GW is not the war of attrition it was meant to be (not a rant) but it should be.

Prev1
The theory behind Galactic War is that it's a war of attrition, that was the intent. The current iteration is not even close.

A short background on myself. I am what some call a Dolphin, I spend on app games like I used to spend on MMOs. I set myself a monthly amount and I usually stick to it, between 20 and 40 a month. So yes, I have a large well geared maxed out bench, enough to field 2 excellent teams, 1 great team and a couple of good teams. I've been in the 20 to 60 range of Arena for 6 months and maintain that range even after mods.

GW should challenge all my teams at every stage...it doesn't. I usually blow through 9 to 11 stages with my 3rd or 4th stringers with maybe losing 1 or 2 toons. Then I switch to my A team for node 12, promptly come up against a team that is 5000 to 7000 power above mine and get completely obliterated, sometimes I can take out 1 opposing toon, sometimes I barely take the protection off 1. Up next my B team (Droids) which also get obliterated because the opponent usually has a turn meter advantage. That is how GW runs.... it is completely not a war of attrition that challenges my deep bench.

What can be done? (Well apparently nothing since we have repeatedly been told its working as intended....even though I have just shown that it is not). Some suggestions...not meaning they all have to be implemented, just some thoughts to make GW a challenge again not the rage inducing thing it has become.

1. Rework the difficulty at all levels, not just easy nodes until you hit 6 and 9-12. If my 4th stringers make it through 11 nodes (and they frequently do) that alone shows there is no truth to a war of attrition.
2. Remove mods from GW completely (yea I know, probably cant be done)
3. Opposing team starts at 0 turn meter every go round. My A team manages to take out 1 opponent, bring in the B team. My second stringers no longer have to face a full TM megamonster team that wipes them before they can even get a turn...

I'm sure there are some other great Ideas out there. Currently GW is not fun, It is a limp noodle of no challenge for 11 nodes and them a brick wall of impossible on 12.

By your own definition GW is not functioning as intended. Currently your only way to win GW is to spend a ton of money on one Alpha team.

Replies

• Options
    I thought you said this wasn't a rant
  • Options
    I'm sorry if you thought it was, I'm not threatening to quit, not even screaming about not spending..because until something I enjoy more comes along I'll continue to spend. If it seems like a rant...dunno what to say, I've seen so many ftp people talking about it thought I would add the thoughts of a spender. No where did I say make it stupid easy, I would actually prefer it be a real challenge on every node.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Haha, full marks for bravery.

Yeah, I feel for you, but remember not everyone is a dolphin and all rosters (well, theoretically all) are different, so the matchmaking is different for everyone. There's folks swearing up and down they have to use their A-team just to clear 6, so definitely don't find myself of the mind that it should be more challenging. If you can use a team to buzz through the first 9 nodes or so that's great, give people a chance to enjoy a pseudo god-mode, enjoying what they've accomplished thus far.

If it's not a challenge for you, you could try to use only two teams, or not allow yourself any retreats, or something like that. But please don't push for increase difficulty for all players due to your own situation.

You say, "currently your only way to win GW is to spend a ton of money on an Alpha team". Which I don't find to be true, and I'm sure there are many other f2p players that are finding ways to beat GW still. It's deferent for eneveryone, and even the RNG matchmaking makes each GW a little different.

My criticism right now is that it's taking way too long again. If players wan't to do all their dailies and raid AND complete GW, GW is the biggest time sink by far. I'd love to see it sped up again somehow (though there's no clear 'best' way how to do that).

Apology for whatevers, I'm on Benadryl slump...wooooo!
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    It is important to rotate toons so everyone worth while has some turn meter for the last two nodes.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    "pre-loading" your teams with TM solves your problems with the brickwalls.
    GW=GW, some dont like it, some do (i do). I'ts time to addapt, and not the time to suggest change. They said they arent going to change it, so i guess that's that.

ps. i'm completely f2p, have 0 problems finishing GW daily. Spending money isnt the only sollution.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Noted Shaolin.. I wasn't necessarily pushing for increased difficulty on all nodes. I would really like to see GW be the war of attrition it was intended to be. I really enjoy collecting toons, leveling them, gearing them etc. But I want to use them as well and honestly right now beyond about 15 of them they just do not get used. GW should be the place I get to put that full roster to work. Isn't that what GW was supposed to be about? Even If I run out of toons and cannot complete GW because of said attrition I would be ok with that. I just think it's not fun having little to no challenge for 90% then wham..
  • Options
    leaf, dark, thank you for the input, I will experiment tomorrow with rotating my A and B team toons into the team I do the first 9 to 11 nodes with so that by 12 they have TM for the last node. If my tactics are at fault I'm ok with admitting that. I'll certainly give it a go.
  • Options
    It's definitely not a war of attrition unless you are one of those that can breeze through with 7 toons (losing 2 along the way). I can usually get to node 12 with my A-team. There it gets ugly and truly becomes a war of attrition.

