QuiGon Omi can't save team from Mando?

Prev134
kurtisblow
88 posts Member
edited February 2022
I learned in my last GAC match, much to my chagrin, that the QuiGon Omicron does not prevent The Mandalorian from destroying Jedi before QuiGon dies. I found that frustrating, since the game text seems to suggest this should not work (at the very least, it's ambiguous):

Qui-Gon says Jedi "can't be defeated while Qui-Gon Jinn is active"

Mando says "this ability instantly defeats target enemy, which can't be evaded"

I suppose that CG's intent is that the "can't be evaded" clause is what kicks in here, but to me the QuiGon text doesn't read as evasion. At the end of the day, I know how it works now but I thought I would post A) to share what I learned and B ) just to see if this is working as intended.

Thanks
Post edited by kurtisblow on

Replies

• CarSickShoe
    199 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The wording is certainly ambiguous since they used the word “defeat” for both. It could definitely be worded better like a lot of ability descriptions.

All insta-kill (aka destroy) abilities can bypass things like QGJ’s omicron or JKR’s Savior ability. They can also kill though and any damage immunities you might have, like droideka’s bubble or Beskar Mando’s special.

The “can’t be evaded” portion means that the attack can’t be dodged, so you can’t hide behind foresight to negate the attack.
  • Options
    I can understand destroy abilities defeating abilities that are specifically called damage immunity. That makes sense. But when they say "can't be defeated" and an ability that uses the same verbiage (defeated) kills it, that's poor kit language. Whatever, it's nothing new from CG but just annoying.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    Are you saying that Disintegrate bypasses QGJ Omicron?
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    esiuey34c65d.png
    ysigei5nwdbq.png

Disintegrate defeats an enemy unit, and QGJ's omicron prevents his allies from being defeated

If Mando is able to disintegrate with the omicron active, and no Galactic Legend on either team, then its a bug
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    For better assistance and functionality, please report your bug over at Answers HQ.

You’ll be able to find direct links to all the existing SWGOH forum boards on Answers HQ so you can easily navigate between both forums.

Please visit the Answers HQ forums by clicking the link below!
    <<Answers HQ>>
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

Yes, so does Darth Nihilus. The QGJ omi has been bugged that way since release.
  • kurtisblow
    88 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Yes that is exactly what I experienced. Mando Disintegrated JKA while QGJ was still standing (and no GLs present). lost my match for me. I will report it.

• Options
    esiuey34c65d.png
    ysigei5nwdbq.png

Disintegrate defeats an enemy unit, and QGJ's omicron prevents his allies from being defeated

If Mando is able to disintegrate with the omicron active, and no Galactic Legend on either team, then its a bug

Wait thats a bug?
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    I would believe so, since one ability defeats, and the other prevents that from happening
  • Options
    I think that supposed to happen, otherwise night sister zombie wouldnt have this line gvy2hass1heg.jpg
  • Options
    No it does sound like a bug, it says can't be defeated while qgj is alive, so the jedi should take massive damage instead of dying
  • mariogsh
    786 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Aside from what the description reads, both Annihilate and Disintegrate both have the same mechanics

The "Destroy effect", which we alredy knew bypasses the "can't be defeated" effects
    There's nothing in the game that makes you invulnerable against Destroy effects right now (aside from GL's, which clearly state that they instead take massive damage)

c0rih0eg4agq.png
    v8dixs30cs6z.png
  • Options
    No it does sound like a bug, it says can't be defeated while qgj is alive, so the jedi should take massive damage instead of dying

So Nihilus has been bugged since launch?

Nah dude, Nihilus and Mando have destroy effects, they bypass the "Can't be defeated" statment, has always been that way
  • Options
    I would believe so, since one ability defeats, and the other prevents that from happening

It has always been like this. You can annihilate GAS when he is with 501st, anyone under Rey when she protects. It is because it doesn't do damage, so it doesn't have to do the check. The only check that it would do, "is the target immune to destroy effects Y/N"

(Yes I know it does deal damage when the target is immune to destroy effects)
  • Options
    mariogsh wrote: »

So Nihilus has been bugged since launch?

Nah dude, Nihilus and Mando have destroy effects, they bypass the "Can't be defeated" statment, has always been that way

Yeah than night sister is the only exception since it says it can't be perventted
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options

It has always been like this. You can annihilate GAS when he is with 501st, anyone under Rey when she protects. It is because it doesn't do damage, so it doesn't have to do the check. The only check that it would do, "is the target immune to destroy effects Y/N"

Why did you bring up GAS?

GAS doesn't have a "cannot be defeated" ability in his kit, so GAS being annihilated is no different than using annihilate on Tusken Raider

Damage Immunity protects you from damage, not from being defeated (which bypasses giving damage)
  • Options

It has always been like this. You can annihilate GAS when he is with 501st, anyone under Rey when she protects. It is because it doesn't do damage, so it doesn't have to do the check.

