Event Idea: Girls' Night

Prev1
So I've done the math, as I discussed in another topic and if my calculations are correct, we currently have 110 characters to choose from, out of which 19 are female. That puts the female-male character ratio at 91:91 (note:these numbers are updated from my original tally to include characters who were added after)

I was thinking a feminist event might be a nice touch for the game, or I may just be excited because I've managed to obtain enough for multiple all-female configurations (just four shards away from Rey...). We've already got a great assortment of female characters to choose from and there are plenty more who could be added. I have taken the liberty of including a list so far of all the major female characters currently in play...

Light Side
Luminara Unduli
Princess Leia
Aayla Secura
Resistance Pilot
Ahsoka Tano
Rey
Jedi Knight Guardian
Bariss Offee
Jyn Erso
Hera Syndulla
Dark Side
Talia
Captain Phasma
Nightsister Initiate
Mob Enforcer
Nighsister Acolyte
Asajj Ventress
Zam Wessell
Old Daka
Sith Assassin
That would give us a light-dark ratio of 10:9.

I was thinking the event could include a few different stages that move between light and dark side women (I'm not sure who the opponents would be yet).

I've also got a set of some new characters who could be introduced. It looks like Sabine will be released in the near future (probably after the Kanaan event) and she'd be a great addition. I've also got a few more below...

Light Side
Jaina Solo
Tenel Ka Djo
Jessica Meade
Jessika Pava
Adi Gallia
Shaak Ti
Kneesa
Auren Yomm
Mission Vao
Juhani
Bastila Shan
Brianna
Tionne Solusar
Rianna Saren
Jan Ors

Dark Side
Visas Marr
Chelli Lona Aphra
Arihnda Pryce
Seventh Sister
Ysanne_Isard
Juno Eclipse
Natasi Daala
Darth Zannah
Darth Cognus
Morag
Darth Traya

Replies

• GODFIST
    32 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sure resistance Pilot is Jessika Pava though....

But, there are more dudes than chicks in Star Wars as a whole. Are you counting the aliens and the droids in your ratio too?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Since they are aliens, would every single alien race even have the equivalent of a 'female'?

And besides, your night is probably my morning, you're not going to be able to coordinate a Girl's Night when we are talking about a game that spans across the world.
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Since they are aliens, would every single alien race even have the equivalent of a 'female'?

So far as I'm aware, most races in the Star Wars universe generally have the same basic distinction of male and female, with the possible exception of Hutts depending on whether you're going on canon or legends. In the former, they do; in the latter, they don't. That said, even in legends where Hutts were hermaphroditic, they did tend to identify as either male or female and were referred to by the appropriate pronouns.

Huatimus wrote: »
    And besides, your night is probably my morning, you're not going to be able to coordinate a Girl's Night when we are talking about a game that spans across the world.

Okay, I was trying to find a phrase that sounded good. I didn't actually intend it to happen over one night.

What would probably make more sense is doing it over a longer period of time, like a week. I was thinking each day could alternate between light and dark side with different characters to win. Then perhaps at the very end we could have a final level that brings both sides together.

GODFIST wrote: »
    Are you counting the aliens and the droids in your ratio too?

Totally. I was generally going on the characters' established gender regardless of species. That included the droids which are generally referred to as male. I also don't see any reason not to include aliens.
  • Options
    I love this idea.
  • Options
    @MasterSeedy
    I love this idea.

I've had a few trolls mocking my interest in gender representation, so it's nice to see someone who's willing to give it a shot for once. I don't suppose you could find any more female characters to add to my list?

I guess I'd also have to figure out exactly how this event would play out. I was wondering about something where it could alternate between light and dark side characters. That could be by day, or alternatively by tier.

I guess another possibility is if we were to set it over a few days and could play with different groups of female characters. Each day a different category could open up, or there could be a light/dark side version for each day.

This would mean we could include a few different categories. I'll include people from the current roster who would fit for reference...

