Gac is no longer fun

Replies

• Options
    I predicted that GAC would become a chore when they announced the new format. Many people don’t believe then. For majority of players, the win rate will eventually settle at around 50%, no matter how good or bad players you are. The old format, even I am always underdog because I like to maximize my GP growth as a 100% f2p. I spent a lot of time on plan and strategy, and winning against those slightly stronger rosters brought a lot of gratification and better crystals income relative to other players.

Now I don’t see point investing time and resources in GAC anymore. I put 0 GAC omicron, I just set my defense, and let is carry over to the next two. I don’t bother checking GAC history, investigating my opponents anymore etc. i just need remember to spend some time to do the battles. With minimum efforts, I will win the same number of matches anyway.

GAC effectively become a version of squad arena where you have freedom to pick your own time to do battles. That’s it. It will become a chore to earn crystals. and I see this coming and don’t expect more or less.

• Kathark
    59 posts Member
    Options
    Ghost666 wrote: »
    Kathark wrote: »
    Sure. Exactly the behavior that’s killing the fun. While we’re at it CG can just auto-sim all the matches and give my rank/rewards accordingly.
    In seriousness though, this is the reality for new/casual players who didn’t spend levels 1-85 hyper focused on a tight farming path. The fun ends.
    I am overmatched in general as some players will not attack or even deploy, so i win more than i should....but i prefer this a lot more...some games i cant win, lost all three on previous GAC, but way more interesting than before...
    You just cant feel "entitled" to win...any match requires that half the players will lose.

I don’t want to win all the time. I want competitive matches all the time, which is impossible in this system. I actually win a lot, but only because my opps don’t play. Exactly the situation I describe. The occasional tight or interesting match is not worth the slog through all the mismatches. At the lowest levels all the garbage flows downhill to us. I am new enough that I don’t have a comparison to the old system, if you say this is better I guess I have to believe you, but it’s not good for me at all.
  • Metasly
    280 posts Member
    Options
    I don’t want to win all the time. I want competitive matches all the time, which is impossible in this system. I actually win a lot, but only because my opps don’t play. Exactly the situation I describe. The occasional tight or interesting match is not worth the slog through all the mismatches. At the lowest levels all the garbage flows downhill to us. I am new enough that I don’t have a comparison to the old system, if you say this is better I guess I have to believe you, but it’s not good for me at all.

Maybe they should create brackets trying to have a range of 1/2 GP between the max GP and least GP players, wich would adressses your problem.

I don't have the numbers but if there isn't enough "active low GP" players like you to create a large enough number of brackets it wouldn't be a good solution
  • Fingaz
    6 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    As a person that plays this game almost 100% for gac and having multiple account in different levels. I'm struggling to enjoy this new mode as well. pve modes are about as boring as they come frankly, repetitive garbage. Their attempts to improve pve by inventing galactic challenges and conquest with stupid modifiers so you can watch your maxed out relic teams get beaten by phoenix is "so much fun". For me GAC was pretty much the only game mode that brought with it a level of complexity, randomness, and thought that made it interesting. Now in the old system, yes there was encouragement to manage your account GP so you could move between the GAC tiers when you felt like your account was ready. That didn't stop me from farming teams and building squads it just stopped me from putting lots of relics on toons. It encouraged me to build a wide roster that had counter teams to answer what I thought I would see on D. At the beginning of the month you would get matched up against the scrubs and as you won and moved through the month the matches would get harder and harder until you got to the last week of the month where you were facing serious competition. The thing though that the old system had going for it was once I reached those hard serious players I wasn't blown away by their roster GP. It became a game of strategy since we had fairly even GP. The mismatches on GL and meta teams caught me occasionally but just gave me a goal to work towards.

