Why I believe Condoning Guild Hopping is bad for the long-term health of the game

Replies

• Smite
    259 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    ...We have two A teams. We're one guild. We're Team Instinct. Pick a side, it doesn't matter - we don't have strong and weak, we have left and right. This is what works for us.

Well said.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options
    Smite wrote: »
    ...We have two A teams. We're one guild. We're Team Instinct. Pick a side, it doesn't matter - we don't have strong and weak, we have left and right. This is what works for us.

Well said.

I agree here. Like minded folks working together. Good for you.
  • Options
    A player in my server within top 5 arena is loaded with fully geared multiple toons. This becomes unfair in the arena competition as Dolphin/Whales is under gear than a guild hopper. Good game guild hoppers.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Bora wrote: »
    @Naecabon Hi Nae, i'm happy you're here and what you said in this topic is uncontestable so far.
    I understand that you probably joined here because faintly veiled accuses were pointed to your team, and you responded clearly and politely. What i'd really appreciate, is if you could share your opinion about guild hopping, would you?

I think I did sort of a few posts ago already, not sure what else I could say?
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nae, I appreciate what your saying, do you think its a good decision to allow it?
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nate_Puppy wrote: »
    So do you think its fair to hop guilds then nae to do a heroic a day? Thats whats being discussed.

I've been actively engaged on this topic for the last couple of days and the amount of blind accusations and unnecessary hostility drove me away from paying much attention to it any more. It's grown weary watching people with little understanding of the circumstances surrounding why this topic even came in to the light so quickly in the first place take extremely condescending stances against it.

Do I think it's fair? Define fair. Do I think it's fair in that everyone has the ability to do it? Sure, I do. Do I think anyone that calls anything in gaming "cheap" is a gaming scrub and not a competitive player? Yup, absolutely do. Do I think CG is making a mistake in closing this current iteration shortly after it became so widely known, allowing those that have been attempting it before all of us the opportunity to run off with extra loot new guilds that would now attempt would not then be able to acquire? Yup, sure do.

Now ask me... do I think this is how the game should have been designed in the first place? No, probably not. It's obviously not the best system, and this obviously leads to really... weird ways of playing it. But that's in no way an unfair way to play the game, just a different one than we're accustomed to. We just need to adapt, at least for the time being.

The point is, there are two ways to argue about this topic - one way is to argue about it as if it's a discussion about morality and ethics, and another to argue about it as if it's a discussion about game design and what they should do to possibly change the system in the future. The latter I'm all about, I think it's healthy to discuss if this should change and be different in the future and how they could go about doing that. But the morality/ethics part? I don't care. I play games however they can be played if it's legit and the best method. I don't care what some think is "cheap." Usually those people are not competitive gamers and their opinion means very little to me.

The minute the devs came in and stated it's an acceptable practice, the discussion of if it's fair/cheating stopped. It's not.

But it's horrible game design, and if allowed to continue will destroy this game, I'm 100% convinced. The amount of time and effort it would take to keep up with guild hoppers would be more than 90% of the players of this game would be willing to do. I'm certain of that.

I'm in a strong guild of active players, Not the top, but a good, strong group. We all universally love to play this game. These circumstances have already started discussions that could lead to the dissolving of our group. Some are willing to put in the time and effort to guild hop, most are not. I'd bet we're not the only guild.

Anyone thinking about quitting over this should wait. There's a lot to consider about this. Here, let me point out a few things relating to how I see this whole issue -

- No one has really abused this all that heavily yet. The few people we were watching guild hop "to victory" (IE: race us for Han Solo shards) were doing so by hopping among a few guilds, and it was only a FEW INDIVIDUALS doing it, not entire guilds. It's not like 50 full people were switching across four guilds constantly.

- Setting this up takes time. Do you know why we never bothered with an "alt guild" to switch to? We're lazy. That's a lot of work. None of this is going to be set up overnight. Setting up alternate accounts, leveling them up, coordinating that sort of effort, it's not something you just snap your fingers and do. It's a lot of work. If people DO actually engage in this, it's going to take a few days / weeks to really get rolling.

- By the time those people really get this down to a science, the system is going to change. This won't be like this forever.

