Increase the Tourney Refresh Cost (Please)

Prev1
Predian
615 posts Member
edited November 2016
First, I love the switch from crystals to ally tokens. Kudos to CG/EA for that.

Second, I think the tourney itself is a pretty fun idea.

But here's the problem - it takes forever. I went into this thing with zero ally tokens on the day they announced the change, and zero GW tokens on the day that store was updated. I finished a respectably mediocre 27th with around 6000 points. But I think I had to fight about a bazillion battles. Increase the cost, make it less battles for people. It's a mobile app, I shouldn't burn through a full 6s Plus battery trying to get my tournament day complete.

Please consider :)

Replies

• Options
    I'm not sure if increasing the cost of refreshes is exactly what you want. It sounds like your intent is to make the experience a little less intense and time-consuming - which I could completely get on board with. I had a very intense run to finish 78th, and I spent about 4x the ally points you did! That's partly because I had one team that I spammed for 2 1/2 days, but I prefer much arena which is one intense hour per day.
  • Options
    I agree, instead of starting the refresh at 100 ally points, please start it at 250 or 500 points and don't stop the cost at 1000 points.
  • Options
    Making it cost more will just give people who hoarded ally points a better advantage. And you won't get to battle as much
  • Options
    I believe they said this tourny was the last.

I got 17 cuffs and 40 furnace salvage for finishing #345. Bit meh tbh.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    I believe they said this tourny was the last.

I got 17 cuffs and 40 furnace salvage for finishing #345. Bit meh tbh.

They said this was the final time you could get shoretrooper from it.
  • Options
    Maegor wrote: »

They said this was the final time you could get shoretrooper from it.

That's what I get for just reading "final".

Thanks.

• crzydroid
    7332 posts Moderator
    Options
    I was thinking about the whole refresh thing today, and I realized that when you go to like a Euchre tournament or other game tournament or something at somebody's house, or a local comic shop or what have you, you have a point system, but everyone fights the same number of battles.

I don't know how well that system would translate here because it's pve and not true pvp, but right now it's whoever fights the most battles wins, regardless of the refresh mechanism. I wonder if having a fixed max number of battles is more of a way to go...but I'm not sure there would be a big enough point variance then. Maybe it could if the tourney were timed like arena...then these high health, all-healer/RG squads might actually be a good defense, instead of just a huge annoyance that still lets you walk away with max points.
  • Tuftedpaper85
    1811 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm not on board with this idea. You had an intense time consuming tournament because you wanted to finish 27th with 6000 points. If you want to spend less time on it than be willing to accept a lower rank. It is a competition after all...
  • Options
    When you have people that are willing to put extra time in to get to a certain place on The tournament, you can either spend the extra time also or fall back on the rankings. Asking that they make it harder for everyone because you didn't want to put in the effort is a horrible and lazy idea
  • Options
    I'm not on board with this idea. You had an intense time consuming tournament because you wanted to finish 27th with 6000 points. If you want to spend less time on it than be willing to accept a lower rank. It is a competition after all...
    Julmay wrote: »
    When you have people that are willing to put extra time in to get to a certain place on The tournament, you can either spend the extra time also or fall back on the rankings. Asking that they make it harder for everyone because you didn't want to put in the effort is a horrible and lazy idea

+1

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

i think you're underestimating how many ally points players can save up for the next tournament and how much time it costs to consume those ally points during a tournament. Rosters won't matter, how many ally points you have won't matter, just how much time you're willing to spend. I don't think the sole factor of being succesfull in tournaments should be the ability to have alot of spare time.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

i think you're underestimating how many ally points players can save up for the next tournament and how much time it costs to consume those ally points during a tournament. Rosters won't matter, how many ally points you have won't matter, just how much time you're willing to spend. I don't think the sole factor of being succesfull in tournaments should be the ability to have alot of spare time.

Players can save up an absurd amount of ally points, and when the tournament pops up they can spend an absurd amount of time. If you want to compete, then you have to be willing to do what they do. If not, then be content with the 20 shards and two pieces of gear that most of us got
  • Options
    Were ally points available to purchase or only through ones acquired already and GW?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Players can save up an absurd amount of ally points, and when the tournament pops up they can spend an absurd amount of time. If you want to compete, then you have to be willing to do what they do. If not, then be content with the 20 shards and two pieces of gear that most of us got

