Mods are actually very nerfed

Prev1
Hey everyone,

I was listening to some podcast, I think it was Warrior Presents, where a Game Dev said that they are "slightly" changing how secondary stats upgrades work - he said that people used to abuse green mods, that had speed as a single secondary, where the upgrade to that secondary was guaranteed and said that they will change it so now it first adds the new secondary and then upgrades one. That however seems to be a lie.

As it currently works, upgrading a green one to 3,6 and 9 only adds a new secondary, without upgrading neither the newly added, nor one of the previous ones. As a result getting a good speed roll is close to impossible.

You need to get a golden one off the bat (very rare), have it with the proper primary (extremely rare) and also have it belong to the correct set (outrageously rare). Then you need to also be insanely lucky to get 3+ upgrades on speed in order for it to get to that dreamy 20+. According to my maths, for this to happen you would need an event that has a 25% probability to happen at least 3 out of 4 times, which is like 1.5%

So in reality, only 1.5% of your golden mods that dropped with the correct primary and speed secondary will become truly great, which kinda sucks IMO.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Replies

• Options
    To illustrate this - before the nerf you could get this:

knwluaacpyub.jpg

A nice little mod, that started out gray, guy got lucky to get speed at 3, upgrade at 6 was guaranteed, upgrade at 9 was a 50/50 and at 12 was a 1 in 3, so a grand total of 16%. You have a 16% that a trash mod can become an OK mod.

No compare it to this (seems someone already got that lucky to post it):

bybwt291ioca.jpg

He bypassed the extremely low probability for this mod to even drop from challenges (he purchased it) and still the thing that happened to him has like a <1% chance to occur.

• Options
    Odds are horrible, but better than the 0.10% chance of 330 shards from a character pack
  • Options
    What? If you get a gray it unlocks a new secondary at 3, 6, 9, and 12. The greens now get a new secondary at 3, 6, 9. And an upgrade at 12. Etc
    Secondly, how did you get a 6 dot mod already? And when was this nerf? The new mod changes have been out for 2 days, (i don’t know about test acounts, but that can’t really be a nerf, if it before relese, can it?)
  • Options
    What? If you get a gray it unlocks a new secondary at 3, 6, 9, and 12. The greens now get a new secondary at 3, 6, 9. And an upgrade at 12. Etc
    Secondly, how did you get a 6 dot mod already? And when was this nerf? The new mod changes have been out for 2 days, (i don’t know about test acounts, but that can’t really be a nerf, if it before relese, can it?)

Not my account, another dude. Not sure how he got materials so fast, he probably sunk a lot of crystals into refreshes or purchased materials with crystals.

That being said, I need to highlight something you might have missed.

Situation - You have a green mod with a speed secondary at level 1.

Before the changes:

Upgrade to level 3 - you upgrade your speed stats 100% of the time AND get a 2nd secondary
    Upgrade to level 6 - you have a 50% chance to upgrade your speed secondary AND get a 3rd secondary
    Upgrade to level 9 - you have a 33% chance to upgrade your speed secondary AND get a 4th secondary
    Upgrade to level 12 - you have a 25% chance to upgrade your speed secondary

Now:

Upgrade to level 3 - you get a 2nd secondary, no upgrades
    Upgrade to level 6 - you get a 3rd secondary, no upgrades
    Upgrade to level 9 - you get a 4th secondary, no upgrades
    Upgrade to level 12 - you have a 25% chance to upgrade speed secondary

Because this guy had this mod from before the changes, he has a total of 4 (!) upgrades on a gray mod - see how it says (4) (2) (1) (1). Now every level 15 gray mod is (1) (1) (1) (1).

• Options
    I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    People love throwing around the word nerf. Existing mods are not being nerfed. The upgrade process is, and only in a way that blue and purple mods with speed have a lower chance of becoming good as compared to before. The best way always has been, and still remains, to get a gold mod with speed and have all 4 upgrades hit speed.
  • Options
    No. Before the changes using your green mod with speed.
    Level 3: increase speed.
    Levels 6, 9, 12: additional secondaries.

The ONLY time that speed stat could increase was at level 3.
  • Options
    It actually gives crap blue and purple mods with no speed value. upgrading to 3 or 6 can reveal a speed that cold roll.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Random9 wrote: »
    It actually gives **** blue and purple mods with no speed value. upgrading to 3 or 6 can reveal a speed that cold roll.

This.

All.mods that didnt have speed, now have a chance of being useful.
  • Options
    Pencheff wrote: »

Not my account, another dude. Not sure how he got materials so fast, he probably sunk a lot of crystals into refreshes or purchased materials with crystals.

