Protection in GW issues

Prev13
Is there some reason this hasn't been addressed yet? It's clearly horrible. This issue is ruining the game. Do something about the ridiculousness of protection in GW already. It is absolutely no fun to face 12 teams with protection when you lose protection by node 3. This is something that should have been figured out well before release and the fact that it hasn't been fixed yet is embarrassing.

Replies

• Options
    When is something going to be changed? I used to win GW 4 out of 5 tries before the update. Now, post update, I've not won one!!! The Protection shield puts battle fought teams at a handicap. Now, I see some people have A teams, B teams, C teams for GW and can put together killer team that still win GW. But some of us can't magically throw these teams together. I shouldn't have gone from 4/5 wins to 0/5 wins. Come on dudes. This is not cool. I've spent a load of cash, and hope this will be looked into.
  • Options
    May I asked what toons do you have now at your disposal?
  • Options
    Batdude21 wrote: »
    When is something going to be changed? I used to win GW 4 out of 5 tries before the update. Now, post update, I've not won one!!! The Protection shield puts battle fought teams at a handicap. Now, I see some people have A teams, B teams, C teams for GW and can put together killer team that still win GW. But some of us can't magically throw these teams together. I shouldn't have gone from 4/5 wins to 0/5 wins. Come on dudes. This is not cool. I've spent a load of cash, and hope this will be looked into.

How are you getting those results with a load of cash spent and i as a ftp have gotten nothing but finished GWs since the update, just like before the update? Just curious.
  • Options
    He is probably a troll or horrible tactics and stratagy
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    Dudes, give him a break no? I can totally understand someone getting a hard time with the new GW since after battle 5, you basically start each battle as a (sometimes quite steep) uphill battle, unless you have like 5 or 6 A-teams, which is not something everyone has.

I have completed my GW but it took much longer than before because I restart more battles. I'm 74 and from node 7 on, it's an Arena match every fight. Except I start with mostly depleted protection, and some of these guys have a wall of 15k protection, plus Sidious + Ren that mess up the healers' work.

Hopefully I'll get used to it, judge better when to send a suicide squad (which I had to do yesterday for the first time for a month or so), and it'll just roll. But I get that for many, it just isn't possible, not enough bench, not the right guys, whatever.... the line to walk to beat GW has become much thinner after update.

To the OP: If you give a little more info (your squad etc), it'll look more like you're asking for advice and people will likely react better... unless you were looking for a river of "me too"...

But just in case, some tricks: start with a B-team until battle 5, so you keep your A-team fresh for when it gets tough. Keep healers on the bench as long as you can. Some say that they get a team with 3 healers and it does the job provided the others are not too flimsy. And Barriss helps a lot, so you definitely want to put her on your farm list. Also, widen your bench, especially try to give protection (i.e. gear level VII) to as many chars as you can. Droids are easy to equip (require fewer gear items). Get tanks, they are very useful in suicide squads. Hope it helps, and hope you'll find your way through it.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    GW completion now depends on how many Phasma and RG teams you run into. They need to change advantage back. A whole team raining critical hits? Cmon now, that's the new one shotting
  • Qwaxort
    54 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nah. Ftp here, GW just takes longer to finish but isn't any harder than it was. Maybe you need to change your strategy. I only have a single set of maxed charaters.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    I won 100 straight GW pre update.
    Lost my first one yesterday played it for 3 hours.
    My first few post update were the easiest GW I've had in months. Clearly there is a huge range of difficulty that teams can be now.

The big problem is with ppl changing up arena teams from the meta of the past few months tons of new unfamiliar builds will show up in GW making it that much harder....which I like btw

They just need to slightly nerf difficulty in nodes 6-12.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    full f2p, finish them every day, pre- and after-update. retreating crazy much and dont end any battle with toons with a yellow healthbar. its all about timing the heals imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    My c team can't even finish battle one. My b team can't win battle 3. And my a team is dead by battle 7. And no I'm not whining, I'm a dissatisfied customer that wants a refund.
  • Options
    There are always players saying they destroy GW straight-thru with a single squad - every day. As someone who wins GW most days (8 outta 10), even after the "protection" update, I find the single-squad approach difficult to believe.

