Droid strats and comps in the meta

12346Next

Replies

• Options
    STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    Woodroward wrote: »
    I was pretty sure you had to use an image hosting site.

Gratz on 1st. Think it will be happening again? And what was your team that took first?

Might happen again, maybe not 1st but top 5. I used HK, R2, 88, BB-8 and B2. Some people on my shard are changing to GK and Barriss, so that makes it easier.

I remember the days when GK and Zarriss were a pain in the **** for droid users. I run to fight those teams lol.

I still lose to them sometimes. If 88 or BB-8 die I lost :/ the only people on my shard that uses them have godlike mods so kenobi has 120k or higher total health
  • Options
    I almost have BB8 to G11 and he's been a wonderful addition to my arena team (HK/88/86/R2/BB); I especially love that I can have a proper turn order now too. I start with BB8 to get Secret Intel rolling, R2 for burn and/or stealth (depending on the team) then the normal HK, 88, 86. https://swgoh.gg/u/koreial/

So my question is, what's the current consensus on his taunt? I held off on picking it up after reading some of the regrets in this thread but now I was thinking about getting the taunt once he hits G11. It seems like I usually either win or lose before I even get the chance to cast Illuminated Destiny anyway; or, I get to cast it when there's 1 enemy left which is practically useless. Most of my losses seem to come from 88 or 86 dying too early from a Wiggs triple shot so the taunt might help with that as well. I'm thinking the taunt will also increase my damage quite a bit and add more turns/cooldown reduction for BB8 with all of the counters and crits.

Are people still regretting picking up the taunt? I plan on getting both of his Zetas (i'm thinking the assist one first?); should I wait until I have one of his Zetas?

• STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Koreial wrote: »
    I almost have BB8 to G11 and he's been a wonderful addition to my arena team (HK/88/86/R2/BB); I especially love that I can have a proper turn order now too. I start with BB8 to get Secret Intel rolling, R2 for burn and/or stealth (depending on the team) then the normal HK, 88, 86. https://swgoh.gg/u/koreial/

So my question is, what's the current consensus on his taunt? I held off on picking it up after reading some of the regrets in this thread but now I was thinking about getting the taunt once he hits G11. It seems like I usually either win or lose before I even get the chance to cast Illuminated Destiny anyway; or, I get to cast it when there's 1 enemy left which is practically useless. Most of my losses seem to come from 88 or 86 dying too early from a Wiggs triple shot so the taunt might help with that as well. I'm thinking the taunt will also increase my damage quite a bit and add more turns/cooldown reduction for BB8 with all of the counters and crits.

Are people still regretting picking up the taunt? I plan on getting both of his Zetas (i'm thinking the assist one first?); should I wait until I have one of his Zetas?

I'm kinda on the fence about his taunt. Sometimes it's really good since he counters (R2 assists and stuns) and heals everyone, but sometimes he gets 1 shot or he gets stunned and then he can't dodge anything while he's stunned. Against GK and barriss teams his taunt is great. But against teams with OP raid Han it can be terrible because Han will do 25k with his special attack, gain 100% TM then hit twice with his basic for 15k each, and BB-8 gets destroyed. I try not to use his Covert Data Transfer after the 1st turn so BB-8 doesn't die, but sometimes it's choose to taunt or attack CLS, Leia, Han, Wedge, etc and get countered for 15-20k. Against any team other than CLS lead it's great though
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would think that you'd have to uber maximize protection for his taunt to be okay.

To do so you'd start with R2D2. He has 29,560 protection. You can get up to 4 primaries at 23.5%, which leaves room for 2% secondaries which will max around 5 or 6% (from what I've seen. The highest flat protection secondary I have seen is about 3000 protection.

So for R2's protection we take (29,560 X ((4 X 23.5) + (2 X 6))) + (6 X 3000) = 78,893
    R2 will give 15% of that to other droids in a 5 droid comp. 78893 X ,15 = 11,834
    Now we can do the same with BB8's protection which maxes out at 30,427
    30,427 X 2.06 + 18000 + 11,834 = 92,513

So you can get BB8's protection up to over 90,000 with R2 in comp and maximizing their protection stats on both of them (this means not maximizing speed however, getting about +30 speed on each). With his 25k health that makes his combined health pool about 115k.

