Gac is no longer fun

124Next

Replies

• Options
    Put this on another thread but thought I’d repeat here in case folks had thoughts.

I think they could rank ppl with the same SR by GP when they make the brackets. For example in lowly Carbonite3 there is a 200 point SR range and 30K players. So 150 players per SR (yes it’s not evenly distributed I know, but for the sake of the example I will assume it). If those were ranked and bracketed by GP every matchup would stand a good chance of being close. If your OP doesn’t play at least you had to try in case they did. If they do play you will probably have a close match, depending on actual skill. But what it really does is force the highGP folks who are auto D and no attack to play against EACH OTHER! One of them will lose and move down to “not play” the high GP falling down in another SR bin, and one will win and get pushed up closer to where they belong.
  • Granolo
    216 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Kathark wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Kathark wrote: »
    This is a huge issue at the bottom rungs where there are a lot of casual players. When you can’t fall any farther but still get that daily for being in the ranks it makes it no fun for the folks who showed up to play.

Thing is, though, that a casual player is going to continue to advance up the GAC ladder because they're going to beat those mismatches at the bottom (unless the high GP player decides to be active that day, which seems unkikely or else they would be higher, know what I mean?) and then surpass where those folks are and reach other casual players.

It's a temporary problem. I just wish it wasn't such a surprise for people who just unlock GAC and their first opponent is huge--that's not a good first impression for the mode to make, temporary or not.

Yeah it’s very de-motivating. It encourages the exact behavior I describe. I am tempted to essentially ignore GAC (to the minimum to get income) and work my roster and zetas for a while until I can actually make a move. Then I will have to ignore/fall for a while until I feel I can move up again. Fits and starts with huge swings and most of the time spent where my acct is just dead weight annoying anyone who happens to be actually playing.

This system is way better than the old one. Crystals aside (which is huge), it does encourage roster building. Look at my old GAC history. I won 50 straight matchups at one point. Why? Because I never touched my roster other than GLs and got easy matchups all the time. Now that is gone, and I am encouraged to do things like work on my Troopers or my MM team without worrying about how it will negatively affect my matchups.

(And before anyone says it, yes those are good teams - but not worth losing a GL advantage over.)

THIS

The old system made you avoid GP bloat by all means, which ended up in only leveling toons that you required for GLs or meta teams. So you got stuck with the same teams for months.

Now, I finally got around on unlocking BAM, I leveled Iden + left over IT, which are doing wonders even at g7-g8, I can use JTR, Scoundrels, teams that I could never gear up before, as they weren't on my GL farming path. Now I got em at g9-g10 and I still use them, even for the fun of it. Also that allows me to have more fun at Challenges as I can use those squads to tackle on some of the feats, and gets me better crates than before.

So yeah, for me this has been the best change on the game so far.

About the "skill base rating", of course you can't have skill based on a game that is barelly 10% skill (with the other 30% whaling on toons, 50% whaling on mods and 10% RNG). Complaining about that it's pointless, the MM works as intended anyways.
  • Options
    wr224l3qfwfq.jpg
  • Options
    y8lqdvdcr8be.jpg
  • Options
    Ya. Not fun anymore.
  • Options
    you should get some GLs
    hello
  • Options
    Ya. Not fun anymore.
    you should get some GLs

Trying....
  • Options
    SerWulfgar wrote: »
    This system could be potentially good however, lets stop kidding and let's admit it isnt.

There are two major problems with it, one of them being transitionary.
    First, there should be a cap on the W.-L streak effects. To put it differently there should be forbidden matchups. This is the permanent issue. Reaching a point when you objectively dont stand any chance has a crushing effect to the morale. You can also easily derive that you will end up around 50-50 W-L, and the major question remains the exact league where you end up. The AVERAGE difference between k1 and k2 is so small that it creates a major counterargument against upgrading GAC omicrons. If you can advance one extra league due to just your omicron upgrades (how do you even prove this in the first place) the gain is so marginal that it renders them almost obsolete.

