Well, they warned me about Finn...

Prev13
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
edited January 2016
I stubbornly unlocked him anyway, spent 1.3M credits to get him to level 62, got him up to gear VI or so.. and he's hopelessly average. Is he the least impressive of all the characters made on the main movie stars? Rey and Phasma are strong, Poe is overpowered, Kylo Ren is at least solid. Finn is... well, maybe I just haven't found a role for him yet, but he's slow, and one of his abilities is basically a waste of a turn. He hits decently for a tank but has no taunt so he's not a real tank. His special can expose, which is nice, but due to his speed he gets that once per fight and that's it.
Maybe they will give him a bit of a buff. He's nowhere near the potential of the other name star characters from Episode 7.. which would explain why I never see him in fights.
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Options
    That's disappointing.

I borrowed him from an ally a couple of times and he seemed decent, so started unlocking him to help in light side missions.

I'm at 52 of 80. Should I stop? Or just finish him to get it over with?

Anybody had any joy with him?
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    He's good for the tank challenge, but that's it. Level and gear him only as far as you need to for that and then let him be.

Until they change the meta of speed and damage being the only things that matter, most toons will be underwhelming at best.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    He's good for the tank challenge, but that's it.

Dat burn!
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Well everyone always complains about me wanting nerfs, so maybe this counteracts it a bit. This guy could use a buff, especially compared to the likes of Rey, Poe and Phasma.
    I don't need him for the tank challenge. But he could be useful in GW I suppose.
    @CaptainPlatypus - Might as well finish him off, a toon is a toon. :) But I'm going to have to switch to someone else in Cantina now I think. Not sure who.
  • Options
    Only farm Finn if you're planning to build a Resistance Team.
  • Options
    Yeah he is craptastic, I guess he might be good in a suicide squad for GW.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Oh well, that teaches me for trying to buck the trend... again. I also have a PvP team that is rapidly heading from the top 10 to the top 100 since I refuse to buy Poe. :)
    Maybe they will buff Finn or give him synergy in some other way soon.
    So who else should I farm in Cantina? I am leaning to GS since IG-86 I can get in GW and GS I cannot. But if I want to make a droid team I should use GW shipments for Poggle.
    None of these characters really fit well with what I have now. Oh well. Maybe GS for an assist squad using Phasma and Fives. Not that that will fare well against the Poe monstrosities either.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Bank your tokens. One of the Devs said they will be making changes to shipments in an upcoming update.
  • Options
    I'm thinking GS too Qeltar. Either that or Kylo.

I run a Phasma team, both would fit in well, but not sure who I'd replace yet.

I'm currently running a 1* GS as my 5th Dark Side character, so suppose he'd make sense.
  • Options
    @Qeltar You are more experienced but based on my encounters in PVP I will say GS. He as good health so difficult to just kill him in first turn. And if you fail to stun or ability block him he will do a good deal of damage to enemy before going down. IG-86 might be a weaker toon when AI will play it in PVP. So far I didnt have difficulty in countering him in Arena but failed couple of times team fielded GS. I still remember the obliteration I faced agasint a GS + Luke team(with Sid lead). I was like wait, who to get lol.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Options
    I know GS is good, but he is so flavor of the month for me. I read all the advice here when I started so now I have a top 10-20 team of Sid/Poe/Luke/lumi/GS. Sure it gets the job done but it's just too blah. Sucks to read that finn is a waste, it is a brutal farm, but I have been planning a Poe lead resistance team just to change things up.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    I stubbornly unlocked him anyway, spent 1.3M credits to get him to level 62, got him up to gear VI or so.. and he's hopelessly average. Is he the least impressive of all the characters made on the main movie stars? Rey and Phasma are strong, Poe is overpowered, Kylo Ren is at least solid. Finn is... well, maybe I just haven't found a role for him yet, but he's slow, and one of his abilities is basically a waste of a turn. He hits decently for a tank but has no taunt so he's not a real tank. His special can expose, which is nice, but due to his speed he gets that once per fight and that's it.
    Maybe they will give him a bit of a buff. He's nowhere near the potential of the other name star characters from Episode 7.. which would explain why I never see him in fights.