That also means that he'd be getting 8k protection along with 1900 health back every time he dodged. He only has 5% health steal and a very hard hitting basic attack with a high multiplier (that you'll want to never use if you want to get his ultimate off) He should be capable of hitting 10-15k without too much effort so that's like about 350 health each counterattack.

SInce he gets foresight every other turn, that means he generates about 10,250 survivability after being attacked twice. He probably took about 20k damage in that one attack, so we're looking at an estimated loss of 5k survivability per attack. At 115,000 combined health and protection we are looking at around 23 attacks he would take before dying. This means that he will take at least half that many turns with crits and a few of his own besides. We're looking at about ~20 turns that he's going to take with all that protection stacking.

At over 90,000 protection, I would think his taunt would be okay. The lack of speed secondaries wouldn't really be that detrimental either since R2 and BB8 would both get a bonus turn whenever BB8 counterattacked due to the crits.

So I think that something along those lines would probably be the way to go if you drop the taunt on him.
    Post edited by Woodroward on
  • Options
    In case anyone missed it, you can take anyone's base protection amount and put it in the formula: [Protection] x 2.06 + 18,000= and come up with their (roughly) max possible protection
  • Options
    I may consider switching to defense sets over speed on BB8 if I was running the above scenario too. It would be roughly a 2% increase in armor for him a 2.5% increase in resistance. over 20 attacks (only half of which hit), that adds up to 20-25% damage reduction. at 20k hits, that's basically an extra 4-5k health and basically another turn of living based on our estimated survivability.

Now if we stacked health instead we'd get an extra 25,270 X .15 = 3790 health.
    Figuring 10 turns of dodges means we'll recover health equal to an additional 8% X 10 of that 3790 health or 80% of it besides that, but since 80% of our survivability is in our protection, we'll actually only get 20% of that back. So it ends up being worth an additional 3790 X 1.16 = 4396 or basically exactly the same as the defense set will be worth in the long run.

TLDR: Using either a health or defense set will give you roughly one extra turn of life with bb8.
  • Options
    I'm kinda on the fence about his taunt. Sometimes it's really good since he counters (R2 assists and stuns) and heals everyone, but sometimes he gets 1 shot or he gets stunned and then he can't dodge anything while he's stunned. Against GK and barriss teams his taunt is great. But against teams with OP raid Han it can be terrible because Han will do 25k with his special attack, gain 100% TM then hit twice with his basic for 15k each, and BB-8 gets destroyed. I try not to use his Covert Data Transfer after the 1st turn so BB-8 doesn't die, but sometimes it's choose to taunt or attack CLS, Leia, Han, Wedge, etc and get countered for 15-20k. Against any team other than CLS lead it's great though

I don't run into too many CLS leads in my arena so I think i'll pick up the taunt when I get G11. Which Zeta would you recommend first? I'm assuming the assist but I wasn't sure how useful the heal was.

• Options
    Koreial wrote: »

I don't run into too many CLS leads in my arena so I think i'll pick up the taunt when I get G11. Which Zeta would you recommend first? I'm assuming the assist but I wasn't sure how useful the heal was.

Assist is much better if you have R2 as well
  • TheChampionBum
    340 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I messed up on the taunt and omega'd the ability without even thinking about the repercussions. Although I can definitely see it being extremely useful but only once you have at least one of his zetas. After reading these recent comments, I've decided to zeta his assist ability first as I use R2 in my arena team and maybe I can take some pointers and try to maximize BB8's protection instead of relying on R2 to keep foresight up on BB8.
    Where is my kitten General Grievous rework at!!??
  • Options
    I'm thinking it's still necessary to stack speed on r2 but you could get away with selling out on survivability with bb8. He should still end up 100k or more health and protection.
  • Options
    Hk(L) r2, ig88, bb8, chopper.

Chopper with added buffs on basic + extra attacks in between, will boost tm like crazy, also has a dispell that's not aoe and takes away tm. Good for teams with chirrut/Baze. Also chopper is one of the fastest characters in the game.