Before the changes:

Upgrade to level 3 - you upgrade your speed stats 100% of the time AND get a 2nd secondary
    Upgrade to level 6 - you have a 50% chance to upgrade your speed secondary AND get a 3rd secondary
    Upgrade to level 9 - you have a 33% chance to upgrade your speed secondary AND get a 4th secondary

Now:

Because this guy had this mod from before the changes, he has a total of 4 (!) upgrades on a gray mod - see how it says (4) (2) (1) (1). Now every level 15 gray mod is (1) (1) (1) (1).

It's not a level 15 gray mod. It's a level 15 6E mod that looks like it was sliced from gray to green to blue to people to gold to 6E picking up 1 upgrade at each slice.
  • Options
    Haven’t been able to invest much time in SWGOH this month. Have some speed secondary mods sitting around that I haven’t leveled. This answers the biggest question I had with this release.

People have invested heavily into non-gold mods they knew had a good chance of getting a given attribute (typically speed) upgraded. The way these mods will upgrade now has totally devalued those investments.

This could have all been avoided by tagging mods as 1.0 or 2.0 on the backend and having them upgrade as they would have when acquired. Everybody happy.

• Chat
    18 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Before the changes:

[...]

I see why you think this was a nerf, but it's based on a misconception. This is how it worked before the changes:
    Upgrade to level 3 - Visible secondary stat increased
    Upgrade to level 6 - 2nd secondary stat appears. No secondary stat increases
    Upgrade to level 9 - 3rd secondary stat appears. No secondary stat increases
    Upgrade to level 12 - 4th secondary stat appears. No secondary stat increases

For reference that this is how it worked, I'll point to https://gaming-fans.com/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/swgoh-101-mod-guide-colorsqualities/
    The update rearranged the above so secondary stats appeared first, then you get the stat increases. This method has its advantages and disadvantages.

Every level 15 gray mod is (1) (1) (1) (1), check your own mods that you have. That picture isn't showing a gray mod, it's showing a 6-E mod, which you can only obtain by slicing a 5-A mod to upgrade it. Yeah, it's pretty confusing that 6-E isn't a higher dot E type mod (grays) but is instead a higher dot, improved in every way A type (gold). They're obviously intending to add another 4 levels on top of the 6-E in the future.
  • Lightsabermon
    101 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Before the changes:

Now:

It's not a level 15 gray mod. It's a level 15 6E mod that looks like it was sliced from gray to green to blue to people to gold to 6E picking up 1 upgrade at each slice.

This, level 3, sliced, auto upgraded speed, because it was the only secondary, then leveled to 15

Edit: if you call a 6e mod a gray mod, your just wrong
  • Chat
    18 posts Member
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

Before the changes:

Now:

This, level 3, sliced, auto upgraded speed, because it was the only secondary, then leveled to 15

Edit: if you call a 6e mod a gray mod, your just wrong

Slicing can only be done on level 15 mods.
  • Lightsabermon
    101 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Based on the fact that this person has a 6e mod from a gray mod, (lots of salvage) with +19 speed, (lots of luck), in 1 day, if you don’t think thats ubsurd, or hundreds if not thousands of dollars into ONE mod, your crazy, so I’m assuming its a test account. Also, do you think they did a nerf in 1 day? Without an update? As soon as you could “get” a 6e mod, this so called nerf was already there. (Its a nerf sure, but its a nerf that made sense, the higher teir mod is the better mod, until slicing)

Edit: so i think in the test there was a time where you could slice at any level. Also, @pencheff whos mod is this?
  • Options
    Thats why they told you upgrade your green mods with a speed secondary before the update to take advantage of the old system.
  • Options

Before the changes:

Now:

You really have no idea how mods work at all do you.
  • Options

Before the changes:

Now:

You really have no idea how mods work at all do you.

This
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    Even if his speed did upgrade before the update, the update put 1s in front of every secondary. The only way those numbers increase is through slicing which changes the color of the mod.
  • JIVJI
    16 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody have a feeling they nerfed the drop rates ... 5th day of farming mods and no trail of blue or purple 5 dots .. I`m starting to dream about any kind of gold mod almost every night :smiley:
  • Options
    I was slightly off with my calculations and mechanics, but slightly. As you can see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atE0jQ5sV1Q&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=507

• Chat
    18 posts Member
    Options
    I was slightly off with my calculations and mechanics, but slightly. As you can see in this video:

How so? That video literally shows it working how we've been saying it did. If green, the shown secondary upgrades, then the others are added. Never that secondaries are upgraded at the same time that new ones are revealed. Mods pre 2.0 are no stronger than the post 2.0 ones.

Also bear in mind the old greens would never be your best mods at the end of the day, because you only ever got 1 upgrade on that speed. That was nice, but purples and golds were the source of the strongest, while blues were the most consistently decent speed secondaries.
  • Options
    Chat wrote: »

How so? That video literally shows it working how we've been saying it did. If green, the shown secondary upgrades, then the others are added. Never that secondaries are upgraded at the same time that new ones are revealed. Mods pre 2.0 are no stronger than the post 2.0 ones.