It is pretty rare that I finish node 12 with my A-team. My best hope is that the A-team knocks out 2-3 toons before bidding farewell. That gives my B-Team a chance to take out the rest. If they knock it down to 1-2 players the C-team can clean up.

It comes down to the composition of the other team as much as power. Worst case scenario is a counterattack team (Fives, Dooku, IG100, etc.). If my A-team cannot at least take out 1 toon and knock the shields off the rest, there is no prayer for the rest of my roster as there is a step down between each X-Team.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick!" Theodore Roosevelt. "You know that's right!" Rey
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    GW=GW, some dont like it, some do (i do). I'ts time to addapt, and not the time to suggest change. They said they arent going to change it, so i guess that's that.

ps. i'm completely f2p, have 0 problems finishing GW daily. Spending money isnt the only sollution.

I actually don't spend to win, I just like to collect characters so instead of having 10 super awesome toons I have that deep bench. I just see it much like I'm still playing MMO's (which I gave up years ago), I pay to play and enjoy..not to win.. if that makes any sense at all. It may have something to do with working in the field too (not games but software development) so I understand how many paychecks come from paying customers and I like to support my fellow developers.
  • Options
    What is you A teams max power once mine went over 36k the 12th node is a joke they are always level 80 but with 3-4 stars,

also what was said earlier I use my A team at the start to get turn meter then save them for node 6, 9, 10, 11 (my A team is hk L ig88 &86 ig100!and jawa engineer)

In bewteen them nodes I usually run phasma L daka RG geo soldier and 5's plenty of stuns with the assists and if anyone of them drop through in Rey or lumi? Liea etc
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

I actually don't spend to win, I just like to collect characters so instead of having 10 super awesome toons I have that deep bench. I just see it much like I'm still playing MMO's (which I gave up years ago), I pay to play and enjoy..not to win.. if that makes any sense at all. It may have something to do with working in the field too (not games but software development) so I understand how many paychecks come from paying customers and I like to support my fellow developers.

I was only referring to the last sentence of your original post. Not at all a hatefull remark towards spenders, not even towards p2w spenders.
  • Options
    Murf_uK wrote: »
    What is you A teams max power once mine went over 36k the 12th node is a joke they are always level 80 but with 3-4 stars,

also what was said earlier I use my A team at the start to get turn meter then save them for node 6, 9, 10, 11 (my A team is hk L ig88 &86 ig100!and jawa engineer)

In bewteen them nodes I usually run phasma L daka RG geo soldier and 5's plenty of stuns with the assists and if anyone of them drop through in Rey or lumi? Liea etc

Thank you for the tips, I'm going to give that a try tomorrow. My A team power is 36,726 but I never get any nodes like you describe, my node 12 is always 40 to 42k power teams from the same set of 6 or 7 toons, you know the ones.
  • Options
    [quote="leef;610921"

I was only referring to the last sentence of your original post. Not at all a hatefull remark towards spenders, not even towards p2w spenders. [/quote]

I didn't take it as such, and thanks again for the tips on TMing up my main teams in early nodes, don't know why I haven't thought of that before.
  • Options
    NO
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Noted Shaolin.. I wasn't necessarily pushing for increased difficulty on all nodes. I would really like to see GW be the war of attrition it was intended to be. I really enjoy collecting toons, leveling them, gearing them etc. But I want to use them as well and honestly right now beyond about 15 of them they just do not get used. GW should be the place I get to put that full roster to work. Isn't that what GW was supposed to be about? Even If I run out of toons and cannot complete GW because of said attrition I would be ok with that. I just think it's not fun having little to no challenge for 90% then wham..

@Sawyer_Finn True, I see the perspective of like, it it could actually match my first node with like, my lowest 12th of my roster to try and beat, and then the second node would be the 2nd lowest 12th of my roster. That matchmaking sounds good in theory (probably hard to pull off), but it also might make it too hard. For example, I have like 9 or 10 heroes sitting at 3-4 stars, level 1, with next to no gear on them at all. I use them for suicide squads for the AI to blow cool downs on towards the end of GW. On that note, I've had a few wars in the last week that ALMOST used everything I had (mostly because I was suiciding to try and get the enemy cool downs lined up so I could beat nodes 11 and 12. So in a few cases, it HAS used my full roster, bit not in an even progression of difficulty.

