Kylo Ren: The worst franchise character

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Kylo Ren, the main protagonist of The Force Awakens and the leading villain for the current trilogy, is without a doubt the worst character in the game with respect to his notoriety and popularity in the franchise. There are many reasons why I think that he needs to be buffed...

Well he was the absolute worst character in the new movie.....

Seems like they got him right.

Awful opinion B)

Eh, I feel like the only other characters that can compete with Kylo for just being terrible in general are Rey, Finn, and everyone else in the new movie except Chewie and BB8. And in the previous movies, except for Obiwan. And in the original trilogy.
    I think it's time we acknowledge that Star Wars movies can be very epic, but that the actors and characters are well below the average in their respective fields.
  • Options
    awbattles wrote: »
    Kylo Ren, the main protagonist of The Force Awakens and the leading villain for the current trilogy, is without a doubt the worst character in the game with respect to his notoriety and popularity in the franchise. There are many reasons why I think that he needs to be buffed...

Awful opinion B)

Eh, I feel like the only other characters that can compete with Kylo for just being terrible in general are Rey, Finn, and everyone else in the new movie except Chewie and BB8. And in the previous movies, except for Obiwan. And in the original trilogy.
    I think it's time we acknowledge that Star Wars movies can be very epic, but that the actors and characters are well below the average in their respective fields.

So basically you don't like anything about the last 4 films, why are you even a Star Wars fan?
  • Options

Awful opinion B)

So basically you don't like anything about the last 4 films, why are you even a Star Wars fan?

That is not at all what he is saying. He is saying the characters from the films don't translate well into a game, which, if you look at the leaderboards, is a bit true. Not many but a handful of the main characters from the films are top rated arena toons, say Leia, Obi, Phasma, QGJ, maybe Dooku...?

• Options
    pepper10 wrote: »

Awful opinion B)

That is not at all what he is saying. He is saying the characters from the films don't translate well into a game, which, if you look at the leaderboards, is a bit true. Not many but a handful of the main characters from the films are top rated arena toons, say Leia, Obi, Phasma, QGJ, maybe Dooku...?

I'm not sure that's what he meant.. he said Rey is terrible who frankly is a demi-god in this game and then went on to say that star wars is an average film franchise because of the actors and characters. If I misunderstood then fair play, I apologise.

I do agree with you though that the main characters in the films arent good in the game, and imo that's a shame. That is also the very reason I wrote the original post because I feel Kylo (a HUGE character) needs a buff.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Awful opinion B)

Disagree. The Force Awakens was very good in general, with two exceptions:

1. "We gotta destroy the big gun". The situational plot certainly could have been tweaked to be a bit more original.

2. Kylo Ren: No one likes a wuss bad guy.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options

Awful opinion B)

I'm not sure that's what he meant.. he said Rey is terrible who frankly is a demi-god in this game and then went on to say that star wars is an average film franchise because of the actors and characters. If I misunderstood then fair play, I apologise.

I do agree with you though that the main characters in the films arent good in the game, and imo that's a shame. That is also the very reason I wrote the original post because I feel Kylo (a HUGE character) needs a buff.

@Mesutmerised
    Dont forget, Rey is a demi-god in the movies too. She is a stronk woman who don't need no man, is immediatly more powerful than a trained force user, knows mind tricks despite never hearing about jedi, knows how to fix the Falcon (one of the most heavily custom modifies ships in the galaxy) better than the person who has been flying it for more than 40 years.

I could go on, but I think we get the point.
  • Options

Awful opinion B)

Disagree. The Force Awakens was very good in general, with two exceptions:

1. "We gotta destroy the big gun". The situational plot certainly could have been tweaked to be a bit more original.