R2 for stealth and stun + number crunch added bonuses.

Ig88 damage/ heal immunity, aoe only after being stealthed by r2.

Bb8 takes JE spot. Gives potency to other characters like r2,ig88 and hk. Use r2 stealth on bb8 for a soft heal

Hi for debuff and leadership ability. Can also be used as a tank for stealth if bb8 is lacking health.

Ideal order:
    Chopper, bb8,r2,hk,ig88

Chopper to dispell taunt right off the bat
    Bb8 uses special
    R2 stealth
    Hk debuffs
    Ig88 damage and debuff

If faceing a gk/Barris team use crit immunity to start to take out Barris and gk.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    HB0MBZ wrote: »

Chopper with added buffs on basic + extra attacks in between, will boost tm like crazy, also has a dispell that's not aoe and takes away tm. Good for teams with chirrut/Baze. Also chopper is one of the fastest characters in the game.

Bb8 takes JE spot. Gives potency to other characters like r2,ig88 and hk. Use r2 stealth on bb8 for a soft heal

Hi for debuff and leadership ability. Can also be used as a tank for stealth if bb8 is lacking health.

Ideal order:
    Chopper, bb8,r2,hk,ig88

Bb8 uses special
    R2 stealth
    Hk debuffs
    Ig88 damage and debuff

If faceing a gk/Barris team use crit immunity to start to take out Barris and gk.

How well do you do with that strategy? If you use it at all lol. And also it would be best if BB-8 goes first so you can start spreading Secret Intel, otherwise you just wasted potential cooldown reduction for Illuminated Destiny. In theory it can be really good in some situations, but often times you need the buff immunity from B2. It definitely gives BB-8 more survivability since there's another taunter, but I'm not sure if that's enough.
    Post edited by STRIKEBOMB on
  • Options
    Just zeta'd BB8's unique "Roll with the punches" and it is definitely worth it if you use R2 in your droid team (which is pretty much required now to stay competitive). I finally managed to take out a meta team this time even though im pretty sure i got lucky with the good RNG for B2's buff immunity and 88's ability blocks. Im now sitting at rank 78 and out of battles. I'll update my answer and see how well I fared on defense throughout the night.
  • Options

Ideal order:
    Chopper, bb8,r2,hk,ig88

Bb8 uses special
    R2 stealth
    Hk debuffs
    Ig88 damage and debuff

How well do you do with that strategy? If you use it at all lol. And also it would be best if BB-8 goes first so you can start spreading Secret Intel, otherwise you just wasted potential cooldown reduction for Illuminated Destiny. In theory it can be really good in some situations, but often times you need the buff immunity from B2. It definitely gives BB-8 more survivability since there's another taunter, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

It's a good team. It beats cls. But not zbarris gk team. I haven't had a good rex team to face but idk how it would do. It mostly counters the plague of cls
  • Options

Ideal order:
    Chopper, bb8,r2,hk,ig88

Bb8 uses special
    R2 stealth
    Hk debuffs
    Ig88 damage and debuff

It's a good team. It beats cls. But not zbarris gk team. I haven't had a good rex team to face but idk how it would do. It mostly counters the plague of cls

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to try out chopper instead of B2 sometimes. He's only gear 10 though and about a month out from gear 11.
  • Options
    So we have set up a chat for droid users on discord. If you have questions or ideas about droids, or just want to chat about them feel free to join:

https://discord.gg/58kBAZH

• Options
    Any thouts on the new Imperial Probe Droid fitting into droid comps?
  • Options
    General consensus on our discord channel is that he will be just what the Dr. ordered as far as droids go unless he is really slow and squishy.
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to IPD but who will be taken out of the team for him? B2? BB8? 88 and HK are required. R2 is too good to not have in the team. My guess is it would be B2 but then there goes the buff immunity. I need to research IPD more as I haven't looked into his kit in detail but he is very interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    Target lock = kind of Buff immunity. B2 feed the cls train, the new one offers B2 dispel and DN kill. Clearly a good addition