃
  • Crayons
    50 posts Member
    edited February 26
    Guys I’m glad you convinced me to go back to my SLKR farm. I can feel it getting closer and I’m kinda into the focus on one thing. I almost gave it up. Here’s how far along I am.

    ioxunh5s5s4p.png
    5k20lp3g9dex.png
Sign In or Register to comment.