An old foe reveals their true face [MERGE]

Replies

• Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    Its not a new vader.(Come on..Whyyy??) Most likely gonna be unmasked Kylo... His skin is already gonna be in battlefront 2 at launch so who knows?

Cross marketing man. That's why we have the Phoenix. That's why we got BB8 too.

Vader has a new comic book coming out. You really think it is a stretch Disney said: "Hey put a new Vader in your game to promote our new comic!" Most people thought something like that is what caused the Phoenix to arrive... and why they've become a necessary roster addition as well.

Is putting a new Kylo in the game going to make more people watch "the Last Jedi"? Probably not. Is putting a new Vader in game going to make more people read his new comic book? Probably...
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If its an unmasked kylo i will be so mad at the wordage. He is not an old foe.

He could be considered an old foe in some semblance of the words. He destroyed Luke's Jedi years before the events in "the Force Awakens" so he was an "old foe" of some of the heroes of that flick.

Though I too would be displeased with that choice of words if it turned out to be the case. He's still second on my list of likelihood.
  • Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    Its not a new vader.(Come on..Whyyy??) Most likely gonna be unmasked Kylo... His skin is already gonna be in battlefront 2 at launch so who knows?

Vader has a new comic book coming out. You really think it is a stretch Disney said: "Hey put a new Vader in your game to promote our new comic!" Most people thought something like that is what caused the Phoenix to arrive... and why they've become a necessary roster addition as well.

Is putting a new Kylo in the game going to make more people watch "the Last Jedi"? Probably not. Is putting a new Vader in game going to make more people read his new comic book? Probably...

Uuhm shouldn’t this be the opposite?
    A TLJ character would 100% benefit more over a new vader for a comic book... Those comic books isn’t around everywhere like in the US.
    The movies are so much bigger than the comic books..
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Uuhm shouldn’t this be the opposite?
    A TLJ character would 100% benefit more over a new vader for a comic book... Those comic books isn’t around everywhere like in the US.
    The movies are so much bigger than the comic books..
    So cross marketing has 2 potential ways to have traffic flow, I was only addressing one way while you are more or less commenting on the opposite way.

Putting a TLJ character in game might draw fans of the movies to the game, but it isn't going to make fans of the game go watch the movie. They were going to do that anyway. Putting a comic book character in the game has a greater potential to stir up buzz for the comic rather than drawing the fans of the comic book to the game (though it could happen if they advertise the game in the comic). The idea is that it's more or less a new Star Wars platform that Disney is launching (much like Rebels) and they are trying to get people interested in it. Cross marketing to benefit Disney, not necessarily CG/EA (although they will still reap some rewards for it too both from customers and Disney themselves).

There is certainly a big incentive for Disney to have approached EA/CG and say: "Hey, we want you to put Vader from our new comic book in your game" as it would stir up interest in their comic, but they are less likely to have said: "Hey, we want you to put a second Kylo Ren in your game" as it wouldn't really stir up any more interest in TLJ.

The fact that movies are more popular than comics is EXACTLY why it makes more sense from a marketing standpoint to crosspromote the comic book.
  • Options

He could be considered an old foe in some semblance of the words. He destroyed Luke's Jedi years before the events in "the Force Awakens" so he was an "old foe" of some of the heroes of that flick.

Though I too would be displeased with that choice of words if it turned out to be the case. He's still second on my list of likelihood.

Kylo has not been around for years. Old foe imo means someone who has been around either in the game as a foe for a real long time or someone from in the star wars universe for real time line for a long time. So kylo doesnt fit either of those. Force awakens is only 2 years old and kylo has never really been a foe in the game. Im not saying its not him. But disagree w the wording if it is. Also they saod the first toon from TLJ would be released in Dec and this is whats ahead for November so hes eliminated for that also
  • Options

Kylo has not been around for years. Old foe imo means someone who has been around either in the game as a foe for a real long time or someone from in the star wars universe for real time line for a long time. So kylo doesnt fit either of those. Force awakens is only 2 years old and kylo has never really been a foe in the game. Im not saying its not him. But disagree w the wording if it is. Also they saod the first toon from TLJ would be released in Dec and this is whats ahead for November so hes eliminated for that also

While I agree with your listing of logic on the use of the terminology of old, I simply believe that there is one other tenuous definition of it that could apply to make him so, even if it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kylo has been around for years in the star wars universe as Luke has been missing for years, he just wasn't around for our last peek in at the star wars universe. As for TLJ character release, Kylo took his mask off in the Force Awakens so that doesn't really preclude it either.