The thing to understand about this is that this sort of thing happens in gaming all of the time. This is not a knock on CG in any way when I say it, but it's common for competitive, hungry-for-the-win gamers to develop methods within a system that the developers never expected or thought of themselves. It's nothing new, very common in fact. Developers even rely on their top performing gamers to surprise them with new results, it's all part of the process.

In this particular case, the developers initially reacted based on the "results" of what they were seeing so far. It's innocent enough, they didn't have much to go by - no one has been really engaged in this practice. It's not this overwhelming movement, yet at least. So they made one initial statement on it and voiced their opinion, but that opinion was based on the data they had at the time. Now that they've made this statement, that data WILL change, and with it - their opinion on it. As they see, more and more, what's becoming of this new mindset, they'll realize they probably have to make some kind of changes.

Again, this isn't something that's necessarily an oversight on their end, they're just moving with the punches on this. A lot of people are screaming that the sky is falling now, and, well... CG hasn't even felt so much as a drop of rain yet. If it rains, and then pours, and then starts raining cats and dogs and the kitchen sink, yeah they'll grab their umbrellas and start agreeing with you that the sky IS in fact falling. And they'll make changes. It's inevitable. Keep in mind, their original post never even hinted at the notion of FULL alt guilds that a guild would rotate in to - you guys adapted methods based on the system within hours that probably trumped their "worst case" scenarios easily. They'll keep modifying their stance on it until they get one that really sticks with all possible outcomes.

Frankly, I just think people are over reacting. I'm stunned THIS MANY OF YOU didn't even realize this was a "thing" on day one. I mean, seriously? You're all just finding out about this now? You guys really need to start thinking out of the box more. =P
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    Options
    But those who get on this and adapt quickly will no doubt be left with a competitive edge.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    But those who get on this and adapt quickly will no doubt be left with a competitive edge.

Maybe? So what? I mean how much of an edge do you think a couple of raids is going to give them? We've done what, 13 heroics so far? And I can't tell you how many of those were furnace salvage. It's not like a couple of extra raids suddenly puts one group OVER THE TOP TO INFINITYYYYYYyyyyyy or anything. You'll barely even notice.

My hunch? This gets "changed" in a week, tops. Probably less. They'll minimize the fallout. They'll find a way to alter "guild hopping" so a full group can't migrate to another empty but fully stocked guild. How? I have no flippin' idea. They didn't think of this when they designed their system. They're going to have to get real creative and cute. We'll wait for their answers soon enough.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    This is no different than 'vader friends' exploit.
    To tolerate it at all is ridiculous.
    Nraj, in his original post on the subject was either woefully ignorant of the implications, or complicit.
  • Aenima
    23 posts Member
    Options
    Totally seems like a cop out by devs. Whales must of spoke. Very much like politics it seems.Bow to the money.
  • Annastrasza
    1766 posts Member
    Options
    They won't do anything, since guild hoppers are whales from whale guilds. They supposedly pay the bills and keeps the lights on, so devs can create content for free players.
  • ABNRAS
    564 posts Member
    Options
    Never knew there was so much Narcissism in playing video games
  • NerfDookuNow
    48 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So do you think its fair to hop guilds then nae to do a heroic a day? Thats whats being discussed.

I've been actively engaged on this topic for the last couple of days and the amount of blind accusations and unnecessary hostility drove me away from paying much attention to it any more. It's grown weary watching people with little understanding of the circumstances surrounding why this topic even came in to the light so quickly in the first place take extremely condescending stances against it.

Do I think it's fair? Define fair. Do I think it's fair in that everyone has the ability to do it? Sure, I do. Do I think anyone that calls anything in gaming "cheap" is a gaming scrub and not a competitive player? Yup, absolutely do. Do I think CG is making a mistake in closing this current iteration shortly after it became so widely known, allowing those that have been attempting it before all of us the opportunity to run off with extra loot new guilds that would now attempt would not then be able to acquire? Yup, sure do.

Now ask me... do I think this is how the game should have been designed in the first place? No, probably not. It's obviously not the best system, and this obviously leads to really... weird ways of playing it. But that's in no way an unfair way to play the game, just a different one than we're accustomed to. We just need to adapt, at least for the time being.

