Am I a bad guild leader?

Prev1
I am the leader of a guild that was doing well. Heroic rancor no problem. Then the tank raid showed up and we got hammered took over a month to beat normal. Balancing came and we were doing the normal in 2-3 refreshes. We created a line chat. Only 23 people out of 50 joined we kept working but this week I came across someone on the forums here that needed to merge. I cut people who weren't in the chat or who hadn't followed directions. We merged and I'm fairly certain we will now be able to complete heroic aat. Am I a **** or is this what this game has become?

Replies

• Options
    No, you evolving. It's normal. You did what is good for those remaining.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    Did you tell them line was mandatory? Were they aware that heroic aat was the goal? Were they all participating in normal AAT (5 battles per refresh)? Were they working towards HAAT viable teams?

If the answers to the above are yes, yes, no, no, then you are not a ****.
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    We did the same. We told everyone that Discord was mandatory. When tank came around, we cut everyone not on it and merged. A month later we were completing Heroic tank.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    Options
    Coolmcdrew wrote: »
    Am I a **** or is this what this game has become?

The release of the AAT was the death of many guilds. Our guild went from am active full guild easily clearing Heroic Rancor every second day (sometimes less often if someone was absent) to a barely surviving group of random 20 people struggling along and doing one Rancor a week. The only reason we haven't disbanded is because because those left are either too attached to the guild or just too lazy to look for another one. From what I hear many guilds met the same end.

So no, you're not a **** (really? |diot is censored but **** is not?), that's just the result of the devs' lack of foresight and releasing content without thinking of the consequences.
  • Options
    Just depends on the type of guild you want to run.

You can either have people all on the same page using the same chat and following rules or letting people do what they want and play when they want and just have a good time.

No wrong way, only the way you want to do it.
  • Options
    1) it's a freggin mobile game, not some high end content MMORPG like WoW
    2) SWGOH raids are not real raids. It's sorta but it's very compartmented form of an instance.
    Raids are battles where a group of players encounter an objective and not people taking turns.

Due to these reasons some players are like meh...
    Also possible that some players are probably playing real mmos and playing swgoh on the side.

Line is ok but sometimes it can get really annoying.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    making the guild better for the active members at the expense of the lesser active/unwilling players hardly makes you a ****. It's not like you owe your members anything, if they choose to participate they wouldn't have been cut.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I think you're fine. They'll find another guild that's more suited to their activity level, and everyone's angst will decrease.

On a side note, if you're currently doing normal in 2-3 refreshes, I'm not sure you're ready for Heroic. Our guild takes about 6 hours to clear P1 (because we limit to one squad, and some members hold back). Once we open up FFA, it's usually down within an hour or so. That said, I think we're about 90-95% of the way towards being ready for Heroic.
  • Options
    You did what you needed to do to keep the guild going
  • Options
    If you have to ask then the answers yes
  • Options
    xJimmyx wrote: »
    If you have to ask then the answers yes

i disagree.

It doesn't make him a bad guild leader, it makes him a serious guild leader. He has what he wants to do and if people don't follow they get the boot.

i think a bad guild leader would be one that isn't very active or doesn't try to help the guildmates get better in anyway.
  • Coolmcdrew
    117 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

DarthCPA wrote: »

On a side note, if you're currently doing normal in 2-3 refreshes, I'm not sure you're ready for Heroic. Our guild takes about 6 hours to clear P1 (because we limit to one squad, and some members hold back). Once we open up FFA, it's usually down within an hour or so. That said, I think we're about 90-95% of the way towards being ready for Heroic.

We were clearing normal before we did the merge. We merged with about 20 people who were clearing normal in one refresh. So at this point we have about 20 whales 50+ 7 star toons 20 serious ftp 25+ 7 stars and 10 who fall somewhere below that. I think at minimum we have a shot
  • Options
    I am the leader of a guild that was doing well. Heroic rancor no problem. Then the tank raid showed up and we got hammered took over a month to beat normal. Balancing came and we were doing the normal in 2-3 refreshes. We created a line chat. Only 23 people out of 50 joined we kept working but this week I came across someone on the forums here that needed to merge?

Yes, you're a cruel leader for forcing them to use that horrid app called Line. :D

But seriously, good job on growing your guild.

And, yes, consider Discord. There's many in my guild that would quit the guild if we required Line; yes, they hate it that bad, including myself.

@JJBagger @ThePhantomPennis @GuyfromSyracuse @Waterdog01

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    I am the leader of a guild that was doing well. Heroic rancor no problem. Then the tank raid showed up and we got hammered took over a month to beat normal. Balancing came and we were doing the normal in 2-3 refreshes. We created a line chat. Only 23 people out of 50 joined we kept working but this week I came across someone on the forums here that needed to merge?

Yes, you're a cruel leader for forcing them to use that horrid app called Line. :D

And, yes, consider Discord. There's many in my guild that would quit the guild if we required Line; yes, they hate it that bad, including myself.

I actually haven't had many issues at this point we have 37 out of 50 in the chat with more trickling in. Honestly as long as we can communicate it's good enough for me.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

This^^

Leaders make the hard calls. It's for betterment of the group, and that's that. A guild that doesn't evolve with the game will stall and lose players to more active and maybe better guilds.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

what's wrong with line? it does what it needs to do; allows you to chat with your guildies. What else do you need?
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

what's wrong with line? it does what it needs to do; allows you to chat with your guildies. What else do you need?

Snakes is just being a chat-snob. ;)

Seriously though - we used to use Line, went to Discord. Discord is better, but Line works and gets the job done.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Seriously though - we used to use Line, went to Discord. Discord is better, but Line works and gets the job done.

that much better that it becomes worth the hassle of trying to get all members to download yet another chat app?
  • Options

that much better that it becomes worth the hassle of trying to get all members to download yet another chat app?

It gives you an option to make different sections meaning you don't have only one chat room that's focused on many different topics. In other words, it's more organized.
  • Options
    Having only read the title, yes.. yes you are
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

It gives you an option to make different sections meaning you don't have only one chat room that's focused on many different topics. In other words, it's more organized.

ah ok, thanks. We kinda solved that by making multiple groups in line, wich works just fine.
  • Options
    Yes absolutely you are
  • Options
    We did the same thing,

Line kinda does that too.
    Curious though, what are those advantages really?
  • Options

Ditto. My guild uses Line and we're very happy with it.
  • Options
    Good job I say
  • Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    We did the same thing,

You have to test it out to see. All topics can be fitted into one group which makes it neater. You can also see members who are typing or active.
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    We did the same thing,

Look how clean and simplified Discord is in my screenshot below. Further, it's faster, more secure, and gives leaders full control over their various channels. It's also NOT a resource and battery hog like Line, and it's much easier on the eyes for viewing and reading chat. The notifications are absolutely amazing.

IMG_7804.png

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options
    Srsly u guys spend way too much time on his game with chat apps and notifications etc.

Swgoh is best when played for 30 mins tops while sitting on John.
  • Options
    Srsly u guys spend way too much time on his game with chat apps and notifications etc.

...Says the guy that's reading the forum and answering when he wasn't asked.
  • Options
    theHejiN wrote: »

...Says the guy that's reading the forum and answering when he wasn't asked.
    Ok mom.