I lose characters and it takes me a number of retreats (sometimes 20+), but I do win most days as a 100% ftp player.

In no particular order, here are some GW hints/approaches that work for me:

* Run a character with a Leader ability in the Leader slot (duh, but I do see Arena teams with non-leaders)
    * Always run two healers in non-suicide squads; one is not enough.
    * If one character is being unfairly "picked on", retreat and rotate your squad positions
    * Swapping out a single character changes the AI's attack/response to you. Do this!
    * Swapping out your Leader character can drastically alter the AI's attack.
    * Have two sets of suicide squads: low-level fodder that trigger AI's cooldowns, and higher-level squad(s) that can actually damage/eliminate one or more AI characters.
    * If you're still getting slaughtered, completely exit the game (close-out) and launch it again later.

Most days I complete GW over two or three sessions (often hours apart). I don't know whether the "RNG" is real or not, but to me GW's progression becomes unreasonably difficult if attempted in a single-sitting. Seriously. When GW is trashing my teams, closing-out the game and trying again later often makes a huge difference.

I never did have success winning GW with one strong squad of 5. I started winning GW regularly when I began keeping my top 10-15 characters balanced at similar star/level/gear and not just having one squad of 5 "favorites" maxxed out way above the rest. Yes, those 10-15 characters will likely lag several levels behind your "max player level", but they are balanced and you will do better in GW and have more mix-options for Arena.

IMO/ymmv, of course. GW is difficult and requires active planning and strategy, no doubt. Have fun!!
  • Options
    Today was my hardest day since the update. I didn't lose any characters but I did retreat 4 times.
  • Xaylin
    68 posts Member
    Options
    People that say they finish with a single squad everyday are either getting lucky and falling on the easy side of the massive difficulty range or full of it. When you run into multiple high level droid teams, well built rebel teams or other strong comps you are going to lose someone, more likely multiple someone's. On the easy side I usually lose half my c team and a few extraneous characters, on the hard end of the scale I am usually filling in with scraps by the end.
  • Options
    s2m0nJi wrote: »
    There are always players saying they destroy GW straight-thru with a single squad - every day. As someone who wins GW most days (8 outta 10), even after the "protection" update, I find the single-squad approach difficult to believe.

I lose characters and it takes me a number of retreats (sometimes 20+), but I do win most days as a 100% ftp player.

* Run a character with a Leader ability in the Leader slot (duh, but I do see Arena teams with non-leaders)
    * If one character is being unfairly "picked on", retreat and rotate your squad positions
    * Swapping out a single character changes the AI's attack/response to you. Do this!
    * Have two sets of suicide squads: low-level fodder that trigger AI's cooldowns, and higher-level squad(s) that can actually damage/eliminate one or more AI characters.
    * If you're still getting slaughtered, completely exit the game (close-out) and launch it again later.

Most days I complete GW over two or three sessions (often hours apart). I don't know whether the "RNG" is real or not, but to me GW's progression becomes unreasonably difficult if attempted in a single-sitting. Seriously. When GW is trashing my teams, closing-out the game and trying again later often makes a huge difference.

I never did have success winning GW with one strong squad of 5. I started winning GW regularly when I began keeping my top 10-15 characters balanced at similar star/level/gear and not just having one squad of 5 "favorites" maxxed out way above the rest. Yes, those 10-15 characters will likely lag several levels behind your "max player level", but they are balanced and you will do better in GW and have more mix-options for Arena.