The point is, there are two ways to argue about this topic - one way is to argue about it as if it's a discussion about morality and ethics, and another to argue about it as if it's a discussion about game design and what they should do to possibly change the system in the future. The latter I'm all about, I think it's healthy to discuss if this should change and be different in the future and how they could go about doing that. But the morality/ethics part? I don't care. I play games however they can be played if it's legit and the best method. I don't care what some think is "cheap." Usually those people are not competitive gamers and their opinion means very little to me.
    This comment has been removed as it violates Terms of Service/http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service
    Post edited by BanthaPanda on
  • Jedi2407
    782 posts Member
    Options
    ABNRAS wrote: »

+1. And here I thought this was supposed to be just a fun game. Didn't know "SWGOH Boss" was going to be chiseled on so many headstones.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options

You have no idea... Especially call of duty type mobile games. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, could someone please explain to me why the whole point of a guild is then? Personally, I thought it was a team who won and lost together. I really thought EA / CG were trying to push the social aspects of the game. I, for one, enjoy my guild. I enjoy the camaraderie and I enjoy the advice I get from better players in the game. Unless things really went sideways, I'm not leaving or going anywhere. We haven't even done a heroic yet because we're letting the less experienced players level up so we can crush it. I honestly thought that was the point.

However, I guess I'm wrong since it's not even looked down upon and everything is working as expected. I should have known from the moment the guild reward system was set up that this was going to be a disaster. I see dudes on my server who have a new guild every few days and now I know why. I seriously can not believe that this is working as intended by the Devs. I'm not saying it's cheating, cheap, scummy or whatever, I'm saying that this cannot be what everyone had in mind.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »

You have no idea... Especially call of duty type mobile games. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, could someone please explain to me why the whole point of a guild is then? Personally, I thought it was a team who won and lost together. I really thought EA / CG were trying to push the social aspects of the game. I, for one, enjoy my guild. I enjoy the camaraderie and I enjoy the advice I get from better players in the game. Unless things really went sideways, I'm not leaving or going anywhere. We haven't even done a heroic yet because we're letting the less experienced players level up so we can crush it. I honestly thought that was the point.

However, I guess I'm wrong since it's not even looked down upon and everything is working as expected. I should have known from the moment the guild reward system was set up that this was going to be a disaster. I see dudes on my server who have a new guild every few days and now I know why. I seriously can not believe that this is working as intended by the Devs. I'm not saying it's cheating, cheap, scummy or whatever, I'm saying that this cannot be what everyone had in mind.

This - so much this.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    It's cheating, cheap, and scummy. And dumb.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Wow, dude. You sound like a complete tool here. Get off your arrogant high horse. You didn't need to reengage on this topic. Mentions of your guild were tangential. But now you come in here like God's gift to gaming to shame all the plebians who are beneath you. And guess what, now this thread is all about TI. That is your fault. Take yourself out of the conversation. Let the peasants have some shop talk. Nothing will happen to you and your precious elite gaming lifestyle if people voice discontent.

Get

Over

Your-

Self

Someone asked me directly if I thought the subject was fair. Me responding is now forbidden?

What exactly did I say that even rubbed you the wrong way? Why are so many of you ignorant to the fact I actually agree with a lot of what you have to say?
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options

Wow, dude. You sound like a complete tool here. Get off your arrogant high horse. You didn't need to reengage on this topic. Mentions of your guild were tangential. But now you come in here like God's gift to gaming to shame all the plebians who are beneath you. And guess what, now this thread is all about TI. That is your fault. Take yourself out of the conversation. Let the peasants have some shop talk. Nothing will happen to you and your precious elite gaming lifestyle if people voice discontent.

Get

Over

Your-

Self

Someone asked me directly if I thought the subject was fair. Me responding is now forbidden?

What exactly did I say that even rubbed you the wrong way? Why are so many of you ignorant to the fact I actually agree with a lot of what you have to say?

I don't think it's you....it's more, well, what the ****, at the risk of alienating people, this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/136o5HzxfJ9l5DYF8ymDojYNz1odkEDKRTgyjhWNQl_0/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    I was just browsing, thought I would add an easy solution in case no one thought f it or did something by now..