I have him 7* with full gears maxed.. he is a little bit above average

His leader boost is great, he has decent skills.. especially his 2nd special which stuns way more than the seen %

downside is his speed.. since we are living in a speed meta at the moment, 107 speed wont cut it.. if he were between 125-142, he would be justifiable to spend time, money and mats on him.

i really wanted to make a full resistance squad, but not an easy task

IMO, only way a Resistance squad would work (especially on defence), it would be with Phasma in there.. need that TM special boost to push Finn into T8..
    Finn (leader), Rey, Poe, RP and Phasma..

I tried it before update with mixed results
  • Options
    JoshG wrote: »
    I know GS is good, but he is so flavor of the month for me. I read all the advice here when I started so now I have a top 10-20 team of Sid/Poe/Luke/lumi/GS. Sure it gets the job done but it's just too blah. Sucks to read that finn is a waste, it is a brutal farm, but I have been planning a Poe lead resistance team just to change things up.

Investing on both Luke and GS on cantina will slow starring them up. I tought about it but just concentrated on Luke since I came to the forums until I had a 3* Luke. Now he is a 5* heading for 6*. I have a Sid lead team on on iOS account so thinking to getting GS rather than Kylo. What star level are your Luke and GS?
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Options
    Arijit wrote: »

Investing on both Luke and GS on cantina will slow starring them up. I tought about it but just concentrated on Luke since I came to the forums until I had a 3* Luke. Now he is a 5* heading for 6*. I have a Sid lead team on on iOS account so thinking to getting GS rather than Kylo. What star level are your Luke and GS?

My Luke is 6* so I paused him to let GS (3*) catch up a bit. My point was that I am kinda bored with the team. EVERYONE on my server (and prolly most) run Sid + lumi + insert 2 dps chars here + phas/dooku/Kylo. The game has 71 chars on it and 95% of ppl use a mix of like 10-12. That being said I understand that is the current meta, and most games are that way. But like the OP I prefer to try something new. Sucks to hear it didn't work out.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all.
    Telaan wrote: »
    Bank your tokens. One of the Devs said they will be making changes to shipments in an upcoming update.

I am doing this with all three token types. But I have to farm Cantina to get Cantina tokens, and I refill twice a day, so that's 360 energy that has to go somewhere.
    I already have Kylo unlocked. I won't deny that he's good but I haven't found a place for him full time yet.
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    GS is probably the best overall PVP toon in Cantina. He's better than FOTP that gets all the highlight one shot kills and has everyone's attention. He has nearly the same amount of OHKO ability as FOTP once you skill up his critical unique and abilities and he gets that assist in...what makes him better though is that he has much more in his overall kit -- speed is fantastic - he gets that big hit in before TIE can. Has offense up chance on basic. Very low cooldown on the assist. The big thing though is his meter gain when he gets a crit. This guy is getting in multiple hits while others are getting in just one. My current 7* GS at g8 lvl 63 is around 11k health. To recap:

1. Has decent health so he's durable
    2. One of the faster heroes in the game
    3. Can make self even faster in the game with significant turn meter gain on crits
    4. Critical unique skill goes well with his meter gain on crit and early assist ability
    5. Gives self chance for offense up on basic
    6. Small cooldown on the assist
    7. Ability to go g9 in this patch
    8. BEST PART HERE....*****READ THIS HERE*****....the guy is THE EASIEST toon to gear by far that I've built. To go to g8, he needed only 20 total purples. He didn't need more purples than that till he got to g8. He's a slam dunk no brainer build everyone should have built. Most of the stuff you need to build him is just likely excess gear inventory.

I think GS is right there with Jinn among the top most scary heroes in the game - I put both those guys over FOTP easily as they are both fast, hit with big time assists that do heavy damage with small cooldowns, and both have ability to grant their selves big turn meter gains. I'd give Jinn the edge as I really like his dispel ability, but GS is right there.