Yeah, but the difference is, the GAS and Rey skills don't state that they can't be defeated. So if GAS or Rey's team mates get annihilated it's WAI. If the ability literally says "can't be defeated", then nothing should be able to defeat them, no matter what. It has to be a bug, since in the Sith raid the ability seems to work. In the Sith raid you can use the raid skill to prevent a unit of yours from dying for 1 turn. Not even Nihilus can bypass that with his annihilate. It's the exact same thing with QGJ. You should not be able to defeat characters that can't be defeated, it doesn't make sense. Targets that are immune to stun aren't affected by irresistble stun as well after all. If they are defeated regardless, then it needs to be fixed 100%.

• Options

Why did you bring up GAS?

GAS doesn't have a "cannot be defeated" ability in his kit, so GAS being annihilated is no different than using annihilate on Tusken Raider

Damage Immunity protects you from damage, not from being defeated (which bypasses giving damage)

His lead. Can't drop below 100% health while there is a 501st ally. Different form of saying can't be defeated.

7udfwgby1nc1.jpg
    Misrememebered Rey's Ult. Only she has the can't be defeated clause.
  • Options
    I just assumed the QGJ kit was worded poorly. Maybe they thought it would be too wordy to say "cannot be defeated by damage"? I dunno. But it has always functioned this way, I believe.

On a semi-related note, I do wish CG would abandon writing kits in paragraphs and opt for more concise bulleted lists. It would have the added benefit of making it clear which clauses apply to which effects by use of bullet leveling. But I digress...
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    Different form of saying can't be defeated.
    No. No its not.

Unless it specifically says "it cannot be defeated", it doesn't mean the same thing
  • Options
    “can’t be defeated” Means exactly that. For those talking about JKR Savior and GAS still getting Insta killed, neither of their kits prevent defeat. It talks about losing health points and regaining health at certain thresholds.

So QGJ’s kit is bugged if mando or DN can defeat anyone with no GL present and with QGJ still standing. Glad they didn’t refund the omicrons lol
  • Options
    No. No its not.

Unless it specifically says "it cannot be defeated", it doesn't mean the same thing

Tell me what is the different then?
    If you can't kill GAS while there is another 501st ally present. Except with a destroy effect.
    Not being able to kill a jedi ally while QGJ is alive unless you use a destroy effect.
    Cause they sure sound like the same thing just different words..
  • Options
    No. No its not.

If you can't kill GAS while there is another 501st ally present. Except with a destroy effect.
    Not being able to kill a jedi ally while QGJ is alive unless you use a destroy effect.

You just answered your own question. The words are different.

GAS, "Can't drop below 100% Health"

JKR, "reduced to 1% health"

Neither of these preclude destroy effects because destroy effects have nothing to do with health.

QGJ, "cannot be defeated"
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    No. No its not.

QGJ specifically says you can't kill a jedi with a "destroy" effect

Where, "an ability that instantly defeats you" is a destroy effect

Then, QGJ specifically says allies can't be destroyed

GAS doesn't prevent destroy effects
  • Options
    No. No its not.

You just answered your own question. The words are different.

GAS, "Can't drop below 100% Health"

JKR, "reduced to 1% health"

Neither of these preclude destroy effects because destroy effects have nothing to do with health.

QGJ, "cannot be defeated"

Yes the words are different but they still mean the same thing.
    "Cannot be defeated" means can't reduce health below 1%. Moving the threshold doesn't really change the outcome. They don't die until x is satisfied.

Either way. This has always how destroy effects have worked. Nothing stops them unless they're specifically mentioned.
  • Options

How about we flag a dev and we can get official answer. It has always been known that destroy abilities trump "cannot be defeated." If it has been a bug since Nilly first came out, then fine I'll concede the point.
  • Options
    It's pretty obvious from the mechanics page and lived experience that they just worded the ability poorly.

asmg0o1hosyn.png
  • PeachyPeachSWGOH
    792 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So just change Nihilus and Mando's kit text to say "instantly destroy". That would make it clear that it cannot be prevented by "cannot defeat".

[Edit] and CAT's text as well.
  • Options

How about we flag a dev and we can get official answer. It has always been known that destroy abilities trump "cannot be defeated." If it has been a bug since Nilly first came out, then fine I'll concede the point.

In what other kit does "cannot be defeated" appear? Honest question.

Again, clearly, whoever wrote the text was just not being literal enough and should have used words that accurately reflect the function.
  • Options
    9y0aa7f3pqi8.jpg

In what other kit does "cannot be defeated" appear? Honest question.

Again, clearly, whoever wrote the text was just not being literal enough and should have used words that accurately reflect the function.

In the example you gave. JKR