Light Side
    Jedi (Luminara Unduli, Ahsoka Tano, Barris Offee, Jedi Knight Guardian, Aayla Secura)
    Rebels (Princess Leia, Hera Syndulla, Jyn Erso, Sabine Wren)

Dark Side
    Nightisters

Then perhaps at the very end, on the last day, there could be a big final match where the player can mix and match both light and dark side characters for bonus rewards.

We'd also need to decide on what kind of matches would be running. Like would the player's team also be fighting against an all-girl team from the opposing side or is there a better challenge we could come up with?
  • Kissycat
    410 posts Member
    Options
    I'd love to play an all female event again!! FYI they did one last year during June:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/46294/community-update-6-10-2016#latest

But now that there's even more female characters than last year, I think it would be much more interesting and fun to play.
  • Options
    I read about that event although I didn't have the specific dates. Sadly that was before I started playing.

As you noted there's a bigger cast now plus a large number of characters who could be added.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    @JynErso42

I actually really like this idea!

An all woman team event - can unlock Bastilla (she would be my first choice for a new female toon for sure!)
  • Options
    I was thinking maybe they could make it a 6-hour event once per week, where all it does is limit GW teams to female characters. It wouldn't require much programming. If you start GW during the 6-hour time frame (to make it an actual "ladies NIGHT", you can only use your female characters, the enemies will all be female characters, and everything is a bit easier (to compensate for the fact that you can't use your whole roster & some of the characters where you've invested a lot of time & equipment, possibly even your best characters, are unavailable).

It would require absolutely minimal programming & if you didn't want to play it, you can start your GW before 6pm on that day. (Maybe you are afraid you don't have enough characters on your roster or something?)

So what would be the bonus? Every time you normally get a random shard? (I think node 6, 9, 11, & 12, but I might be wrong) you get 5 random shards instead, but they are all of female characters (each time you get 5 it's the same character, but the next node it's random again). Otherwise, the rewards for GW are exactly the same.

What do you think?

Of course, it's also a good idea to have all the shards on Ladies Night be non-random and of a specific, hard-to-get or maybe brand new character. In that case, though, I don't think you should get 5 shards per 1.

If you want to have a new character, one way to do it is to have all the shards be non-random, but that's still only 6 shards per week - a very long farm.

One great way to do it would be to unlock a character by winning a Ladies Night Galactic War - node 12 (all the way through). Once you win a LNGW, then the new character is available in the GW store, but it doesn't show up in the GW store until then. You could still have the shards on Ladies Night be non-random, if you wanted, AND unlock the new character by winning LNGW. It would only be an extra 6 shards/week.

I don't know, I was just thinking about how to make this easy for the programmers to implement, and thus more likely for them to do.
  • Options
    I didn't know Bastila, so I looked her up. She seems fine, but she's a Jedi & we have more women in the Jedi than in any other faction.

A woman bounty-hunter would be good. Mara Jade as a woman Empire toon would be excellent. +Empire needs a bit of a boost.

If she is a Jedi like Bastila, she needs to do excellent damage - the Jedi just don't have good damage dealers.
  • Options
    @JynErso42

Toon List, by Faction:

LIGHT SIDE:
    Jedi: Barriss, Lumi, Aayla, Ahsoka,
    ?PossibleJedi?: JediKnight Guardian,

Rebels: Leia, Hera, Sabine, Jyn Erso
    Phoenix Rebels: Hera, Sabine

Resistance: Rey
    PossibleResistance: Resistance Pilot? I've heard some say this is a woman character, but the pronoun used for the character is "they". Could be a woman. Might not be. Who knows?

DARK SIDE:
    First Order: Phasma

NightSisters: Ventress, Nightsister Acolyte, Nightsister Initiate, Old Daka, Talia

Scoundrels/Bounty Hunters: Mob Enforcer, Zam Wesell

Separatists: Ventress

Sith: Sith Assassin

FACTIONS WITH NO WOMEN:
    CLONE TROOPERS: Just calling it out, but obviously you shouldn't have any Jango-Fett-Clones that are female. Still, you could have a Jedi with Clone synergy that's a woman/female.