I'd be down for a few easy, several "okay pay attention now" fights, then the last fight being "omg, that was close". Honestly, that's pretty close to what I get now, though sometimes node 9 puts me down a team I fear I'll need for 11 and 12. Thankfully, it's worked out, but I know there are lots of folks struggling.

There is a learning curve to this one for sure, and that doesn't mean you'll always win, because RNG is still pretty mean sometimes. It's something we're all watching the forums for, the spirit of feedback on it. Initially there were lots of frustrations because we were used to playing the entire thing in Auto with one team (usually arena team), then they changed it.

Change is tough, but many players are finding ways to get it done now. Tips and tricks spread across the forum now, like prepping your TM for your good teams on the first nodes so they don't start node 12 at 0 TM. Things like that.

queue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78JI1nkqVVE
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    So make GW more difficult?

Worst. Idea. Ever.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Oh and welcome to the forums by the way. :)
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    Options
    A lot of issues with GW would be solved if they brought back the original retreat functionality.
    Before the whole retreat vs force close argument, retreat was strategic. You could send in a team to focus on one opponent, take them out, retreat and bring in another team and that passion would still be gone.

You could also work the opposing team down to one, bring in some healer's and refresh your team.

If they brought that back it would make a huge difference.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    If you aren't spending adequate time on nodes 1-5 preloading tm on your A, B, and C teams.. then you're playing GW wrong. Ever since the tm change this has been the only viable way to complete GW consistently on a daily basis.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    If you aren't spending adequate time on nodes 1-5 preloading tm on your A, B, and C teams.. then you're playing GW wrong. Ever since the tm change this has been the only viable way to complete GW consistently on a daily basis.

I haven't had to do it yet, but was aware of the process. @Varlie can you remind me what the original retreat functionality was?
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    I run GW like my Raids - I have five deep teams and a few substitutes that I swap in or out depending on opponents. For example, Sidious/Dooku heavy opponent teams get Rey/Clone treatment but Chewie/Luminara/QGJ teams get Jedi treatment. Any team with Royal Guard gets AoE treatment (Vader, Sidious, Kylo Ren, Magmatrooper, Maul, et cetera). After one week of running my GW like this I have yet to fail completion.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options

This is a completely false statement. I spend all nodes building TM on my entire roster as far as I can before node 9. I can get through 9,10, and usually 11, but I get to 12, and no matter the TM, it's a brickwall. I can have TM on 3 squads, there are days I can barely take out 1 toon on Node 12, with my entire roster. My roster should be more than adequate to complete GW. The problem is the insanity of the MODS on those guys at node 9,11, and especially 12. It doesn't releft in their power, and they are insanely more powerful than my best toons.

The TM helps, but it's not the answer to combat the Mods. The OP had the best idea, eliminate MODS from GW.
  • Options
    Honestly, I finish GW most days, and i agree it is broken as hell, because it does not get you to use your full roster. i send in my high DPC team and usually clear the first 9-10 nodes with it, then i use my arena team and finish up. sometimes i have to use a third team to finish the last node, but its generally not a big deal.

In none of that do i use the majority of my roster. im 100% FTP, and ive got a reasonably deep roster, but by the time i get to the last node, if my third team cant mop it up, the rest of my roster does not last against the preloaded TM of the opposition. I send in some less than max toons, and 3 of them die before i get a turn, they resist nothing and only take one or two hits to die.

So yeah thats my rant, but ranting does not help anything. IMO GW needs to be tweaked to encourage using more of your roster, and if it were up to me, I would do the following:

1) Make all nodes of GW visible from the start, let people plan how to use their roster like a large chess match

2) any toon not used in a node gains the following effects:
    a) Heal 50% of total protection&Health (so nearly dead, sit out two fights and back at full)
    b) If already at full health/protection gain 50% TM and -1 to all cooldowns

In my opinion this would encourage people to use their weaker mid range toons against the easier enemies, cause their good toons will be even better for the hard fights, it would hopefully stop the full DPS assault that many like me use, (Or at least give us a viable alternative to it) and it would really make the whole thing more strategic.

Sure it would also make it easier to beat, if you used your roster properly and planned out rest points for key toons, but hitting the last 3 arena teams should be alot more doable like this.
  • Options

I'd be down for a few easy, several "okay pay attention now" fights, then the last fight being "omg, that was close". Honestly, that's pretty close to what I get now, though sometimes node 9 puts me down a team I fear I'll need for 11 and 12. Thankfully, it's worked out, but I know there are lots of folks struggling.

