Gac is no longer fun

Prev134
I have enjoyed playing this game almost since launch. And for a long time gac has been the only thing that kept me playing. The matchmaking was broken before. However, even with the issues, I had fun with it. Generally, I won 2 out of 3 rounds, with an extra win or loss in some weeks. No matter how frustrated I was with my opponent or whether I lost or if I made it to kyber, I still had fun. Nowadays, I’m getting WAY more crystals. Even if I lose, I get more than I did before. But, with the new matchmaking, I lose 2/3, sometimes more. The fact is, despite the upgrade on daily crystals, I’m no longer having fun. Gac is frustrating and boring. The same old boring garbage. Every mode in this game is either crazy hard, or too easy or just more of the same. The last round of CQ was fun again for the first time since the third round. But I don’t expect that to last. I left MSF when I realized I only had time for one game. And I left because I have more time invested here. I’m almost done. I’m not a kraken or even a whale. My profile is at almost 7m. Im probably around 2/3k spent range. That’s a lot for me. But, I’m bored and frustrated. I can’t keep facing people who have 2-3 more GL’s than me. We need more content. Or do something to spice up gac. Just giving us more daily crystals is not enough to make the game fun again. Please make it fun again. I don’t mind losing, if I’m having fun.

Replies

• Options
    You realize that if you win 2/3 someone else is on the other side losing 2/3 right?

It just sounds like you flipped over to the other side of a bell curve that is impossible to straddle (because there's no winning 1.5/3)
  • Options
    I'm trying to be patient with this mode, but with 3 million GP my final opponent this round has over 6 million GP and that's after losing the first two matches.
    My last several rounds have mostly been a guaranteed loss if my opponent shows up. There's no way to know, but I guess my opponents show up for me more than others when they see how many fewer relics I have. I base that on having not had many no shows and them having fallen down so far.
  • Franke
    134 posts Member
    Options
    More relics doesnt mean good player. You can win against higher gp players if you put some effort to it. Your opponent may have double amount of relics compared to you but may put bad defence or play all his matches on auto. You never know, and its way more satisfying to win a match against a higher gp player vs a lower
  • Phoenixeon
    1843 posts Member
    Options
    So now ppl relegated too far takes the blame now?
  • Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options
    I think all of this is due to CG moving crystal income to GAC. It means everyone has to be “in” to keep the crystals flowing. But I think that means there are lots of non players who attack just enough to get the season rewards but mostly forfeit. If they fall too low to maintain their income they can play a bit harder and boost it back up, but mostly it’s passive income. This isn’t malicious on their part, it’s just a result of the economy. This is a huge issue at the bottom rungs where there are a lot of casual players. When you can’t fall any farther but still get that daily for being in the ranks it makes it no fun for the folks who showed up to play.
  • Options
    I've never found GAC fun. This iteration I find the worst version of it. Always the same teams on D. Same omnomnoms. No creativity. Boring. That's not even taking into account the squish which is ridiculously arbitrary and hampers your progress. Went from 1 win away from K1 to needing 4+ wins to get in.

Actually, I'd like it more if CG renamed the "skill rating". It has nothing to do with skill.
  • Options
    If you face someone that you can't beat, that means you don't have to spend any time on that game mode this round.

It also means you are probably placed too high and are getting more daily crystals than you should.

Less time, more crystals. Win-win.
  • Options
    I've never found GAC fun. This iteration I find the worst version of it. Always the same teams on D. Same omnomnoms. No creativity. Boring. That's not even taking into account the squish which is ridiculously arbitrary and hampers your progress. Went from 1 win away from K1 to needing 4+ wins to get in.

Actually, I'd like it more if CG renamed the "skill rating". It has nothing to do with skill.

you would still have the same matchups so what does it matter what they call it
    hello
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Kathark wrote: »
    This is a huge issue at the bottom rungs where there are a lot of casual players. When you can’t fall any farther but still get that daily for being in the ranks it makes it no fun for the folks who showed up to play.

Thing is, though, that a casual player is going to continue to advance up the GAC ladder because they're going to beat those mismatches at the bottom (unless the high GP player decides to be active that day, which seems unkikely or else they would be higher, know what I mean?) and then surpass where those folks are and reach other casual players.

It's a temporary problem. I just wish it wasn't such a surprise for people who just unlock GAC and their first opponent is huge--that's not a good first impression for the mode to make, temporary or not.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    This is a huge issue at the bottom rungs where there are a lot of casual players. When you can’t fall any farther but still get that daily for being in the ranks it makes it no fun for the folks who showed up to play.

Thing is, though, that a casual player is going to continue to advance up the GAC ladder because they're going to beat those mismatches at the bottom (unless the high GP player decides to be active that day, which seems unkikely or else they would be higher, know what I mean?) and then surpass where those folks are and reach other casual players.

It's a temporary problem. I just wish it wasn't such a surprise for people who just unlock GAC and their first opponent is huge--that's not a good first impression for the mode to make, temporary or not.

