What are your views on AI in arena not using AoE ability while opponent is taunting?

Prev1
It seems that many players have been aware of the issue that AI in arena does not use AoE ability while opponent is taunting.

The way I see it, AI in arena not using AoE ability while opponent is taunting makes AoE ability completely useless when in the hand of AI because not only does opponent team almost alway have a taunter, but also many opponent teams have two taunters.

On the other hand, not using AoE ability while opponent is taunting seems to me to defeat the purpose of AoE ability -- bypassing taunt.

Replies

• Options
    agreed this needs to change, makes most AOE characters useless on defence in arena
  • Amalthea
    691 posts Member
    Options
    Why no poll?
  • papnwors
    749 posts Member
    Options
    It's pretty crazy and should be sorted out asap.
    Surely this is when you want to use your aoe.
    It also makes characters that aoe worthless in defense when they should be feared to some degree.
  • Options
    They make AI easy to beat because people enjoy winning more than losing. If everyone lost in arena a lot they would get grumpy and maybe stop playing. Also it means the main barrier to high rank in arena (assuming similar quality squads) is how much gemming you do. If people could have good ai defence, they wouldn't need to gem as much. In short, bad AI means more money for EA.
  • Options
    Dumb and must be fixed, makes 0 sense
  • Options
    MorbiusMD wrote: »
    They make AI easy to beat because people enjoy winning more than losing

So sad, but also very true. Just look at the postcount in the dodge-whine thread(s).

Arena could become interesting if the AI was updated to be slightly less hopeless (aoeing, focusfiring). Then you might have to change setups on offense to get past bad matchups, maybe one day, maybe!
    A lazy alternative would be to have Taunt negate players ability to perform aoe's, would at least be a more even playing field then.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    It's the only way I was able to beat the rebel event, but yeah it should probably be fixed
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    I agree, could use some tuning for sure. However, please don't make AI so bad we can't beat it! haha
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Fid
    121 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree with the "people want to win" comments. It'd be easy to make the AI very nasty. That said, I also think this is one that should be fixed, at least give it a percent chance of using AOE. (That and stunned opponents dodging, sorry, just no, idc if you just call it a miss, but it's not a dodge!) Though by not fixing it it does incentivise using taunters to some extent to manipulate the AI. Something to keep in mind though is for all the faults, any significant changes to the AI could quickly have a serious locking effect in Arena's current implementation.
  • Options
    Fid wrote: »
    I agree with the "people want to win" comments. It'd be easy to make the AI very nasty. That said, I also think this is one that should be fixed, at least give it a percent chance of using AOE. (That and stunned opponents dodging, sorry, just no, idc if you just call it a miss, but it's not a dodge!) Though by not fixing it it does incentivise using taunters to some extent to manipulate the AI. Something to keep in mind though is for all the faults, any significant changes to the AI could quickly have a serious locking effect in Arena's current implementation.
    papnwors wrote: »
    It's pretty crazy and should be sorted out asap.
    Surely this is when you want to use your aoe.
    It also makes characters that aoe worthless in defense when they should be feared to some degree.
    agreed this needs to change, makes most AOE characters useless on defence in arena

Agreed. In order to make AI beatable, giving AI a probability of not using AoE ability, such as 30%, while opponent is taunting, should be enough; on the contrary, AI completely not using AoE ability while opponent is taunting is laughable.
  • Options
    I For one dont use AOE attacks when my opponent taunts. Out of respect... For CG and the AI
  • Options
    I would like to see "auto AI" on par with the computer AI. My auto toons will ALWAYS use special asap. Even if that means calling an assist on a character with 1000 hp over killing them by 15,000. They will also use group buff or aoe with one enemy left in the red portion of energy when a basic attack would end the fight. Ie: fighting the savage oppress challenge. One basic would finish him off, and instead Barris heals, JC heals, poggle group buffs, and then JE throws a bomb. How can they AI be so different between offense and defense?
  • Options
    Well AOEs are actually one way to beat the RG taunt. By using them after he taunts you can usually knock out an opponent or 2.

It's almost as if everyone running RG is exploiting the teams that use AOEs. Maybe that's the reason I get targeted by teams 5K less in power with a low level RG. It keeps all my toons from using AOE. Which 3 of them use.
  • Options
    Solution is just don't auto it and actually play it. Stop being lazy and you won't have anything to complain about.
  • Options
    Needs to be fixed. It makes no sense.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Falcon6669 wrote: »
    Solution is just don't auto it and actually play it. Stop being lazy and you won't have anything to complain about.

lol, maybe read the thread instead of accusing others of being lazy ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

Maybe read the title of the thread since it clearly states when opponent is taunting
  • Options
    And another thing @leef why would anyone complain about the opposing team not using AoE while your squad is taunting
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options
    This is the type thing that deserves a "mega thread" and dev responses. This is far, far more important than most of the things this community makes an issue out of.
  • RuySid
    38 posts Member
    Options

Maybe read the title of the thread since it clearly states when opponent is taunting

No, you're not right, stop it, pretty please.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    And another thing @leef why would anyone complain about the opposing team not using AoE while your squad is taunting

because that means your characters also wont use their AoE when someone else is attacking you. Thought that was pretty obvious if you read this thread.
  • Options

because that means your characters also wont use their AoE when someone else is attacking you. Thought that was pretty obvious if you read this thread.

Thanks for that cause the solution is still just stop being lazy and play the match yourself
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options

I would. I think the AI needs to be better. And since this would essentially be a nerf to taunters, I'd love it. Would help my team on defense a lot.
  • RuySid
    38 posts Member
    Options

Thanks for that cause the solution is still just stop being lazy and play the match yourself

You know you don't play the match when someone attacks you, right?
  • Options

Mixed feelings:
    for your offensive climb in arena, this is actually helpful. Same is true in GW.

I think the logic was to defeat the taunter as quickly as possible. Normally the standard attack does more damage than the AOE attack. This is true with, phasma, kylo (both are weak), sid, datcha, jawa, veers, tarkin, yoda, 88, kit, plo, snow trooper, clone trooper, and maybe 1 or 2 more.

Also, if AOE was the default when someone taunted, imagine the advantage a dooku led team would have; you would receive counterattacks and be granting offense up to the other team. Or with old ben you would be giving them turn meter. This would almost essentially turn old ben into ST Han.

I think this issue could be good or bad if changed.

• Options
    I'm thumbs down on fix!

It's a pretty funny thing, then AI controls defence side.
    Healers are using healing abilities every time.
    AoE-heroes do not using AoE
    Phasma does not using "Victory March" at first.
    and more and more other examples...
  • Options
    RuySid wrote: »

You know you don't play the match when someone attacks you, right?

Yes I do. I'm not new to this world. Gaming has went from being a challenge to nothing but complaining when it's to hard for someone to beat and developers making it so easy to play that someone in a coma could play and beat.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I'm not new to this world. Gaming has went from being a challenge to nothing but complaining when it's to hard for someone to beat and developers making it so easy to play that someone in a coma could play and beat.

the irony
  • Options
    Yes @leef it is ironic but am I the one complaining about something that you as the player have complete control over while you are playing the game.
  • Options
    LOL, some people are pretty most obtuse than the AI on defense.