I don't think you understand the point i'm trying to make. I'm not against rewards matching the effort a player choses to put in to an event. But where's the fun in having to spend atleast 5 hours a day of continues battling IF you wan't to finish top100? The current system, with an increased amount of ally points saved up by the players, will result in having to put way more effort into the tournament for the same rewards. I'm not sure why you think that is a good thing worth defending. Just as many players will finish top100, but each of them had to put in way more effort, yet the rewards stay the same. And in the process making it less about skill, roster and ally points, but just about how much time you're willing to spend.
    Having an unlimited amount of attacks (because you'll have a gazillion ally points) doesn't make the tournament more fun, or benefit the players whatsoever. Except ofcourse if you're the guy who's willing to spend 30 hours in 3 days (or more) battling the same variations of toons over and over and over and over, to get the best reward, but won't stand a chance if the tournament has anything to do with skill and/or roster.
  • Options
    The whole point is that it takes time and effort... why not give everyone a 7* Shore Trooper just for logging in during the event... the same way an entire generation got trophies just for participating in... whatever, and were ruined by the sense of entitlement that type of thing fosters. The event would be ruined as well. Events should take time and effort. The real prob is they made it far too easy to farm ally points. They should just take all the extra free points back, along with gw purchases, and let ppl earn ally points the same way we always have.
  • Options

+1
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    The whole point is that it takes time and effort... why not give everyone a 7* Shore Trooper just for logging in during the event... the same way an entire generation got trophies just for participating in... whatever, and were ruined by the sense of entitlement that type of thing fosters. The event would be ruined as well. Events should take time and effort. The real prob is they made it far too easy to farm ally points. They should just take all the extra free points back, along with gw purchases, and let ppl earn ally points the same way we always have.

rofl, you rant about a whole generation being entitled, but you suggest something that will result in basically the same situation as the OP's suggestion. Man, that is hilarious. thnx for that
  • Options
    How about capping the refreshes?
    You get 2-3 refreshes at each cost before it increases now, why not allow the same 2-3 refreshes at 1000 points and then not allow them to refresh anymore?
    This way the tournament would reward truly deep and developed rosters.
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP let me tell you about my experience.

Since June I started hoarding Ally coins. When this tourney came around for the second time I had 250k in ally coins. That should have been more than enough to atleast break into the top 100 right? Wrong. I have a pretty decent sized roster but because of the tourney server I was scaled into I was stuck fighting the same characters over and over. My server was filled with Lando,Anakin,Wedge,Biggs,B2,Rex and the occasional Driods.

So to even get points I had to use my same team over and over. I couldn't use Phasma(L) to battle Lando/Wiggs teams. I couldn't use Dooku(L) to battle Lando/Wiggs teams. I had to use my own Lando team mixed with Anakin, STH,Palpatene and Raid Han Solo. The problem with me using the same team over and over resulted in me having to spend 5k ally points every single battle, which added up a lot and in the end, yielded little results. I finished the tourney at rank 200 and I'm currently 5 shards away from unlocking ShoreTrooper.

As you can see..from my perspective increasing the cost of refreshes made the months of farming ally coins a total waste.

Now if ally coins were never added into Galatic War Shipments then I probably would have finished in the top 50, but because they did add ally coins to GWs..this gave everyone that had GW tokens to spend a good enough advantage to walk away with ShoreTrooper. I could have spent Gw tokens as well, but I decided to refrain from unnecessary spending and keep my eye on finishing what I started..which is to get General Grevious to 7*.

I couldn't imagine them increasing refreshes..spending 5k a battle is already expensive enough for the few points to move up ranks. At least you got a ShoreTrooper, even if you did have to fight a hundred times. People like me that had over 200k in ally points weren't as lucky.

Let me just add, I finished with 6100 points and I was at 200th place. If you finished at 27 with 6000 points be happy about that. If we had switched experiences you probably wouldn't still agree with making refreshes cost more. You would probably have been more annoyed and disgusted with this game like I currently am.

No matter if another tournament comes around or not I'm diffinitly not gonna bother with it. The fact that some people can get a ShoreTrooper with spending a few thousand coins and others have to spend hundreds of thousands and don't get a ShoreTrooper is pretty ridiculously messed up. I don't know about other people's shards, but my tournament shard was seriously unbalanced.
  • Options
    How does a person that started with zero Ally Points and no GW tokens finish 27th with 6k points? Such lies.

I had like 330k Ally points. Won the vast majority of my fights with at least 4 squad standing and I didn't break 6k score. Finished 16th.

Liar, liar. Pants on fire.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Finished around place 60 and maybe spend 5 hours in total for the whole tourney which ended me around 6k points. I don't really think it's that big of an investment tbh. Making it more expensive will make the competition harder. So I basically disagree since I do have the time.
    Post edited by CronozNL on
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    How does a person that started with zero Ally Points and no GW tokens finish 27th with 6k points? Such lies.

I had like 330k Ally points. Won the vast majority of my fights with at least 4 squad standing and I didn't break 6k score. Finished 16th.