Can't we just add a timer set to one week until you can join a new guild if you leave one? Doesn't that remove the incentive to guild hop?
  • Spartamaj
    259 posts Member
    Options
    Baal wrote: »

Get

Over

Your-

Self

I don't think it's you....it's more, well, what the ****, at the risk of alienating people, this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/136o5HzxfJ9l5DYF8ymDojYNz1odkEDKRTgyjhWNQl_0/edit?usp=sharing

Wow, who did this?
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Spartamaj wrote: »

Get

Over

Your-

Self

Wow, who did this?

That doesn't matter. What's disheartening is that several members of the CG team are aware of that document, and either actively participating, in game, to execute it with their running mates, or, at best, facilitating it...leaving one of their own on a limb claiming there is no exploit, and that it's just the nature of gaming.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Spartamaj wrote: »

Get

Over

Your-

Self

Wow, who did this?

That doesn't matter. What's disheartening is that several members of the CG team are aware of that document, and either actively participating, in game, to execute it with their running mates, or, at best, facilitating it...leaving one of their own on a limb claiming there is no exploit, and that it's just the nature of gaming.

I looked over that document but don't see much there. Isn't that just saying what everyone has been saying? What exactly am I looking at that's supposed to be so shocking? Shrug.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's an exploit. It's no different than vader friends, except it involves more demonstratable malintent, and yields better rewards.

None of it is shocking. You know what you know, I know what I know, and everyone else knows what they know.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out why people responded negatively to a self appointed voice of ti on this subject, odd you even asked your previous question.

What will be shocking is if nraj keeps his word and hits exploiters with the ban hammer.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    I think the idea of guild hopping being so profitable is ridiculous but not sure why this and every other thread has to become a "whales vs all that is good in the world" thread.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    It's an exploit. It's no different than vader friends, except it involves more demonstratable malintent, and yields better rewards.

None of it is shocking. You know what you know, I know what I know, and everyone else knows what they know.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out why people responded negatively to a self appointed voice of ti on this subject, odd you even asked your previous question.

What will be shocking is if nraj keeps his word and hits exploiters with the ban hammer.

I don't know how many times I can say we never bothered to guild hop, but I'm sure by now a part of you realizes it's true and you're just hinting to the contrary because you enjoy it.

It's been explained, repeatedly, in detail, how this is nothing like the Vader thing, and yet it still gets brought up... it seems that's the only thing anyone can cling to here. If that's the best you guys have, well...
  • Jamito
    316 posts Member
    Options
    One was about removing friends and adding more from a list to gain shards.
    Another is removing members from a guild and adding elsewhere to gain shards.

Spot the difference.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Options
    All you had to do with vader was tire of your old friends and make new ones a few times.

The guild exploit involes conspiring and timing, leaving a guild, joining a guild, rejoining, etc, multiple times a week and ti members have publicly admitted doing it. You may not have collectively guild hopped but you collectively facilitated individuals doing it and you did so knowingly. That invalidates the "we" part of your assertion. You might not have. That's something.

I'm not your enemy, never was, just tried to answer your question. We agree it's pissall game design.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Jamito wrote: »
    One was about removing friends and adding more from a list to gain shards.
    Another is removing members from a guild and adding elsewhere to gain shards.

Spot the difference.

One was a method that involved adding and removing people to take advantage of a bug in the game that shouldn't have existed, and wasn't intentionally put there by the developers.

Another is removing members from a guild and adding them to a different guild so they can participate in more raids, using the system the developers designed and put in place, with zero bugs at play.

They aren't even close to the same thing. This is made even more obvious when you look at the "solution" for solving these "issues"

The first required a BUG FIX to solve.

The other requires a considerable amount of CHANGE TO THE DESIGNED SYSTEM to alter, if needed.

They are not remotely comparable.
  • Options
    Guild hopping allows players to recieve shards, gear and credits faster than someone who doesn't and for free. If they are no longer interested in making money why not give all there content away. Han may be a nice bonus but its the unfarmables that matter most. By condoning guild hopping you have just given players a way to farm these unfarmable items but for free.
This discussion has been closed.