2. Kylo Ren: No one likes a wuss bad guy.

Fair play for the first point, but Kylo Ren is no wuss. IMO his conflicted feelings towards the good and the bad is a handicap to his true potential. Yeah he got beaten up by Rey (who is also very strong), but that's after he took a massive hit from Chewies Bowcaster. If Kylo can supress his feelings and harness the power from either light or dark he would be pretty powerful in the force. - Also let's not forget he sent LUKE SKYWALKER into retirement. : B)
  • Options
    Toukai wrote: »

Awful opinion B)

@Mesutmerised
    Dont forget, Rey is a demi-god in the movies too. She is a stronk woman who don't need no man, is immediatly more powerful than a trained force user, knows mind tricks despite never hearing about jedi, knows how to fix the Falcon (one of the most heavily custom modifies ships in the galaxy) better than the person who has been flying it for more than 40 years.

I could go on, but I think we get the point.

Rey needs a nerf in SWGOH and in Ep VIII :joy:
  • Options
    Fair play for the first point, but Kylo Ren is no wuss. IMO his conflicted feelings towards the good and the bad is a handicap to his true potential. Yeah he got beaten up by Rey (who is also very strong), but that's after he took a massive hit from Chewies Bowcaster. If Kylo can supress his feelings and harness the power from either light or dark he would be pretty powerful in the force. - Also let's not forget he sent LUKE SKYWALKER into retirement. : B)

Well getting beat up by Rey isn't why he is a wuss. It's his whining and crying. Great villains don't do stuff like that. Vadar and Palpatine were both great villians.

Best ever though - Henry Fonda as Frank in Once Upon a Time in the West
  • Options

Well getting beat up by Rey isn't why he is a wuss. It's his whining and crying. Great villains don't do stuff like that. Vadar and Palpatine were both great villians.

Sick and tired of the Kylo Ren slander. Let's just overlook the complexities of his character and palm it off as being a 'wuss villain'.
  • Options

Sick and tired of the Kylo Ren slander. Let's just overlook the complexities of his character and palm it off as being a 'wuss villain'.

Almost forgot, taking Rey out of the equation, FINN (a complete non-force user) basically holds his own against Kylo in a saber duel. Finn the janitor....

• Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I think he's one of the best villains in SW history. It would have been so disappointing if he were just another Maul or Emperor, evil character with absolutely zero depth to his personality. "I'm evil, I'm going to conquer and destroy, grrrrrr" That would have been so repetitive and boring.

What we got instead is an emotionally unstable teenager who is probably on drugs. He has Skywalker blood and is unusually powerful in the force, but is being twisted and controlled by Snoke. I find this infinitely better than another Darth Maul.
  • Options

Almost forgot, taking Rey out of the equation, FINN (a complete non-force user) basically holds his own against Kylo in a saber duel. Finn the janitor....

Finn the highly trained first order storm trooper, against a gut-shot by a bowcaster Kylo Ren, gets sliced up the back. They spent the entire movie showing the power of the bowcaster. Most people die from that gut-shot.

Kylo is literally critically wounded, beat's Finn, barely loses to the new chosen one.

Kylo Ren needs a little damage boost. I have him 7* and Gear 9 and he is moderate at best, but nothing great. He only needs a moderate boost to his basic and possibly a slight speed boost. That would be adequate. His AOE hits over 2K on everyone, that's like 5 basic attacks. When it crits it can be 5K. When teamed with phasma, his AOE with Advantage always Crits for like 5K per enemy.
  • Options
    Teague wrote: »
    What we got instead is an emotionally unstable teenager who is probably on drugs. He has Skywalker blood and is unusually powerful in the force, but is being twisted and controlled by Snoke. I find this infinitely better than another Darth Maul.

Ren should be about 30.... so if he is behaving like an emotionally unstable teenager that lends credence to the "wuss" theory. ;)
  • Options

Finn the highly trained first order storm trooper, against a gut-shot by a bowcaster Kylo Ren, gets sliced up the back. They spent the entire movie showing the power of the bowcaster. Most people die from that gut-shot.

Kylo is literally critically wounded, beat's Finn, barely loses to the new chosen one.

Kylo Ren needs a little damage boost. I have him 7* and Gear 9 and he is moderate at best, but nothing great. He only needs a moderate boost to his basic and possibly a slight speed boost. That would be adequate. His AOE hits over 2K on everyone, that's like 5 basic attacks. When it crits it can be 5K. When teamed with phasma, his AOE with Advantage always Crits for like 5K per enemy.