Now the new system. It has taken the gloves off on GP management so you can relic whatever you want and have whatever GP you want but it has also created many of the issues that you people are talking about. Because I'm a good player, my main account has gone from aurodium to kyber with 1 GL and I don't think I've had a single opponent with an even number of GL in weeks. It's extremely unsatisfying to win because you opponent doesn't play the game mode. I'm so outmatched in almost every matchup that if my opponent put even the smallest amount of effort in they could beat me just because of the roster GP differences. They have the same toys I have but better and more of them. I shouldn't win on paper but I do and I keep climbing. I'm almost to k2 with main and literally just unlocked my second GL. My alt has gone from bronzium to aurodium and if I win a few more matches this month I'll be in aurodium 1 when the month ends and the account will move up to kyber. That account has zero GL and has gone from placing 5 teams on D to placing 9 teams on D this month and an extra fleet. If I move to kyber the account has to place 11 teams on D. There's no way my alt is remotely prepared to put 11 teams and 2 fleets on D. My alt is making a crap ton more crystals that I used to get but the matchups are exhausting. How do you plan to beat an account that has 3 GL to your 0 without them being terrible? The answer is your can't. You either go full offense or full defense and roll the dice to see if your opponent actually knows what they are doing or not and hope they don't show up. I'll take the free crystals but my enjoyment from the game mode has been decreasing with each week because I just am starting to lose interest in playing. There's nothing fun about playing from a disadvantage 100% of the time.

To the guy on here talking about the really low leagues, my wife has a brand new 1.2 mil GP account and I can attest to what you are describing. She's crunched on credits just trying to get her starting teams to lvl 85 and get her first few G13 characters and a few relics and she's getting matched with opponents that are as big as my alt account which is in aurodium but they are sitting in carbonite. These losers that aren't playing but just going for crystals are no fun to play. All they have to do is set a defense and attack with leftover and she has no chance of winning. How do you plan on beating an account when all they have to do is put two of their good teams down a and you lose? Reality is she wins a lot of them because they don't try but is that fun? I know she's not enjoying it. The wins don't feel like wins. They just feel like a scrub not trying. Where does that end for her? She's on the bottom rung. She'll be playing from a disadvantage from now until she decides to quit.

I love this game mode and I'm still winning so I'm not going to whine that it's terrible. I like the gems. I don't miss arena climbs at all, even though I get less crystals now. I do what to feel a level of satisfaction for winning my matches. When I win matches I have no business winning it's not satisfying in the least.

edit: After thinking about this a little more I will say that them taking the crystals out of squad arena and putting them in gac though has opened up the game and made roster building much more enjoyable. So even if the matchups are difficult I'll take that over being stuck farming meta almost 100% of the time.
    Post edited by Fingaz on
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Don't mean to ruin your brag, but being in kyber with 1 GL is far from extraordinary. I even got lucky and drew the 1guy with no GLs this round.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Don't mean to ruin your brag, but being in kyber with 1 GL is far from extraordinary. I even got lucky and drew the 1guy with no GLs this round.

Conversely, I bet there’s someone with 1GL in carbonite. (Also thanks for the affirmation on the low end account experience Fingaz.)
  • Options
    Metasly wrote: »

Maybe they should create brackets trying to have a range of 1/2 GP between the max GP and least GP players, wich would adressses your problem.

I don't have the numbers but if there isn't enough "active low GP" players like you to create a large enough number of brackets it wouldn't be a good solution

There are literally 10s of thousands of carbonite level players. Surely we could make many competitive brackets of ppl who really want to play. That said, my new bracket is better than my last (only half the members overmatch me) so hopefully this tend continues.
  • Options
    It still baffles me how so many people don't play GAC. I understand not liking it; and under the old system it wasn't that big of a deal if someone didn't play. But right now, when there's so many crystals on the line, thousands upon thousands still refuse to play this mode. Why? Are people allergic to free crystals? Nobody is forcing you to go hardcоre (extensive scouting of enemies and their histories, changing up defenses every round, coming up with attack plans, remodding for GAC etc.). But at least try to casually wing it. It's pretty much free crystals after all, for barely any effort (if you don't go hardcоre as I said above). Are thousands of crystals not worth 15-30 mins of your time every day? Why even play the game if your crystal income is cut by so much due to you not playing GAC?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    It still baffles me how so many people don't play GAC. I understand not liking it; and under the old system it wasn't that big of a deal if someone didn't play. But right now, when there's so many crystals on the line, thousands upon thousands still refuse to play this mode. Why? Are people allergic to free crystals? Nobody is forcing you to go hardcоre (extensive scouting of enemies and their histories, changing up defenses every round, coming up with attack plans, remodding for GAC etc.). But at least try to casually wing it. It's pretty much free crystals after all, for barely any effort (if you don't go hardcоre as I said above). Are thousands of crystals not worth 15-30 mins of your time every day? Why even play the game if your crystal income is cut by so much due to you not playing GAC?