DROIDS: None. Zero. Nada. Although to be fair, this isn't a problem with just the game: Star Wars has been pretty bad at remembering that AIs can be gendered too. I remember lots of times in books where droids are referred to as "he" but I can't ever remember a droid being referred to as "she".

EMPIRE: None. Zero. Nada. They desperately need Mara Jade here. Or that woman governor from the Star Wars Rebels series. Or someone. Anyone.

EWOKS: They avoid masculine and feminine pronouns altogether for the ewoks. So no women/females, but there could be.

Geonosians: I looked at the pronouns they use for the Geo toons & couldn't find any that use "she" to describe them. Most use "he", but not all.

Jawas: Same as Geonosians. However, only the base Jawa uses "he".

TOONS THAT COULD BE WOMEN, if EA/CG wanted to change their descriptions:
    Any Trooper, Scout, Officer, or Pilot character that doesn't have a specific, proper name. This includes things like "Resistance Trooper" and "MagmaTrooper". I'm not sure if the Imperial Stormtroopers were clones, but the First Order Stormtroopers weren't.

Most of the Ewoks (Ewok Elder seems an especially good choice)

Jawas: The only Jawa that uses masculine pronouns is the basic Jawa. The Engineer, Scavenger, Chief & Dathcha all use just their names in the descriptions - no pronouns.

Gamorrean Guard

Geonosians: The Geonosian Soldier is a candidate. Geonosian Spy & Sun Fac use "he", but Poggle the Lesser uses no pronouns...though I think there might be a few times in the books where "he" was used. Thus I don't think any other Geonosians could be women/female characters. There was a hive mother in the TV Show Clone Wars, but she hasn't shown up as a character yet.

Royal Guard

Tuskens (How do we even know what male & female look like for them? And if we knew, could we still tell under the clothes?). No Tusken uses masculine pronouns in the description.
  • Options
    Confirmed that Jedi Knight Guardian is called "her" in the in-game description - she shouldn't be listed as "possible" but definitely a woman/female character.
  • Options
    What are the best women/female characters that are missing?

I want to see Dark Barriss. Definitely Mara Jade. Aurra Sing would be good. You mentioned Bastila. Which others?
  • Options
    I was looking up some of your suggestions. I like Rianna Saren - she could be a good Scoundrel. She might cause a problem though with the Rogue One timeline. She seems like she's part of an alternate (non-canon) version of how the Rebellion got the DeathStar plans.

Jan Ors is even better. I really like her.

Visas Marr is both Light & Dark, with a complex story. She could be good.
    ...I'll look at more names later.
  • JynErso42
    197 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MasterSeedy

@JynErso42
    EWOKS: They avoid masculine and feminine pronouns altogether for the ewoks. So no women/females, but there could be.

I don't suppose you're familiar at all with that Ewoks Cartoon series? I don't know if there's an intended gender for the ones in the game, but that show did have a few female characters who could be added, such as Kneesa.
    I was looking up some of your suggestions. I like Rianna Saren - she could be a good Scoundrel. She might cause a problem though with the Rogue One timeline. She seems like she's part of an alternate (non-canon) version of how the Rebellion got the DeathStar plans.

To be fair, Lethal Alliance came first, but the whole business with the Death Star plans was kind of screwy before Rogue One provided a definitive, official version. In legends there was at least ten different versions of how the plans were stolen, many of them contradictory and attributing it to different characters.

That said, I personally enjoyed Rianna's characterization and I wouldn't mind seeing her implemented into the game.

It would also be refreshing to find a light-side bounty hunter for a change. Bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe are always stereotyped as these ruthless killers who will do anything for money. I'd be open to seeing more who actually have a moral code or some sort of complexity to them.
    Post edited by JynErso42 on
  • Options
    Visas Marr is both Light & Dark, with a complex story. She could be good.

