What is the meaning of the colors of damages?

Hi all,

Could some1 please explain...

When i hit the opponents/enemies, the inflicted damages can be presented/shown in
- blue
- red
- green
- yellow

What do those colors mean?

Thanks.
Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting

Replies

• Options
    Red - Physical damage
    Blue - Special damage
    Yellow - Crit damage
    Green - Healing
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
  • Options
    nfidel2k wrote: »
    Red - Physical damage
    Blue - Special damage
    Yellow - Crit damage
    Green - Healing

Wow...thanks.
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • Kaerindal
    124 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Also, white is true damage. Think max hp type stuff that bypass resistance and armor.
  • Options
    Kaerindal wrote: »
    Also, white is true damage. Think max hp type stuff that bypass resistance and armor.

Thanks.

I think i have never seen "white" b4.

=====

BTW, what is special dmg?
    How is it different from physical dmg?

Thanks.
  • Options

Thanks.

=====

Thanks.

White damage means that it's unmitigated by armor and resistance. Every character has armor and resistance that lowers the incoming damage. Not sure how the values affect this game specifically but I'll explain the best I can.

Say you have a character with 10k HP, they have a certain armor and resistance value. Armor affects physical damage (red) and resistance affects special damage (blue). Let's say their armor gives 50% reduction and their resistance 40%. Say you have a physical attack (red) that after all calculations should do 10k damage so it should one shot you, when it factors in your armor it will be reduced by 50% and thus only hit for 5k, a special attack that does 10k would be reduced by 40% doing 6k damage. Now a true damage attack would ignore both your armor and resistance doing the full 10k and one shot your unit.

Don't confuse true damage with % health damage though because % damage can be physical/special or true damage. So if you got hit with an attack that does 50% of your health in physical damage, it will still go through the armor check and be reduced by another 50 so it would only do 50% of the 50% where's a 50% true damage would do 50% damage. Darth Malak is a great example as his special does 100% of a character's health in TRUE damage so they always die if they have no protection but other Malaks, Kylo Ren, KRU and all the GLs take reduced damage by % health attacks so you can't kill them with it.
  • Options
    I should also mention that in this game I'm not sure if all % health attacks are by default true damage (white) I think the game sometimes fails to mention this. In other games that use a similar system like league of legends for example, an example would be blade of the ruined king, it does 8% health bonus damage but since it's physical it gets mitigated by a champions armor. Or even better example is how ekko, gnar and vayne work, Ekko and Gnar do % health damage every third attack but it's special for ekko and physical for Gnar so it's not as effective as tanks but vayne shreds tanks cause she does true damage.

Exposes, thermal detonators and damage over time effects also do true damage in Swgoh
  • PeachyPeachSWGOH
    798 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Percentage health damage is not necessarily true damage.

[Edit] I might be wrong. Just took a look at some of the mechanics. Both true damage and percent health damage are classified as "effect_damage", as opposed to the normal "physical_damage" or "special_damage".
  • TheDude420
    439 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thanks.

=====

Thanks.

Ability descriptions state they inflict either Special or Physical damage. Physical (red, or yellow if a crit) is mitigated by the target opponent’s Armor. It is evaded by Dodge %.

Special damage (blue, or yellow for a crit) is mitigated by the opponent’s Resistence and is evaded by Deflection %.
  • Options

Thanks.

=====

Thanks.

You can look at your character’s stats and see special offense and physical offense if that helps any.
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    Options
    I should also mention that in this game I'm not sure if all % health attacks are by default true damage (white) I think the game sometimes fails to mention this. In other games that use a similar system like league of legends for example, an example would be blade of the ruined king, it does 8% health bonus damage but since it's physical it gets mitigated by a champions armor. Or even better example is how ekko, gnar and vayne work, Ekko and Gnar do % health damage every third attack but it's special for ekko and physical for Gnar so it's not as effective as tanks but vayne shreds tanks cause she does true damage.

Exposes, thermal detonators and damage over time effects also do true damage in Swgoh

Thermal detonators do physical damage (why they can crit). Think it was an error in the beginning and they just went with it.
  • scuba
    14068 posts Member
    Options

Thanks.

=====

Thanks.

Early in the game, basic abilities did physical damage and special abilities did special damage, then they started just have them both able to do both.
    Now most units only do physical or special damage.
    Honestly it is really dumb and should just be 2 damage types mitigated and un mitigated would actually make those 80% armor units useful.
  • Options
    Just for sake of "dmg" completeness and adding more confusion:

"Massive Damage" (from ipd or savage) is physical damage according to SWOGH mechanics. However they are displayed as "white" (true damage). Would actually make more sense, because they can't crit.

• Options

Percentage health damage is not necessarily true damage.

[Edit] I might be wrong. Just took a look at some of the mechanics. Both true damage and percent health damage are classified as "effect_damage", as opposed to the normal "physical_damage" or "special_damage".

Basically all % Health Damage is unmitigated by Defense.

They can still be reduced by Damage Reduction Unique effects though. Things like SK's Omi, GL Unique, etc.
  • GegeGerard24
    430 posts Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    ..... but I'll explain the best I can.

Thanks a lot for having taken the time to write all that.
    It is very clear. I have now understood.

Thanks again.
    You can look at your character’s stats and see special offense and physical offense if that helps any.

Yes, sorry. I am a new player.
    Just found out that the "graph" icon in the character page can be clicked and many things are explained there.

X_x.
    Thermal detonators do physical damage (why they can crit). Think it was an error in the beginning and they just went with it.

I hate Jawas x_x