I am pretty sure this is exactly what was intended, but when I bring in my DPS team, for me that's Phasma, Mace Windu, Resistance Trooper, GS, and Rey, they typically clear the first 6-8 nodes and still have most of their protection.

That's because the ramp up teams you face, are so vastly outclassed by raid gear equipped 7 star modded toons that there is no challenge. so i could throw in a weaker team and use up some mid-range toons, or i could use my DPS team and have them walk through it virtually unharmed. The latter path leaves me those midrange toons to hopefully beat down the last one or two toons at the end of GW if necessary.

Raid gear and mods make such a massive difference in the power and survivability of toons that it makes the rest irrelevant. the teams i can put together that don't have raid gear get annihilated at the end of GW, and like i said i keep them incase an entire team can chip away one single toon if im lucky...

In short there is no reason or incentive to use weaker teams, I have also looked at my roster (about 60 characters) and the total power of the very first node i face, the bottom half of my roster cannot form a team with a power level equal to the very first node i face, so right from the start half my roster is basically useless in GW.

• ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, I rally only have 3 solid teams, enough heroes to through some random mix of maybe 2 teams between levels 70-80, then the rest are all suicide "draw their cool down" types. Like I said in that full reply, there's an ideal here for sure, but I'm not sure how possible it is in terms of doing to make it happen that way.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree. I use my a team to get through the entirety of gw. Once, I reached a crazy Anakin team and only killed Anakin before losing. It was comical how many characters I needed to beat that node after my a team died.

I don't think beating all of gw with one team is intended and neither is throwing 20 characters at one node.

With the current game mechanics being what they are, it's quite difficult to create a balanced gw I'm sure.

They should just make the first three nodes as difficult as the current 9, 10, 11 or less. Have those award 560k credits, then have wave after wave of insane arena teams awarding 250k credits each.

Basically enable people to get the credits they were getting before, but reward those with a great roster with more credits for continuing
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

This is a completely false statement. I spend all nodes building TM on my entire roster as far as I can before node 9. I can get through 9,10, and usually 11, but I get to 12, and no matter the TM, it's a brickwall. I can have TM on 3 squads, there are days I can barely take out 1 toon on Node 12, with my entire roster. My roster should be more than adequate to complete GW. The problem is the insanity of the MODS on those guys at node 9,11, and especially 12. It doesn't releft in their power, and they are insanely more powerful than my best toons.

The TM helps, but it's not the answer to combat the Mods. The OP had the best idea, eliminate MODS from GW.
    @BradGoodyear
    do you also have "a large well geared maxed out bench, enough to field 2 excellent teams, 1 great team and a couple of good teams"? If not, why assume it's not only a false statement, but a completely false statement? I'm pretty sure you are not in the same situation as the OP, if you want some help on how to finish GW i need some additional information.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    It is important to rotate toons so everyone worth while has some turn meter for the last two nodes.

TM and protection as well. Also, using the easier nodes to reset cool downs is important.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Honestly, I finish GW most days, and i agree it is broken as hell, because it does not get you to use your full roster. i send in my high DPC team and usually clear the first 9-10 nodes with it, then i use my arena team and finish up. sometimes i have to use a third team to finish the last node, but its generally not a big deal.

In none of that do i use the majority of my roster. im 100% FTP, and ive got a reasonably deep roster, but by the time i get to the last node, if my third team cant mop it up, the rest of my roster does not last against the preloaded TM of the opposition. I send in some less than max toons, and 3 of them die before i get a turn, they resist nothing and only take one or two hits to die.

So yeah thats my rant, but ranting does not help anything. IMO GW needs to be tweaked to encourage using more of your roster, and if it were up to me, I would do the following:

1) Make all nodes of GW visible from the start, let people plan how to use their roster like a large chess match

2) any toon not used in a node gains the following effects:
    a) Heal 50% of total protection&Health (so nearly dead, sit out two fights and back at full)
    b) If already at full health/protection gain 50% TM and -1 to all cooldowns

In my opinion this would encourage people to use their weaker mid range toons against the easier enemies, cause their good toons will be even better for the hard fights, it would hopefully stop the full DPS assault that many like me use, (Or at least give us a viable alternative to it) and it would really make the whole thing more strategic.

Sure it would also make it easier to beat, if you used your roster properly and planned out rest points for key toons, but hitting the last 3 arena teams should be alot more doable like this.
    This would be awesome
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • Options
    You could design GW to max like in July (where node 12 equals your best five), but set it so you can only use a toon 3 times max. This means you'd need to, at a minimum, use 4 teams, your D team for nodes 1-3, C team for 4-6, B team for 7-9, and A team for 10-12. Any extra toons would be used to get you through difficult spots.