IMO/ymmv, of course. GW is difficult and requires active planning and strategy, no doubt. Have fun!!
    s2m0nJi wrote: »

Thanks for the great advise!!!! I think some folks don't realize that when your at a high level (74, almost 75) your last few GW battles are the same or even higher ranked. These battles are unbalanced now. Going into the last 4 or 5 battles, even if your at full health on your characters, your at a 1/3 health handicap.
    This is where I get killed since the update. I hope this handicap is addressed, not just the longer time it takes to complete the GW.
  • Options
    $&&))(,,(>€>#}{\~<%^#{\€£¥'??$&@;/,>!?€**%}{?¥+~|{!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I agree that is tooooo hard.
    Something is wrong.
  • Options
    Qwaxort wrote: »
    Nah. Ftp here, GW just takes longer to finish but isn't any harder than it was. Maybe you need to change your strategy. I only have a single set of maxed charaters.

+1

I run Barris lead with Yoda, QGJ, Lumi, JC. Finish easily with no deaths. Doesn't matter how Manny RG, Dooku, Sid, Phasma, Rey I run into!
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • Options
    yes please fix. i agree completely.. they did not think how the protection would affect the gw's.
    if you cant finish a gw daily how are we supposed to earn money to upgrade or characters.
  • Options

Thanks for the great advise!!!! I think some folks don't realize that when your at a high level (74, almost 75) your last few GW battles are the same or even higher ranked. These battles are unbalanced now. Going into the last 4 or 5 battles, even if your at full health on your characters, your at a 1/3 health handicap.
    This is where I get killed since the update. I hope this handicap is addressed, not just the longer time it takes to complete the GW. [/quote]

I agree 1/3 on the last 4/5 levels......****
  • Cazaan
    32 posts Member
    Options
    +1. I'm top 20 on my server and today i failed gw. If you meet several tier 9 rgs with high dmg toons you're just screwed. And it takes ages now even if you succeed because you need several tries. Not fun at all. :-(
  • Options
    They don't care about us, all they care about is what's gonna make them more money.
  • Options
    I am seriously considering whether to give my money to this game or not. It's a great concept and I love Star Wars. However, there are some serious issues, issues which make the game nothing but annoying and are actually going to make me stop playing if they are not addressed soon.

My questions to the development team are: do you listen to the players? Do you even read these forums? If you do, prove it by replying to this post. If there's no reply, I'm outta here for good.
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Options
    You need more high level high geared high star characters, so you'll have to spend more money. So GW is "working as intended"
  • Options
    I have max characters and GW is still a huge pain in the butt
  • Cazaan
    32 posts Member
    Options
    Yes and it will become worse because protection will increase in future. That's not a p2w issue.
  • Xaylin
    68 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    GW is an even more horribly disguised money grab after thia update.
  • Options
    I even pay a lot and spend a lot of time and still have a lot of trouble in GW. Protection either will make it so you lose all your guys just getting down others protection when you have none or constantly playing, retreating, and trying different characters making it 10x longer than before and it took me long enough before
  • baevar
    53 posts Member
    Options
    Run Barriss, Lumi, JC, and 2 of your choosing. Either 2 dps or a tank/dps. It's boring but it works.
  • Options
    What if protection would start re-charging if the character wasn't in the current battle? So you could throw Rey into the first couple battles and once her protection was exhausted, you could sub her out for a few battles and then bring her back once her protection is back. I feel like you could use your better characters more freely, and it promotes switching up teams to attack your opponents weakness without having to worry about spending more of your squads protection.

• Xaylin
    68 posts Member
    Options
    baevar wrote: »
    Run Barriss, Lumi, JC, and 2 of your choosing. Either 2 dps or a tank/dps. It's boring but it works.

This CAN work, it does not always work and relies heavily on getting a weak GW match up in my experience. The difficulty seems to me wildly inconsistent now, some GWs I can almost auto, some require feeding, and I am inserting scraps into my team by the end. I have three strong teams I can run, plus a whole slew of characters i can feed if necessary. Typically I start with a Jedi group heavy on healers (Barris, QGJ, Lumi, Yoda and swap between JC and Ashoka as necessary) and can usually make it to 7 or 8 before having to switch to my main team.

I have only had one GW that the Jedi team managed to last until the end. Usually consecutive droid teams or some other powerful comp like a well built rebel team forces me to switch to a team with stronger DPS or better control.