It's not even every day.... every other day after initial defense set. And that's while it's actually running. But those crystals come to the inbox everyday.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    This is a huge issue at the bottom rungs where there are a lot of casual players. When you can’t fall any farther but still get that daily for being in the ranks it makes it no fun for the folks who showed up to play.

Thing is, though, that a casual player is going to continue to advance up the GAC ladder because they're going to beat those mismatches at the bottom (unless the high GP player decides to be active that day, which seems unkikely or else they would be higher, know what I mean?) and then surpass where those folks are and reach other casual players.

It's a temporary problem. I just wish it wasn't such a surprise for people who just unlock GAC and their first opponent is huge--that's not a good first impression for the mode to make, temporary or not.

Yeah it’s very de-motivating. It encourages the exact behavior I describe. I am tempted to essentially ignore GAC (to the minimum to get income) and work my roster and zetas for a while until I can actually make a move. Then I will have to ignore/fall for a while until I feel I can move up again. Fits and starts with huge swings and most of the time spent where my acct is just dead weight annoying anyone who happens to be actually playing.

This system is way better than the old one. Crystals aside (which is huge), it does encourage roster building. Look at my old GAC history. I won 50 straight matchups at one point. Why? Because I never touched my roster other than GLs and got easy matchups all the time. Now that is gone, and I am encouraged to do things like work on my Troopers or my MM team without worrying about how it will negatively affect my matchups.

(And before anyone says it, yes those are good teams - but not worth losing a GL advantage over.)

Nothing has changed. If you are working on anything else before you have all the GLs you are wasting your time.
  • Options
    The whole issue with gac, is that people dont really understood that for a certain level you need a certain account.

Like i have 3 gl in kyber 2 where the average is 5 so naturally i will be screwed most of the time until i catch back up. The hardest part is to have the mental strength to go with it when you have lstb and cuntquest overlap gac. Essentially if you would be able to win your ability to think out a strategy and work on it is killed by the time restraint due to conquest.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    All the whinings here are about GL differences. How it ruins the fun going up against people with more GLs than you (on paper of course).

Guess once you got all GLs, there is no excuses anymore. You have to have fun...
  • LastNeuron
    112 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Antario wrote: »
    You have to have fun...

you have a weird concept of fun
  • Options
    Antario wrote: »
    All the whinings here are about GL differences. How it ruins the fun going up against people with more GLs than you (on paper of course).

Guess once you got all GLs, there is no excuses anymore. You have to have fun...
    I have no GL...i beat guys with ONE GL on occasion...usually becuase the rest of their roster is not as good as mine. They get one unstopable attack or one unbeatable defense (or close)...but GAC requires more than that.
    There is more to GAC than the number of GLs, roster value and win ratios...i am under the impression some players think they should win most GAC battles...and that is a bit difficult to justify...each win requires someone to lose...
  • Intimmydation
    681 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I just got my 1st GL last week, so this is the first round of GAC I will have him, and I think this new GAC format has been way better than the past.

I am outmatched in 100% of my matches, have been the lowest GP in the pod every round since the start, and now by a considerable amount. I have a pretty good record against people with just 1 GL, and have even beaten 2 GL players (again with 0 GL myself). There is def some strategy involved.

I just bloated up to 4M this week for Hard conquest (and bloated right before the new format to get placed in Chromium from the start)...and have moved from Chromium 5 to Aurodium 1...nearly made it to Kyber after last season all without a GL....came up 19 skill ratings short.

Went 3-0 last round in Auro 2 against accounts 6-7M vs my sub-4M
  • Phoenixeon
    1843 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Tintguy wrote: »
    If it's not fun, stop playing

Can’t. Need the crystals.

Deploy defences.
    Remember to attack at least once.
    Do nothing, let auto def do their job.
    Do nothing, let auto def do their job.

Sure. Exactly the behavior that’s killing the fun. While we’re at it CG can just auto-sim all the matches and give my rank/rewards accordingly. Turn it into a full on idle game. I’ll log in twice a week to sim for gear and sim the occasional event and spend my “hard earned” crystals. What fun.

In seriousness though, this is the reality for new/casual players who didn’t spend levels 1-85 hyper focused on a tight farming path. The fun ends. Conquest is ok but I can’t clear even easy mode and it doesn’t come around often. My guild are nice folks but we are not strong enough for TW. GAC was the only thing that was promising engaging play and encouragement to build my teams by battling my peers. I really am just simming my dailies and auto helping on raids at this point. It’s a bummer.

