Captain Drogan

Replies

• Lumiya
    1495 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It is true, that for obvious reasons (like characters already existing in the game) some GLs are the wrong version or are not really what I would consider a GL.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal, humble opinion and should be taken as only that. Others will have different views on this matter, which are just as legitimate. 🙂
    Also as info beforehand: I am not a big Fan of the sequels.

SLKR - The right version but I am not sure about him actually being worthy to be considered a GL power/reputation wise.

SEE - The wrong version, I would have prefered the Episodes IV-VI version, definitely a GL lore wise.

Rey - The right version, definitely a GL lore wise because she is -all- the Jedi (lol), I just don't like the Mary Sue aspect at all so I don't really care about the character.

Kenobi - I am a bit torn about the version. On one hand this version is the one that is a great fighter and leader, on the other hand old Ben is the wise master. Definitely is a GL lore wise.

JML - Wrong version, JKL would be my preference (his first appearance in The Mandalorian and how his skills and fighting are portrayed there). Definitely a GL lore wise.

Vader - Absolutely the wrong version! It should have been Darth Vader. Definitely is a GL lore wise.

Jabba - The right version but I would not consider him a GL. Yes he was a well known syndicate boss but there were others just as known/powerful.

Leia - The wrong version. The princess we meet in Episode IV would be my favourite or maybe the later Jedi version at least (considering the Princess is already in the game). Definitely a GL lore wise.

Edit for clarification
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options
    So a thread devoted to negativity of a new character turned into negative thoughts about versions of GL characters and why they aren’t worthy…

It’s a game people. Overthinking this is just killing your own fun. But you do you. Let ‘em live
  • Options
    Sloth243 wrote: »
    So a thread devoted to negativity of a new character turned into negative thoughts about versions of GL characters and why they aren’t worthy…

It’s a game people. Overthinking this is just killing your own fun. But you do you. Let ‘em live

Who said they are negative thoughts about GLs or the character.
    Just because people would have prefered something or someone else it does not automatically mean that they feel negative about or hate the character in question.

One can think that a GL might be the wrong version or not GL worthy without hating them or having negative thoughts about them... I for example might not think that SLKR or Jabba are GL worthy but I still think they are good GLs in the game and like them.

As for the new character this thread is about: I would have prefered an existing character, especially when it is meant to go with Leia, but that also doesn't mean I hate the character.
  • Sloth243
    183 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I never said the word hate. But many of the posts in *this* thread indicate such a sentiment

You are more than entitled to your opinion. I was simply stating how it amuses me how topics morph into other things over time. Keep it going. I’m enjoying it
  • Options
    I never said the word hate. But many of the posts in *this* thread indicate such a sentiment

You are more than entitled to your opinion. I was simply stating how it amuses me how topics morph into other things over time. Keep it going. I’m enjoying it

And I said hate or negative thoughts.
    Nuances matter and it's often not just either or.
    Disliking one thing or aspect does not equal negative thoughts about it in general.

While I agree with you that -some- comments read very negative I do not agree that every comment that states an aspect someone dislikes about the character = negativity overall.

People can voice something they dislike without having negative views about the subject in general. Constructive criticism is actually a good thing - as long as it is constructive... then it is also not negative. In a game for example it helps developers to understand the players and their views.
  • Cynyc
    271 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Seems to me the this individual was making a genuine effort in keeping their opinion grounded and fair.

Your writing, on the other hand, I’m finding to be quite ironic. Their are the words you’re writing and then there is the tone they convey, and these two are seemingly contradictory.

To be fair, though, I’m also confused as to how GL’s entered the conversation…
  • Ultra
    11531 posts Moderator
    Options
    it’s a good thing Drogan is a fictional character or else he’d be in tears over how much bullying people are doing to him for being different
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    it’s a good thing Drogan is a fictional character or else he’d be in tears over how much bullying people are doing to him for being different

Poor rose tico
  • Options

That’s a very serious accusation. Can you provide examples?
    It was CG who said "hey look everybody, we've created a toon with a limb difference!"
    Players mostly answer: "we already respect differences, the problem is you could have chosen hundreds of characters from the lore and instead you invented a new one".
  • Options

It was CG who said "hey look everybody, we've created a toon with a limb difference!"
    Players mostly answer: "we already respect differences, the problem is you could have chosen hundreds of characters from the lore and instead you invented a new one".

Except CG never said that, in fact other than the brief blurb in the marquee event and a couple of sentences in the character announcement CG was pretty low key about it, which is more than I can say for some of the outraged players that posted vitriol in this thread that subsewuently had to be deleted....

If some players prefer lore and canon characters only, then that is their preference.... They aren't the only ones playing the game though.... That being said, specifically taking exemption to a character that was created to be inclusive of diabilities is pretty low...
  • dogwelder79
    1501 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »

Except CG never said that, in fact other than the brief blurb in the marquee event and a couple of sentences in the character announcement CG was pretty low key about it, which is more than I can say for some of the outraged players that posted vitriol in this thread that subsewuently had to be deleted....

If some players prefer lore and canon characters only, then that is their preference.... They aren't the only ones playing the game though.... That being said, specifically taking exemption to a character that was created to be inclusive of diabilities is pretty low...

I also dislike 50R-T. What’s the accusation now?
    Also, something else I disagree with. I don't have a problem with Drogan having a limb difference. I have a problem with CG making it important. Inclusivity is not pointing it out, inclusivity would have been to invent that same toon without stressing his difference. They could have said "we needed a toon with these abilities for Leia and there is none in lore".
    Post edited by dogwelder79 on
  • Options

Also, something else I disagree with. I don't have a problem with Drogan having a limb difference. I have a problem with CG making it important. Inclusivity is not pointing it out, inclusivity would have been to invent that same toon without stressing his difference. They could have said "we needed a toon with these abilities for Leia and there is none in lore".

That wasn't directed specifically "at" you... More of a response to let you know that the folks Ultra was talking about regarding bullying had their posts deleted (for example the guy that called folks with limb differences "weirdos"....
  • Options

That wasn't directed specifically "at" you... More of a response to let you know that the folks Ultra was talking about regarding bullying had their posts deleted (for example the guy that called folks with limb differences "weirdos"....

Oh. I must have missed them. Maybe I have too much faith in people...
  • TVF
    36634 posts Member
    Options
    Abe_Fr0man wrote: »

Poor rose tico

Poor Kelly Marie Tran
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

Oh. I must have missed them. Maybe I have too much faith in people...

Yeah, the original posts are still in some of the quotes....
  • Options
    I take full responsibility for bringing in gls to this discussion.
  • Options
    To be fair, I hated phoenix for years. That aside, my issue with drogan, as many have pointed out, is that he's there when characters we've loved for years, and had in the films are not there.
    Yes, all of these characters are made up, Cal Kestis, Kyle Kataarn, Revan and many other characters were created for games and exist only in games. However, there's plot that goes with them, that's why they became beloved characters. I've yet to figure out the plot of swgoh. So drogan is just some guy that some other guy at cg decided to make. Inclusiveness for inclusiveness sake is disgusting. Whether that be based on race, religion, Creed, physicality, or mental health, it's disgusting because it implies someone that is different for whatever reason is inferior, therefore could not hold that position or be whatever it is without specific help. This includes when an actor or actress is chosen for a role, that is not predefined, ie there's a reason Samuel L Jackson didn't play Obi Wan, based solely on some of these traits as opposed to their ability to act.
    A great example is Reva. Many people hate her for whatever the reason is. I hate Reva, but I think that they picked the best possible actress for the role and that she performed that role very well.
    Which brings us back to drogan, why does he exist? Because someone at cg specifically decided they wanted someone with a disability in the game. If lucasfilm wanted this, he could absolutely have been introduced into another media first....there's even a show out right now that would have been the perfect media. As someone who, in spite of his limb difference, risked everything, joined the rebellion, showed that he was capable and led others in the fight against an empire that would have been actively discrimating against simply because of his disability. But no, we have a disabled person so we can have a disabled person.
  • iMalevolence
    329 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Jacgul wrote: »
    Inclusiveness for inclusiveness sake is disgusting. Whether that be based on race, religion, Creed, physicality, or mental health, it's disgusting because it implies someone that is different for whatever reason is inferior, therefore could not hold that position or be whatever it is without specific help.