Another thought on this GS topic, when I'm fighting the Poe / FOTP / Jinn / GS / Sid (or Leia / Phasam) teams....I'm attacking and trying to kill Jinn and GS first and leave FOTP alone. I know GS and Jinn can lap me and be all over me like a spider-monkey :) FOTP I know he's slow and I can lap him in round two and kill him generally before he gets a second hit off. I honestly and truly feel FOTP is balanced fine because he's slow...AND he has no chance to gain meter on his and and get faster. He's a stick in the mud at these speeds. He's reliant on other toons bringing him forward. Nerf FOTP though...and you'll just face some other fast toon that's actually a tougher matchup due to better speed / meter gain.

Regarding GW...used GS for the first time in GW yesterday and I find he performs better than FOTP in that format. Again, the main reason is because of the speed and multiple hits. I actually ran both of them together for a bit and in a good number of matches he will out damage FOTP because of the offense up and the fact that he can actually get a 3rd hit in with meter gain right before FOTP actually moves for a second time.

Knowing what I know now taking GW and PVP in to consideration, I'd tell anyone starting the game now to stay on that first map of Cantina and not move on until they have JC, GS, and Chewy built up. GS is amazing in PVP and good in GW too and JC / Chewy are fantastic in GW...a key piece of content to advance through daily.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Options
    JC is in the 3rd cantina map
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @JohnnySteelAlpha - Thanks for the detailed writeup, much appreciated. Only drawbacks for farming GS that I can see: low node means fewer orange balls and training droids; and he's being used so much these days that he'll probably get "adjusted". :)
  • Options
    I feel the same way about Fives. I wish I went Poe
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options

I never use him in the arena or GW, but he is one of the main guys I rotate in for the daily challenges against Mace Windu since that challenge locks out all of my stronger characters.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    That's disappointing.

I borrowed him from an ally a couple of times and he seemed decent, so started unlocking him to help in light side missions.

I'm at 52 of 80. Should I stop? Or just finish him to get it over with?

Anybody had any joy with him?

I would say go ahead and unlock him. If nothing else, he could be good fodder for GW.
  • Options
    I've been farming Finn since the pack release and ditto to what everyone said. I'm stubborn though so I'll likely farm him to level 7 since my Kylo is already level 7.
  • Options
    That, and hope that devs buff Fin
  • Options
    I don't find him that bad. Yeah, he's no FOTP or Poe, but he seems decent at what he does. The fact that people aren't crying out for him to be nerfed means he's probably doing his job the way he's supposed to. He's definitely not useless either (looking at you knight guardian), that stun has been vital for me in GW. To sum up, just because he's not rad doesn't mean he's not useful
  • Options
    JC is in the 3rd cantina map

Good catch. He should be on #1 given importance of healers.
  • Options
    Finn is no all-star, but a solid toon. I just don't get why people will diss Finn, but then farm Luke. Who is very similar in his role. Only with less health.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    jeremyj26 wrote: »
    Finn is no all-star, but a solid toon. I just don't get why people will diss Finn, but then farm Luke. Who is very similar in his role. Only with less health.

I have a 7* Luke and Finn looks way better than him on paper. I barely use Luke. He's become extremely situational. A smart soft launch player was nice enough to warn me that end game he is meh, but I'm dumb.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah I've slowly come to realize that Luke is the weak link in my lineup. Probably replacing him with 5* fotp or 6* kylo or Boba in a few weeks. Luke is good, just not as good as fotp or genosian, and probably not as good as Biggs or res pilot. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were a few others better. I haven't unlocked his lvl 8 gear, but right now he's basically lumi with no heal.
  • Options

i'd say REY/Phasma are OP, i mean 143 speed on a 1 hit KO rey. Yeah and phasma can just lock her team into attacking twice before your team even has a chance to attack (while phasma is on Defense), Poe can be countered (ability block or remove taunt) and apart from his taunt is eh, decent.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    Time wrote: »
    Yeah I've slowly come to realize that Luke is the weak link in my lineup. Probably replacing him with 5* fotp or 6* kylo or Boba in a few weeks. Luke is good, just not as good as fotp or genosian, and probably not as good as Biggs or res pilot. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were a few others better. I haven't unlocked his lvl 8 gear, but right now he's basically lumi with no heal.

Exactly. Lumni matches his damage. Luke would have to have a 100% crit on his special attack to keep up. Sorry didn't mean to change the subject here