The second issue is that we can see now that the matchups are getting more or less balanced. Yes there are still matchups that I think should be considered to be forbidden but their numbers are dropping fast as the system iterates. It took roughly 2.5 tournaments which is 30 matchups. I cannot name a single reason to put us through this torture. The initial (GP based) system was barbaric, primitive. An 8th century caveman with troll ancestorts could have come up with a better idea. They put ZERO effort into creating a playable initiative system and had us play more or less 30 mismatches. (I definitely had 21 mismatches in the first 24 matches. No excitement, no chances. Won most of them, lost some of them. There were at most 3 matches that could be seen as something inbetween. The 3rd season seems to be somewhat better) CG deserves nothing but pure detest for the initial parameter system.

Also, the principle is still: you perform well, you get punished, and that is problematic.

As someone who has split time between K1&2, I can tell you the difference is significant. K1 is the land of 8-10M rosters with 5-6 GL’s, great secondary teams, and god like mods. K2, is to be charitable, more diverse.

You also complain about mismatches yet claim to have “won most of them”. I guess the mismatches were in your favor then.
  • Options
    This system could be potentially good however, lets stop kidding and let's admit it isnt.

First, there should be a cap on the W.-L streak effects. To put it differently there should be forbidden matchups. This is the permanent issue. Reaching a point when you objectively dont stand any chance has a crushing effect to the morale. You can also easily derive that you will end up around 50-50 W-L, and the major question remains the exact league where you end up. The AVERAGE difference between k1 and k2 is so small that it creates a major counterargument against upgrading GAC omicrons. If you can advance one extra league due to just your omicron upgrades (how do you even prove this in the first place) the gain is so marginal that it renders them almost obsolete.

The second issue is that we can see now that the matchups are getting more or less balanced. Yes there are still matchups that I think should be considered to be forbidden but their numbers are dropping fast as the system iterates. It took roughly 2.5 tournaments which is 30 matchups. I cannot name a single reason to put us through this torture. The initial (GP based) system was barbaric, primitive. An 8th century caveman with troll ancestorts could have come up with a better idea. They put ZERO effort into creating a playable initiative system and had us play more or less 30 mismatches. (I definitely had 21 mismatches in the first 24 matches. No excitement, no chances. Won most of them, lost some of them. There were at most 3 matches that could be seen as something inbetween. The 3rd season seems to be somewhat better) CG deserves nothing but pure detest for the initial parameter system.

Also, the principle is still: you perform well, you get punished, and that is problematic.

As someone who has split time between K1&2, I can tell you the difference is significant. K1 is the land of 8-10M rosters with 5-6 GL’s, great secondary teams, and god like mods. K2, is to be charitable, more diverse.

You also complain about mismatches yet claim to have “won most of them”. I guess the mismatches were in your favor then.

Where is K2 more diverse? every opponent I've faced in k2 this season has had 5-6 GLs. Exact same GP and GL counts as when I've been in K1. You must be getting the easier K2 matchups.
  • Options
    No need for complaints. Just accept that GAC becomes a chore mode for most players and move on. I actually like it. It means I can spend less time, earn more crystals and free to chase my goal to increase GP as fast as I can as a pure f2p, and also it was an easy decision not to invest a single omicron in GAC. I put all my hard earned omicron to TW.
  • Options
    sloweagle wrote: »
    No need for complaints. Just accept that GAC becomes a chore mode for most players and move on. I actually like it. It means I can spend less time, earn more crystals and free to chase my goal to increase GP as fast as I can as a pure f2p, and also it was an easy decision not to invest a single omicron in GAC. I put all my hard earned omicron to TW.

If you’re mid-table in k1, i agree that there is little incentive to use gac omicrons.
  • Options

Where is K2 more diverse? every opponent I've faced in k2 this season has had 5-6 GLs. Exact same GP and GL counts as when I've been in K1. You must be getting the easier K2 matchups.

My last three rounds in K2 I’ve seen anywhere from 2-6 GL, 120-190 zetas, 150-500 6 PiP mods, 90-150 relic toons, etc, etc. In K1 my 8M, 3GL squad was always seriously outclassed after the second week or so. Now it’s hit or miss. I’ve been hanging near top of 2 past few weeks. Probably seeing people on way up or down.