I honestly believe it will be a new Vader simply because he fits the clue best, but the hint points very strongly to Kylo as well.. more so than anyone besides Vader.
  • Enerdrizer
    263 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I can not see kylo here, there is only 1 hint concerning him and is about revealing face but he is still the same character.
    I thought about vader but he just die after a few moments, unless it would be something about his prime.

What if all this is just about rework :)
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i suppose i am making a bit of a leap of faith. The first glimpse we have of Kylo Ren is in the Canon novel "Bloodlines" and that is 6 years before the Force Awakens. In that novel, Luke and the Jedi are unreachable by Leia. Now that may not be tied to the events that led to him becoming Kylo Ren, but that was the impression I got.

Kylo did have enough time after the slaughter to go and ally himself with the First Order as well as becoming known across the galaxy (one would assume the Jedi are a rather secretive order and him being an apprentice would make him more like an unknown until his betrayal). How quickly things become known across the galaxy seems to happen far slower than they do here, and why wouldn't they? Take the amount of things that happen here and multiply them by several orders of magnitude and you'll have the amount of things that happen across the galaxy. Increasing the speed of communications doesn't increase a person's time or brain capacity, so there's a finite limit on information transfer when it comes down to it.

But that doesn't mean it has been years. That's just the impression that I got.
  • Options

The rules of grammar...

There are no ‘rules if grammar.’ There are common patterns, regional patterns, unusual patterns, but there are no rules; no governing body gets to prescribe grammar rules. ‘Their’ used as a singular replacement for his/her is a common grammar pattern in English.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Rara wrote: »
    The rules of grammar...

There are no ‘rules if grammar.’ There are common patterns, regional patterns, unusual patterns, but there are no rules; no governing body gets to prescribe grammar rules. ‘Their’ used as a singular replacement for his/her is a common grammar pattern in English.

There are absolutely rules of grammar. That's why they have English classes in school that you get graded on. What you are getting graded on is your grasp of the rules of grammar.

There are indeed institutions that "decide" upon the rules of grammar. They are the academic institutions. The ones responsible for the laying the foundation of practically all academic achievement and advancements.
  • Options

There are absolutely rules of grammar.

This is a common misconception. Modern linguistics does not favorably view prescriptive grammar. The modern approach uses descriptive grammar instead. Some languages such as French and Afrikaans do have governing bodies for grammar. However, English does not.
  • Options

There are absolutely rules of grammar.

This is a common misconception. Modern linguistics does not favorably view prescriptive grammar. The modern approach uses descriptive grammar instead. Some languages such as French and Afrikaans do have governing bodies for grammar. However, English does not.

What you are saying may be true from a "path we'd like to follow" kind of viewpoint, but it isn't actually in practice yet or people wouldn't be getting grades for their grammar in school, and I assure you they are.

Just because there is no governmental body that decides upon the rules of grammar, doesn't mean they aren't. They still are, it is merely the academic institutions that are creating the rules.
  • Options
    I just started binge watching Rebels - got to season 2 finale, while something hit me..
    - Maul reveals his true identity to Ezra... And so does Vader/Anakin to Ashoka.. I’d be so into getting a new Maul, with cybernetic legs and all that. Both of them, are old foes, especially Maul, taken into consideration he was using a cane.

I called the shots, boys
  • Options

Prescriptive grammar is rejected by linguists. If you really care to follow prescriptive grammar, the singular they is accepted by:
    Washing Post Stlye Guide
    Associated Press Stylebook
    Federation Press Style Guide
    Cambridge Guide to English Usage
    Garner’s Modern American Usage
    Fowler’s Modern English Usage

So many prescriptive grammarians accept this. If your grade school textbook disagrees, it is out of date.
  • Options

Prescriptive grammar is rejected by linguists. If you really care to follow prescriptive grammar, the singular they is accepted by:
    Washing Post Stlye Guide
    Associated Press Stylebook
    Federation Press Style Guide
    Cambridge Guide to English Usage
    Garner’s Modern American Usage
    Fowler’s Modern English Usage

So many prescriptive grammarians accept this. If your grade school textbook disagrees, it is out of date.