Different tourney grouping I assume. Also I have a pretty deep roster.

• Options

If you pick your targets carefully you get max points each battle. I also finished top 100 with 6k points but I also waited 6h before logging in so I was placed on a less tryhard shard. Nr 1 only had 11k points. Perks of having patience and not directly logging in when tourney starts so you don't get paired with megawhales.
  • Options
    @CronozNL

I play on 2 separate accounts. My main I have spent money on and my other is 100% free to play with all my highest gear toons only at G8.
    My main account was definitely on a whale shard unfortunately. But my alt account was strangely on a new server. The people in the top 10 were using toons as low as 5* and the highest amount of points they had at payout was 4500.

I could be wrong but I I don't think the server choice depends on the time logged in after the tournament starts, it seems more likely that the shards we are assigned depends more on the power of your strongest toons. It was like this for both tournaments I noticed.

Both accounts I started soon as the tournament was ready and quickly I seen the difference in opponent choices, star level and the difference in the amount of whales was insanely obvious.

I wish it was determined by waiting...but it seems it goes by your rosters strongest power. If this is true then I'm not looking forward to future tournaments cause there is nothing I can do to weaken my roster. As for my alt, I keep their gear at G8 and lower on purpose for easier Galatic Wars, it also seems that a not as strong roster yields an easier tournament shard. I could be wrong..but for both tournaments my alt account seemed to have an easier time.
  • Options
    You scored 6000 point and ranked 27th on your ladder. How lucky were you. You would have ranked 500th on my server with that point. The refresh cost is fine as it is. I don't understand how that is an issue.
  • Options
    The problem with the tournament is that we are not in an even playing field. Raising the points per refresh is not the answer. Some people stored over 300k ally points. Limiting the refresh per toon is the answer. If you limit the refreshes to 3 to 5 per toon, then people are forced to expand their rosters in order to do better in the tournament.

If I can refreshes 20 times with one team, I have gotten around the need to expand my roster. If I can only refresh each toon 3-5 times, I will work on my 3rd and 4th team for the event.

I also think that you should get points from your defensive team.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @CronozNL

I play on 2 separate accounts. My main I have spent money on and my other is 100% free to play with all my highest gear toons only at G8.
    My main account was definitely on a whale shard unfortunately. But my alt account was strangely on a new server. The people in the top 10 were using toons as low as 5* and the highest amount of points they had at payout was 4500.

I could be wrong but I I don't think the server choice depends on the time logged in after the tournament starts, it seems more likely that the shards we are assigned depends more on the power of your strongest toons. It was like this for both tournaments I noticed.

Both accounts I started soon as the tournament was ready and quickly I seen the difference in opponent choices, star level and the difference in the amount of whales was insanely obvious.

I wish it was determined by waiting...but it seems it goes by your rosters strongest power. If this is true then I'm not looking forward to future tournaments cause there is nothing I can do to weaken my roster. As for my alt, I keep their gear at G8 and lower on purpose for easier Galatic Wars, it also seems that a not as strong roster yields an easier tournament shard. I could be wrong..but for both tournaments my alt account seemed to have an easier time.

Well we drew that conclusion because 5 guildmembers (myself included) logged in after 6h from the start of the tournament. We all got paired on the same shard and a different guildmember who is whalish, insta logged when tournament started and was on a 20k+ whalish shard. We all roughly started in november 2015 so that's where I base the story on.

Ps: it worked this way during the first tournament as well following this forum and reddit one.
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    @CronozNL

Well we drew that conclusion because 5 guildmembers (myself included) logged in after 6h from the start of the tournament. We all got paired on the same shard and a different guildmember who is whalish, insta logged when tournament started and was on a 20k+ whalish shard. We all roughly started in november 2015 so that's where I base the story on.

Ps: it worked this way during the first tournament as well following this forum and reddit one.

Yeah I'm on a early shard for both my accounts as well. December 18th to be exact. That's why I was shocked to see my alt account was placed in an extremely easy tournament shard and that lead me to believe it goes by highest roster power. If it indeed does go by when you log in then I will for sure try waiting next time. Bad thing about that is if everyone does that next time then I'm not sure how much of a difference waiting will make..but I'll gladly give it a try. It would also be nice to hear from the devs on this so we would know the exact reasoning to server shard placement for tournaments.
    Anyways thanks for the info I'm gonna give it a try next time on my main account.
  • Options
    To everyone saying this was shotetrooper's 'FINAL' appearance in the tourney, read this again: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/74796/shoretrooper-event-return-leaderboards#latest

It was stealth changed after the first announcement to say 'second' appearance, likely to get people hyped out of their minds, but for no reason since he'll apparently be back now.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind