Captain Drogan

Replies

• Options
    Drathuk916 wrote: »
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

So his limb difference is a missing finger (not his thumb) on his right hand that holds the keypad he punches commands into for the flamethrower. He fires his blaster with his left hand.

You’re all acting as if his limb difference makes him incapable of functioning in any meaningful way on the “front lines.” This is the exact opposite intent of cg when creating the character. The point of the character is he is still capable of being a valuable fighter despite missing a finger and presumably, though not stated, having a weaker right arm.

I assume your statement is based on years of your own years of military experience and multiple deployments right? Because if it's not, believe me, you won't won't win that. This winter I'll have spent 38 months deployed. No, having a weaker arm you can't be a part of any military team, same problem I have with echo, because guess what, when someone goes down, if you can't carry them, you're worse than useless. It is never acceptable to be the weakest link in any military capacity. If he's a rebel fighter and a captain, it means he got given that rank, goes back to my initial post. He could never have possibly earned it through military operations doing a combattant job.
  • Options
    Yes. In the real world I’d assume you’re correct. I won’t pretend I know squat about military conflict. But this isn’t the real world. In this universe military engagements include fighting alongside ~3’ tall bears. In this universe a blaster shot can be stopped in mid-flight. I think trying to apply real world logic makes everything go to crap.
  • Jacgul
    233 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Abe_Fr0man wrote: »
    Yes. In the real world I’d assume you’re correct. I won’t pretend I know squat about military conflict. But this isn’t the real world. In this universe military engagements include fighting alongside ~3’ tall bears. In this universe a blaster shot can be stopped in mid-flight. I think trying to apply real world logic makes everything go to crap.

So where do you draw the line? No one dies from lightsaber wounds? Blasters are nerf darts? Clones were bread as super soldiers for no reason because according to you it doesn't matter? We have decades of lore that have framed the rules and logic of star Wars, and especially in the martial aspects, it's been quite clear that it's the same. Whether the old Republic Commando novels or the new clone wars, we have a very clear picture of what war is in star Wars. And it looks almost identical to war on earth, just on a grander scale.
    And a 3 foot tall bear would have little to no trouble ripping a human limb from limb.
  • Options
    Jacgul wrote: »

So where do you draw the line? No one dies from lightsaber wounds? Blasters are nerf darts?

I didn’t know this was a thread about the show Ahsoka.

i agree with all that you stated
  • Abe_Fr0man
    150 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Honestly? I just don’t care enough about this world to be so passionate about it. I grew up on Star Wars, I started playing this game when it came out, but I just don’t have the bandwidth to try and decide when and where certain logics begin and end (except midichlorians- I guess I care enough to hate them). It’s just silly fun entertainment and a game I play while I poop. I appreciate this back and forth, though, friend!

EDIT: grammar
  • Options
    Honestly? I just don’t care enough about this world to be so passionate about it. I grew up on Star Wars, I started playing this game when it came out, but I just don’t have the bandwidth to try and decide when and where certain logics begin and end (except midichlorians- I guess I care enough to hate them). It’s just silly fun entertainment and a game I play while I poop. I appreciate this back and forth, though, friend!

EDIT: grammar

we know this. many just don’t like the idea of them creating a character for a certain role, and that role cannot be fitted by this character. you tell me he was behind the customer service desk on home one and this is all fine.
  • Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

So his limb difference is a missing finger (not his thumb) on his right hand that holds the keypad he punches commands into for the flamethrower. He fires his blaster with his left hand.

You’re all acting as if his limb difference makes him incapable of functioning in any meaningful way on the “front lines.” This is the exact opposite intent of cg when creating the character. The point of the character is he is still capable of being a valuable fighter despite missing a finger and presumably, though not stated, having a weaker right arm.

I assume your statement is based on years of your own years of military experience and multiple deployments right? Because if it's not, believe me, you won't won't win that. This winter I'll have spent 38 months deployed. No, having a weaker arm you can't be a part of any military team, same problem I have with echo, because guess what, when someone goes down, if you can't carry them, you're worse than useless. It is never acceptable to be the weakest link in any military capacity. If he's a rebel fighter and a captain, it means he got given that rank, goes back to my initial post. He could never have possibly earned it through military operations doing a combattant job.

It's almost like the rebellion isn't some state sanctioned military with nearly limitless resources where it can turn away people for any reason, but is instead a fledgling operation, desperate for people willing to help and welcome to everyone. And, when given a chance, a person with a congenital difference was able to participate and offer meaningful contributions to the cause.
  • Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

I respect your military service first and foremost. That said, I will also disagree that you can apply military norms in the real world to the rebel alliance. Han Solo is a general after less than four years in the alliance, so is lando in less than a year. So ranks can’t be said to follow a normal military order compared to the real world.