Well it's funny that I got marked down exactly for using their as an **** non plural in my transferable college level English course just 1 year ago. So, no offense, but i will stick with my recent academic experience over your descriptions of a more liberal view on the matter that you claim is currently holding sway.
  • Options
    Maybe it's someone who wears their mask for the first time. Lind of like how Vader wasn't Vader before the mask. Same with Nihilus. I'm sure someone out there fits the bill.
  • Options

Well it's funny that I got marked down exactly for using their as an **** non plural in my transferable college level English course just 1 year ago. So, no offense, but i will stick with my recent academic experience over your descriptions of a more liberal view on the matter that you claim is currently holding sway.

It was likely correct for your instructor to mark you down. College classes in Endlish often provide a specific style guide for students to use. So if you were using the 15th Edition of the Chicago Manual of Style, then your instructor was correct. However, if you were using the Washington Post Manual of Style, singular they is accepted.

So while you had this marked incorrect, another student in a different class may have it marked as correct. This is why linguists do not prefer prescriptive grammar. It makes little sense to tell a native speaker of a language that they speak/write incorrectly.

Singular they is commonly used in English. It’s not ‘right’ or ‘wrong.’
  • Options

It was likely correct for your instructor to mark you down. College classes in Endlish often provide a specific style guide for students to use. So if you were using the 15th Edition of the Chicago Manual of Style, then your instructor was correct. However, if you were using the Washington Post Manual of Style, singular they is accepted.

So while you had this marked incorrect, another student in a different class may have it marked as correct. This is why linguists do not prefer prescriptive grammar. It makes little sense to tell a native speaker of a language that they speak/write incorrectly.

Singular they is commonly used in English. It’s not ‘right’ or ‘wrong.’

Your protestations are not carrying weight with me. It's been a rule since before I was born, and I was just marked down for it. If linguists are veering away from an approach where they try and have a formal universally accepted standard in lieu of having different standards for regional dialects, it's both news to me, and a bad idea to boot.

It's one thing to allow people to use their own dialects in their circles or areas, but when it comes to studies, manuscripts, or other publications that reach across borders (I'm not talking internationally here) there has always been a universal standard, and I find it hard to believe that has been abandoned any more then I would believe that news broadcasters are no longer encouraged to have mastered non-regional dialect when performing on a national level.

The whole point of having a universal standard is to force people to think about their words critically. To eliminate it because they want to allow everyone to be right is rather foolhardy and I hope that what you are saying isn't true. It would lead us further down the path of participation trophies in my opinion, and is an approach that should be shunned if it is making its way into academia.

• Options
    Inb4 Darth Nihilus is Snoke
  • Options
    Jango Fett with no helmet!! ‘Bout time, CG!
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    The proper english debates are getting heated!
  • Rara
    26 posts Member
    Options
    It's been a rule since before I was born.

I don’t think you understand the point. Show me where this ‘universal rule’ is written at?

You are conflating different things. There are multiple accepted styles of grammar, not a singular universal one. Just because your English essay instructor marked it as wrong doesn’t mean the entire English speaking world must adhere to their rule. It was incorrect in that class, while it may be correct in another class.
  • Options
    Fantasty wrote: »
    Inb4 Darth Nihilus is Snoke

lol. Darth Nihilus isn't even canon
    It's been a rule since before I was born.

I don’t think you understand the point. Show me where this ‘universal rule’ is written at?

You are conflating different things. There are multiple accepted styles of grammar, not a singular universal one. Just because your English essay instructor marked it as wrong doesn’t mean the entire English speaking world must adhere to their rule. It was incorrect in that class, while it may be correct in another class.

You misunderstood my last post. The problem is if it DOESN'T exist. It always did in the past, why would we abandon it? If the rules of grammar change from region to region, a person's grammatical scores go down simply because they moved elsewhere in the country?

How is that justified? Why are you trying to propagate a system that would commit such an atrocity? If that rule has changed to what you say it has, then **** have taken over our academic circles (which would explain our poor performance on the national scale when it comes to education).

The standard was set the way it was for a reason, and just because some sects may have moved away from having a universal system doesn't mean that the universal system no longer exists, merely that those outside it have extricated themselves from the path to advancement to be on the path to "everyone's mediocre" instead.

To put it another way, since you obviously misunderstood my last post: Even if what you are saying is true, it shouldn't be bandied about as it is a travesty that will lower education standards so I still reject it in favor of the universal system of grammar that was predominant until recently. When we change the universal rules of grammar to include they as an **** singular pronoun, then it will be right. Until then, it is simply a mockery of higher learning.