Actually, it just so happens I've been working with another user, @SumantraGanguly, in coming up with some ideas for characters and abilities. Here is the board where I posted some of those concepts, including ideas for Visas.

@JynErso42
    EMPIRE: None. Zero. Nada. They desperately need Mara Jade here. Or that woman governor from the Star Wars Rebels series. Or someone. Anyone.

There are definitely a few possible choices in both the legends and canon timelines, plus the Empire could use a few more units anyway. Governor Pryce would probably be the most obvious choice, and one that could conceivably happen in the near future now that they've started adding the cast of Rebels.

• JynErso42
    197 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What are the best women/female characters that are missing?

I want to see Dark Barriss. Definitely Mara Jade. Aurra Sing would be good. You mentioned Bastila. Which others?

Well, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Juhani added to the game. I even came up with a whole other event that could be used to introduce her.

Mission Vao would also be a welcome addition, but I seem to be the only one interested in a Twi'lek squad (something that could be accomplished if they added Rianna Saren and one other).

• Options
    I was thinking maybe they could make it a 6-hour event once per week, where all it does is limit GW teams to female characters. It wouldn't require much programming. If you start GW during the 6-hour time frame (to make it an actual "ladies NIGHT", you can only use your female characters, the enemies will all be female characters, and everything is a bit easier (to compensate for the fact that you can't use your whole roster & some of the characters where you've invested a lot of time & equipment, possibly even your best characters, are unavailable).

It would require absolutely minimal programming & if you didn't want to play it, you can start your GW before 6pm on that day. (Maybe you are afraid you don't have enough characters on your roster or something?)

That's actually not too bad an idea. I didn't really think about it before but having themed galactic war events do make a degree of sense.

You mentioned a six-hour timeframe. The only problem with that would be that it would only work as a "girls' night" for anyone in a designated timezone. I'm wondering if it would be possible to set it up so that the event ran at different times around the world according to when nighttime was actually happening. This would probably mean having to run several different sessions for different regions, but they would probably be more or less identical beyond the fact that they're not running simultaneously so it might not be too hard.

• Options
    Galactic War already resets based on your personal time zone - Midnight each day is midnight where you are (or at least where you were when you started playing the game & originally registered) for purposes of Daily Challenges & GW & Bonus Energy & all that.

Even payout for your Arena Rank is by your time zone - they tell me that you can have a different player ranked #1 in Arena every single hour & every single one of them would get the #1 rank payout as long as they were each ranked #1 at the right time in their own time zone. Arena Payout is 6pm for your personal time zone, & GW reset is midnight for your personal time zone, so I was just kind of assuming that each different player's "Ladies Night" could/would start at 6pm for that person's local time zone. I guess I should have made that clear.

I'm glad you like the idea of a themed GW. I don't want to reduce the cool events (especially since they often give Vader shards!) but I thought if it were easy, they might be willing to do the programming sooner.
  • Options
    J
    ynErso42: I seem to be the only one interested in a Twi'lek squad (something that could be accomplished if they added Rianna Saren and one other).

Lol. Yeah, I guess I'm not jumping up and down to get a Twi'lek squad. I think it would be good if they had special Twi'lek synergies, but right now Aayla & Hera don't seem to have anything in common (and I can't remember the 3rd Twi'lek).
  • Options

Even payout for your Arena Rank is by your time zone - they tell me that you can have a different player ranked #1 in Arena every single hour & every single one of them would get the #1 rank payout as long as they were each ranked #1 at the right time in their own time zone. Arena Payout is 6pm for your personal time zone, & GW reset is midnight for your personal time zone, so I was just kind of assuming that each different player's "Ladies Night" could/would start at 6pm for that person's local time zone. I guess I should have made that clear.

