Powercreep: how is swgoh handling it?

Prev13
Neo2551
1824 posts Member
Traya is really strong, although ZFinn RT Poe and Holdo pretty stomp over her. This does not take out that she has an incredible kit, and question is how CG is going to balance all this for the “long term health of the game”.

Replies

• Options
    Moar Powercreep!!!!!!!!
  • Cossin
    301 posts Member
    Options
    They don‘t!
    Otherwise they would have realized that a 50% nerf of expose makes no sense if the next raids has the double the hp again....

They just go with the flow, release the next toons and in doubt, nerf old toons to make newer toons stronger and more valuable...

Still my impression.... I bet Bossk will be a Sithraid Monster behind a massive pay/playwall
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Right now (pre treya) we see a fairly diverse meta that allows a few teams to be able to hold their own.

I know there are concerns about treya, but as always it's a wait and see.

I think things have been heading in the right direction for a while as far as pvp is concerned, but that may be shard dependent.

Power creep is always present, and they have handled it well enough. Maybe a bump or 2 on the way.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Cossin wrote: »
    They don‘t!
    Otherwise they would have realized that a 50% nerf of expose makes no sense if the next raids has the double the hp again....

They just go with the flow, release the next toons and in doubt, nerf old toons to make newer toons stronger and more valuable...

Still my impression.... I bet Bossk will be a Sithraid Monster behind a massive pay/playwall

Honestly from the information we have in hand I dont think that will be the case.

With the rework of 4 and the addition of one new one through a marquee, I see the inevitable path as, we will see a legendary requiring BH. Bossk may be good in the raid, but he will be behind the same paywall as other marquee.

With the cadence as stated there is no paywall that could be introduced beyond the ones already in place, unless a marquee is "required" for a legendary/hero event before he is farmable. But we have more than 5 BH already, so it may just be harder without him, but doable. Kinda like Thrawn, with the chopper/sabine debate.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    Traya is really strong, although ZFinn RT Poe and Holdo pretty stomp over her. This does not take out that she has an incredible kit, and question is how CG is going to balance all this for the “long term health of the game”.

Their bussiness model relies on a certain amount of power creep and not balancing everything. It's a well known strategy and CG have great success with it.
  • Options
    GK is still viable. When he was first getting unlocked I hated facing him and wanted to unlock him ASAP.
    Treyas kit looks crazy but as with everything time is the great leveler here. I know that’s probably the most hated answer on this forum but it is true.
    Also I think this when the forums shine: putting together teams that oppose the super op ones.
  • Options
    I know for awhile traya teams will be the bane of the arena lol.. there's YouTube videos of the triumvirate going 3v5 against the current top favorites in the arena and beating them.
  • Options
    I know for awhile traya teams will be the bane of the arena lol.. there's YouTube videos of the triumvirate going 3v5 against the current top favorites in the arena and beating them.

That's how they will deal with it. Stinks but until most people have her she will dominate. Once most guilds can beat hsr. They will make a counter. Don't expect it anytime soon.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    Options
    It’s just going to switch up the meta again because just cause teams beat them doesn’t mean they are areana viable at all. I think the real divider will be those with Sion and those without.

I also haven’t seen a video yet of Treya,Sion, Nihlas, MT and zombie lol
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    Traya has been unlocked for only a few days and I’m already tired of her. No one remembers KOTOR specifically for Traya, but now she is the best toon in the game hands down. Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena. A team can be overpowered, but there should always be a limit. A team with 3 toons should never be able to full auto another team on the same level. Traya is better than both CLS and RJT, 2 of the most exclusive and iconic characters in the game, and she is only a raid reward. We need an awesome reward for the sith raid, but this is too much. Once she is unlocked in a massive scale, all diversity in the game will be gone, and the teams that can win in offense will drop dozens of places overnight. “This is the end. We’re all doomed” -Sha’a Gi
  • MoBlaq
    582 posts Member
    Options
    I'm guessing BH(s) will roll her when they get their revamp
  • Options
    MoBlaq wrote: »
    I'm guessing BH(s) will roll her when they get their revamp

I thought they would be more PVE-esque. That’s a total guess though. If it’s any -it will be Bossk.
    I say the true counter will be with a Jedi pass.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena.

Except Droids+Poe when the game first started... and Dooku lead with Rey shortly after... and Wegde+Biggs after that which eventually morphed into the Danger Zone squad... and the Palpatine meta that killed that off... and the Zaul meta that emerged after Zetas came out... and the triple cleanse that mostly killed that off... and the CLS+R2 meta that finished the job... and the JTR meta... and the most recent Zeta Palpatine meta.

So basically 90% of all major arena shifts have been OP, and gutted most other squads to some degree. Anyone remember Chirrut and Baze beating other meta teams 2 vs 5 with no leader ability? Yeah that wasn't fun. But we will adapt, survive, and overcome.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena.

Except Droids+Poe when the game first started... and Dooku lead with Rey shortly after... and Wegde+Biggs after that which eventually morphed into the Danger Zone squad... and the Palpatine meta that killed that off... and the Zaul meta that emerged after Zetas came out... and the triple cleanse that mostly killed that off... and the CLS+R2 meta that finished the job... and the JTR meta... and the most recent Zeta Palpatine meta.