Also bear in mind the old greens would never be your best mods at the end of the day, because you only ever got 1 upgrade on that speed. That was nice, but purples and golds were the source of the strongest, while blues were the most consistently decent speed secondaries.

Prior to update - Green Mods with Speed:
    -Guaranteed to be 10 speed and unlock 3 stats by lvl 12
    -with slicing you have a 3x 25% chance to upgrade a secondary stat.
    Summary: 1 guaranteed upgrade to speed and 3x random upgrades to secondary stats with slicing.

Post Update - Green Mods with Speed:
    -No Guarantee to hit speed just 1 25% chance to buff a secondary stat
    Summary: 0 guaranteed upgrades to speed and 4x random upgrades to secondary stats with slicing.

Green, Blue, Purple Mods released before this update have a MUCH HIGHER CHANCE at having more speed, therefore new mods are all weaker compared to the existing mods already farmed in the game.

Yes in theory now all mods can reach the same level with slicing, but this just further gives more advantage to older mods because now the old green mod isn't limited to 10 speed it can be upgraded to gold and have +25 speed if you get lucky. Your already guaranteed the buff to speed since it was green and you already upgraded it in the old system. In a way this makes old green and blue BETTER THAN GOLD because gold was always 25% random but green and blue were a much higher chance to hit speed, just they were limited to 10 or 15 speed, but they are not limited to 10 or 15 anymore since now u can slice them and make them gold and speed may even go to +25 since it is already +10 or +15

Having a guaranteed 10 speed with 3 additional 25% chances to buff speed again is NOT THE SAME AS just 4 25% chances at upgrading speed. Old mods are WAY better than new ones. This is black and white.

• Options

Summary: 1 guaranteed upgrade to speed and 3x random upgrades to secondary stats with slicing.

Summary: 0 guaranteed upgrades to speed and 4x random upgrades to secondary stats with slicing.

Green, Blue, Purple Mods released before this update have a MUCH HIGHER CHANCE at having more speed, therefore new mods are all weaker compared to the existing mods already farmed in the game.

Yes in theory now all mods can reach the same level with slicing, but this just further gives more advantage to older mods because now the old green mod isn't limited to 10 speed it can be upgraded to gold and have +25 speed if you get lucky. Your already guaranteed the buff to speed since it was green and you already upgraded it in the old system. In a way this makes old green and blue BETTER THAN GOLD because gold was always 25% random but green and blue were a much higher chance to hit speed, just they were limited to 10 or 15 speed, but they are not limited to 10 or 15 anymore since now u can slice them and make them gold and speed may even go to +25 since it is already +10 or +15

Having a guaranteed 10 speed with 3 additional 25% chances to buff speed again is NOT THE SAME AS just 4 25% chances at upgrading speed. Old mods are WAY better than new ones. This is black and white.

I wouldn't say "weaker" and I think that's what people here are trying to say. A lower chance of rolling a particular secondary is just less opportunity to roll a secondary. That doesn't make them "weaker", just different.

It's very different, definitely. But mods, especially mod set bonuses, are improved. (Of course tenacity is still a broken debacle, but that's a whole 'nother subject.)
  • Options
    Well that's just not true at all. You're being incredibly disingenuous by cherry-picking your numbers this way. A speed secondary starts anywhere from 3 to 5, and when it gets bumped up it increases by another 3 to 5, meaning you're "guaranteed" to have anywhere from 6 to 10 speed. (And let's not get into the bug that would cause green mods to occasionally not increase their original stat if you went from 1 to 15 in one go.)

You're also looking at this in a deliberately wrong way. Before the update, if you had a green mod with, say, protection as its original secondary stat, the highest you could hope for was a speed of 5. Normally you'd just sell it, so whatever, who cares. Now you can level that mod up and potentially get speed and a bump t speed. Furthermore, you can slice it to new quality tiers and get even more speed, whereas before you were just stuck with what you rolled. Everyone was so scared of slicing requirements that they were convinced it'd be cost prohibitive to bring a gray mod up to gold, but it takes almost no time at all.

Finally, you're ignoring that the entire point of the update was to make speed less important. True, anyone who had speed before the updates now potentially has more, but what would you rather have had them do? Remove things we've already worked on? Improving the set bonus, improving secondaries at 6-dots, these are all things that have lessened the value of speed secondaries and allow you to branch out and try new things. Start working on offense, you won't regret it. You'll complain about it, but you won't regret it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Definitely. Speed secondary increase odd rates were nerfed drastically. Interesting that the only sure (decent odds anyway) way to get big speed secondaries now is with CGs store pack.
  • Options
    Still seeing 4dot mods in the store and drop rates are horrible in challenge for speed mods, offense and health. Having good returns in all the others.
  • Options

Actually

Green mod with speed secondary
    Before update:
    1x100% chance to upgrade speed
    (No slicing pre update)
    Post update:
    4x25% chance to upgrade speed
    (Slicing but different leveling)