I've invested a ton in Tenacity mods, but the lack of Potency/Tenacity explanation is punishing me!

So I've invested a lot in Tenacity mods, partly because I can get them with my great Rebel team, but also because it makes sense... I want my Chirpa lead in Arena to be able to resist stuns and ability block so he can give my other Ewoks speed up.

Chirpa's tenacity is nearly 50%. I run up against many Old Bens who have potency significantly less than my Chirpa's tenacity. Yet Chirpa almost NEVER resists his Mind Tricks.

Obviously this is extremely frustrating. I've seen a major improvement in the proc rate of abilities with an increase in the potency of some of my characters like Teebo, but increasing Tenacity seems to be having minimal, if any effect. What gives? Can someone PLEASE finally give us a detailed explanation as to how potency/tenacity works? Otherwise, what is the point of even working on a character's Tenacity?

@EA_Jesse I'm sure many others have similar questions as me given how many threads of this sort I've seen in the past. Thanks!
Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!

Replies

• Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    50% really isn't much, considering that most Old Bens have potency mods taking their potency to 60%+. You should be using only 4 tenacity mods btw and a different mod set with the 24% +tenacity cross mod (which will give u at least +44% without considering secondaries.

• Options
    They counter each other right now. A 50% tenacity versus a 40% potency means only 10% effective tenacity and vice verse. Only way to get any tenacity/potency use to level them to 70% plus. But still a 70% versus a 30% still only guarantees 40%.

It's a fun theory but it doesn't pay out like it should.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Think Tenacity helps "resist Negative Status affects." Potency helps to "increase chance to apply detrimental effects." I believe there's a cap at 85%. So there's always a 15% chance something can land, and it seems that the AI gets pretty good rolls. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The formula for resists is

tenacity - potency = resist chance (min 15%, max 85%)

So your 50% tenacity is only contributing against toons with a potency of less than 35%. Anything more (most have more) and your resist chance is at the min of 15%.
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    Per dev explanation it is about chance to resist which cannot go below 15%

Tenacity - potency = chance to resist.

So tenacity of 50% potency of 25% will give you a 25% chance to resist
    Tenacity of 50% potency of 40% will give you a 15% chance to resist.

From my own testing you really need to get tenacity up, in the 80% range to have a good chance of reliable resisting. This is where I have sun fac and he will resist a decent amount but can still get stunned.
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options

So your 50% tenacity is only contributing against toons with a potency of less than 35%. Anything more (most have more) and your resist chance is at the min of 15%.

The max chance to resist is 100%. There is no cap on this end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    Josh_K wrote: »

The devs have posted multiple times saying the max is 85.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    Options

I believe they have only posted regarding the minimum resist rate. I don't think there is a maximum resist rate. Otherwise you would constantly see resists with tenacity up.
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options

Here are to recent post from dev on which he states a min chance to resist but no max.

Most have inferred from this information that it is max 85% to resist but I do not believe it is right. I think you can have 100% chance to resist

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/581984/#Comment_581984

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/575116/#Comment_575116

Maybe if we ask @CG_Kozispoon nicely he will clarify the max resist rate.
  • Jeks
    52 posts Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, I tested a high tenacity mod team over the weekend and believe that it's either not working as explained or Luke lead is broken. My hunch is more that Luke lead may be broken.

I was running Aayla and SF with a base tenacity of around 95 + Luke Lead, theoretically bringing both to 140. I was up against a Daka with around 50-55% potency and she was essentially stun locking them - despite there being theoretically 85-90% resist chance. I found the same experience against RG's with 40-50% potency, it felt as though around a third of stuns were going through which would be in line with Luke's lead not working.

This is all observation for now and I'll try to record some videos to formally report over the weekend. This is consistent with another guild member testing out a theoretical 140-150 tenacity team though and having his 5s basic land often despite only 40% potency.

On a separate note, the high tenacity counter team does not have enough dps currently in case you're theory crafting and building it.
  • Ugluk
    274 posts Member
    Options
    The upshot of all this is, unless you go all-in with Tenacity mods, they are a waste of space.