What, you said GAC is not fun anymore, and you need crystals, so this comes up.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Conversely, I bet there’s someone with 1GL in carbonite. (Also thanks for the affirmation on the low end account experience Fingaz.)

To put things into perspective I started out in the new GAC in chromium 2 with 3 GL's.

I have made it to kyber 2 now, but all my opponents between C2 and K2 have all had between 1-4 GL's.

• Options
    GAC feels chore and taxing to me too at times, but it's not even close compared to most other game modes. Almost all the PvE modes are incredibly repetitive by now. So are the Squad Arena and Fleet Arena. If fighting 5 pretty much same battles every day during a preset time window isn't the definition of chore, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    GAC feels chore and taxing to me too at times, but it's not even close compared to most other game modes. Almost all the PvE modes are incredibly repetitive by now. So are the Squad Arena and Fleet Arena. If fighting 5 pretty much same battles every day during a preset time window isn't the definition of chore, I don't know what is.

I don't know what bracket you are in but where I am it is the exact same teams every round. It is every bit as repetitive and boring as TB. Every once in a while (half the time) I pull someone with more GLs that isn't an ****. So I get to waste a bunch of time on a battle that isn't winnable. That is totally fun.
  • Options

Well, GAC is about to become fighting 11 same ground teams and 2 same fleets every 2 days for me. To me, it is chore too now. Sometime same easier 11 teams to kill, sometime same set of harder 11 teams to kill. And no matter how I do, on average I am going to be 50% win rate in the end. If I lost a bracket because I make a bunch of careless or stupid moves, no problem, it just draws a bunch of easier opponents for me for next bracket. I enjoyed GAC before and enjoying winning more than I lose against tougher rosters. Now I don’t really care as I know I will be on average 50% win rate in the long run.

• Options
    GA was never fun it was always garbage.
  • Drim
    360 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Kyber 1 I have been squashed out from CG it’s lame. 1st round 7 wins 2nd round 7 wins 3rd GAC squashed out to kyber 2
  • Ghost666
    330 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    GAC feels chore and taxing to me too at times, but it's not even close compared to most other game modes. Almost all the PvE modes are incredibly repetitive by now. (...) That is totally fun.
    I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. To me (in Chromium 3) GAC matches are ALL DIFFERENT by a wide margin...have been improving my defense since GAC changed...and have to adpat to enemy roster. Then i have a different set of attacks to do. True, SOME teams will appear a lot on enemy defense (Geos, DR, Padme)...but it does change a lot on several factors (placement, levels, the other teams, attack vs defense, etc...). As an example, i had to fight a guy with a 1M advantage with a globally better roster, a guy with an optimized roster that had A GL and all the required toons ONLY (or close) and a guy that decided to put only 90k teams on defense. All different, 2 wins, 1 loss...fun to me.

• Options
    I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. To me (in Chromium 3) GAC matches are ALL DIFFERENT by a wide margin...have been improving my defense since GAC changed...and have to adpat to enemy roster. Then i have a different set of attacks to do. True, SOME teams will appear a lot on enemy defense (Geos, DR, Padme)...but it does change a lot on several factors (placement, levels, the other teams, attack vs defense, etc...). As an example, i had to fight a guy with a 1M advantage with a globally better roster, a guy with an optimized roster that had A GL and all the required toons ONLY (or close) and a guy that decided to put only 90k teams on defense. All different, 2 wins, 1 loss...fun to me.
    It's because all the people complaining about the new GAC system are in Kyber 1-3...where they all have the exact same max rosters and set the same defenses. It was like that as well in the old system, so I don't know why they complain other than the GL discrepancy which didn't happen AS much in the old system at high levels.

For the MAJORITY of the community who are not in Kyber, we are seeing different matchups every time and overall everyone I have talked to enjoys it. It's just the vocal people on the forums are usually those in Kyber...not representative of the overall swgoh player base.
  • Options
    It's because all the people complaining about the new GAC system are in Kyber 1-3...where they all have the exact same max rosters and set the same defenses. It was like that as well in the old system, so I don't know why they complain other than the GL discrepancy which didn't happen AS much in the old system at high levels.

For the MAJORITY of the community who are not in Kyber, we are seeing different matchups every time and overall everyone I have talked to enjoys it. It's just the vocal people on the forums are usually those in Kyber...not representative of the overall swgoh player base.