lol, no. That is not at all what it implies. How do you jump from inclusiveness to implied inferiority? Given the number of named characters across star wars media, we're at a point where it's expected to see characters with congenital differences.
    This includes when an actor or actress is chosen for a role, that is not predefined, ie there's a reason Samuel L Jackson didn't play Obi Wan, based solely on some of these traits as opposed to their ability to act.

What? I'm guessing Samuel L. Jackson didn't play Obi Wan because they released the first movie back in '77, when SLJ was only 29 years old. Doesn't quite fit the bill of old man. And it'd be weird to get that role and reprise it 2 decades later as a younger version of ones self.
    Which brings us back to drogan, why does he exist? Because someone at cg specifically decided they wanted someone with a disability in the game. If lucasfilm wanted this, he could absolutely have been introduced into another media first....there's even a show out right now that would have been the perfect media. As someone who, in spite of his limb difference, risked everything, joined the rebellion, showed that he was capable and led others in the fight against an empire that would have been actively discrimating against simply because of his disability. But no, we have a disabled person so we can have a disabled person.

We have a person because people exist.
  • Options
    Also, using a flamethrower in a forest is not very heroic.
  • Jacgul
    233 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

No, we have a combattant, an officer no less. With a grade typically commanding a company.
  • Options
    And that's a problem, why?
  • Options

How did he get the rank?
  • iMalevolence
    329 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

How did he get the rank?

> An expert tactician and technician

Seems to me like CG already explained how he moved up ranks.
  • Options

How did he get the rank?

Nope, rebel fighter tag. Tacticians and technicians aren't frontline combatants the way every other rebel fighter is.
  • Options
    sounds about like using welders on dogs
  • Options

How did he get the rank?

Nope, rebel fighter tag. Tacticians and technicians aren't frontline combatants the way every other rebel fighter is.

Also, this is a mobile game based on a
    Sci-fi universe. Attempting to apply real world logic is silly. Go ahead, explain how light speed works. Or lightsabers. Remember empire strikes back? How did they survive walking out of the Falcon in the space slug sequence when that’s in the vacuum of space? How logistically are massive ships like star destroyers built? How does (did) the HVAC on the Death Star work?
  • Options
    sounds about like using welders on dogs

Touché 😂😂😂
  • Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

So his limb difference is a missing finger (not his thumb) on his right hand that holds the keypad he punches commands into for the flamethrower. He fires his blaster with his left hand.

You’re all acting as if his limb difference makes him incapable of functioning in any meaningful way on the “front lines.” This is the exact opposite intent of cg when creating the character. The point of the character is he is still capable of being a valuable fighter despite missing a finger and presumably, though not stated, having a weaker right arm.
  • Cynyc
    271 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Here’s my complaint:

If they’re gonna give us an OT Leia GL, I know there are more than enough recognizable characters simply from the OT movies alone to fill a five person squad.

I don’t understand why they would create a new character and make him a core component of a GL OT Leia squad.

Why not just make him a leader / lifter for some unused rebels / rebel fighters?

Should captain Drogon be in the game? Sure, why not? Should he be alongside GL Leia, considering there are so many great choices? No, imo.
  • Options
    Abe_Fr0man wrote: »

How did he get the rank?

Also, this is a mobile game based on a
    Sci-fi universe. Attempting to apply real world logic is silly. Go ahead, explain how light speed works. Or lightsabers. Remember empire strikes back? How did they survive walking out of the Falcon in the space slug sequence when that’s in the vacuum of space? How logistically are massive ships like star destroyers built? How does (did) the HVAC on the Death Star work?

Real world logic doesn't apply, however, when you pick and choose where the in universe logic applies, lightsabers lethality when stabbed into the stomach or chest, how the force works, those sorts of things, things go to crap.
This discussion has been closed.