Now, I actually assume by “earn his rank” you were discussing his capability on the battlefield and not duration in the military organization. All we’ve been told is he has a limb difference and had it described as a disability. Cg hasn’t quantified the severity. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion it’s a disqualifying disability. It may very well be in a real world military or even a real world rebel alliance in desperate need of people. The point is you’re assuming it’s disqualifying. I’m assuming he improvised, adapted, and overcame any limits he had and did it to a level satisfactory to the people he fought with and for. Both are reasonable assumptions as this is, after all, a fictional character in a fictional universe.

Ymmv
  • Options
    Slightly on/off topic but from another video game Mass Effect, your pilot for all 3 games can't use his legs at all. He gives alot of info and backstory on his disease but it still doesn't stop him from being one of the best pilots in the game.

Having disabilities isn't a problem especially when modern or future tech can help solve the problem. It also depends on the universe that it is set in. Were i see it, the SW universe has plenty of I option where people like Drogon can get by fine. I can see how Drogon would be part of the Rebellion and be Frontline. One missing finger isn't too much of a hinder and Rebels aren't too picky on their roster choice. Considering probally alot of recruits still went empire, the Rebellion couldn't afford to turn away people. This is true even in real modern conflicts were people are rebelling. Everyone who wants to rebel will, not just the inshape fighting force.
  • Options
    Oh, and lest I forget to also add: I %1,000 want Nien Nunb and of course would have preferred them to a newly-minted character.
  • Options
    Oh, and lest I forget to also add: I %1,000 want Nien Nunb and of course would have preferred them to a newly-minted character.

This is something I can absolutely get behind. Cg, as usual, disappointed many of us by its decision.
  • Options
    Just to nitpick, it's not just that he's missing a finger: his whole right arm is shorter compared to the left, it appears to be some form of radial longitudinal deficiency.

I'm not saying that disqualifies him from participating in a desperately under-resourced and under-staffed Rebellion taking place in a fictitious universe.
  • Options
    py5nef88fira.jpg

Clones were bread as super soldiers for no reason because according to you it doesn't matter?

• Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

You mean vader should sit back in the office and read those papers, not fighting rebels and jedi in the frontline.

Stop taking realworld experiences into fiction universe.
    If taking about realworld experiences, well Darth vader is a cyborg, those bionic parts breaks, not functioning all the day, especially he's fighting in the frontline. the empire will have a large engineering team with spare parts and doctors around him all the time to keep him alive. So that make sense? No, but its in a fiction universe so why not just let it go?
    Post edited by Phoenixeon on
  • Options
    Since you all mentioned it, that picture just makes me think, "Quaid...start the reactor."
  • Ultra
    11532 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    it’s a good thing Drogan is a fictional character or else he’d be in tears over how much bullying people are doing to him for being different
    Players mostly answer: "we already respect differences, the problem is you could have chosen hundreds of characters from the lore and instead you invented a new one".

why is that a problem tho

Why make it a problem?

Just accept it and move on

Wow I can't believe DC made The Flash when we already have Superman with super speed

Wow I can't believe DC made Wonder Woman the problem is we already have a Superman so why invent a new one with the same powers

Wow I can't believe we have two transformers when the first one already can transform

Wow I can't believe they introduced a new car in the fast and the furious franchise when we have 10 movies worth of cars to choose from instead they invented a new one for the latest car heist
  • Options
    I just love how the relative arm strength of a single dude is a credibility issue in a battle where a high-tech army with armor, air support and laser cannons get crushed by sticks and stones.
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

You mean vader should sit back in the office and read those papers, not fighting rebels and jedi in the frontline.

Stop taking realworld experiences into fiction universe.
    If taking about realworld experiences, well Darth vader is a cyborg, those bionic parts breaks, not functioning all the day, especially he's fighting in the frontline. the empire will have a large engineering team with spare parts and doctors around him all the time to keep him alive. So that make sense? No, but its in a fiction universe so why not just let it go?

irl most people don’t have the force. and vader war rarely on the front lines. he walked in to the hoth base and fought luke a couple times. that’s it. also he choked some of his friends.
  • Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

It's almost like the rebellion isn't some state sanctioned military with nearly limitless resources where it can turn away people for any reason, but is instead a fledgling operation, desperate for people willing to help and welcome to everyone. And, when given a chance, a person with a congenital difference was able to participate and offer meaningful contributions to the cause.

if he is such an expert tactician, why would he be risked on the front lines, especially with a weaker arm. he should be, like i said, working an equally important job in the customer service area of home one.
  • Options
    The point of this "game" is to collect the characters we like from Star Wars media.