Is that how it works? Okay, then that would actually be easy to pull off in most respects. There would probably need to be an announcement or something beforehand but other than that I don't see any problems timing-wise.

One thing I would note: I don't think saying that the campaign would be "a bit easier" is the best choice of words. I think I get what you were trying to say but I'm just concerned about that sentence being taken the wrong way.

That said, you did make a valid point. It gets harder to keep your characters at the same level once you really get going, and different players are going to have different preferences so having a fixed level wouldn't be the best idea.

It wouldn't be a problem for me, naturally. My two best characters right now are Aayla Secura and Hera Syndulla, and I've got several other strong characters (Ahsoka Tano, Rey, Sabine Wren, Luminara Unduli, Jedi Knight Guardian, Princess Leia) close behind, but I also know that's not the approach everyone is going to take.

It's also hard to anticipate exactly what levels players will be at if they enter. I don't suppose there's a way the game could construct teams according to the current ranks of the available characters. I'd say perhaps choosing the highest ranked female character each player has available and then using that to construct an opposing team.

On the other hand, in the standard galactic war the opposing teams, while controlled by AI, are usually made by other players. I don't know exactly how the system works or if any of my squads have been faced by other GW players, but it may still be possible to implement something like that for Girls' Night, in which case the pre-designed squads can be selected according to the player's current rank.
  • Options
    If what I read is right, you best Power score on a squad that won a battle in the arena or at least one node in GW is then used to find other squads of similar power (minus a certain percent for the first node working up to plus a certain percent at the higher nodes).

Of course, your best squad isn't necessarily just your 5 highest power characters, so maybe they do something else to calculate your expected power for the first node you play... but after that, the best team you put forward in GW-Ladies' Night can be used in the same power-calculation that they use normally???

Not sure, I think I'm getting into territory where the programmers really need to make these decisions, but it certainly seems doable.

============
    On other topics, I wish I had a good Aayla. I need so many different teams for different events & raiding & all that. And she's farmable, but at 12 cantina energy when there are other toons like Lando that are 8 energy *and* Lando can be used in both rebel events and scoundrel events. So I'm prioritizing toons that have more than one faction Lando = rebel+scoundrel, Ig-88 = droid + scoundrel + bounty hunter, etc.)

I'm going to get to Aayla as soon as I can, but unless she comes to the GW store, it's going to be a while. :sigh:

Hera and Sabine would be great too, but they're just a pipe dream right now.
  • Options
    @MasterSeedy
    Hera and Sabine would be great too, but they're just a pipe dream right now.

Were you not able to get them in their events? Unlike the Lord of Hunger Event (which made it impossible for players like me to get Darth Nihilus) you only need to finish the first tier to actually unlock the character. The later ones give you additional bonuses. There should still be time to unlock Sabine at least, although getting the credits and training droids needed to get her leveled up is a whole other matter.
  • Options
    On other topics, I wish I had a good Aayla. I need so many different teams for different events & raiding & all that. And she's farmable, but at 12 cantina energy when there are other toons like Lando that are 8 energy *and* Lando can be used in both rebel events and scoundrel events. So I'm prioritizing toons that have more than one faction Lando = rebel+scoundrel, Ig-88 = droid + scoundrel + bounty hunter, etc.)

I'm going to get to Aayla as soon as I can, but unless she comes to the GW store, it's going to be a while. :sigh:

I kinda got lucky and managed to unlock her in a chromium pack shortly after I started playing. In fact she was the first female character I managed to unlock. From there I was able to prioritize her over my other units when it came to levels so that she would my strongest unit.

I guess I had a lot of time to really get her into a good position, and now I tend to level up her and Hera first whenever I level up.
  • Options
    If what I read is right, you best Power score on a squad that won a battle in the arena or at least one node in GW is then used to find other squads of similar power (minus a certain percent for the first node working up to plus a certain percent at the higher nodes).

Of course, your best squad isn't necessarily just your 5 highest power characters, so maybe they do something else to calculate your expected power for the first node you play... but after that, the best team you put forward in GW-Ladies' Night can be used in the same power-calculation that they use normally???