• Rara
    26 posts Member
    Options
    [quote="Woodroward;c-1320634
    If the rules of grammar...
    [/quote]

Can you provide a link to these rules?
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    There is no link to a universal set of rules, because there is no universal set of rules. This isn’t the American Psychiatric Association with the official DSM-5. There is no official English grammar standard or law. There are only trends and widespread practices, none of which are universal and all of which evolve over time.

Which is the “law” for academic writing: MLA, APA, or Chicago format? There is no law, only preference.

https://www.thoughtco.com/singular-they-grammar-1691963

In January 2016, the American Dialect Society chose the gender-neutral singular they as its Word of the Year: "They was recognized by the society for its emerging use as a pronoun to refer to a known person, often as a conscious choice by a person rejecting the traditional gender binary of he and she" (American Dialect Society press release, January 8, 2016).

EXAMPLES
    "When a person talks too much, they learn little." (Duncan Hines, Lodging for a Night, 1938)

"If anybody wants their admission fee back, they can get it at the door." ("Fiddler's Dram." Spooky South: Tales of Hauntings, Strange Happenings, and Other Local Lore, retold by S. E. Schlosser. Globe Pequot, 2004)

"She admired the fullness of the dirty net curtains, opened every drawer and cupboard, and, when she found the Gideon's Bible, said, 'Somebody's left their book behind.'" (Sue Townsend, Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction. Lily Broadway Productions, 2004)

"She kept her head and kicked her shoes off, as everybody ought to do who falls into deep water in their clothes." (C.S. Lewis, Voyage of the Dawn-Treader, 1952)

"I know when I like a person directly I see them!" (Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out, 1915)

"'A person can't help their birth,' Rosalind replied with great liberality." (William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair, 1848)
  • Rara
    26 posts Member
    Options
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    There is no link to a universal set of rules, because there is no universal set of rules.

Exactly
  • Options
    [quote="Woodroward;c-1320634
    If the rules of grammar...

Can you provide a link to these rules?
    [/quote]
    You have a problem with comprehension. It's okay, but don't expect me to help you with it any longer.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    There is no link to a universal set of rules, because there is no universal set of rules. This isn’t the American Psychiatric Association with the official DSM-5. There is no official English grammar standard or law. There are only trends and widespread practices, none of which are universal and all of which evolve over time.

Which is the “law” for academic writing: MLA, APA, or Chicago format? There is no law, only preference.

https://www.thoughtco.com/singular-they-grammar-1691963

In January 2016, the American Dialect Society chose the gender-neutral singular they as its Word of the Year: "They was recognized by the society for its emerging use as a pronoun to refer to a known person, often as a conscious choice by a person rejecting the traditional gender binary of he and she" (American Dialect Society press release, January 8, 2016).

EXAMPLES
    "When a person talks too much, they learn little." (Duncan Hines, Lodging for a Night, 1938)

"If anybody wants their admission fee back, they can get it at the door." ("Fiddler's Dram." Spooky South: Tales of Hauntings, Strange Happenings, and Other Local Lore, retold by S. E. Schlosser. Globe Pequot, 2004)

"She admired the fullness of the dirty net curtains, opened every drawer and cupboard, and, when she found the Gideon's Bible, said, 'Somebody's left their book behind.'" (Sue Townsend, Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction. Lily Broadway Productions, 2004)

"She kept her head and kicked her shoes off, as everybody ought to do who falls into deep water in their clothes." (C.S. Lewis, Voyage of the Dawn-Treader, 1952)

"I know when I like a person directly I see them!" (Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out, 1915)

"'A person can't help their birth,' Rosalind replied with great liberality." (William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair, 1848)

Aye, that's a big problem. They've done away with a national standard of grammar. Oh woe betide our education system due to this mockery of higher learning. Like I said, go on and celebrate our further advancement into participation trophy style learning that destroys people's needs to examine such things as the composition of our sentences.

Insisting upon this as though it has always been is fallacious. Whether or not it is now, it is still a bad thing, and shouldn't be recognized by anyone.

If the system isn't national, it's worthless. If a language isn't built on a solid foundation of common rules all it does is lead to misunderstandings and make it harder to convey information.

They removed it maybe. Gee that's great. Next let's remove nutrition information from food products. Afterwards, we can remove treatment directions from hazardous materials.

Seriously, Ya'll need to quit spouting on about this change as though it should be embraced.
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My guess is robo-maul. With mother talzin in game now and yoda telling kenobi about an 'old foe' .. ok... don't ruin it for me. I want spider or robo-maul
This discussion has been closed.