Yeah it’s very de-motivating. It encourages the exact behavior I describe. I am tempted to essentially ignore GAC (to the minimum to get income) and work my roster and zetas for a while until I can actually make a move. Then I will have to ignore/fall for a while until I feel I can move up again. Fits and starts with huge swings and most of the time spent where my acct is just dead weight annoying anyone who happens to be actually playing.
  • Options

if it doesn't matter what they call it then they can just call it "Silly Arbitrary Number" :joy:
  • TVF
    36748 posts Member
    Options

if it doesn't matter what they call it then they can just call it "Silly Arbitrary Number" :joy:

It's not arbitrary though, is it?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36748 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Yeah it’s very de-motivating. It encourages the exact behavior I describe. I am tempted to essentially ignore GAC (to the minimum to get income) and work my roster and zetas for a while until I can actually make a move. Then I will have to ignore/fall for a while until I feel I can move up again. Fits and starts with huge swings and most of the time spent where my acct is just dead weight annoying anyone who happens to be actually playing.

This system is way better than the old one. Crystals aside (which is huge), it does encourage roster building. Look at my old GAC history. I won 50 straight matchups at one point. Why? Because I never touched my roster other than GLs and got easy matchups all the time. Now that is gone, and I am encouraged to do things like work on my Troopers or my MM team without worrying about how it will negatively affect my matchups.

(And before anyone says it, yes those are good teams - but not worth losing a GL advantage over.)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

The squish is extremely arbitrary and docks or gives points randomly. Its influence is in every account at this point. So it is arbitrary. First it was GP based. Now it's influenced by random points removed or gifted by CG's random algorithm.

Or is stripping multiple wins off of accounts while giving free wins to other accounts somehow a skill based feat?
  • Options
    When new matchmaking based on skill was first time introduced, my L/W stroke jumps like crazy. But now, after 2 seasons it calmed down and I get quite balanced opponents - some have more GL than, some less, but it depends more on how they play. With more crystal loss, losing hurts more, but the fun is still the same - and I have a fun.
    The only unbalanced thing that destroys the fun is the Executor (**** thing).
  • cboath7
    467 posts Member
    Options

Sure seems like it. I was winning 2/3 per round and after the last event i was 6 pts shy of the next level...yet somehow fell down a level, and post squish was 6 pts from losing a second level.
  • Lumiya
    1576 posts Member
    Options

The squish is extremely arbitrary and docks or gives points randomly. Its influence is in every account at this point. So it is arbitrary. First it was GP based. Now it's influenced by random points removed or gifted by CG's random algorithm.

Or is stripping multiple wins off of accounts while giving free wins to other accounts somehow a skill based feat?

I am absolutely with you and fully agree.
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    cboath7 wrote: »

Sure seems like it. I was winning 2/3 per round and after the last event i was 6 pts shy of the next level...yet somehow fell down a level, and post squish was 6 pts from losing a second level.

The squish may be arbitrary we dont have data

Wins and losses are defiantly not arbitrary
    hello
  • Options

squish strips wins, rendering matches you fought hard to win meaningless
  • Options

Nvm
    hello
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options

Squish doesn’t strip the crystals, currency, and other rewards you got from those wins, so they’re not meaningless.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that the "squish" is just a rescaling of everyone's numbers.

Is it more nefarious than that?
  • Lumiya
    1576 posts Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that the "squish" is just a rescaling of everyone's numbers.

Well, some people gain skillpoints and others lose SP, so...
  • LynxVJ
    138 posts Member
    Options
    Of course the squish works like that, duh. Everyone's SR is pulled into some "median" number.
    Those with higher SR got their points reduced, the reduction is bigger for higher SR.
    And vice versa for those with lower SR. They got extra points during squish.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

But if ranks stay the same, what does it matter?

If they didn't do this, eventually the SR spread would be so great that we would be stuck in our brackets for eternity.
  • Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

Is there any evidence of 2 people with the same SR before the squish winding up with different SR after the squish?
  • Metasly
    280 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    If they didn't do this, eventually the SR spread would be so great that we would be stuck in our brackets for eternity.
    I understand the point and agreed with that need but it would be more understandable for people if they changed the number of SR points gained/lost eahc fight
    (but as a developper the "quick and dirty" solution of squashing existing numbers is simpler the first 2 or 3 times)
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Metasly wrote: »
    I understand the point and agreed with that need but it would be more understandable for people if they changed the number of SR points gained/lost eahc fight
    (but as a developper the "quick and dirty" solution of squashing existing numbers is simpler the first 2 or 3 times)

I still don't see the problem. SR determines your league, not your spot on the ladder. So your bracket and matchups don't change because of the squish.
  • Options
    Well...like i said elsewhere...i am having WAY MORE FUN on GAC now.
    Like everyone i am seeing opponents way stronger (in terms of squad values) and am having to improve my game to try to beat them...
    Lots of times i am beaten without a chance...but some other times i get wins vs theoretically stronger opponents by using better tactics...usless a lot of times...LOTS OF FUN when it works.
    I am still getting around 50% wins (2/3 then 1/3 and so on)...so i guess i am where i am supposed to be...
    BTW...i now dread more opponents with THE SAME value as me...as they are usually BETTER :) (and in these cases i cant blame being outmatched when i lose :) )
  • Lumiya
    1576 posts Member
    Options
    Metasly wrote: »

I still don't see the problem. SR determines your league, not your spot on the ladder. So your bracket and matchups don't change because of the squish.

Yes it does because it determines your rank and you are placed with those around you in one bracket.