Not sure, I think I'm getting into territory where the programmers really need to make these decisions, but it certainly seems doable.

I won't pretend I understand all the technical stuff, but I don't see any reason this idea couldn't work. Now we just need to make sure it gets seen by the developers.
  • Options
    If we're going to go in the direction of Galactic War, do you think it would be a good idea to start another post on that board as well?

One thing I'm also wondering is whether this event should focus on introducing new female characters to be added to the game or emphasize ones we already have.

I could see either approach working, but if they were to introduce new characters, would it make sense to introduce them for the Galactic War or to run a few events beforehand to set it up.

I was wondering if perhaps it would be a good idea to have a series of events alternating between light and dark side groups of characters and introducing new additions to the main groups wherever applicable.

Some ideas with characters who could be introduced...

Republic: Mission Vao, Padme Amidala,

Jedi: Shaak Ti, Adi Gallia, Depa Billaba, Bastilla Shan, Juhani

Empire: Governor Pryce, Natasi Daala, Ysanne Isard, Juno Eclipse

Rebels: Rebel Ahsoka, Rianna Saren, Numa, Kea Moll

Resistance: Jessika Pava
  • Options
    Were you not able to get (Hera & Sabine) in their events?... you only need to finish the first tier to actually unlock the character. The later ones give you additional bonuses. There should still be time to unlock Sabine at least,

Oh, I unlocked them, but I can't raid with them at only 3*, and I can't even get good use out of them in GW. I could gear them up really high (Nihilus is still incredibly good at 3* with enough levels and gear), but I'm still struggling to get my characters to gear9 (I currently only have one g9 character & no g10s).

When I'm shard farming from earlier LightSide nodes, there have been a few times when I used them and played the node just for fun instead of simming it. But that's it until I get my scoundrels geared for all the credit/droid heist events & a better raid team together (I'm farming Teebo in GW right now). And I have to think about farming ships to get Zetas, though I may just skip that part of the game.
  • Options
    If we're going to go in the direction of Galactic War, do you think it would be a good idea to start another post on that board as well?

yes, definitely. Do you want to do that?
    One thing I'm also wondering is whether this event should focus on introducing new female characters to be added to the game or emphasize ones we already have.

I could see either approach working, but if they were to introduce new characters, would it make sense to introduce them for the Galactic War or to run a few events beforehand to set it up.

I'd rather make some characters that aren't farmable (or are very slow farms) more available, but that's just me.

If they want to do events for new characters, well, there are a couple of NightSisters characters that are in the game files but haven't been released as playable yet. Maybe a special "War on Dathomir" event to release Mother Talzin & a couple other named Nightsisters(there are a couple more from the show that haven't been released yet). They could do an "Old Republic" event to release those classic characters. If they wanted, they could tie it together by allowing you to activate the character through the event, but anyone who has activated the character can then pick up shards in GW.
  • Options

yes, definitely. Do you want to do that?

I'm thinking it would be a good idea.
  • Options

I'd rather make some characters that aren't farmable (or are very slow farms) more available, but that's just me.

Good idea. There's definitely a few that are harder to get at the moment, like Sith Assassin.

One thing I liked about the Rebel event compared to Lord of Hunger was that you unlocked the characters right away. Lord of Hunger only gave you a few shards for each tier, so unlocking each of its new characters required you to progress through several tiers and they went so high that could only be achieved at a particular level.

I got what I could but eventually I'd always reach a point where I was basically just sending my squad to their deaths because they had no hope of getting past a level significantly higher than them.

They could do an "Old Republic" event to release those classic characters. If they wanted, they could tie it together by allowing you to activate the character through the event, but anyone who has activated the character can then pick up shards in GW.

An Old Republic Event would be a neat idea. They've already got a few characters who would work great for that event and it would be a neat opportunity to introduce some more.