I agree mostly. I'm certainly not in Kyber and I enjoy this version much better than the previous GAC setup but the big issue I take at my level are the 1-3+ million more GP than me matchups - these are 100000% guaranteed to ruin the experience. I have to hope I win by forfeit or know that I will get smashed if they choose to play. That is not fun and there's no way to spin that. I literally have to hope I dont need to play a match just so i can win? That's not engaging content.
  • Options
    sloweagle wrote: »
    Well, GAC is about to become fighting 11 same ground teams and 2 same fleets every 2 days for me. To me, it is chore too now. Sometime same easier 11 teams to kill, sometime same set of harder 11 teams to kill. And no matter how I do, on average I am going to be 50% win rate in the end. If I lost a bracket because I make a bunch of careless or stupid moves, no problem, it just draws a bunch of easier opponents for me for next bracket. I enjoyed GAC before and enjoying winning more than I lose against tougher rosters. Now I don’t really care as I know I will be on average 50% win rate in the long run.

Well, if it's "sometimes this, sometimes that", then it's not the same every time. There are still a lot of varieties - most certainly more than other modes.

I imagine in the top of K1 where everybody has every GL, and every toon maxed out, they would be facing pretty much the same teams every time. But even then, different styles would lead to different team comps and defense settings, no?

I agree that 50% WR would be the proper expectation going forward, but I also think that how much you care and how much effort you spend still affects where you are having the 50% WR. For the same roster, you could be doing 50% in A3 vs. in K3. If you don't care about the difference, why did you care if you made Kyber or not in the old format?
  • Options
    StewartH wrote: »
    I agree mostly. I'm certainly not in Kyber and I enjoy this version much better than the previous GAC setup but the big issue I take at my level are the 1-3+ million more GP than me matchups - these are 100000% guaranteed to ruin the experience. I have to hope I win by forfeit or know that I will get smashed if they choose to play. That is not fun and there's no way to spin that. I literally have to hope I dont need to play a match just so i can win? That's not engaging content.

You'd be surprised at these accounts. Sometimes I have the same feeling that if they just attack it's an auto win for them, but there is a reason these people have dropped down to the Leagues we are in. Many times they are just not that bright.

Last round on my alt at 1.7M GP, I went against accounts of 3.8M, 2.7M and 3.6M....and I went 3-0 for the week and every single one of them set defense and attacked. I probably should have lost most battles, but they just don't use great strategy.

There were plenty of times they could have easily undersized for more banners but didn't. 2 of the 3 battles I won because they somehow stumbled against my weak defense but strong Fleet defense, and the other i full cleared and won on banners because they again stumbled.

Check out the GAC history below
    https://swgoh.gg/p/283735865/gac-history/?gac=92&r=1&a=d

I don't have great defenses to set, just a couple teams that MIGHT trip someone up if they don't approach it the right way.

The key is FLEET...having strong fleets will carry you super far in GAC.
  • Options
    sloweagle wrote: »

Well, if it's "sometimes this, sometimes that", then it's not the same every time. There are still a lot of varieties - most certainly more than other modes.

I imagine in the top of K1 where everybody has every GL, and every toon maxed out, they would be facing pretty much the same teams every time. But even then, different styles would lead to different team comps and defense settings, no?

I agree that 50% WR would be the proper expectation going forward, but I also think that how much you care and how much effort you spend still affects where you are having the 50% WR. For the same roster, you could be doing 50% in A3 vs. in K3. If you don't care about the difference, why did you care if you made Kyber or not in the old format?

Right, how much I care and how much effort I spent will affect whether I stabilize at 3700 SR or 4100 SR for my 50% win rate. But it makes almost no difference in my crystal return as they are both k1. The 3700 area match was a lot of easier than 4100 area so it is counter productive to waste my energy to get to 4100 area only to have harder opponents.

Anyway, I am not complaining. I enjoy TW more, so GAC turning into a mode to spend less time on but earning more crystals is fine with me. I put all my omicrons to TW, and 0 to GAC. I am laughing at all my opponents who maximize GAC omicron. Lol
  • Options
    I’m not even sure the game in general is even fun anymore. It’s all rinse, wash, repeat these days.
  • Options
    twstdbydsn wrote: »
    I’m not even sure the game in general is even fun anymore. It’s all rinse, wash, repeat these days.

CG's given up on creating content and now putting it on the player base to amuse one another. Certainly saves on development costs.