Jam negatively affects scores

We will likely not see any revision to the Jam ability, but I thought I would throw a couple ideas here anyway, since we may see something like it in the future.

1. Rather than having Jam reduce the health of future enemies directly, give allies +100% TM when new enemies enter. The effect is like a free shot that reduces the **current** health of the enemies rather than the **max** health of the enemies, thus giving the heroes the full score for defeating them, but easing up the future difficulty. Jam used in this way does not come into play until new enemies are summoned (just as happens now). It also has the story-telling effect that it resembles ambushing the ImpTroops, which is thematically appropriate since jamming would mean that they weren't warned of incoming enemies, so they're not actively fighting back until after your first shot.

2. A certain amount of Jam on a character gives that one character +100% TM and resets Jam to zero. The storytelling here isn't as compelling, but it does allow you to cycle through cooldowns a bit more quickly. I mention it because there might be a future raid where this makes more sense.

3. Jam functions oppositely to how it does now: you give Jam to your enemies, and if they gain enough, they lose a turn (similar to a stun) presumably because they're trying to use an ability that is disabled by your electronic interference. This makes your enemies less capable without reducing max health, again making it possible to gain the same scores while using Jam.

4. Jam reduces your cooldowns by 1 at first but more than 1 later in the battle. This simulates the enemy taking turns to deal with the jam rather than fight, but without giving you a free shot at them. Though it doesn't have to, this could occur only when new enemies enter, so that your specials are available (or more likely to be available) from the beginning -- the rationale being that since the enemies were jammed, they took longer to show up which allowed you a single "turn" outside of normal combat where your cooldowns cycled, but there was nothing to shoot at.

5. All allies gain Advantage for their first turn after new enemies enter, all enemies gain Accuracy Down for their first turn. This occurs only if you have sufficient Jam. For less Jam there can be no effect or half effect (e.g. allies gain advantage, but enemies do not gain Accuracy Down OR all allies gain advantage, but all these buffs disappear as soon as one ally scores a critical hit, while all enemies critically hit by this attack gain Accuracy Down for one turn -- which could be all enemies if the attack was an AoE)

6. Reduce the Enrage timer by 10% when new enemies enter. This doesn't make things easier during normal play, but it does give the player more time to try to beat the last wave before Enrage kicks in. This would require enough Jam that it would be impossible to trigger more than 3 times and unlikely to trigger more than twice. The rationale here is that the Enrage timer is cumulative. It doesn't start over for each new wave of enemies. But maybe it should, if the new enemies aren't communicating with the earlier enemies because of Jam. Effectively Jamming delays the reactions of the enemy, in this case the reaction to Ally attacks that help stack Enrage.

7. More than one of these. If Jam is cumulative over the course of the battle, it would be easy to imagine +100% TM after wave 1, CD reduction after W2, TM + CD reduction after wave 3, TM+Enrage reduction after W4, TM + Advantage+AccDown after W5, Everything after W6.

Again, I know that CG is unlikely to change the raid now, but adding abilities which reduce player scores if used seems a bad idea, especially when there are thematically appropriate and story-appropriate ways to represent Jam that would not cause such problems.

Replies

• Options
    Just press auto? It's a terrible, nauseating raid and I can't wait for it to be replaced.
  • Options
    Not everyone is just pushing auto. Some guilds want the best score they can get.

I do find Jam rather useless for the most part and just avoid using ability with jam on it.
  • Options
    I really like the idea of the first option, jamming equipment means you can ambush the next wave.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    You just got Jammed!
  • Options
    You just got Jammed!
    Raspberry?

• Options
    We will likely not see any revision to the Jam ability, but I thought I would throw a couple ideas here anyway, since we may see something like it in the future.

1. Rather than having Jam reduce the health of future enemies directly, give allies +100% TM when new enemies enter. The effect is like a free shot that reduces the **current** health of the enemies rather than the **max** health of the enemies, thus giving the heroes the full score for defeating them, but easing up the future difficulty. Jam used in this way does not come into play until new enemies are summoned (just as happens now). It also has the story-telling effect that it resembles ambushing the ImpTroops, which is thematically appropriate since jamming would mean that they weren't warned of incoming enemies, so they're not actively fighting back until after your first shot.

2. A certain amount of Jam on a character gives that one character +100% TM and resets Jam to zero. The storytelling here isn't as compelling, but it does allow you to cycle through cooldowns a bit more quickly. I mention it because there might be a future raid where this makes more sense.

3. Jam functions oppositely to how it does now: you give Jam to your enemies, and if they gain enough, they lose a turn (similar to a stun) presumably because they're trying to use an ability that is disabled by your electronic interference. This makes your enemies less capable without reducing max health, again making it possible to gain the same scores while using Jam.

4. Jam reduces your cooldowns by 1 at first but more than 1 later in the battle. This simulates the enemy taking turns to deal with the jam rather than fight, but without giving you a free shot at them. Though it doesn't have to, this could occur only when new enemies enter, so that your specials are available (or more likely to be available) from the beginning -- the rationale being that since the enemies were jammed, they took longer to show up which allowed you a single "turn" outside of normal combat where your cooldowns cycled, but there was nothing to shoot at.

