Mace’s damage lower than expected? Am I crazy?

Prev1
Obi_six_Kenobi
370 posts Member
edited March 2022
I’m fairly new and so I am
Hoping someone can help me understand why my expectations were wrong. I expected the new mace to have much higher damage than I am seeing. His damage boosts should come from:

1) unique #2: +30% offense
2) basic: add 5% of health to damage
3) basic doing special rather than physical damage, my special damage stat for mace is about twice my physical damage stat.
4) +10% offense per stack of resilient defense (doesn’t apply to me since I don’t have enough zetas for this).

With all this I expected a pretty big jump in damage from his basic. My mace is at relic 3 and has health mods and health primary’s wherever possible. His total health is 79154, 5% of that is 3958. So I expected to see at least that much increase.

To see how much of a difference it would make I took some screen shots of him doing his basic attack on the 2nd to last cantina node, before and after the rework, both are with his basic ability maxed out, I also have his other abilities maxed out (other than two zetas and his omicron).

This is before the update:
2zdkuzl28ybp.png

And after:
8nubn9z16q82.png

I’m attacking the same character, both aren’t critical hits, before the rework the damage was 11609 and after was 12005. That’s not much of a difference, that’s not even the +3958 from the 5% of health, not to mention the 30%offense or special vs physical damage.

Can you help me understand why the damage difference is so low?
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Options
    Whoops that 2nd image is of smite, here are two showing his basic before and after.

Before
    h5i9j7498mvr.png

After
    1o1cnog9zyea.png
  • Options
    it did over 40% more damage
    hello
  • Options
    well i guess that includes the bonus damage
    hello
  • StarSon
    7465 posts Member
    Options
    it did over 40% more damage

Base damage is only about 10% higher, which is what the OP appears to be trying to compare. Although OP seems to forget that Mace is a tank, and has lower damage modifiers so is never going to do much damage.
  • Options
    Im not sure I follow your math.

18516 x 1.40 = 25922 not 20327

20327/18516 = 1.1 so a 10%increase
  • UdalCuain
    5025 posts Member
    Options
    Whoops that 2nd image is of smite, here are two showing his basic before and after.

Before
    h5i9j7498mvr.png

After
    1o1cnog9zyea.png

The white damage is the 5% of Mace's Max Health Damage, it's not included in the attack damage.
    rfbgw1e3aung.jpg
  • Options
    Im not sure I follow your math.

18516 x 1.40 = 25922 not 20327

20327/18516 = 1.1 so a 10%increase
    well i guess that includes the bonus damage

hello
  • Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »

Before
    h5i9j7498mvr.png

After
    1o1cnog9zyea.png

The white damage is the 5% of Mace's Max Health Damage, it's not included in the attack damage.
    rfbgw1e3aung.jpg

Ah, I didn’t realize that, thanks
  • Options
    So I now see where the 5% of health is coming from, 2 more questions

1) does 30% more offense not equate roughly to 30% more damage

2) does changing it from physical damage to special make any difference?
  • StarSon
    7465 posts Member
    Options
    So I now see where the 5% of health is coming from, 2 more questions

1) does 30% more offense not equate roughly to 30% more damage

2) does changing it from physical damage to special make any difference?

1) It does, but unless you happen to know what the base damage values and modifiers were prior to the rework, there's no way to know what they would be if you just applied 30% offense before.
    2) Not real sure, but probably not.
  • 24_Tuesdays
    1198 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    wouldnt armor or defense also come into play
    hello
  • StarSon
    7465 posts Member
    Options

It would, but they at least compared against the same enemy, so those values would be the same. There is also variance, so the first one could have been higher than normal and the second one lower than normal.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    What gear / relic is your windu, OP?
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    What gear / relic is your windu, OP?

Relic level 3

3im2nwut3bv0.png
  • Options
    It also looks like the ability previously did physical damage, whereas it’s now doing special damage. Defense/Resistance may be coming into play.
  • Options
    It seems like physical vs special should make a difference

8flz37qx6sp1.png
    plaurt9edpfz.png
  • Options
    wouldn't armor or defense also come into play
    StarSon wrote: »

It would, but they at least compared against the same enemy, so those values would be the same. There is also variance, so the first one could have been higher than normal and the second one lower than normal.

isnt there someone with attack variance on basic written into the kit

lando maybe

not relevant here just remembered that when you mentioned varince
    hello
  • Options
    and the text editor saved my previous post again

why does it do that

hate it
    hello
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options
    Did you happen to remod for the rework? You might have removed damage.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Did you happen to remod for the rework? You might have removed damage.

I did remod for the rework, but did it before the changes took place and kept the same mods for the before and after pics
  • Options
    … what were you expecting? 30% damage increase + the 5% Mace Health damage?
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think I figured it out. Old basic did +50% damage if he was above 50% health.
  • Options

Ah yes, I think your right, good catch, thanks
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options

Ah yes, I think your right, good catch, thanks

That actually may not be all of it. I'm trying to do the math backwards and still getting like 6,000 for your physical damage, which is not what your stats say. Wondering if more GR in the top photo was doing something, but I can't find anything.
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Like if he had Offense Up in the first picture, that would explain the damage. But I can't see that he has any buffs.

Having a 36% CD triangle in the first one but not the second would also explain it. What's the lock icon in the second one? Something with your video recorder?
  • Options
    Like if he had Offense Up in the first picture, that would explain the damage. But I can't see that he has any buffs.

He didn’t have any buffs, I tried hard to make sure there wasn’t a leader ability or buff or anything
  • Options
    The enemy you are hitting may have different armor and resistance values, which would mess with calculations a bit. Armor being the defence vs physical and resistance defence vs special.

In general, special damage is higher, but with a lower base crit chance, and character resistance is lower than armor. So usually special damage will be better but it's balanced by easier crits for physical. Damage output is really dependent on the offence modifiers for each ability, which are not presented in game. You can look them up on swgoh.gg, but it won't show you both the old and new.
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options
    The enemy you are hitting may have different armor and resistance values, which would mess with calculations a bit. Armor being the defence vs physical and resistance defence vs special.

In general, special damage is higher, but with a lower base crit chance, and character resistance is lower than armor. So usually special damage will be better but it's balanced by easier crits for physical. Damage output is really dependent on the offence modifiers for each ability, which are not presented in game. You can look them up on swgoh.gg, but it won't show you both the old and new.

That would be my first thought, but my Zam has LESS resistance than armor, and his Mace has more resistance penetration than armor penetration. So unless the PvE Zam is reverse, he should see even more of a benefit of new Mace.

OP, what is your crit damage? If it's 1.5, your second picture matches up, but your first is doing too much. If it's 1.86, the first works, but your second is too low. So maybe this Zam has a lot more resistance. Jawa Scavenger can give her defense up, but she doesn't seem to have it.
  • Options

That would be my first thought, but my Zam has LESS resistance than armor, and his Mace has more resistance penetration than armor penetration. So unless the PvE Zam is reverse, he should see even more of a benefit of new Mace.

OP, what is your crit damage? If it's 1.5, your second picture matches up, but your first is doing too much. If it's 1.86, the first works, but your second is too low. So maybe this Zam has a lot more resistance. Jawa Scavenger can give her defense up, but she doesn't seem to have it.

It’s 1.5
    algll7t6zwz7.png
  • crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options

It’s 1.5
    algll7t6zwz7.png

Alright. Trying to find out where all the extra damage in the top photo comes from. The extra 50% on basic shouldn't account for it all unless I'm doing something very wrong. You're sure that is the right screen shot and it's the same mods?