Did we just become best friends? :smiley:
  • Options
    I will admit I'm probably pre-biased because I have always found Adam Driver to be annoying so that is likely coloring my perception of the character.
  • Options

Finn did not hold his own. He was able to block a few hits and get one (tiny) hit on Kylo. The reason he was able to do this is that Kylo was toying with him and wanted to play with his food before he ate it. The hit Finn landed I blame on Kylo being injured already. If Kylo wanted he could have killed Finn immediately. Also, not that you said anything about the untrained Rey beating Kylo, the only reason Rey was able to hold her own is that Kylo has not been fully trained yet. He's not a perfect swordsman but he is insanely powerful in the force. That kinda fits with the game, he can take a beating but isn't a professional with his lightsaber yet
  • Options
    I will admit I'm probably pre-biased because I have always found Adam Driver to be annoying so that is likely coloring my perception of the character.

In episode 7 driver reminds me of Raul silva from skyfall. Similar accent and facial structure I guess.
  • Options
    Kylo was boss in the movie until he removed the helmet! Should have kept that stupid mop hair and totally unthreatening face behind it until perhaps the pivotal scene with his father (well that's how I would've directed it anyway) oh and the Starkiller Base was just ridiculous too, loose that one and replace it with... I dunno, something that is not so crap or Death Star like!?

As for a buff, 100% for that that! I have him 7* gear 8, maxed etc. But no Omegas on him! He is a bench warmer basically and he shouldn't be!

He was the leader of the Knights of Ren YET has no lead ability? That needs addressing certainly... HUGE oversight EA you naughty boys and girls!!!

Also what about that amazing blaster bolt scene at the start of the movie!? Why haven't EA used that as a special ability? It would be so cool if you could activate a special before an attack to randomly deflect a bolt or even choose a target for it to repel into at say half damage or something?

Deffo needs buffing though one way or another
  • Darksaber
    4 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a lvl 72 gear IX 7 star Kylo, I use him in the with Phasma Lumi RG QGJ and I usually end up around 50 in the arena (in my server - top players are 79 lvl). I use him mostly because he's fun to use and not so much because I think he boosts my team. Still, even with Kylo I think I could get even higher if I bothered to refresh the attempts; and I mostly lose because of lack of gear/level in my team rather than due to lack of a good combo. I've beat up many ray-gs-rg-dooku teams with not much difficulty, and without dropping more than 15-20 positions overnight in the ladder.

Kylo doesn't seem to have enough potential to take you to the top 10 (or even top 20) nor did he meet the expectations I had from him, mainly because of his basic's damage which is underwhelming. His retribution is only useful for applying random healing immunities, and he is slow.

But still, he is strong: his outrage deals sick damage even without crit + usually calls a phasma assist + refreshes often enough that I use it on average 3 times in an arena battle, and often I end up using it more times than his basic (depends on how many times the AI will hit him). In the rare occasion where he has QGJ's offense buff + Phasma advantage + he has less than 50 % health, outrage means one hit KO. I also find his healing debuff very useful, at least in my server which is dominated by healers until the top 20, and it definitely applies more often than sidious's because of his potency. His lifebar is HUGE, and he is very versatile, mostly because there are many different scenarios in which his skills can be used.

Added to that, he is fairly easy to gear up, and VERY easy to farm by spamming the cantina battles (and using some crystals to refresh the energy).

Overall, Kylo is good in many things, he excels almost at nothing. Doesn't really add in a PvP squad but he is not a liability either unless you want to go for the very top. Surely you can substitute him for a more synergistic toon; as I said I mostly keep him for the fun and his cool sword. In any case, I don't want to judge the toons based on their potential to take you to the very top, otherwise we could narrow it down to 10-12 toons and throw all the rest in the trash.
  • Options
    Still better than sidious. Debuff character with whackass potency. Hard to make less sense.