5. All allies gain Advantage for their first turn after new enemies enter, all enemies gain Accuracy Down for their first turn. This occurs only if you have sufficient Jam. For less Jam there can be no effect or half effect (e.g. allies gain advantage, but enemies do not gain Accuracy Down OR all allies gain advantage, but all these buffs disappear as soon as one ally scores a critical hit, while all enemies critically hit by this attack gain Accuracy Down for one turn -- which could be all enemies if the attack was an AoE)

6. Reduce the Enrage timer by 10% when new enemies enter. This doesn't make things easier during normal play, but it does give the player more time to try to beat the last wave before Enrage kicks in. This would require enough Jam that it would be impossible to trigger more than 3 times and unlikely to trigger more than twice. The rationale here is that the Enrage timer is cumulative. It doesn't start over for each new wave of enemies. But maybe it should, if the new enemies aren't communicating with the earlier enemies because of Jam. Effectively Jamming delays the reactions of the enemy, in this case the reaction to Ally attacks that help stack Enrage.

7. More than one of these. If Jam is cumulative over the course of the battle, it would be easy to imagine +100% TM after wave 1, CD reduction after W2, TM + CD reduction after wave 3, TM+Enrage reduction after W4, TM + Advantage+AccDown after W5, Everything after W6.

Again, I know that CG is unlikely to change the raid now, but adding abilities which reduce player scores if used seems a bad idea, especially when there are thematically appropriate and story-appropriate ways to represent Jam that would not cause such problems.

They should try something and this would be a good start. Why have a special work against you for getting a higher score in the only game mode it’s available? I think they missed on 3 things for this raid.

Specials should have been more powerful compared to basics. Basics are on par or better than some specials

Faction bonuses, there shouldn’t be these mismatch squads as the best comps. Comps should come from the same faction.

It’s needs some sort of final boss. All tiers are too similar.
  • Options

I think if they just changed it to reduce the amount of enrage for killing enemies instead of reducing the quality of the enemies, it might end up being worthwhile. With the ewok modifier, focusing on timber becomes a viable strategy if and only if having stacks of jam doesn't also work against the primary goal of achieving a good score.

I really would have thought ewoks would be the shining stars of this raid but trying to leverage their faction bonus results in lower scores than ignoring them completely - at least that's what I've found so far - which is unfortunate for folks that have had to relic them for platoons - or people that just enjoy using them.

If I'm wrong about that, I'd love to hear about successful strategies for leveraging the ewok faction bonus - but the way the jam mechanic applies to enemy quality erases any benefit you're getting, and you hit enrage long before a reasonable score can be achieved.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The first rule of Speeder Bike Raid is: You do not use jam!
    The second rule of Speeder Bike Raid is: You DO NOT use jam!
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Just press auto? It's a terrible, nauseating raid and I can't wait for it to be replaced.

Not onlu "auto", i want it to be able to be simmed!
    Why do i have to "baby sit" the screen while the raid is on auto?
    Better to sim it and get busy with RL again.
    Started to play: Oct 30, 2022 --- Ally code: 628-998-777 --- My links: swgoh.gg | youtube | My SWGOH journey | NORDIC KINGDOM is recruiting
  • KDC99X
    756 posts Member
    Options
    IIRC, theoretically there should be some Ewok teams that convert jam into timber the same way Troopers convert evade into damage, but according to TheGerbil it's bugged right now? Maybe if they fixed that jam would work as intended and not just be a hindrance.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Not going to be worth their time to change it on something they plan on replacing this summer. Hopefully they keep this kind of thing in mind for the new one though.
  • Options
    KDC99X wrote: »
    IIRC, theoretically there should be some Ewok teams that convert jam into timber the same way Troopers convert evade into damage, but according to TheGerbil it's bugged right now? Maybe if they fixed that jam would work as intended and not just be a hindrance.

From my testing, it doesn't seem to be bugged - the problem is that stacking jam reduces the amount of points you get per kill because you get wave after wave of the lowest quality enemies - so you hit enrage about 50-60% of the way to max score. Maybe if the amount of enrage per kill and/or per turn were scaled to enemy quality, that might help to bring it in line with what other teams are doing.

I'm not sure what Gerbil found that points to it being bugged - it could very well be the case. Maybe he can weigh in on this thread and tell us what he found.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Screerider
    1360 posts Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    You just got Jammed!
    Raspberry?
    Been wondering about it since the Raid came out, as I honestly don't remember Ewoks eating jam in Episode 3.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    You just got Jammed!
    Raspberry?
    Been wondering about it since the Raid came out, as I honestly don't remember Ewoks eating jam in Episode 3.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

yr4wg8r93jn3.png
  • Options
    Kneesa brings the jelly, cuz jam don't shake like that.