So basically 90% of all major arena shifts have been OP, and gutted most other squads to some degree. Anyone remember Chirrut and Baze beating other meta teams 2 vs 5 with no leader ability? Yeah that wasn't fun. But we will adapt, survive, and overcome.

VOkKNW5.jpg
  • Options
    Traya has been unlocked for only a few days and I’m already tired of her. No one remembers KOTOR specifically for Traya, but now she is the best toon in the game hands down. Never have we seen a more blatant and overpowered counter to nearly every team in arena. A team can be overpowered, but there should always be a limit. A team with 3 toons should never be able to full auto another team on the same level. Traya is better than both CLS and RJT, 2 of the most exclusive and iconic characters in the game, and she is only a raid reward. We need an awesome reward for the sith raid, but this is too much. Once she is unlocked in a massive scale, all diversity in the game will be gone, and the teams that can win in offense will drop dozens of places overnight. “This is the end. We’re all doomed” -Sha’a Gi

What? And what do you remember KOTOR 2 for? Bao Dur?
  • Options

The most memorable character is hands down the Jedi disciple :p
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone remember Chirrut and Baze beating other meta teams 2 vs 5 with no leader ability? Yeah that wasn't fun. But we will adapt, survive, and overcome.

loved that tbh and i still don't have baze.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

lol my boy Bao Dur. Kreia/Traya is arguably the most important character in KOTOR 2 other than the exile that you are playing as.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Except Droids+Poe when the game first started... and Dooku lead with Rey shortly after... and Wegde+Biggs after that which eventually morphed into the Danger Zone squad... and the Palpatine meta that killed that off...

Wiggs killed EP META — not the other way.

... but good point anyway.
  • Options
    This isn’t like an mmo where you pay a monthly subscription. They WANT power creep in this game. That’s how they make money. Release a new Uber character that is stronger than the last one, making people want to spend money to get it. I’m not saying this is a good or bad thing, I’m just pointing out that it’s the business model they use, or at least part of it, and it’s the same business model nearly all games similar to this use. To maximize profit you need to keep releasing things people want to spend money on. New characters, new content that uses characters that weren’t used before, etc.
  • Options

Many of those metas weren't blatantly overpowered like traya appears to be. Dooku/Rey was more annoying than overpowered, and wiggs could be beat by droids, Rex, and Jedi teams.

Traya looks like she's similar to how chaze was but at least when chaze came out they also released zeta abilities at the same time, so people who were smart with farming zetas could keep in step. I don't see anything like that so far
  • Options

Many of those metas weren't blatantly overpowered like traya appears to be. Dooku/Rey was more annoying than overpowered, and wiggs could be beat by droids, Rex, and Jedi teams.

Traya looks like she's similar to how chaze was but at least when chaze came out they also released zeta abilities at the same time, so people who were smart with farming zetas could keep in step. I don't see anything like that so far

I think what Jacen is conveying is that toons/teams have always been op at a time and follow through on being pushed back after time.
    Treya’s opness is also because this game is different than the days of dooku and Rey.
  • Options

I think what Jacen is conveying is that toons/teams have always been op at a time and follow through on being pushed back after time.
    Treya’s opness is also because this game is different than the days of dooku and Rey.

Anytime you have a meta people are going to complain about it being overpowered. The real question, is whether or not that complaining is justified. Is that specific set of characters so overpowered that other very strong teams reasonably can't compete against it?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

There is also a chance that if/when a new meta emerges, a new counter comes out to balance it to some extent. I know there has been some theory crafting but it always takes time for a solid counter to emerge, some people just need to be in the heat of battle to be inspired.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

There is also a chance that if/when a new meta emerges, a new counter comes out to balance it to some extent. I know there has been some theory crafting but it always takes time for a solid counter to emerge, some people just need to be in the heat of battle to be inspired.

Yep. Also new toons are coming with the Solo movie.
    A good chance the counter will have a Rex lead. Lolol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Yes and no, rex lead relies on a tank, which is usually GK. AI likes his cleans which leads to retribution..... retribution is bad with treya, em kay.
  • Options

Yes and no, rex lead relies on a tank, which is usually GK. AI likes his cleans which leads to retribution..... retribution is bad with treya, em kay.

I’m so out of the loop! Playing the third tier of with raid. I just Auto it.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    .You just made me remember ye olden days when GS was considered strong enough to become a meme on this forum...
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    Options
    Remember when Sun Fac was meta
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

How about we wait until she is actually in the game before pronouncing with such certainty that the sky is falling.

Also several of those metas were far, far worse than you are admitting. There was a time when the top 50 of my arena was 47 Dookus, and 3 QGJs. Rey was the only instakill in the game doing 2-3 times the damage of any other attacker. It wasn't, "annoying." It was THE only viable team.

CLS was the worst in the history of the game as far as I recall. The SWGOH.gg meta report looked like a blue Packman eating all other teams.

And Chase could literally 2 vs 5 anything in existence at the time they were released.

So if Treya destroys the meta I won't be surprised. It's happened repeatedly. But it's not some new, shocking event that's never occurred before. And I actually want to see it happen before I believe it. Once she's in the wild, players will find the cracks in her armor if any exist.