GBA exists. GBA named Flun Flac doesn't.

Endor Rebel Captains exists. Rebel Captain Drogan doesn't, and giving him a name doesn't add anything anyone wants.

Weird robot from OR era with a serial number surely can exist. Perhaps acceptable, but borderline in my opinion.

Why add obscure fanfic toons when there are plenty of more "official" toons that more players will recognise and want to add to their collection? There are literally thousands of them just waiting to be added.

To be honest, if the toons weren't Star Wars, we wouldn't be playing. Probably a good idea not to forget that.
  • Options
    blzvty2xgtp0.jpeg

if he is such an expert tactician, why would he be risked on the front lines, especially with a weaker arm. he should be, like i said, working an equally important job in the customer service area of home one.

Because you probably want a tactician on the front lines with direct access to all of the data in case communications get jammed and you can't contact a tactician elsewhere? The mission was do or die, they needed talented individuals on the ground to increase the odds.

I have no clue why any of this is contentious. Some of you are throwing an absolute fit for no reason.
  • Options
    it’s a good thing Drogan is a fictional character or else he’d be in tears over how much bullying people are doing to him for being different
    Players mostly answer: "we already respect differences, the problem is you could have chosen hundreds of characters from the lore and instead you invented a new one".

Why make it a problem?

Sheesh, I really hope you never have a complaint about anything. Fortunately, if you ever do, I guess the solution is oh so simple. “Why make it a problem? Just accept it and move on.”

It’s a problem because it’s a problem. Inserting a fan fiction character into a galactic legend squad feels undeserved.

You know how CG made a point of saying “we don’t want you to have to break up your CLS squad for GL Leia”?

Know why? Because we like it when characters who are together in the story-telling are also together in their squads.

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for that logic to apply to CLS but not GL Leia. Arguably, a galactic legend deserves better.

Everything you said afterwards is just one bad straw-man after another.

• Options
    It’s pretty clear the fervent complaints are thinly veiled bigotry at this point.
  • Gabe9876543210
    276 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Wow x 4

Can't argue with those wows, but aren't they also the reason we stopped paying to go watch those rehash types of movies anymore? I know I won't.

• Options
    Cynyc wrote: »

Why make it a problem?

Sheesh, I really hope you never have a complaint about anything. Fortunately, if you ever do, I guess the solution is oh so simple. “Why make it a problem? Just accept it and move on.”

It’s a problem because it’s a problem. Inserting a fan fiction character into a galactic legend squad feels undeserved.

You know how CG made a point of saying “we don’t want you to have to break up your CLS squad for GL Leia”?

Know why? Because we like it when characters who are together in the story-telling are also together in their squads.

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for that logic to apply to CLS but not GL Leia. Arguably, a galactic legend deserves better.

My favorite story telling moment was when Luke was escorted by Han, Chewie, Chewie, C3PO, and C3PO. Definitely a great on screen moment.
  • Cynyc
    271 posts Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Well, that’s a fun, sarcastic quip that doesn’t invalidate the point whatsoever.

Luke saw each of those characters at one point or another in Empire, and had adventures with them throughout the trilogy, whether you’d like to get bogged into the semantics of the combination of two characters or not.

Can’t remember seeing Drogon on screen next to Leia at any point in any trilogy, unfortunately. Almost like the character never existed, but a whole lot of other ones did who could rightfully be put beside a galactic legend.
  • Options
    People are still complaining about a new SW character? Must be a slow time in their life.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Internet arguments, never ending source of entertainment. This is one all over the poor fellow.
  • Options
    Cynyc wrote: »

Why make it a problem?

My favorite story telling moment was when Luke was escorted by Han, Chewie, Chewie, C3PO, and C3PO. Definitely a great on screen moment.

I personally loved when lando leia krrsantan teamed up with boba and jabba
  • Options
    It’s pretty clear the fervent complaints are thinly veiled bigotry at this point.

The funny part is, we never had scout trooper in the game before.... The scout troopers were a huge part of Return of the Jedi.... The only complaints I saw was because they made Scout trooper a female....

Now, here we are with Drogan who is a rebel trooper (also and important part of ROTJ), and it's a whack of complaints because he has a limb difference..... Lol.....
This discussion has been closed.